12/03/10 04:48 PM
12/03/10 04:48 PM
Caledon, Ontario
smac77 Offline OP
mopar
smac77  Offline OP
mopar

Caledon, Ontario
Hey Guys, Before I go ahead and order yardages of cotton felt layers, muslin, and burlap to re-pad a set of rear seats... I was wondering if anyone is making the rear seat pads yet for e-bodies...

If not, can anyone offer some tips tricks for re padding the rear seats... we've always used a trim shop, but have been getting better results doing things ourselves lately !

Thanks.

Restoration, Sales and Canadian Distributor For:
AMD Sheetmetal
Wizzard Direct Fit, Bolt In Aluminum Radiators
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Control Freak Suspensions
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com
Re: Is anyone reproducing the rear seat padding for e-body [Re: smac77] #870399
12/03/10 06:07 PM
12/03/10 06:07 PM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
To the best of my knowledge, no one is reproducing preformed rear seat back or rear seat bottom padding. There is no need to send anything to a upholstery shop for rear seats. I lucked out and traced the dimensions for the bottom seat foam off the tattered original.

As for the rear seat back on an ebody, it is even easier to do than the seat bottom. The original rear seat back cotton batting was somewhat intact and it was used as a template for the new batting. I used about 3 layers of new cotton batting with a quick spray of 3m adhesive to secure the layers. Then go to a craft store and pick up a few yards of white cheese cloth and wrap it around the batting like the factory did to keep it from falling apart. You might need a little spray adhesive for the overlap. Ebay has had some good deals on burlap if you want to get really detailed, LOL....

Finally if you dont have any original foam or batting to trace off of, i can measure off the original material I have and send it to you. Best of luck. Also, i have a lot of cotton batting left over, more than enough to do a rear seat back. Let me know if you need it.

Re: Is anyone reproducing the rear seat padding for e-body [Re: 70plymA34] #870400
12/06/10 02:53 PM
12/06/10 02:53 PM
Caledon, Ontario
smac77 Offline OP
mopar
smac77  Offline OP
mopar

Caledon, Ontario
Quote:

To the best of my knowledge, no one is reproducing preformed rear seat back or rear seat bottom padding. There is no need to send anything to a upholstery shop for rear seats. I lucked out and traced the dimensions for the bottom seat foam off the tattered original.

As for the rear seat back on an ebody, it is even easier to do than the seat bottom. The original rear seat back cotton batting was somewhat intact and it was used as a template for the new batting. I used about 3 layers of new cotton batting with a quick spray of 3m adhesive to secure the layers. Then go to a craft store and pick up a few yards of white cheese cloth and wrap it around the batting like the factory did to keep it from falling apart. You might need a little spray adhesive for the overlap. Ebay has had some good deals on burlap if you want to get really detailed, LOL....

Finally if you dont have any original foam or batting to trace off of, i can measure off the original material I have and send it to you. Best of luck. Also, i have a lot of cotton batting left over, more than enough to do a rear seat back. Let me know if you need it.

Thanks for the reply...and the tips !

Restoration, Sales and Canadian Distributor For:
AMD Sheetmetal
Wizzard Direct Fit, Bolt In Aluminum Radiators
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Control Freak Suspensions
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com
Re: Is anyone reproducing the rear seat padding for e-body [Re: smac77] #870401
12/06/10 03:38 PM
12/06/10 03:38 PM
NORTHERN VA
T
THESHAKERPROJECT Offline
super stock
THESHAKERPROJECT  Offline
super stock
T

NORTHERN VA
Actually they never came with a pre-formed foam piece for the rear. The rear bottom was just a unformed piece of foam and the seat back was a fiber filled bag. You can use a new piece of foam for the bottom and the back (instead of the bag)from any fabric shop. Remember to replace the burlap between the springs and the foam and re-use all the listing wires from your old cover.