Print Thread
has any one replaced front subframe with orignal #918480
02/01/11 01:33 AM
02/01/11 01:33 AM
littlestown pa
dustpan man Offline OP
dustpan man  Offline OP

littlestown pa
im about to replace my front subframe were kframe bolts are with orignal front subframes im asking to get ideas on how to do it

Re: has any one replaced front subframe with orignal [Re: dustpan man] #918481
02/01/11 09:59 AM
02/01/11 09:59 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

im about to replace my front subframe were kframe bolts are with orignal front subframes im asking to get ideas on how to do it

WHAT?

Your collection of letters above makes no sense.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: has any one replaced front subframe with orignal [Re: Supercuda] #918482
02/01/11 11:24 AM
02/01/11 11:24 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I have worked with fresh "Over the border" types, so maybe I can help.

You need to replace the front frame rails, due to damage or rust. You want to know how to do this. Correct?

This is a difficult job. Only a person with COMPETENT welding skills and an adequate working space will be able to do this job right. You will need a perfectly LEVEL floor and the engine, trans and front suspension will have to be removed including the K member. Sound tricky so far?
You will have to remove the seats, the carpet and floor insulation, the seatbelts too. Once you have all these parts spread out all over your neighbors driveway, you can start taking measurements, using a factory service manual as a reference. I think that they used decimal scale, so you will have to convert fractions to decimal "inches" . You will not need to learn French. Once you have all the measurements confirmed and documented in crayon on a napkin from the local taqueria, you can drill out the hundreds of spotwelds that hold the frame rails in place. Installation is the reverse of removal. Okay that was easier than I thought.

Re: has any one replaced front subframe with orignal [Re: Kern Dog] #918483
02/01/11 01:39 PM
02/01/11 01:39 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

I have worked with fresh "Over the border" types, so maybe I can help.

You need to replace the front frame rails, due to damage or rust. You want to know how to do this. Correct?

This is a difficult job. Only a person with COMPETENT welding skills and an adequate working space will be able to do this job right. You will need a perfectly LEVEL floor and the engine, trans and front suspension will have to be removed including the K member. Sound tricky so far?
You will have to remove the seats, the carpet and floor insulation, the seatbelts too. Once you have all these parts spread out all over your neighbors driveway, you can start taking measurements, using a factory service manual as a reference. I think that they used decimal scale, so you will have to convert fractions to decimal "inches" . You will not need to learn French. Once you have all the measurements confirmed and documented in crayon on a napkin from the local taqueria, you can drill out the hundreds of spotwelds that hold the frame rails in place. Installation is the reverse of removal. Okay that was easier than I thought.

The words pompous [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] come to mind

Re: has any one replaced front subframe with orignal [Re: JohnRR] #918484
02/01/11 04:26 PM
02/01/11 04:26 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
The phrase.."Idiot who has zero sense of humor " comes to mind....

Re: has any one replaced front subframe with orignal [Re: Kern Dog] #918485
02/01/11 08:47 PM
02/01/11 08:47 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Be glad this isn't Yellowbullet. This would be 4 pages of mayhem by now, and probably 3 new threads started about it.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."