12/13/10 04:07 AM
12/13/10 04:07 AM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline OP
master
Jeepmon  Offline OP
master

Sunnyvale, CA
This last weekend the fiberglass hood pulled itself thru the dzus fasteners and went straight up in the air about 30'... It land on the ground softly and still in one piece.. except now I have 11 holes where the dzus's were..

I've never worked with fiberglass before.. is this something I can repair.. or have repaired? Or should I just look into picking up a new hood??

Re: Fiberglass repair [Re: Jeepmon] #878798
12/13/10 05:47 AM
12/13/10 05:47 AM
Hinterland SE Qld Aust
S
SG duster Offline
mopar
SG duster  Offline
mopar
S

Hinterland SE Qld Aust
as long as the damage is not too bad there is no reason it couldnt be repaired, fibglass is a ver forgiving product.

Re: Fiberglass repair [Re: SG duster] #878799
12/13/10 09:59 AM
12/13/10 09:59 AM
MI, Lapeer
M
maximus Offline
super stock
maximus  Offline
super stock
M

MI, Lapeer
Fibergless is easy to work with, this is what you need to do. Using masking tape or any other kind will work, tape off the holes on the top side of the hood. A few layers will make it stronger so when you fill in the holes it will be flush with the hood. Now get a fiberglass repair kit, take the glass mesh and using sissors cut it into small fibers and put into a paper cup. Add resin and hardener into the cut with the fibers and mix well. Fill the holes with the mixture, pushing it around to eliminate bubbles and spread out the fibers. A little extra doesn't hurt, it can be ground after drying. After drying for a couple days remove tape and smoothen out top and bottom with file, grinder or sandpaper until smooth. Redrill holes as necessary and install fasteners. It will look like new when your done. Imperfections can be filled with resin and hardener mix.

Last edited by maximus; 12/13/10 10:00 AM.
Re: Fiberglass repair [Re: maximus] #878800
12/13/10 01:09 PM
12/13/10 01:09 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline OP
master
Jeepmon  Offline OP
master

Sunnyvale, CA
Quote:

Fibergless is easy to work with, this is what you need to do. Using masking tape or any other kind will work, tape off the holes on the top side of the hood. A few layers will make it stronger so when you fill in the holes it will be flush with the hood. Now get a fiberglass repair kit, take the glass mesh and using sissors cut it into small fibers and put into a paper cup. Add resin and hardener into the cut with the fibers and mix well. Fill the holes with the mixture, pushing it around to eliminate bubbles and spread out the fibers. A little extra doesn't hurt, it can be ground after drying. After drying for a couple days remove tape and smoothen out top and bottom with file, grinder or sandpaper until smooth. Redrill holes as necessary and install fasteners. It will look like new when your done. Imperfections can be filled with resin and hardener mix.

Sounds easy.. lol

Thank you!!

Re: Fiberglass repair [Re: Jeepmon] #878801
12/13/10 01:47 PM
12/13/10 01:47 PM
Pound, Va
C
Chris Vanover Offline
Chris Vanover  Offline
C

Pound, Va
May want to look into what caused this to happen? To try to prevent this from happening again.. with 11 dzus in it that should have been plenty i'd think? but may wanna add a few more just for security.