North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
So you are upset, because your cage you bought from Jegs, would not pass the written spec. And that is somehow NHRAs fault and not Jegs................wow. Tubing is always measured in the bend, because, yes it stretches....but....if jegs had used something other than the cheapest crap they could get, it may have passed. The spec is .120 wall mild steel and can be no thinner, ANYWHERE. That is why most kits, made with cheaper ERW tubing are actually made from .134 wall. To make sure they pass the spec. The fact that it passed before, only means that inspector did not happen to measure it in a thin spot.

Monte

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Monte_Smith] #909659
01/26/11 12:44 PM
01/26/11 12:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

So you are upset, because your cage you bought from Jegs, would not pass the written spec. And that is somehow NHRAs fault and not Jegs................wow. Tubing is always measured in the bend, because, yes it stretches....but....if jegs had used something other than the cheapest crap they could get, it may have passed. The spec is .120 wall mild steel and can be no thinner, ANYWHERE. That is why most kits, made with cheaper ERW tubing are actually made from .134 wall. To make sure they pass the spec. The fact that it passed before, only means that inspector did not happen to measure it in a thin spot.

Monte

I thought the rules are suppose to be about our safety not about power trips.

Why is it the association that has cars that are designed to crash use .095 as their spec. I won't even get into that NASCAR banned chrome moly because it is too dangerous.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Hemi Joe 4911] #909660
01/26/11 02:02 PM
01/26/11 02:02 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Well said Bob - hope this retirement deal is working well for you, it sure is for me, you will love it! Back to the issue, a lot of these strokers on here just are trying to pull our chain about this seat belt issue, and this real racer stuff, but the seat belt is just the tip of the ice berg. I can remember a few years back when you had to replace my roll cage because the NHRA rep "Pinky" rejected my current cage because he said the tubing thickness wasn't thick enough, although he measured it on the bends so as it would stretch it naturally got thinner, when I tried to explain to him that it was a Jegster roll bar kit, he chewed my ass and said "so you think just because you bought it at Jegs it is legal? - my reply to him was, I'am sure Jegs would not sell a cage that was illegal on purpose. It was advertised in their catalogue being NHRA/AHRA certified. He then failed me and went on too fail the two cars after me and he had already failed the two in front of me. He was pissed because he had to get up early on a Saturday and travel from Columbus to Thompson to do certification. By the way mine was a re-cert which had already passed previously and had passed IHRA cert. The real bad thing was once you fail you cannot run under I believe it is 11.99, so in CHICAGO STYLE-NHRA rules my 9 second car had to have a new cage installed and thanks to Bob George Racing I was able to run the following week. When I first started building this car approximately 14 years ago, I read two of the most important things about building a race car wasn't about getting it launched, but about getting the car safely stopped and buying the best seat belts available which you can quickly release and get out of the car. This was written by someone who had gone off the track and ended upside down in a lake. So when these clowns want to take us off the subject by talking about being cheap and buying $70.00 seat belts, they are either missing the point or don't really care. The Simpsons that I prefer are around $240.. - It's not only the belts, its the cage stuff and re-certs- trans dip stick -tranny shields - new drive shaft loops- only to name a few! I feel better now HEMI JOE

FWIW Pinky AKA Don Cobbs RIP, was a very fair minded guy. I knew him well, he was only doing his job and your beef should have been with Jegs like Monte said.

He went out of his way for many guys, me included. I respected him for that and made racing at the div races enjoyable for me and many others.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Challenger 1] #909661
01/26/11 02:08 PM
01/26/11 02:08 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
FWIW Pinky AKA Don Cobbs RIP, was a very fair minded guy. I knew him well, he was only doing his job and your beef should have been with Jegs like Monte said.

He went out of his way for many guys, me included. I respected him for that and made racing at the div races enjoyable for me and many others.

