12/28/10 07:33 PM
12/28/10 07:33 PM
Texas
70Runnerdude Offline OP
enthusiast
70Runnerdude  Offline OP
enthusiast

Texas

.Barry has every right to help or not help whoever he chooss. He is not a highered authority and since we weren't a witness to the phone call or what transpired, it's between him and the OP. 'nuff said.

Phone call was real quick and simple I told Him my name and he quickley cut me off and told me He didnt want to have anything to do with me as he had knew I had made a fake tag and quickly hung up on me. Nothing more nothing less.

Now back in April I posted some questions pertaning to my present car a 70 roadrunner as to the option codes for it so I could have a fender tag made for it as I had lost the tag. I did not know at the time it was an unaccepted pratice and prety much got hammered pretty hard for the post. I then realized that I cant make a tag for it and it wasnt an acceptable thing to do and I left it at that. Only other thing I mentioned in that post was I had Galen Govier make me a tag for my Challenger .

Now fast forward to this week I go to the hamtrack registry and look up my 70 roadrunners vin and the registry run by Barry says it has some dealership info on my roadrunner. I sent an e-mail to Barry asking Him about this and never recieve a response. So I call Him a few days later and got hung up on and accused of pretty much being a disohnest person without being abel even to say 2 words except for my name. In one of Barrys posts he states He made some fender tags in 2005 and made sure all His tags were legit before He made them. I had my previous cars 70 challenger fender tag made by Galen in 2002 or 2003 and He made sure all was legit also, with me sending him my original build sheet lots and lots of pics and the previous owners names and phone numbers before He would even think about it.
That being said how can Barry hold this aginst me if He did the same thing ? I guess my question is if He had made the tag for my challenger would He still have refused to talk to me? The only other thing I can think of is if He wants to hold aginist me is the thought I had of making a tag for my 70 roadrunner wich will not ever happen after a hard lesson learned and a good bashing here on moparts. So now the delership info Barry has on my car will never be known for one of the two reasons stated.

I belive Barry has my posts set to be ignore and he will probably never read any of this unless somone wants to do a quote on this topic. But just wanted to clear up a few things.
Thanks !
Dave Pealer

Last edited by 70Runnerdude; 12/28/10 07:49 PM.
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: DAYCLONA] #889245
12/28/10 07:39 PM
12/28/10 07:39 PM
kentucky
S
superbyrd Offline
enthusiast
superbyrd  Offline
enthusiast
S

kentucky
Quote:

]
yet give some guy grief over a "rebody" because he rolled a nice rustfree donor under the tags instead,....he basically acheived the same results, albeit with a better structure IMHO

um,because according to THE LAW (you know,those guys who HAVE THE AUTHORITY that wear the badges,backed by city/state government,etc) it is illegal to take a VIN tag off 1 vehicle and put it on another. sorry dayclona,not my opinion,IT'S THE LAW......

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: TimS] #889246
12/28/10 07:48 PM
12/28/10 07:48 PM
Harlan, Iowa
69CoronetRT Offline
master
69CoronetRT  Offline
master

Harlan, Iowa
Quote:

Hot Topic!! By the way, Galen has been working with a guy back East ( formally called AG Backeast) and charging a handsome price to make fender tags for years. Not sure if they are still in together or not. All you needed was a broadcast sheet. I checked on this about 20 years ago. AG would not do one unless Galen blessed it.

Not true. I can show you documentation from the tag on my car. It was made by AG without a BS or blessings from GG ~2000.

Seeking:

1969 St. Louis plant VINs, SPD, and VONs.
Over 2,000 thanks to you!
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: superbyrd] #889247
12/28/10 07:49 PM
12/28/10 07:49 PM
kentucky
S
superbyrd Offline
enthusiast
superbyrd  Offline
enthusiast
S

kentucky
it wasn't too long ago,that chip foose and whoever it was he was working with,were taking those new,complete daycorn(?) 69 camaro bodies,building them,and putting the VIN tags/cowl tags off of donor cars,and selling them. they got busted,fined,and the cars had to be VIN'ed and new titles issued under "new build construction" because,now get this,what they did was........ILLEGAL. hmm.heaven forbid,wonder who gives law enforcement thier authority....

