02/08/11 09:55 PM
02/08/11 09:55 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I have read and talked to guys about the advantages of quench in wedge engines, but its still a little confusing to me.
I am looking at the realization that I'll have to pull the 493 from my Charger, and while the motor is out, I might consider some changes.
As is, the pistons sit .017 in the hole at TDC. I have used the Fel Pro .039 head gasket and have Edelbrock 88cc heads. From what I have read, I would need to be at ZERO deck to get any QUENCH effect, but I am already at 10.8 to one now. another .017 would certainly push me into the 11s and I cant see that helping detonation any. I want the engine to be MORE streetable with the ability to run midgrade if I am on the road and cant get anything better. I heard that once you get more than .040 clearance from the piston to the head at TDC, the effects of quench goes away. I guess I COULD order a set of $750 custom dished pistons, but unless the fine members here want to start an engine rebuild charity fund, I think I'll pass on that.

Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: Kern Dog] #924059
02/08/11 10:29 PM
02/08/11 10:29 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
YOu don't need a zero deck for a quench engine.

Imagine if you will, a closed chamber head and a flat top piston. If the clearance between them is small enough at TDC you will have quench. Very generally speaking .035-.055" is where you want to be. The tighter you go the greater the possibility you will smack parts together, the looser you go the less quench effect. It take good machining to set this up.

No, why quench? The theory is that a tight quench squishes the air fuel mixture as the piston rises mixing it more thoroughly and lessening the possibility of a lean area in the mix detonating. Another theory is that the closeness of the parts help draw excessive heat out.

Another variant is a double quench setup, with what amounts to a trough shaped piston and combustion chamber, this forces the air/fuel mix into a more compact shape that optimizes combustion speed and rate, lessening the chance of detonation. A perfect sphere is the most compact shape for a given volume, so the closer you can get the air/fuel mix to a sphere the better.

Not sure if any of those theories really explains how it works, but it has been well documented that it can help. Mind you all of the above is a gross generalization.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: Supercuda] #924060
02/08/11 10:54 PM
02/08/11 10:54 PM
USA
J
JoesMopar Offline
master
JoesMopar  Offline
master
J

USA
What that guy said.

The mixture is more uniform and you get better combustion VS a lean/rich mixture within different portions of the entire fuel mixture. The better mixture also helps to evenly cool the piston and the chamber so you don't get "hot spots".

Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: JoesMopar] #924061
02/08/11 11:10 PM
02/08/11 11:10 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
I think the description that really gave it a visual for me was one about a coffee can with gas in it... You can light the fuel & it will burn... but if you light it & at the same instant hit the can with a baseball bat.... Thats what quench does.... You'll get more power with less chance of detonation...

Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #924062
02/08/11 11:55 PM
02/08/11 11:55 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOrk !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
My I add .... the quench also virtually elimimates 1/3 to 1/2 the combustion area of the chamber of the head(it pushes all of the A/F to the one side) so in doing so it insures a better air-fuel mix by that swirl effect.

Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: dOrk !] #924063
02/09/11 12:08 AM
02/09/11 12:08 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
How does your engine run now? If OK I'd consider leaving it alone.

The easiest and most effective way to get quench is to use a zero deck piston and a closed chamber head. The piston to had clearnace will be the gasket thickness - use a common .038-.040 gasket and you've got it.

You are starting with an open chamber head and piston below deck. Both the piston and head would have to change.

For pump gas compression on a stroker, a "D Dish" piston works best. The flat on the piston almost touches the flat on a closed chamber head. The dish in the pison keeps compression in the pump gas range. Ed closed chamber heads nominally 84cc's work well for this.

Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: ahy] #924064
02/09/11 01:34 AM
02/09/11 01:34 AM
murfreesboro, TN
Q
Qbird Offline
mopar
Qbird  Offline
mopar
Q

murfreesboro, TN
If the pistons ain't smackin the heads, you're giving power away.

Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: Qbird] #924065
02/09/11 01:42 AM
02/09/11 01:42 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Cute.
The engine actually ran great with the above combination until it started smoking and burning oil. I'm sure that the combo had nothing to do with it.
My motor has been an enigma. It has great oil pressure and consistant cranking compression numbers but smokes under throttle and on slowdown. The intake sits squarely to the heads and I have tried different valley pans, gaskets, PCV arrangements, valve stem seals, blah blah. I suppose that it is possible that I can have damaged rings but still show decent comp #s, but it seems to run counter to what I have experienced. A teardown may be the only way to know for sure.
It will be nice to have this problem fixed so I can feel comfortable driving the car again.

Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: Kern Dog] #924066
02/09/11 02:54 AM
02/09/11 02:54 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
I have a picture in this thread of the quench area. https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...vc=#Post5175716

There's a video on youtube of a hollowed out melon, filled with with gas and lit. Sitting there the flame is gently flickering around. Until the stupid kid hits it with a golf club

Have you run a leakdown test yet?

