illinois
R
rbkt65 Offline OP
super stock
rbkt65  Offline OP
super stock
R

illinois
whats going on-nhra web site says taking year off and may come back in 2012-fed up w/circus or ????

Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: rbkt65] #855577
11/16/10 08:54 PM
11/16/10 08:54 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
Probably just getting tired. The guy has been at it for many years, and been at the top most of them. Can't say I blame him.

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: JERICOGTX] #855578
11/16/10 08:59 PM
11/16/10 08:59 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

Probably just getting tired. The guy has been at it for many years, and been at the top most of them. Can't say I blame him.

He's been the MAN for over 25 years. He's got to be plum wore out.

Medlen was released from DSR too. Wonder where he'll end up?

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: slantzilla] #855579
11/16/10 09:01 PM
11/16/10 09:01 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

yeah he's been around a looooooooooong time.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: Mr.Yuck] #855580
11/16/10 09:05 PM
11/16/10 09:05 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Those were the dayz ....at Martin and Gary .. ole AC could read-the-car with just the grey-matter between his ears.

SUPER SHARP guy ...I wonder if JFR will suffer ?

Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: dOc !] #855581
11/16/10 09:08 PM
11/16/10 09:08 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
Quote:

I wonder if JFR will suffer ?

Nope. Coil isn't the only one preparing the cars at JFR anymore. You can be sure this isn't a shock to JFR, and they are/ will be prepared to run without him.

Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: JERICOGTX] #855582
11/16/10 09:13 PM
11/16/10 09:13 PM
alaska,usa
9secondsatellite Offline
mopar
9secondsatellite  Offline
mopar

alaska,usa
isn't this why Mike Neff was brought on?

Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: JERICOGTX] #855583
11/16/10 09:18 PM
11/16/10 09:18 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
So what was AC's job at this point ? .. overall supervisor ?

Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: slantzilla] #855584
11/16/10 09:37 PM
11/16/10 09:37 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Chris2581 Offline
master
Chris2581  Offline
master

Jacksonville, FL
Quote:

Quote:

Medlen was NOT released from DSR,he is just not the CC on the NAPA car anymore.

Nautilus Racing-
We use Superformance gaskets and Turbo Action converters/products.
Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: slantzilla] #855585
11/16/10 10:04 PM
11/16/10 10:04 PM
Indy
J
joshking440 Offline
Lunch is on me!
joshking440  Offline
Lunch is on me!
J

Indy
Quote:

Medlen was released from DSR too.

Not true at all. He was simply released of the tuning duties on Capps car...still a DSR employee

Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: Mr.Yuck] #855586
11/16/10 10:18 PM
11/16/10 10:18 PM
Southern by Choice
S
Shoozy Offline
I have a foot fetish
Shoozy  Offline
I have a foot fetish
S

Southern by Choice
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

yeah he's been around a looooooooooong time.

I think he's around 65 now. I believe he's earned the right to slow down / retire.

Old, tired, and sometimes broke down. Me, not my car...
Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: JERICOGTX] #855587
11/17/10 12:38 AM
11/17/10 12:38 AM
New Lenox IL
cudadon Offline
top fuel
cudadon  Offline
top fuel

New Lenox IL
Quote:

His THE MAN!!

He is the only one who has more wins/championships than John Force.
I asked him for an autograph and he said the driver is over there. I said YOU MAKE HIS POWER!
He is cool. Don

Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: cudadon] #855588
11/17/10 01:21 AM
11/17/10 01:21 AM
off the grid
340B5 Offline
pro stock
340B5  Offline
pro stock

off the grid
Quote:

Quote:

His THE MAN!!

He is the only one who has more wins/championships than John Force.
I asked him for an autograph and he said the driver is over there. I said YOU MAKE HIS POWER!
He is cool. Don

He is the man. It was his genius that got JF his wins especially in the '90's I used to like to watch them take conservative wins and then lay a number down in the finals. I have taken pictures of nothing more than Austin Coil walking the track.

Yeah, it's got a smallblock.
Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: 340B5] #855589
11/17/10 01:47 AM
11/17/10 01:47 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

It was his genius that got JF his wins especially in the '90's

NOT sure where I saw this ... one of those NHRA Awards shows? ... where JF really humbled himself in front of AC.