He certed mine I would guess like 6 years ago... was
nice to me... I remember he did the cert at the place
he worked at and all the employees were watching as
I unloaded and loaded back up after he was done...
that was a day or two before the Mopar Nats

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Hemi Joe 4911] #909662
01/26/11 02:11 PM
01/26/11 02:11 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
BG MrBob,It would be nice if you are some of the others could write us up a petition that we could print off and take to our local and any other tracks we go to and have the racers sign. You are 100 percent right,as long as we line up and pay its never going to stop.

We can try and jest about it,but it is a Real $$$$$$ Problem.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: MRMOPAR622] #909663
01/26/11 02:28 PM
01/26/11 02:28 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

BG MrBob,It would be nice if you are some of the others could write us up a petition that we could print off and take to our local and any other tracks we go to and have the racers sign. You are 100 percent right,as long as we line up and pay its never going to stop.

I doubt that the NHRA will bend to a petition if safety is an issue. It's all about liability and they could be liable if you race with out of spec parts and you get hurt. Their underwriters have a lot to say about what is and isn't acceptable. IMO the NHRA is the best game in town. If you want to play you have to play by their rules. I don't like spending money unnecessarily but I do what they tell me to do as far as safety equipment because I like what they bring. There are other options like has been pointed out a dozen times in this thread.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: MR_P_BODY] #909664
01/26/11 02:41 PM
01/26/11 02:41 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

He certed mine I would guess like 6 years ago... was
nice to me... I remember he did the cert at the place
he worked at and all the employees were watching as
I unloaded and loaded back up after he was done...
that was a day or two before the Mopar Nats

I can't tell you how many times Pinky was looking out for me. I have many stories that I don't have time for now. He was one of the good guys, to me anyway. He was a great guy for the NHRA and the little guys.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: BobR] #909665
01/26/11 02:48 PM
01/26/11 02:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

I doubt that the NHRA will bend to a petition if safety is an issue. It's all about liability and they could be liable if you race with out of spec parts and you get hurt. Their underwriters have a lot to say about what is and isn't acceptable. IMO the NHRA is the best game in town. If you want to play you have to play by their rules. I don't like spending money unnecessarily but I do what they tell me to do as far as safety equipment because I like what they bring. There are other options like has been pointed out a dozen times in this thread.

Want us to shut up.

It is simple.

Tell us what the spec is. Run the test on the belts. Show us the results.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: ] #909666
01/26/11 02:54 PM
01/26/11 02:54 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Mr mad man BobR will you adopt me? If I had plenty of $$$ to race I would be a Happy Racer

I am not asking to be allowed to run anything that's not safe....just be resonable with the Rules!!

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: MRMOPAR622] #909667
01/26/11 03:24 PM
01/26/11 03:24 PM
Maysville, Kentucky
Apollo 13 Offline
super stock
Apollo 13  Offline
super stock

Maysville, Kentucky
Why not find a way to "make" an updated tag and sew it on? They make fake everything else in this world, why not? I do agree with being safe, and when it needs it replace it. Just not every two years. That's just a good ol boy, get'em to spend money every year, kick back program.

If you don't start it , you don't have to end it.
Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Challenger 1] #909668
01/26/11 03:40 PM
01/26/11 03:40 PM
NE Ohio
H
Hemi Joe 4911 Offline
Hemi Joe 4911  Offline
H

NE Ohio
Ok, so Pinky was great to some, I know of guys from Columbus that told me, he just handed them their cert sticker - that sure sounds fair to me. Remember safety is what we are talking about and law suits. To tell me that Jegs sells Junk is a poor answer and we are talking about protecting NHRA from law suits. RIP Pinky. I feel better now. Hemi Joe

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Apollo 13] #909669
01/26/11 03:41 PM
01/26/11 03:41 PM
Backwater, PA
B
bwdst6 Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
bwdst6  Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
B

Backwater, PA
Quote:

Why not find a way to "make" an updated tag and sew it on? They make fake everything else in this world, why not?

Well first you would take an existing tag and scan it. Bring it into Paint Brush or something similar to clean it up and also to change the dates for the future. Next you would need to find some similar paper cloth to print the new tags on. I would think most craft stores would carry something just about the same. And then print out the new tags.