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: Kern Dog] #924067
02/09/11 10:03 AM
02/09/11 10:03 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
There is a very interesting graph in Taylor & Taylor's big two volume 'bible' of the engine, titled 'Fundamentals of the IC Engine'
that shows General Motors research that Quench works,
especially if half the piston top is a flat,
and if a 4 inch diameter piston comes within 0.026 inches of the flat on the cylinder head.

Quench does two things:

First, as the piston approaches top dead center,
'tsunamis' of air and fuel mixture get shot out toward the center of the cylinder. This speeds up the burn, like when you blow onto a flame.

Second, as the piston begins pulling away from top dead center,
the Quench areas form metal 'caves' where the burning air and fuel get cooled and snuffed out because the nearby metal walls provide 'air conditioning' due to the coolant behind them.

Why would you want to 'snuff out' (quench) the last part of the burning?

The reason is that pure gasoline vapor will not 'detonate'
but if you put the gasoline into a 'chemical factory' and use high temperatures and high pressures to chemically transform the original gasoline into something more like dynamite,
then you can get 'detonation'
which is a fancy word for
'burning faster than the speed of sound'.

This detonation can damage pistons, head gaskets, rings, the edges of valves, etc

In engine geek speek,
these chemicals that can detonate are called
'end gases'
and the key thing to remember is that they are no longer just gasoline, they have been changed by the heat and pressure.

Quench cools the 'end gases' just enough to prevent damaging detonation.

However,
Quench also increases unburned hydrocarbons,
or HC Pollution in engine geek speek,
so modern engines use as little as they can get away with.

Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: hooziewhatsit] #924068
02/09/11 10:30 AM
02/09/11 10:30 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Exactly , Checking compression doesn't tell you much because many people crank multiple times to get the highest reading.

The easiest way to get quench in the above engines short block is to switch to a .021 shim gasket and ditch the 88cc head for a closed chamber head. Yes it will raise your compression but the the net gain will work in your favor , but building it to run on mid grade is a far fetched goal without a piston change also ...

Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: Kern Dog] #924069
02/09/11 09:02 PM
02/09/11 09:02 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Quote:

Cute.
The engine actually ran great with the above combination until it started smoking and burning oil. I'm sure that the combo had nothing to do with it.
My motor has been an enigma. It has great oil pressure and consistant cranking compression numbers but smokes under throttle and on slowdown. The intake sits squarely to the heads and I have tried different valley pans, gaskets, PCV arrangements, valve stem seals, blah blah. I suppose that it is possible that I can have damaged rings but still show decent comp #s, but it seems to run counter to what I have experienced. A teardown may be the only way to know for sure.
It will be nice to have this problem fixed so I can feel comfortable driving the car again.

I had a problem similar to yours. My engine was dead rich at first fire but I kept it running for 20 min to get a good cam break in. After that I got the mixture dialed in and it ran fine but started using oil. On teardown, the rings were completly shot. The fuel wash had apparantly wiped out the lube oil film. The edges of the rings were sharp enough to shave with. Expensive lesson... even though the cam breakin was sucessful.

Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: hooziewhatsit] #924070
02/09/11 09:45 PM
02/09/11 09:45 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Quote:

I have asked around but I dont know where to get one. Maybe I'll check with NAPA or Car Quest stores. I have never used one of these.

***MISTAKE*** I wrote that I have 88cc Eddy heads, They are actually the 84cc heads, and they ARE closed chamber.

Ahy mentioned that he broke in an engine with an over rich carb and he wasted the rings. He said that the edges were sharp. This is interesting. My conventional wisdom leads me to think that damaged rings would be rounded off. This is what I need... good advice from guys who have been there. In the event that I DO pull the motor to dissect, Besides the rings, is it common to have bad valve guides that suck oil but still allow high compression #s? Last year when replacing the valve stem seals I noticed some valve stem wear, so I pulled the heads to take to the machine shop. 7 Intake valves had stem wear and one exhaust valve as well. I mentioned this to some car guys that wondered how the stainless valves got worn without damaging the softer bronze valve guides that the Edelbrocks have. That issue has had me wonder as well.

Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: Kern Dog] #924071
02/09/11 11:15 PM
02/09/11 11:15 PM
Maryland
GO_Fish Offline
master
GO_Fish  Offline
master

Maryland
On the compression test, the "high water" (compression) mark is set with both intake and exhaust valves closed. The valve guides are not inside the combustion chamber, so they are out of the picture during this test (unless they are so far shot that the valve is wobbling and wedged slightly and not seating completely, unlikely, IMO)

Scott B. "I'm a self-made man... I started with nothing, and I still have most of it!" 68 360 rusty B'cuda 'vert (GO Fish)13.59@ 98.72 mph 69 340 GTS stock 14.18@ 95.60 mph 01 5.9L Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 01 3.5L 300M 16.23@ 86.97 mph
Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: GO_Fish] #924072
02/10/11 12:47 AM
02/10/11 12:47 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
That makes sense.

Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: Kern Dog] #924073
02/10/11 06:48 PM
02/10/11 06:48 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

Besides the rings, is it common to have bad valve guides that suck oil but still allow high compression #s? Last year when replacing the valve stem seals I noticed some valve stem wear, so I pulled the heads to take to the machine shop. 7 Intake valves had stem wear and one exhaust valve as well.

You mentioned earlier that you had smoking on decel. Vacuum created during closed-throttle decel could pull oil in thru worn valve stems/guides.

I've often wondered about rich-mixture/new rings/cam break-in too. Here's an interesting article on pistonring break-in. Probably some folks will refute it, but I think most of us could agree there is some valid info in there, and good food for thought.
http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: Fury Fan] #924074
02/10/11 07:05 PM
02/10/11 07:05 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
With oil use issues you can have several things.. The piston to wall could have been too wide, the bore finish could have been too rough, the rings could have been damaged during assembly... Compression isn't a great test if it's oil use. Oil in the chambers helps compression be artificially high. The leakdown will tell more. Also, the 2nd ring is the oil scraper ring. Not the top (only) compression ring. I would be measuring the parts very carefully and look for anything that might indicate or enourage more piston to wall clearance.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: Supercuda] #924075
02/10/11 07:15 PM
02/10/11 07:15 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

YOu don't need a zero deck for a quench engine.

Imagine if you will, a closed chamber head and a flat top piston. If the clearance between them is small enough at TDC you will have quench. Very generally speaking .035-.055" is where you want to be. The tighter you go the greater the possibility you will smack parts together, the looser you go the less quench effect. It take good machining to set this up.

No, why quench? The theory is that a tight quench squishes the air fuel mixture as the piston rises mixing it more thoroughly and lessening the possibility of a lean area in the mix detonating. Another theory is that the closeness of the parts help draw excessive heat out.

Another variant is a double quench setup, with what amounts to a trough shaped piston and combustion chamber, this forces the air/fuel mix into a more compact shape that optimizes combustion speed and rate, lessening the chance of detonation. A perfect sphere is the most compact shape for a given volume, so the closer you can get the air/fuel mix to a sphere the better.

Not sure if any of those theories really explains how it works, but it has been well documented that it can help. Mind you all of the above is a gross generalization.

SuperCuda, super answer!!
Strong theories!

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: 360view] #924076
02/10/11 11:00 PM
02/10/11 11:00 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Quote:

First, as the piston approaches top dead center, tsunamis' of air and fuel mixture get shot out toward the center of the cylinder. This speeds up the burn, like when you blow onto a flame.

2 things, I would be very curious to know what the velocity is of the quenched mixture say in a typical wedge motor at say 7,000rpm, and does the quench effect/benefit apply across all rpm's, or is it rpm range specific?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: What exactly is QUENCH and why is it important? [Re: jcc] #924077
02/11/11 09:25 AM
02/11/11 09:25 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
There have been studies of the velocities of quench
... and also of 'Swirl' and 'Tumble'
air movements.

Over at the
Speedtalk.com
forum
Jesse Lackman, who is a member here
http://www.revsearch.com/

got into some interesting discussions
that began with the idea of grooves cut into
the flats of quench surfaces to create jet like mixture motion
(Jesse actually did a dyno test on a 360 V8)
and ended up with someone posting a paper
where the total mixture motion from
Quench, Swirl, and Tumble
was combined
and compared over RPM ranges.
{can't find the title or author of the paper or book on this computer}

At low RPM the paper predicted that increased mixture motion would improve Torque,
but that you could have
"Too Much of a Good Thing"
and that too much mixture motion
could hurt performance at the highest RPM.

This confirmed what Jesse found with the grooves:
they slightly helped ( 6 ft-lbs of Torque)
at lower RPM
but showed no benefit at higher RPM
... where increased mixture motion from higher Quench and Swirl were probably already in the adequate range of.
{My foggy memory seems to be that 15 meters per second forms an upper limit to adequate combustion}

Both Ford and Toyota have had recent production engines that had adjustable 'Tumble Valves' in the intake ports that could increase mixture motion at lower RPMS,
but be turned for less motion as the RPM and throttle opening increased.

There seems to be a trend that
'tumble' is preferred over swirl or quench,
perhaps because too high a swirl can throw fuel droplets against the cylinder walls,
and as stated in the post above,
quench flat 'caves' can result in some fuel touching a cool metal wall not being burned,
or being burned late.

It takes some horsepower to create
Quench, Swirl, or Tumble
and these can also reduce total airflow into the cylinder,
so at some point the benefits
'top out'
compared to the costs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2