It truly MOVED the both of them.

Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: dOc !] #855590
11/17/10 10:18 AM
11/17/10 10:18 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
I talked to Coil a few times.He pretty much takes no or little credit for the car running good.He can open up at times and really chat.I agree he is probally worn out.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: therocks] #855591
11/17/10 11:32 AM
11/17/10 11:32 AM
michigan
tonycpe Offline
tonycpe  Offline

michigan
Coil has said he wants to tour europe on a motorcycle.

Old Fogey Racing Ltd.
Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: tonycpe] #855592
11/23/10 10:32 AM
11/23/10 10:32 AM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY
Quote:

Hall of Fame crew chief Austin Coil says his resignation from John Force Racing was largely a financial decision, augmented by “some animosities” lingering from Force’s winless 2009 NHRA Funny Car season.

“I had not been happy with the financial situation since the reorganization because of the economy,” Coil said during a phone interview on Wednesday, three days after Force won his record-setting 15th National Hot Rod Association world championship at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona, Calif.

Coil said team-owner Force instituted across-the-board pay cuts following the 2009 season, one that saw son-in-law Robert Hight and crew chief Jimmy Prock win the organization’s 16th NHRA Funny Car championship in 20 years. But Force went winless in ‘09 during a Full Throttle Drag Racing Series season for the first time since 1986 – first year of the Force-Coil collaboration.

“There were a lot of hard feelings over 2009 because our performance was suffering,” said Coil, 65, who has tuned Force to all of his championships and 132 national event victories. “The end result created some animosities that won’t go away. I’m too old to be sat down and told ‘how it is’ every other day. Overall, there’s no real terrible issues going on. It was just time to go. Kind of like when you’ve been married for 26 years and heard all the [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean].”

Prior to the start of the 2010 season, Force opted to fold Mike Neff’s Ford Mustang Funny Car team because of lack of corporate sponsorship. Neff immediately joined Coil and Bernie Fedderly as the tuning braintrust on Force’s Castrol GTX High-Mileage Ford, a move Coil said he still endorses. But Coil said the accompanying pay cuts “took a way bigger percentage from the top employees,” including himself.

“I don’t care if there were three cars or four,” Coil said. “My concern was my share of the pie. We all took (a pay cut) as most everyone in the industry. In a way that’s not to be unexpected. But I wasn’t happy how mine was. I still think I was paid fair for the job I was doing, but it didn’t turn out…it was a considerable surprise from what my previous contract was.

“Kind of a sign of the times, but it still doesn’t make us happy. It’s a situation where we’re told

Austin Coil, longtime tuner for John Force, says he left his former boss with some hard feelings. (File photo courtesy of the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series)
we’ve got to tighten our belt buckles. Again, I’m not saying I was unfairly treated – the economy put everyone in a pinch. But if I still had a mortgage on the house and no investments, I would have had to deal with it. As a result I’ve been less than overly happy.”

As the 2010 season wound down, Coil said he began looking at various career options and met with his financial adviser.

“I’m convinced I’m (financially) secure, so I have no fear of that,” said Coil, who added he could return to drag racing as early as the 2012 season. “I’ve already received several job offers. I know I can go back to work, but for now I’m going to fill up my bucket list. The only racing I might get involved in is if I find a situation with a team with proper funding and that will give my wife (Lisa) a chance to drive a nostalgia Funny Car…and I’d come along. I’ve had a few nibbles but not made any decision.”

Force was blindsided by Coil’s decision on Tuesday. Coil sent out the following email to selected friends and NHRA officials: “Dear Friends, I have resigned from John Force Racing 11-16-10. I plan to spend some time with Lisa, my wife, as I have had very little for the last 26 years. I then plan to hang out my shingle to go racing again as I am nowhere’s near ready to retire. Regards, Austin Coil.”

Elon Werner, a public relations representative for JFR, said Force learned of the resignation approximately 15 minutes before he was scheduled to participate in the NHRA’s season-ending champion’s teleconference. Force did take his turn as the last of four professional champions to participate. At the end of his segment, Force remarked: “I know the rumor mills are going crazy, and I have to address it. But it’s part of what John Force does. My heart’s pounding today over some things that have hurt me real bad, and I don’t understand. I’ve got to go find out.”