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Mike H] #889248
12/28/10 07:51 PM
12/28/10 07:51 PM
Harlan, Iowa
69CoronetRT Offline
master
69CoronetRT  Offline
master

Harlan, Iowa
Quote:

A spirited post, to say the least. Here's my two cents.

Fender tags and build sheets are not legally required, legally binding, nor illegal to produce or buy/sell.... Nothing immoral about it.

So are you OK with the remade tag I posted earlier in the thread where major things were changed? Are you OK with selling and reselling the car down the road knowing about the major changes? How would future buyers know about these changes?

Seeking:

1969 St. Louis plant VINs, SPD, and VONs.
Over 2,000 thanks to you!
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 69CoronetRT] #889249
12/28/10 08:02 PM
12/28/10 08:02 PM
Walton, Indiana
TimS Offline
top fuel
TimS  Offline
top fuel

Walton, Indiana
20 Years ago was 1990 vintage, not 2000. Backeast has changed his ways. Another maker of tags out there who doesn't care about documentation and acuracy.

1968 Barracuda Fastback 318-2BBL 904 2.76 Frost Blue Survivor
1970 Roadrunner 440+6 BBL 727 AT 4.10 SG Dana Blue Fire Metallic
1971 Cuda 340-4 BBL 4spd 3.91 SG Curious Yellow
1972 Barracuda 318-2 BBL 904 AT 3.23 1 Legger Tor Red/White Vinyl Top
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi AT Patriot Blue
2011 Dodge Challenger RT 5.7 Hemi 6spd 392 SG Triple Black
2014 Dodge Charger RT Max AWD 5.7 Hemi AT 305 Billet Silver
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: NicksGarage] #889250
12/28/10 08:06 PM
12/28/10 08:06 PM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
I dont think you can read all these posts without wanting to throw in my worth. I kind of flip back and forth and even struggle to keep up with all the valid and invalid point.

I do feel strongly about some things though. I truely believe that Dave and Barry and others who view and side with "each" side are honorable men. While having two different views I believe both have valid points and each have the hobby in mind. I do believe that if a man has a legitimate build sheet he should have right to a fender tag. Should perhaps this fender tag have a COPY on it?? I dunno. I do believe at times some in here set themselves up as GOD or the unofficial police chief. I get irritated at times with this. But its better to error on the safe side than on the "do whatever you want side".

I have my car register on Barry site because I thought it neat for me and the hobby to register my car. I have nothing to hide. Its just a non numbers matching 383 RT/SE California car. Those cars never had much documentation. I would like to have a build sheet. I wouldnt have an issue with COPY being written on it. With that being said, I dont want to be called a thief or be called out in shame and disgrace in front of everyone.

So I dont know what side is right. I think both. In a way I like Barry working on his end docuementing things and keeping an eye on the hobby. I dont think the man makes much money on what he does. If he doesnt wish to help someone I guess that is his right. He gets a bit overboard and out of shape and occasionally God like in his unofficial authority and rules maker. But as there are too few of his kind overseeing the hobby. Therefore I sometimes overlook his overzealousness.

Dave, represents a different mindset in the hobby. I have no doubt of his skills and talents in working in a business capacity with various moter vehicle enforcement agencies (DMV etc). I belive him to be an honest man too. His views carry alot of weight with me, and I see where he is coming from. By and large I agree with him on most of his points. Anyone who has been here for sometime now like myself knows he has that extraordinary "sharp tongue". You would swear he was from New York. (a pun from a southern boy).

