D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:

Couldn't resist responding to this thread. The most important thing about the car is it's VIN. What is the VIN? If the VIN is correct, then the buyer won't get ripped off. The only way he would get ripped off would be if it was a Satellite and not a Road Runner. Since it's not a Hemi or a six-pack car, not too many people are going to care if it's the original color or has the original engine, for that matter.

Most people who buy Road Runners buy them because they like the way they look and love to drive fast. I love my '72 Road Runner, even though it's not the original blue color. I get way more compliments with the plum crazy purple color. I'll take my '69 440 engine over the original 400 that came with the car any day. And my fender tag is long gone from a previous accident. Who cares? Unless you buy the car as an investment, the only thing that matters is whether or not YOU are happy with the car. WAY too many people out there who are only into Mopars for the money or bragging rights. The only way you will impress me is to show me what the car can do. That's all that should matter. It's a MACHINE meant to be driven hard and fast, not an investment.

You make the typical mistake in assuming that ALL people that care about numbers, documents, pedigree, etc. only care because of the money. That's OK, you aren't the first.

No need to defend your color changed, motor swapped RR; if you like it that's all that matters......although your current though process makes me wonder why you care if it's even a RR? A satelite with a 440 looks the same and goes just as fast.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Re: Is this fender tag Legit? [Re: DPelletier] #907108
01/18/11 06:54 PM
01/18/11 06:54 PM
Scituate, RI
S
SkynyrdTim Offline
SkynyrdTim  Offline
S

Scituate, RI
I like the look of a '72 Road Runner. 1972 Satellites have a different grill and headlight bezels, plus most have lots of extra chrome on them that the Road Runners didn't have. I also don't like the fake woodgrain upper door panels that Satellites have. And almost all I've seen have a bench seat and column shifter. I prefer the bucket seats and floor shifter. I guess I could have turned a Satellite into a Road Runner clone, but I got a good deal on my Road Runner and saved myself the hassle of doing that.

Re: Is this fender tag Legit? [Re: RSI700VIPER] #907109
01/18/11 07:48 PM
01/18/11 07:48 PM
Harlan, Iowa
69CoronetRT Offline
master
69CoronetRT  Offline
master

Harlan, Iowa
Quote:

Experts chime in?

Upon further review....

Bad remake. Ask for other documentation.

Seeking:

1969 St. Louis plant VINs, SPD, and VONs.
Over 2,000 thanks to you!
Re: Is this fender tag Legit? [Re: SkynyrdTim] #907110
01/19/11 12:44 AM
01/19/11 12:44 AM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Welcome to the site Tim.
The item that is causing debate here is not what was done to the car, it's the fender tag that was created to match what the owner did to the car.
We do not have all the details nor have most or all laid eyes on the car.
This discussion arises every now and then and boils down to three segments that participate here.
Owners that enjoy their cars and the cars history (does not matter that it was changed, just tell us the whole story and give us the original documentation and pieces/paperwork).
There are the racers, most would agree that the rare pieces are best left to the collector types and rather flog clones.
The business guys that buy and sell cars in various stages of repair or dis-repair. Some in this segment are un-scruplous and will attempt (repeatedly) to separate as much cash from unwary or unknowing buyers by modifying and mis-representing cars as being restored, when in actuality they have not restored them, they have created a car that essentially has no verifiable history, while stacking them with desirable color, options and fake documentation. Again, profiteering seems to be the motive.
Edit-> I want to stress the word some in the sentence that talks about businesses involved in restoration.
There is a large segment of restoration industry members on this site. Most are straight shooters interested in restoring cars or components as the factories built and manufactured them. I applaud these guys (and ladies?) that work endlessly to get it right.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3