Force undoubtedly will address the issue when he travels to Homestead-Miami Speedway Friday for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season-ending Ford 400 weekend, if not before.

“John Force Racing doesn’t have a comment at this time, but we’ve accepted it,” Werner said Wednesday. “We’re not going to stand in the way of a guy that wants to smell the roses. It’s hard to begrudge a guy who wants to take a year off.”

Coil said he waited until the morning after Monday night’s NHRA Full Throttle awards ceremony to break the news. “John runs his company a lot like an emperor runs a country,” said Coil, who attended the ceremony with his JFR teammates in Century City, Calif. “And if you tell John anything in advance, there is no delay in dealing with it. It’s immediate. I decided not to disturb anybody’s fun at the banquet. I don’t even know if I had made up my mind at that point.”

Force won his 15th title in dramatic fashion during Sunday’s 46th annual Automobile Club of Southern California NHRA Finals, overcoming a 38-point deficit to Matt Hagan of Don Schumacher Racing. Hagan’s first-round upset loss to Bob Tasca III opened the door for Force to clinch the championship with a second-round victory over Bob Bode. Force also trailered Gary Densham, a former JFR teammate, and Melanie Troxel before defeating Jeff Arend for his sixth national event victory of 2010.

Force finished 42 points ahead of Hagan, 28, who was denied his first world championship in his second full season in DSR’s DieHard Dodge Charger R/T. Force is the oldest champion in all of motorsports at the age of 61 years and six months, outdistancing NHRA Pro Stock legend Warren “The Professor” Johnson, who was 58 years and four months old when he won his sixth championship in 2001.

Force posted his first world championship in 1990 by winning seven of 19 races en route to a 43-point advantage over fellow-Californian Ed “The Ace” McCulloch. Force repeated as champion in 1991, then strung together a 10-year stretch of titles between 1993-2002. He posted separate titles in 2004 and 2006.

Asked if he would have resigned had Force not won the championship Sunday, Coil said, “Yeah, probably. But there’s no real problem in the workplace at JFR. I really like all the guys I worked with. We had such an exceptional team and two or three guys doing the hard work will become crew chiefs one day, like Guido (Dean Antonelli). It was a pleasure to race with those guys.”

Coil reiterated he did not feel crowded by the addition of Neff to Force’s tuning team. “I hope to consider them best friends for life,” Coil said. “I don’t have a problem with nobody. They’re good people. But there needs to be a cooling off period, because I deserted them.”

A native of Chicago, Coil has racked up 17 Funny Car titles, including back-to-back crowns in 1982-83 in the famed Chi-Town Hustler driven by Frank Hawley. The Chi-Town Hustler, a car in which Coil was partnered with fellow-Chicagoans John Farkonas and Pat Minick, was one of the dominant Funny Cars on the barnstorming match-race circuit during the 1970s. When sponsorship for that team disappeared in 1985, Force hired Coil and brought him to Southern California.

Coil, who won seven races with Hawley, finished the 2010 season with 139 victories on his resume. He has been selected Car Craft Magazine Funny Car Crew Chief of the Year 12 times.

Force’s latest title marked closure following the devastating foot and leg injuries he suffered in a crash at Texas Motorplex during eliminations in September 2007. Force put himself through a rigorous rehabilitation program to return to the cockpit for the start of the 2008 season, when he recorded a single national event victory and a 23-19 win-loss mark.

Force’s 0-for-24 season followed in 2009, a campaign that saw him post a 23-24 win-loss record _ his first losing effort since going 5-8 in 1984. While those numbers had some observers questioning the wisdom of “Brut Force” continuing in the cockpit, Coil was not among them.

“Ya know…at times it was kind of inspiring,” said Coil, referring to John’s post-Motorplex crash effort. “He’d come back and go to the gym every day and work out for two hours to try to get into shape. He’s probably in the best shape since I’ve known him. That old fart can do 100 chin-ups. He was determined to get back. His lights (reaction times) have never been better and he’s been a good guy to deal with this year. That’s how it is when you’re winning your fair share. That’s part of the game of racing.”

Coil said his home in Yorba Linda, Calif., is about four miles from the JFR facility. “I think I’m not that interested in hanging out there if I’m not actively involved,” Coil said. “Don’t make a very good spectator.