So both men I do admire and both have a solid following and our hobby is divided in two camps. I care about this subject even though after this car I probably wont have another Mopar except for an A body or two. Alot of politics go on here, and it reminds me of our own governing body. Two different camps, two descerning different points of view. Our hobby will grow stronger because of it.

I dont believe a fender tag should be available to just anyone without documentation, but I think a fender tag should be available with real documentation. Could we split the middle with the fender tag having COPY written on it, or is that a dumb idea.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 70Runnerdude] #889251
12/28/10 08:15 PM
12/28/10 08:15 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

...That being said how can Barry hold this aginst me if He did the same thing?...

I told you earlier Dave that this is how the self serving Mopar Police act towards anyone not involved or associated with their click! They can have fender tags reproduced or characteristics changed the "right" way but anyone else that does it is doing it the "wrong" way. It is hypocrisy at its finest. I am sure that SomeCarGuy was referencing THOSE type of people when he posted this comment:

Thanks for proving my point about those that think "because I can I should, screw everybody. I do what I want and they can deal with it since I'm so smart".

Once again, what Governing entity gave them special approval to change this information whenever THEY choose but then look down their noses and negatively judge others who do the same thing? Could it be jealous thinking that someone is trying to compete or infringe on their self proclaimed territory?

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ECS] #889252
12/28/10 08:34 PM
12/28/10 08:34 PM
Lebanon ,PA in the Susquehanna...
70Challengerse Offline
master
70Challengerse  Offline
master

Lebanon ,PA in the Susquehanna...
Wow after reading all that and all I have is one that reads" None on your damn business!!!" the org one is put away not that I care...

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: TimS] #889253
12/28/10 08:37 PM
12/28/10 08:37 PM
Orange County, CA
M
Mike H Offline
enthusiast
Mike H  Offline
enthusiast
M

Orange County, CA
Also at issue is how much you can change or replace on a car and it still be "the car". Follow this fictional scenario and chime in when the guy no longer has "the car".

You find a one-owner hemi cuda 4-speed behind a barn in the midwest. The original owner tells the story.

He bought the car new, but blew the tranny a month after he got it. The dealer replaced the tranny, so it isn't original. A few years later he blew the second tranny, and disgusted, he parked it behind the barn and figured he'd deal with it later.

That was thirty years ago. Somewhere along the line he sold the Dana 60 to the neighbor kid who busted the axle in his Dodge pickup trying to pull his buddy's Chevy out of the creek. Since then the car has been sitting on its frame rails in the mud and manure, so the car is a rusty mess.

Undaunted, you realize the value and purchase it and tow it home, title (with intact fender tag) in hand. You replace the frame rails and floor. You patch the quarters, and put fenders and doors from a donor car. You replace the rear deck and trunk gutter. The cowl is shot- a donor car supplies that also. Mice have eaten the build sheet and just about every non-metallic item Plymouth put on the car.

First dilemma: Do you save the number on the old cowl, patch it in, or no?

You are almost done with the resto. You send the dash pad into Dashes-R-Us. They remove and lose the VIN tag. Dang.

Finally you are done. You have title, fender tag, core support #, and hemi block all original.

You are driving home from a mopar show late one night and fall asleep. You have a head-on with a bus full of nuns. Their bus goes over the ravine and they are all killed. Your front end is totally destroyed, the block is cracked beyond repair.

You torch off all the ruined metal with the intent of rebuilding it. But you discover your wife has been sleeping with the UPS man, and you get a divorce. Her lawyer beats up your lawyer, so you lose. Discouraged, you put the remains (the back half) of the car on ebay and get a thousand bucks for it.

The winning ebay bidder puts the front end of his 70 cuda (he passed out while drunk on the railroad tracks, and an Amtrak Luxuryliner totally erased the back half of his 318 car)on the back end of your hemi car.

And the winner is.....The UPS man?