In order to punch out the new dates in a similar fashion I would think 3/16” break line would be about the right size and also sharpen up the edges. Take care as to not punch the new dates out completely as I’ve notice that most have a hanging chad (insert Florida voting joke here!) thing happening. Sew it into the belt and done!

But that’s how I would envision someone making new tags for a belt!

This post is available in double vision where drunk.
Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Apollo 13] #909670
01/26/11 03:42 PM
01/26/11 03:42 PM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
Quote:

Why not find a way to "make" an updated tag and sew it on?

contact impact racing

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Hemi Joe 4911] #909671
01/26/11 03:45 PM
01/26/11 03:45 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Ok, so Pinky was great to some, I know of guys from Columbus that told me, he just handed them their cert sticker - that sure sounds fair to me. Remember safety is what we are talking about and law suits. To tell me that Jegs sells Junk is a poor answer and we are talking about protecting NHRA from law suits. RIP Pinky. I feel better now. Hemi Joe

He said, she said don't mean anything to me. I want to hear first hand experience, not what you were told or heard from a friend.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: jamesc] #909672
01/26/11 03:50 PM
01/26/11 03:50 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
I wonder how many guys who are complaining about the cost of maintaining safety equipment have ever had a wreck where it saved there lives. I have, a hi speed wreck and luckly was not seriously hurt other than my pocket book.

Did you know when you wreck, the NHRA tech guy cut's off all the tags off of every single peice of safety equipment so it all has to be sent back or replaced? Everything.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Challenger 1] #909673
01/26/11 03:59 PM
01/26/11 03:59 PM
yarnell,az
M
mopacltd Offline OP
pro stock
mopacltd  Offline OP
pro stock
M

yarnell,az
Did you know when you wreck, the NHRA tech guy cut's off all the tags off of every single peice of safety equipment so it all has to be sent back or replaced? Everything.
This is not a true statement for the wreck I had. I put my car on the roof (1/10/01) not one safty tag, including the chassis cert was removed. NOT ONE, even though the repair bill on the car was over $9,000.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Challenger 1] #909674
01/26/11 04:01 PM
01/26/11 04:01 PM
Backwater, PA
B
bwdst6 Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
bwdst6  Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
B

Backwater, PA
Quote:

I wonder how many guys who are complaining about the cost of maintaining safety equipment have ever had a wreck where it saved there lives. I have, a hi speed wreck and luckly was not seriously hurt other than my pocket book.

Yeah, I’ve been in a high speed wreck and my belts were technically expired (they somehow had updated tags for some reason ). Other than some marks on my chest from the belts digging in from the force of the impact I was fine. Car wasn’t of course.

Don’t remember the tech guy cutting off the tags. But that was almost a decade ago and tech guys are usually pretty lax anyway.

This post is available in double vision where drunk.
Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Challenger 1] #909675
01/26/11 04:15 PM
01/26/11 04:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

And not a bar in the car was legal. Went over three times.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: bwdst6] #909676
01/26/11 04:25 PM
01/26/11 04:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I’ve been in a high speed wreck and my belts were technically expired (they somehow had updated tags for some reason ). Other than some marks on my chest from the belts digging in from the force of the impact I was fine. Car wasn’t of course.

Don’t remember the tech guy cutting off the tags. But that was almost a decade ago and tech guys are usually pretty lax anyway.

And I thought I was the only one who made a trip to the stationary store for an ink pad and a date stamp.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Challenger 1] #909677
01/26/11 04:37 PM
01/26/11 04:37 PM
NE Ohio
H
Hemi Joe 4911 Offline
Hemi Joe 4911  Offline
H

NE Ohio
When a fellow racer whom I have raced with for years tells me that Pinky just handed him his cert sticker it is more than just he said she said, and he wasn't the only one. Don't tell me about Pinky, he grew up 20 miles from my home and a close friend of mine lived beside him and ran with him, so lets not go their. Actually this should not be about Pinky, but about NHRA- if you want to kiss their a// thats up to you! I consider them NHRA in the same class as the EPA, try to reason with those people!! Well its like trying to reason with NHRA. Feel better now HEMI JOE

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12