10/11/10 01:37 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
HitIt Offline
mopar
HitIt  Offline
mopar

Santa Barbara, CA
Quote:

Personally I would prefer to see it restored to "as raced".
I believe historical preservation is appropriate for any car produced and used in the muscle car era.
It's easy to preserve a cars progression from stock to as used, especially by retaining any parts that accompany the car and also researching photos or other documentation that exist.
I'd like to see more unrestored cars subject to that type of resto rather than day one.

This is exactly how I feel, although with the standard discliamer that it is none of my business, not my car, nothing to do with me etc.

very clever dinner. appetizing food fit neatly into interesting round pie.
Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hacked! [Re: Azzkikrcuda] #826446
10/11/10 02:18 PM
10/11/10 02:18 PM
Wisconsin
A
Aero426 Offline
I Live Here
Aero426  Offline
I Live Here
A

Wisconsin
Quote:

Owner can do what ever he wants with HIS car. Better to see it getting used then sitting in some museum or another trailer queen.

It is true that there is nothing to prevent owners from doing dumb things with their car, despite what they have been advised.

Also, this is not "just another car". It WAS an unmolested piece of history. Being hacked, it's no longer the really "pure" car that it was. In that regards, you can restore it later, but you can't ever really go back to the way it was.

I was told a few months ago that the owner had a short term health horizon and wanted to see the car run again. That said, the nature of the changes are still completely irresponsible.

Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hacked! [Re: Aero426] #826447
10/11/10 03:15 PM
10/11/10 03:15 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
I think some people just don't get it. This car could have been compared to a Duesenberg or any other vehicle that there are only TWO or maybe THREE examples in the whole world. That is one rare piece and it was the ultimate and very significant performance vehicle in that production year.
I also think this hacking madness has been partially perpetuated by the #'s guys. In the Mopar world some people in this hobby say that if a rare piece doesn't have the engine and air in the tires that it left the factory with, then it isn't worthy of a full restoration. To my way of thinking if a rare hemi or six pack (or any muscle era Mopar) has the same type of engine that it left the factory with then it's a worthy example and shouldn't be shunned by the so-called experts of the hobby. If this car had been restored it would have had the "experts" pointing fingers saying that "yeah it's nice but that isn't the original engine block, and those carbs came off a GTX, pooh, pooh".

Sheldon

Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hac [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #826448
10/11/10 04:38 PM
10/11/10 04:38 PM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure that anyone would be willing to pay the price numbers that have been thrown around here for the car.
66 and 67's seem to be the red headed step child of the Hemi B-Bodies.

The reason for my comments was due to a rare piece of Mopar history being damaged, sure, the value hit also came to mind but it was a distant second place. However, concerning your comment about 67's not being worth all that much? This year, bad economy and all I personally witnessed the sale of one example sell for $500,000, granted it was no run of the mill example, but it was a very similar 67 Hemi car, Is that enough for you?

I never said it couldn't bring big money.

The intention of my comment was that if for that kind of money most buyers are going to buy a later B-Body or an E-Body which are obviously far more popular choices by buyers. That also make the later more popular cars a better investment in the respect of selling at a later date when you want a different toy.
There's only a limited number of people that would only want a 66 or 67 B-Body even if it's a Hemi car.

I love 67 Plymouth B-Bodies (I have one), but it doesn't change the fact that they aren't as popular as the later cars.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hacked! [Re: RUNCHARGER] #826449
10/11/10 04:52 PM
10/11/10 04:52 PM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Quote:

I think some people just don't get it. This car could have been compared to a Duesenberg or any other vehicle that there are only TWO or maybe THREE examples in the whole world. That is one rare piece and it was the ultimate and very significant performance vehicle in that production year.
I also think this hacking madness has been partially perpetuated by the #'s guys. In the Mopar world some people in this hobby say that if a rare piece doesn't have the engine and air in the tires that it left the factory with, then it isn't worthy of a full restoration. To my way of thinking if a rare hemi or six pack (or any muscle era Mopar) has the same type of engine that it left the factory with then it's a worthy example and shouldn't be shunned by the so-called experts of the hobby. If this car had been restored it would have had the "experts" pointing fingers saying that "yeah it's nice but that isn't the original engine block, and those carbs came off a GTX, pooh, pooh".

Sheldon

I don't see the comparison as an equal to to a Deusenberg as this was a production car that someone just checked off the right order boxes to get it.
It wasn't a hand built car, which is what made Deusenbergs special, and rare.