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: gomangoRTSE] #889254
12/28/10 08:38 PM
12/28/10 08:38 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

...So I dont know what side is right...
Dave, represents a different mindset in the hobby.....His views carry alot of weight with me, and I see where he is coming from. By and large I agree with him on most of his points.

Thanks for the support Kevin! I won't embarrass this member by calling him out but here are the types of messages I have been receiving all day long:

"Dave,
Once again, you are my hero dude! Thanks for finally saying publicly what I've felt for a long time."

I am certainly no "hero" and would rather have my "sharp tongue" classified as having the guts to stand up for what I believe, with regards to what these Dictators preach!

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: gomangoRTSE] #889255
12/28/10 09:27 PM
12/28/10 09:27 PM
Walton, Indiana
TimS Offline
top fuel
TimS  Offline
top fuel

Walton, Indiana
Ditto. I agree with your accessment that a fender tag should be available as long as documentation will back it up. Hence my situation with my 68 Super Bee. #'s car with original broadcast sheet and original window sticker. Bought from the original family and sat outside for 27 years. Fender tag is rusted in two with 2/3rds of the codes visible. After 3 long years finishing the car this Winter but wanted a good visible tag to replace the rusted one. If I ever sell the car, this fact will be past on with the original two pcs. and receipt from Marti's Auto Works for the new tag. By the way, Kevin Marti would not touch this w/o the correct original documentation I provided.

1968 Barracuda Fastback 318-2BBL 904 2.76 Frost Blue Survivor
1970 Roadrunner 440+6 BBL 727 AT 4.10 SG Dana Blue Fire Metallic
1971 Cuda 340-4 BBL 4spd 3.91 SG Curious Yellow
1972 Barracuda 318-2 BBL 904 AT 3.23 1 Legger Tor Red/White Vinyl Top
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi AT Patriot Blue
2011 Dodge Challenger RT 5.7 Hemi 6spd 392 SG Triple Black
2014 Dodge Charger RT Max AWD 5.7 Hemi AT 305 Billet Silver
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ECS] #889256
12/28/10 09:32 PM
12/28/10 09:32 PM
Alabama
BigMoneyLewis Offline
master
BigMoneyLewis  Offline
master

Alabama
Hey, I was just curious, if someone went over to
Will Darnell's and bought a set of exhaust manifolds for a 71 Charger R/T , then had second thoughts about weather they were indeed the correct manifolds, and wanted to ask Moparts members if casting # 4890bla bla bla was correct for a 71 440 HP, what kind of badge or special government issued athority would someone need , in order to legally tell the guy he bought the wrong manifolds ?
Without the proper authorization, would giving info make someone come across as looking "high and mighty" Just wondering.

Greg

gregward@mchsi.com phone 256-852-0955
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 71rm23] #889257
12/28/10 09:56 PM
12/28/10 09:56 PM
Minnesota, USA
Sublime70 Offline
Sublime70  Offline

Minnesota, USA
Quote:

This is getting GOOD

Yup it is getting good.

I am a NewB here (old man in the hobby though), and I am figuring out very quickly who, on this site I would trust to buy a car from, and who I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Sublime70] #889258
12/28/10 10:01 PM
12/28/10 10:01 PM
albany ny
05dakota Offline
I Live Here
05dakota  Offline
I Live Here

albany ny

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 05dakota] #889259
12/28/10 10:18 PM
12/28/10 10:18 PM
E.Amherst, NY
69RR Offline
top fuel
69RR  Offline
top fuel

E.Amherst, NY
Quote:

i want the 15 minutes of my life back i just wasted reading this crap.

you say this all the time. Then don't read it. And you're not that funny. [insert sarcasm] yeh its just opinions so who cares?

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 69RR] #889260
12/28/10 10:34 PM
12/28/10 10:34 PM
Florida
BDW Offline
master
BDW  Offline
master

Florida

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Mike H] #889261
12/28/10 11:19 PM
12/28/10 11:19 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

Also at issue is how much you can change or replace on a car and it still be "the car". Follow this fictional scenario and chime in when the guy no longer has "the car".

