Ball Ground GA
T
TrueTripleX Offline OP
super stock
TrueTripleX  Offline OP
super stock
T

Ball Ground GA
PLEASE read the question completely so I can get a honest comparison.

On a stock HP 440 (1969), I would like to know what I could expect to gain in HP, AT THE REAR WHEELS, by going from a stock HP exhaust manifold to header BUT, and here is the REAL question, I would like to know what the gain (if any) would be in STREET configuration. By this I mean with the the headers closed, with the exhaust gases going through the complete muffler system, what would be the difference in HP compared to the stock HP exhaust manifolds, again going through the complete muffler system? Assume that from the maiifold/headers back, you have the same size pipe and same mufflers. I know that there is significant gain when the headers are open, but what could I expect in rear wheel HP with headers closed over ? Since most HP figures are done with the exhaust OPEN, are there any guesses out there in a closed configuration of HP mainfolds vs headers?

Re: Rear wheel horse power gain [Re: TrueTripleX] #879159
12/14/10 10:50 AM
12/14/10 10:50 AM
Philadelphia
R
radar Offline
top fuel
radar  Offline
top fuel
R

Philadelphia
I'm just an enthusiast, not a pro engine builder or dyno operator, but Ill take a stab at it-

My guess is that you will get 20 hp at the most, and possibly move the peak up to slightly higher rpms. I'm thinking that without a supporting cast of performance parts the benifits will be minimal.

Unless you intend to run a longer duration cam, higher compression pistons/heads, good flowing intake, etc. I'm thnking the headers won't be worth the trouble of installation and maintainance. The motor needs to breathe deep in before you see a crazy bottleneck at the exhaust manifold.

On the positive side it will probably run a little cooler, rev a little more freely, and sound bitchin.

I've definitely played with pipes some, but not on a stock 440. Maybe somebody who did it can chime in?

Good luck man!

Re: Rear wheel horse power gain [Re: radar] #879160
12/14/10 01:00 PM
12/14/10 01:00 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada

I'd be surprised if it was even that much. I'm running HP manifolds BUT I'm also using 2 1/2" mandrel bent TTI exhaust with low restriction Dynamax Ultraflows......I'd be willing to bet that my setup is less restrictive than a set of cheapy headers mated to the stock 2 1/4" compression bent exhaust pipes with the stock mufflers.

Way too many people think only of the headers vs. manifolds without considering the rest of the system.

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Re: Rear wheel horse power gain [Re: DPelletier] #879161
12/14/10 01:28 PM
12/14/10 01:28 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
It's good that he's thinking about the rest of the system. Ditching the manifolds is step one. You can build off of that. Those manifolds are still a restriction.

I'd expect 12 to 15 hp at the most for a stock engine.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Rear wheel horse power gain [Re: DPelletier] #879162
12/14/10 01:39 PM
12/14/10 01:39 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I'd be surprised if it was even that much. I'm running HP manifolds BUT I'm also using 2 1/2" mandrel bent TTI exhaust with low restriction Dynamax Ultraflows......I'd be willing to bet that my setup is less restrictive than a set of cheapy headers mated to the stock 2 1/4" compression bent exhaust pipes with the stock mufflers.

Way too many people think only of the headers vs. manifolds without considering the rest of the system.

i have the same setup (hp's and tti setup), and i came from bone stock (original exhaust was on my car) and headers (headdman), and i can attest that the difference is night and day, but in the opposite of what the consensus is...
i'll explain: with totally stock (original as my car had it when i got it) and headers, there as a tad more power up top (4500-5000rpms +). this all on a stock 440 with a ch4b eddy intake and 750 afb carb; but when i went to the tti and hp manifolds (which is basically stock but with h-pipe and 2.5" after muffler instead of 2 1/4") i noticed a complete difference in power, but not what you'd expect....
slightly less top end (but very slight), and MUCH more on the bottom end with hp mani's...it was like a different motor when i started it up for the first time...it ran so much better, and i could up the timing to 34-36*degs with no ping, where i used to ping at 32* total...
you mentioned on a stock motor, which basically mine is minus the intake and carb, but the internals are bone stock....
i MUCH prefer the hp's on a STOCK motor over headers, drop in engine bay temps was unreal, my pinging issues and vapor lock issues were GONE...but that's just me...