Rare and cool, yes.
Hand built, no.

Ahh the days when you could order a car any way you wanted and not be forced to buy every option package they want to make a buck on.

Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hacked! [Re: SNK-EYZ] #826450
10/11/10 05:10 PM
10/11/10 05:10 PM
Baltimore/Denver
64Post Offline
master
64Post  Offline
master

Baltimore/Denver
I think I'm going to cut the roof off my Sox & Martin Cuda...

Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hacked! [Re: 64Post] #826451
10/11/10 05:16 PM
10/11/10 05:16 PM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Quote:

I think I'm going to cut the roof off my Sox & Martin Cuda...

If that's what you really want to do.
I wouldn't recommend it, but if it's your car.

Everyone knows convertibles don't make the best race cars.

Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hacked! [Re: SNK-EYZ] #826452
10/11/10 05:18 PM
10/11/10 05:18 PM
Wisconsin
A
Aero426 Offline
I Live Here
Aero426  Offline
I Live Here
A

Wisconsin
The comparison to a hand built Duesenberg may not be fair. But that particular '67 the way it WAS, is more than the sum of its parts. Rare equipment combination, some race history, low miles, survived untouched (until now). Very hard if not possible to duplicate "the find". If it was a name car like Sox & Martin, or Landy, more people would be screaming.

Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hac [Re: maundmotorworks] #826453
10/11/10 06:22 PM
10/11/10 06:22 PM
SE PA.
Q
QuickBpBp Offline
master
QuickBpBp  Offline
master
Q

SE PA.
Quote:

Quote:

So the guy has owned the car since 1968, as much as everyone may not like it it's is his car.

Why should he have to sell it to appease others?

Apparently it's always been a race car, so what has changed?

The constant bickering about what cars are worth is one of the things that have taken the fun out of the hobby and made it more like a business.

The love of the cars used to be what motivated people to have them and actually drive and race them.

That being said, I would return it to the as raced in the 60's look.
But as stated, it's his car.

I couldn't agree more! The bottom line is that something is only worth what someone else will pay you for it. Obviously he does not care about selling it, and I don't see anyone here that was trying to buy it. Rather I just see a bunch of armchair car restorers. Sputnik, you're right, cars are for driving, and that's the biggest reason to own one. As for selling it or restoring it a certain way to appease others, you're right there too. It's his car and nobody else's. Explain to me how that's anybody else's business...

Yep this about says it all. Sure it sucks it's a piece of history...But lets face it if it was up for sale for 100K as is it would be on the WIW board with people saying it's worth 20k tops...

If someone really wanted to save it they could as EVERYTHING does have a price...

Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hac [Re: QuickBpBp] #826454
10/11/10 06:35 PM
10/11/10 06:35 PM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Quote:

Yep this about says it all. Sure it sucks it's a piece of history...But lets face it if it was up for sale for 100K as is it would be on the WIW board with people saying it's worth 20k tops...

If someone really wanted to save it they could as EVERYTHING does have a price...

That's not always the case, some people don't have a price. As crazy as it sounds they refuse to sell no matter what.
I have a buddy like that, he's had obscene offers for his car (it's a one of 62 built IIRC) and his reply is "It's not for sale".
His wife on the other hand keeps the potential buyers contact info.
The day after he passes away she'll be on the phone pimping it out to the highest bidder.

Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hac [Re: SNK-EYZ] #826455
10/11/10 06:38 PM
10/11/10 06:38 PM
SE PA.
Q
QuickBpBp Offline
master
QuickBpBp  Offline
master
Q

SE PA.
Quote:

Quote:

That's not always the case, some people don't have a price. As crazy as it sounds they refuse to sell no matter what.
I have a buddy like that, he's had obscene offers for his car (it's a one of 62 built IIRC) and his reply is "It's not for sale".
His wife on the other hand keeps the potential buyers contact info.
The day after he passes away she'll be on the phone pimping it out to the highest bidder.

Well then you confirmed my point EVERYTHING has a price it's just that he won't be around to know what that price was....

Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hac [Re: QuickBpBp] #826456
10/11/10 06:46 PM
10/11/10 06:46 PM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Quote:

Well then you confirmed my point EVERYTHING has a price it's just that he won't be around to know what that price was....

My point was that not every person has a price.

Yes, the car has a value, but not everyone will sell.

There may not be a price that it would take for the guy to to be willing to sell the 67.