You find a one-owner hemi cuda 4-speed behind a barn in the midwest. The original owner tells the story.

He bought the car new, but blew the tranny a month after he got it. The dealer replaced the tranny, so it isn't original. A few years later he blew the second tranny, and disgusted, he parked it behind the barn and figured he'd deal with it later.

That was thirty years ago. Somewhere along the line he sold the Dana 60 to the neighbor kid who busted the axle in his Dodge pickup trying to pull his buddy's Chevy out of the creek. Since then the car has been sitting on its frame rails in the mud and manure, so the car is a rusty mess.

Undaunted, you realize the value and purchase it and tow it home, title (with intact fender tag) in hand. You replace the frame rails and floor. You patch the quarters, and put fenders and doors from a donor car. You replace the rear deck and trunk gutter. The cowl is shot- a donor car supplies that also. Mice have eaten the build sheet and just about every non-metallic item Plymouth put on the car.

First dilemma: Do you save the number on the old cowl, patch it in, or no?

You are almost done with the resto. You send the dash pad into Dashes-R-Us. They remove and lose the VIN tag. Dang.

Finally you are done. You have title, fender tag, core support #, and hemi block all original.

You are driving home from a mopar show late one night and fall asleep. You have a head-on with a bus full of nuns. Their bus goes over the ravine and they are all killed. Your front end is totally destroyed, the block is cracked beyond repair.

You torch off all the ruined metal with the intent of rebuilding it. But you discover your wife has been sleeping with the UPS man, and you get a divorce. Her lawyer beats up your lawyer, so you lose. Discouraged, you put the remains (the back half) of the car on ebay and get a thousand bucks for it.

The winning ebay bidder puts the front end of his 70 cuda (he passed out while drunk on the railroad tracks, and an Amtrak Luxuryliner totally erased the back half of his 318 car)on the back end of your hemi car.

And the winner is.....The UPS man?

Mike,you missed you're calling.

By the way,do you have a brown suit?

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: BDW] #889262
12/28/10 11:24 PM
12/28/10 11:24 PM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Georgetown Ontario Canada
Quote:

Another interesting thread here:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=30965.0

I don't want to take "THIS" thread in a different direction , BUT ....Reproduction VIN dash tags are available too...My brother-in-law has one on his 318 Barracuda.

I know where Barry stands on this topic and I'm not going there, but for him to publicly tell people that they are illegal is not 100% accurate....and to say they are not available is totally untrue...

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ECS] #889263
12/28/10 11:33 PM
12/28/10 11:33 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Online penguin-006
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Online Penguin-006
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I REALLY want a roll of those fake broadcast sheets, I am wallpapering my Mopar room and they would look real cool! How much?

Quote:

Quote:

Who are you anyway?...

I'm the guy who can't seem to get the question answered:

Who in this Hobby has REAL authority (not perceived) to tell ANYONE else how they should conduct their affairs or feel about their cars? You can try and deflect the question/subject matter all you want! You are probably one of the MANY disgruntled people (that I turned down) who called trying to get one of those FAKE build-sheets. The thing I will never know is if you were one of the Hypocrites who bashed me on the forum and then contacted me behind the scenes to "secretly" get one! That was quite the joke. I had AT LEAST 12 people who did everything but BEG to have one made. Keep in mind that they were having it done for all the "right" reasons. They were not like all the other "crooks" who wanted to have them made just to trick or scam the Hobby!

The truth is, I don't care what you or anyone else thinks about ANYTHING I do. If I decide to offer a complimentary build-sheet with every item we sell, then I will do just that. Unlike many of the sheep that are out there, I don't feel the need to cower down to anyone Else's personal views or opinions. Some of you should read the story THE EMPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES. It will be reassuring to know that this type of weak personality flaw is nothing new!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor%27s_New_Clothes

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17