on the street, i noticed much more bottom end power, and like i mentioned very very slight drop in top end (on the butt dyno); but that increase in bottom end power was a big surprise and is where the car is more often then at 5500rpms which on the street translated in overall more

Re: Rear wheel horse power gain [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #879163
12/16/10 12:42 AM
12/16/10 12:42 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Even with the best headers the exh will only flow as good as the worst restiction in the system. In other words if you have 2" headers and use a stock 2-1/4 exh pipes with a very restictive muffler I dont think you will gain much with headers over manifolds in a closed up exh. Now if you have a nice 3" exh with straight thru mufflers then you will see a nice gain going to headers. The exh system will only flow as good as the worst restiction in the system. Ron

Re: Rear wheel horse power gain [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #879164
12/16/10 01:14 AM
12/16/10 01:14 AM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
Quote:

Quote:

i have the same setup (hp's and tti setup), and i came from bone stock (original exhaust was on my car) and headers (headdman), and i can attest that the difference is night and day, but in the opposite of what the consensus is...
i'll explain: with totally stock (original as my car had it when i got it) and headers, there as a tad more power up top (4500-5000rpms +). this all on a stock 440 with a ch4b eddy intake and 750 afb carb; but when i went to the tti and hp manifolds (which is basically stock but with h-pipe and 2.5" after muffler instead of 2 1/4") i noticed a complete difference in power, but not what you'd expect....
slightly less top end (but very slight), and MUCH more on the bottom end with hp mani's...it was like a different motor when i started it up for the first time...it ran so much better, and i could up the timing to 34-36*degs with no ping, where i used to ping at 32* total...
you mentioned on a stock motor, which basically mine is minus the intake and carb, but the internals are bone stock....
i MUCH prefer the hp's on a STOCK motor over headers, drop in engine bay temps was unreal, my pinging issues and vapor lock issues were GONE...but that's just me...

on the street, i noticed much more bottom end power, and like i mentioned very very slight drop in top end (on the butt dyno); but that increase in bottom end power was a big surprise and is where the car is more often then at 5500rpms which on the street translated in overall more

I think if the engine runs better with the manifolds, it was either running lean, or near detonation? The extra restriction from the manifolds could be causing exhaust to contaminate the intake charge, like EGR, without the valve. That would help lower combustion temps and help prevent detonation.

I think on a stock engine headers may only be worth 10 rear wheel HP? (through the same exhaust system.) The stock HP cam opens the exhaust fairly early, and it does not have much overlap.

I think it would make a bigger difference if the engine had a single pattern cam with a narrow LSA (more overlap.)

Here is an interesting cam comparison, the stock HP 268/284 115 LSA installed at 113 cl (stock valve timming events), and the Mopar 284 Purple shaft cam with 108 LSA, and (for comparison) installed at 105cl.

Both cams close the intake at 67 degrees ABDC (same cranking pressures), but the stock cam opens the exhaust valve 6 degrees sooner than the purple shaft cam (79 BBDC vs, 73 BBDC), and the purple shaft cam with more total intake duration and a narrower LSA has 22 degrees more overlap than the stock cam (68 vs. 46)

Re: Rear wheel horse power gain [Re: TrueTripleX] #879165
12/16/10 01:54 AM
12/16/10 01:54 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
You won't see a lot of power gain with headers on an otherwise stock engine. Now get some better head flow and more cam and you'd be in business. If basically stock is all you want for your car, I don't think you can justify the effort of changing to headers. I have headers in mine and wouldn't have it any other way but I run aftermarket heads, cam, intake, etc.

Re: Rear wheel horse power gain [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #879166
12/16/10 12:47 PM
12/16/10 12:47 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I think if the engine runs better with the manifolds, it was either running lean, or near detonation? The extra restriction from the manifolds could be causing exhaust to contaminate the intake charge, like EGR, without the valve. That would help lower combustion temps and help prevent detonation.