The next owner after he passes away may feel the same way, but probably not because it probably won't have the same sentimental value to them.

Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hac [Re: QuickBpBp] #826457
10/11/10 07:03 PM
10/11/10 07:03 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

...But lets face it if it was up for sale for 100K as is it would be on the WIW board with people saying it's worth 20k tops...

Aint that the truth!

Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hacked! [Re: HitIt] #826458
10/11/10 08:05 PM
10/11/10 08:05 PM
South-Central (Sebring), FL
Commando1 Offline
master
Commando1  Offline
master

South-Central (Sebring), FL
I want that car more than anything.
I don't have the money.
Therefor I want to live my life vicariously through him and do with it as I would do.
If I had the money.
Which I don't.

Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hacked! [Re: Commando1] #826459
10/11/10 10:16 PM
10/11/10 10:16 PM
Appleton, Wisconsin
rtmike Offline
master
rtmike  Offline
master

Appleton, Wisconsin
Fact: His car, his right to do whatever he likes to it.

Fact: In doing so he damages an exceptionally rare car.

Opinion: I think he's off his rocker. I don't care if he bought it from Fred Flintstone, he could have traded for a car that was 100% ready to go and do what he would like to it, or come up with a deal to do the same things without cutting it up.

Opinion 2: My undies aren't in a bundle, this was posted to elicit opinions, and it did, thats what makes this place interesting.

Its not primer its perma gray.
Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hac [Re: QuickBpBp] #826460
10/11/10 10:17 PM
10/11/10 10:17 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
For discussion sake, take price and value out.
What has been done to the car will not (likely) be un-done.
What has been done to the car could have been done to any number of donor cars (from 60's to current production).
I'm going to guess here, I have a gut feeling the guy has done this to smite others that might thought they had a chance to (finally) own the car.
Having a terminal diagnosis makes some people do incomprehensible things.

Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hac [Re: srt] #826461
10/12/10 03:07 AM
10/12/10 03:07 AM
Lower AZ
AZ-Nick Offline
Here Since 1996!
AZ-Nick  Offline
Here Since 1996!

Lower AZ
I remember 2 years ago when I thought the end was getting here quicker than I wanted, I thought I was about to die because of a tumor they found in me.
At that specific moment I remember being with my dad for the last few months he had when he was dieing of Cancer in 2000. At that time I could not fathom what his thoughts were and the decisions he was making made no sense to me at the time. He did what he wanted and when he wanted to do it.
So when it happened to me I started to understand that this was it and if I wanted something or to do something I better get it done and I too didn't care what anyone would think..... It is an awful feeling to have and to go through. If the owner wants to do it to his car, so be it, let him, you will have your chance to mirror his feelings and thoughts someday and you will reflect back and do your thing.....

71 GTX 4sp Dana GY9 HD Road King
Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hac [Re: AZ-Nick] #826462
10/12/10 04:50 AM
10/12/10 04:50 AM
Anchorage, Alaska
Iceman01 Offline
Challenged
Iceman01  Offline
Challenged

Anchorage, Alaska
Quote:

I remember 2 years ago when I thought the end was getting here quicker than I wanted, I thought I was about to die because of a tumor they found in me.
At that specific moment I remember being with my dad for the last few months he had when he was dieing of Cancer in 2000. At that time I could not fathom what his thoughts were and the decisions he was making made no sense to me at the time. He did what he wanted and when he wanted to do it.
So when it happened to me I started to understand that this was it and if I wanted something or to do something I better get it done and I too didn't care what anyone would think..... It is an awful feeling to have and to go through. If the owner wants to do it to his car, so be it, let him, you will have your chance to mirror his feelings and thoughts someday and you will reflect back and do your thing.....

Amen brother!

Until total honesty is on the table, we're not even talking about reality...
Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hac [Re: QuickBpBp] #826463
10/12/10 07:23 AM
10/12/10 07:23 AM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

That depends on what you value.

My opinion is not everything has a price, there are... things... you could not pry from me for love or money.

Re: 1 of 2 Known 67 Hemi 4 Speed Belvedere Sedan - Hac [Re: AZ-Nick] #826464
10/12/10 08:42 AM
10/12/10 08:42 AM
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
J
JulesdaWiperman Offline
super gas
JulesdaWiperman  Offline
super gas
J

Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Quote:

Could not have stated it better myself.
Ones' whole perpective on life changes and material things mean nothing anymore.
Although my health is stable, I think about it every day.
Jules

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9