02/05/11 01:33 AM
02/05/11 01:33 AM
Oklahoma
S
smokkem Offline OP
smokkem  Offline OP
S

Oklahoma
Which power steering pump should I use for my E body 425HP+nos small block? Using BPE brackets with Sanden A/C setup. Federal would be the more heavy duty version right? My 318 gran coupe has a saginaw and has worked fine for 150K. Did the AAR's use Federal's like the Hemi's? Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Need a lesson in Power Steering [Re: smokkem] #921401
02/05/11 05:27 AM
02/05/11 05:27 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Which power steering pump should I use for my E body 425HP+nos small block? Using BPE brackets with Sanden A/C setup. Federal would be the more heavy duty version right? My 318 gran coupe has a saginaw and has worked fine for 150K. Did the AAR's use Federal's like the Hemi's? Any help would be much appreciated.

Saginaws are a more HD version. I don't know way they used Federals in the high ratio gear cars. But I know people that stuggled for years with the Federal pump on thier AAR and T/A when they autocrossed. But when they swiched to the Saginaw they never had any issues.

I could feel the Federal pump in my Dart not being able to keep up with rapid inputs. I swapped it out for saginaw. Never had that issue again.

I used that old Federal pump to replace a seized unit in a C-body of mine. Never had a Saginaw go bad though.

Re: Need a lesson in Power Steering [Re: autoxcuda] #921402
02/05/11 12:51 PM
02/05/11 12:51 PM
Oklahoma
S
smokkem Offline OP
smokkem  Offline OP
S

Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

Saginaws are a more HD version. I don't know way they used Federals in the high ratio gear cars. But I know people that stuggled for years with the Federal pump on thier AAR and T/A when they autocrossed. But when they swiched to the Saginaw they never had any issues.

I could feel the Federal pump in my Dart not being able to keep up with rapid inputs. I swapped it out for saginaw. Never had that issue again.

I used that old Federal pump to replace a seized unit in a C-body of mine. Never had a Saginaw go bad though.

Thank you for the info. I was good with the saginaw but you clinched the deal.