My experience with 2 chargers with 440's and headers, is that it's not really worth the aggravation, leaks in the studs, burning the starter out, increased under hood temps, all for 10hp??

440's are prone to detonation with such a big chamber, add to that no back pressure, you loose quench, and result with ping....
the stock hp mani's actually flow quite well, and if the engine is stock, just throwing a set of headers on it will actually decrease performance from 1000-4500rpms or so from my experience...sure you gain 10hp at 5000rpms+ but on the street, i'd much rather have that bottom end power.
all i can say is that going from headers to hp manifolds made a BIG difference to my car. it was jetted properly with the headers, i had to lean it out going to the hp's, using a 1407 eddy carb, leaner main jets, metering rods, and springs...but one big plus was that off-idle bog which i could not for the life of me get rid of completely vanished going to hp manifolds....
the ping i was getting with <32* total i'm sure was from the headers, not enough back-pressure, increased under-hood temps, ect....

Re: Rear wheel horse power gain [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #879167
12/16/10 12:54 PM
12/16/10 12:54 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Online boogie
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Online Boogie
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
I know that this is about rear wheel horse power gain but don't forget that the headers will probably eliminate 30 pounds off the front end too.

Re: Rear wheel horse power gain [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #879168
12/16/10 02:51 PM
12/16/10 02:51 PM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
10 RWHP is just a guess, might be 20 at the crank?, and your right that it would be in the higher RPM range. Steve Dulcich in Mopar Muscle 2001 did a comparison, but it was on a 500 HP 440, and the full length headers were worth about 80 HP at the crank, at 5,200+ RPM, but at 3,000 RPM the difference was only 14 HP, and I think that was without running an exhaust system.
I have never seen a dyno comparison of a stock engine with manifolds vs headers. All the comparisons were done on modified engines?

For performance, headers are great. It depend on if you really need max power and want to mess with the issues that come along with using headers. I will say that I hate cheap headers. Fighting exhaust leaks, clearance issues, and burnt spark plug wires. On the other hand the expensive headers are pretty nice. They have thick flanges to prevent leaks, and fit better too.

Re: Rear wheel horse power gain [Re: 451Mopar] #879169
12/16/10 06:19 PM
12/16/10 06:19 PM
Ball Ground GA
T
TrueTripleX Offline OP
super stock
TrueTripleX  Offline OP
super stock
T

Ball Ground GA
Thanks everyone for the input. My thoughts are in line with 451Mopar. So you know, we are having a debate on this issue and looking for some input. I feel that if you take a motor (ANY motor wither it be a stock or a modified 440/383/400/???) with HP exhaust and measure the HP AT THE REAR wheels WHILE running through a closed exhaust, and then simply replace only the HP exhaust manifolds with headers, and again measure the HP AT THE REAR wheels again WHILE running through the EXACT SAME closed exhaust, would see much rear wheel HP increase. We all know that OPEN headers dramatically improve flow and HP and there is no question there. But I have always wondered about the guy who last week raced me (on the street) and went home and removed his HP exhaust and ONLY put headers on his car. And then, while driving around on the street, he now thinks he has 40 or so more ponies out there, and because of that will now be able to beat me. Even though his headers will not be open, and he will still be pushing the same pressure through the mufflers as before, will there be much REAR WHEEL HP increase? Thoughts???

Re: Rear wheel horse power gain [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #879170
12/16/10 07:26 PM
12/16/10 07:26 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
69yeehaa, IMO your tuning insights do not compute. A lot of people complain about headers, but I have had a good experience with my el-cheapo summit headers. They fit my car very well, shed a bunch of weight over the lo-po log manifolds that were on there and I never burned out a starter.

