02/19/11 12:03 AM
02/19/11 12:03 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Have a warped panel on my door from welding a patch in and I took my time but still ended up with a warp. The warp went in and needless to say this has pissed me off. Is there a way to unwarp the panel?

Re: How do you fix warped panel? [Re: ] #932132
02/19/11 12:43 AM
02/19/11 12:43 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
I've seen it done with an oxy-acetylene torch ... in the expanded areas you heat a spot the size of a pencil eraser until its cherry red then you immediatly quench it with a cold wet rag. You keep doing this a couple inches apart in the high area until the panel is back in shape.

Re: How do you fix warped panel? [Re: Stanton] #932133
02/19/11 01:04 AM
02/19/11 01:04 AM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
A small propane torch can be used to shrink car sheet metal without altering the metal properties like an acetylene unit does. All that's needed is enough heat to create a little steam when its quenched.

If it's an oil can dent you can lightly poke your finger around the dent until you find the trigger spot that makes it move. Apply heat to that spot for a few seconds and then quench it. All it takes is a few seconds even with the torch turned down. The steel will get hot enough to make the metal move long before it starts turning red or blue.

If the dent is fixed and doesn't pop in and out then maybe it can be raised up by hammering on or off dolly, assuming it can be accessed from both sides.

Re: How do you fix warped panel? [Re: Neil] #932134
02/19/11 05:49 PM
02/19/11 05:49 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Tried the torch trick and no luck.

Re: How do you fix warped panel? [Re: ] #932135
02/19/11 07:59 PM
02/19/11 07:59 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
How nany times did you do it? It takes more than one shot.

I removed an oil can dent from one of my brother's hoods using a propane torch. It took awhile, but I was able to bring it within 1/16" of being prefectly flat, and it didn't pop in and out when you touched it.

Can you shrink it with a pick hammer and a dolly?

There are several guys on here who do bodywork for a living so maybe one of them will read your post and help you out.

Re: How do you fix warped panel? [Re: ] #932136
02/19/11 08:13 PM
02/19/11 08:13 PM
Missouri
C
Challenger Offline
enthusiast
Challenger  Offline
enthusiast
C

Missouri
Quote:

Have a warped panel on my door from welding a patch in and I took my time but still ended up with a warp. The warp went in and needless to say this has pissed me off. Is there a way to unwarp the panel?

You say the warp went in which I interpret as low. The weld(heat) is shrinking the metal. Applying more heat to it with a torch is NOT what you want to do. You need to stretch NOT shrink. In order to do that you will have to grind the weld proud down some but be careful so as not to make that seam to thin. Then with a dolly inside the door on the weld seam hit it with a hammer on the outside on the weld seam right where you have the dolly. If you have done it right you will hear a ting sound meaning that you made contact between the hammer and dolly. That will stretch the metal and bring the in warp out.