“Right now, I’m going on vacation for the first time in 26 years with the idea of not being on any schedule to come back. In a few days we’ll be heading up the coast of California. I’ve done that on vacation a couple of times and it seemed it was too soon before I had to go home. I’m thinking I’d like to fill my bucket list

home of the
Sox and Martin Hemi Duster

Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: HEMIFRED] #855593
11/23/10 11:35 AM
11/23/10 11:35 AM
Ohio
T
theclutcher Offline
top fuel
theclutcher  Offline
top fuel
T

Ohio
But Coil said the accompanying pay cuts “took a way bigger percentage from the top employees,” including himself.

“I don’t care if there were three cars or four,” Coil said. “My concern was my share of the pie. We all took (a pay cut) as most everyone in the industry. In a way that’s not to be unexpected. But I wasn’t happy how mine was. I still think I was paid fair for the job I was doing, but it didn’t turn out…it was a considerable surprise from what my previous contract was.

“Kind of a sign of the times, but it still doesn’t make us happy. It’s a situation where we’re told

Austin Coil, longtime tuner for John Force, says he left his former boss with some hard feelings. (File photo courtesy of the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series)
we’ve got to tighten our belt buckles. Again, I’m not saying I was unfairly treated – the economy put everyone in a pinch. But if I still had a mortgage on the house and no investments, I would have had to deal with it. As a result I’ve been less than overly happy.”

I'm convinced I’m (financially) secure, so I have no fear of that,” said Coil,

--------------------------------------------------
Sometimes I am surprized.
In these economic times, someone with no mortagage and viable investments living in So Cal, able to take yr off to vacation, has achieved more in his sport than probably anyone will, is unhappy.
Especially at his age.

Would have thought that by now , $$$ would be last thing on mind.
Focus would be to have fun with friends, relax and enjoy the ride, doing what he does best.
Touring the country on somebodys dime.

For sure some people dont appreciate what life has brought them.

I go to track on my dime to help where I can, try to learn a bit and have comradery.

If it was about money, well, Id be shoeless.
Hard to believe this one.
I guess 26 yr relationships arent worth as much as the dollar.
Kinda sad. How much does one really need?
???????

Last edited by theclutcher; 11/23/10 11:37 AM.
Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: theclutcher] #855594
11/23/10 12:03 PM
11/23/10 12:03 PM
Riverside, Ca
G
G_bob Offline
master
G_bob  Offline
master
G

Riverside, Ca
Quote:

But Coil said the accompanying pay cuts “took a way bigger percentage from the top employees,” including himself.

I'm convinced I’m (financially) secure, so I have no fear of that,” said Coil,

--------------------------------------------------
Sometimes I am surprized.
In these economic times, someone with no mortagage and viable investments living in So Cal, able to take yr off to vacation, has achieved more in his sport than probably anyone will, is unhappy.
Especially at his age.

Would have thought that by now , $$$ would be last thing on mind.
Focus would be to have fun with friends, relax and enjoy the ride, doing what he does best.
Touring the country on somebodys dime.

For sure some people dont appreciate what life has brought them.

I go to track on my dime to help where I can, try to learn a bit and have comradery.

If it was about money, well, Id be shoeless.
Hard to believe this one.
I guess 26 yr relationships arent worth as much as the dollar.
Kinda sad. How much does one really need?
???????

Sounds kinda like he was more unhappy about being treated like just another employee. Tough to take after a 26 year relationship. He obviously doesn't need the money, so the money was more a barometer of his actual status with the organization. Sounds like things were said in the 2009 winless season that grated on him and the pay cut solidified his feelings. Everyone wants to feel appreciated, and sounds like he didn't.
My

Re: coil resigns from jfr [Re: theclutcher] #855595
11/23/10 12:04 PM
11/23/10 12:04 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
clutcher, have you been going to the track since the early 70s, without a real break for at least the past 20 years?

The top people in any field don't see money as a way to keep a roof over the head and food on the table. I sure hope that Austin is beyond that and has been for many years. What it's about is a scorecard. It's a measure of what their value is in the marketplace. That's why it hurts, not because austin had to cut back to mac and cheese and turn down the thermostat, but because his worth to the company has dropped and he decided to take a break instead of putting his all in for a company that has now said he isn't as valuable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2