Exhaust backpressure has nothing to do with quench. The only possible difference headers could make is the increased exhaust flow can lean you out if you're not jet for it. You say you were pinging at 32* timing and bogging with the headers and that magically went away when you put the hp manifolds on. The only real conclusion one could draw from that is your carb and distributor were not dialed in correctly for your combo. Like already said by another member, the increased exhaust backpressure of the hp manifolds gives your 440 a egr-like effect(reversion) helping to cool and dilute the intake charge to cover your state of tune. There's no such thing as not having enough backpressure. HP manifolds flow decent for what they are and they keep the exhaust gas velocity up at lower rpms, this is the reason they produce good bottom end power, not backpressure. Regular log manifolds act the same way at very low rpms, just they run out of flow potential so low in the rpm range they become a hinderance much earlier than the hp manifolds.

HP manifolds are a decent choice if you have a combo suited to them. For myself, I wouldn't go out and buy a set but if I bought a car already with them I think I would cam to take advantage of them.

Re: Rear wheel horse power gain [Re: TrueTripleX] #879171
12/16/10 09:10 PM
12/16/10 09:10 PM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
Ok, if you want to know the real answer to the question, send me $500 and I'll chassis dyno the R/T with the exhaust manifolds and then with headers

Re: Rear wheel horse power gain [Re: 451Mopar] #879172
12/16/10 10:55 PM
12/16/10 10:55 PM
Ball Ground GA
T
TrueTripleX Offline OP
super stock
TrueTripleX  Offline OP
super stock
T

Ball Ground GA
Quote:

Ok, if you want to know the real answer to the question, send me $500 and I'll chassis dyno the R/T with the exhaust manifolds and then with headers

LOL - better yet, bring the R/T down to sunny Los Angeles and we will check it out together. Seriously, do you have any guess as to the difference between the two?

Re: Rear wheel horse power gain [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #879173
12/17/10 12:08 AM
12/17/10 12:08 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

69yeehaa, IMO your tuning insights do not compute. A lot of people complain about headers, but I have had a good experience with my el-cheapo summit headers. They fit my car very well, shed a bunch of weight over the lo-po log manifolds that were on there and I never burned out a starter.

Exhaust back pressure has nothing to do with quench. The only possible difference headers could make is the increased exhaust flow can lean you out if you're not jet for it. You say you were pinging at 32* timing and bogging with the headers and that magically went away when you put the hp manifolds on. The only real conclusion one could draw from that is your carb and distributor were not dialed in correctly for your combo. Like already said by another member, the increased exhaust backpressure of the hp manifolds gives your 440 a egr-like effect(reversion) helping to cool and dilute the intake charge to cover your state of tune. There's no such thing as not having enough backpressure. HP manifolds flow decent for what they are and they keep the exhaust gas velocity up at lower rpms, this is the reason they produce good bottom end power, not backpressure. Regular log manifolds act the same way at very low rpms, just they run out of flow potential so low in the rpm range they become a hinderance much earlier than the hp manifolds.

HP manifolds are a decent choice if you have a combo suited to them. For myself, I wouldn't go out and buy a set but if I bought a car already with them I think I would cam to take advantage of them.

well, i can tell you that weather or not you believe that the difference from headers was night and day with my car, i can tell you it was, and not only on one car but 2.....
i've spent hours and hours jetting, re-curving my distributor (professionally) and still resulted in ping with 32 total, anymore and it would ping. after putting on the hp mani's, i had to jet leaner, and now i'm running 35ish total timing with no ping at all....if you search from my posts years ago, you'll find the trouble i went thru in tuning, and i can honestly say going from crap headers that took me hours to get out of the car, burning my wires, vapor lock, and underhood temps that were crazy, i sure dont' miss those leaky headers. put on the hp mani's and wow...temps dropped, they've never leaked, and the motor just plain old runs like a FI car now.
i think headers have a place, but with my stock motor, they really did not suit my application. if i were to build a hipo motor, sure i'd use them, but stock; i'll take the hp's. and regardless, the low-end power increase was very noticeable....
i'm not sure i understand your theories on back pressure either, so it goes both ways. it's a well known fact that a car with a stock engine, and over-sized exhaust actually will decrease performance; which is exactly what the headers did in my case....
i drive the crap out of my car and sit in traffic on a hot day, and take 100mi cruises weekly, and headers just don't cut it for me....