Print Thread
Torsion Bars Help #831943
10/17/10 03:39 PM
10/17/10 03:39 PM
Georgia, United States,
Crock Offline OP
Crock  Offline OP

Georgia, United States,
My question is what's the purpose of torsion bars and what should they be adjusted to? I recent made some changes to my 1966 plymonth belvedere i put tubular upper and lower control arms, and tubular dynamic strut bars. I made all the changes myself but took the car to my local alignment shop to have the alignment adjusted. I was told that everything was adjust but i'm a little unsure weather thats the case. The ride height of the car has changed it's seats lower in the front and high in the rear. I had to adjust the torsion bar to put the lower control arms on but the car was level before i made the changes now it's not. It's a street car but i do alot of racing on the weekend so if anyone can help me with the adjustment setting i would be very thankful

Re: Torsion Bars Help [Re: Crock] #831944
10/17/10 03:50 PM
10/17/10 03:50 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Chris2581 Offline
master
Chris2581  Offline
master

Jacksonville, FL
The T-bars are the "coil springs" in a Mopar front end.A torsion bar is basically a unwound coil spring.The alignment shop probably adjusted the ride height to the factory specs and then aligned the front end.Don't know what you use for a rear suspension,but S/S springs usually will make the car sit higher in the rear.

Nautilus Racing-
We use Superformance gaskets and Turbo Action converters/products.
Re: Torsion Bars Help [Re: Crock] #831945
10/17/10 03:55 PM
10/17/10 03:55 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

My question is what's the purpose of torsion bars and what should they be adjusted to? I recent made some changes to my 1966 plymonth belvedere i put tubular upper and lower control arms, and tubular dynamic strut bars. I made all the changes myself but took the car to my local alignment shop to have the alignment adjusted. I was told that everything was adjust but i'm a little unsure weather thats the case. The ride height of the car has changed it's seats lower in the front and high in the rear. I had to adjust the torsion bar to put the lower control arms on but the car was level before i made the changes now it's not. It's a street car but i do alot of racing on the weekend so if anyone can help me with the adjustment setting i would be very thankful

The purpose of the torsion bar is thats the spring
(torsional spring)... just dial the bars back up to
get the height you like(if the fenders are square
to the body) I just use the top of the inner fender
lip to set the height.... dont go too high because
the higher you go the less travel you have.... you
will need to have the alignment checked again

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 10/17/10 03:57 PM.