H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Quote:

IF the story is true, and he did what the OP says .

And the local authorties allow a beat down and having put in in harms way with a flamable liquid

With no charges, thats wrong ..death for stealing ? Since when is that correct punishment for a crime ?

And most of my points were in regards to the legal system and lawsuit brought against him from the perp

And again I am not on the side of the criminal but, lets just say ..

The person doing the crime is a misguided youth and he is your son ..

The kid does something stupid

Roy DOES dump fuel on him and someone sparks it off and he goes up

You guys are okay with that ? Please

Property can be replaced, most are insured or should be

Death for what a old Holley carb, a laptop ?

You need to get your priorties straight if so

IN AZ, THREATENING the use of deadly force against a suspect in a property crime is legal---actually doing it isn't (weird, huh?) While I've never seen anyone do what Roy allegedly did, I've seen things that were close & believe me, NOTHING was filed against the "assailant".
If someone breaks into my home, RV, whatever I can only assume it's to commit a felony (which burglary is) and that he is willing to go beyond that. In the interest of protecting myself I will insure he is incapacitaited to insure he doesn't escape, harm me or even has the desire to come back. It's all legal, reasonable and to give someone a break 'cause he's "misguided" or "desperate" is merely offering an excuse and rewarding criminal behavior.

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: hemicop] #805090
09/19/10 08:24 AM
09/19/10 08:24 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

IF the story is true, and he did what the OP says .

And the local authorties allow a beat down and having put in in harms way with a flamable liquid

With no charges, thats wrong ..death for stealing ? Since when is that correct punishment for a crime ?

And most of my points were in regards to the legal system and lawsuit brought against him from the perp

And again I am not on the side of the criminal but, lets just say ..

The person doing the crime is a misguided youth and he is your son ..

The kid does something stupid

Roy DOES dump fuel on him and someone sparks it off and he goes up

You guys are okay with that ? Please

Property can be replaced, most are insured or should be

Death for what a old Holley carb, a laptop ?

You need to get your priorties straight if so

IN AZ, THREATENING the use of deadly force against a suspect in a property crime is legal---actually doing it isn't (weird, huh?) While I've never seen anyone do what Roy allegedly did, I've seen things that were close & believe me, NOTHING was filed against the "assailant".
If someone breaks into my home, RV, whatever I can only assume it's to commit a felony (which burglary is) and that he is willing to go beyond that. In the interest of protecting myself I will insure he is incapacitaited to insure he doesn't escape, harm me or even has the desire to come back. It's all legal, reasonable and to give someone a break 'cause he's "misguided" or "desperate" is merely offering an excuse and rewarding criminal behavior.

I like your attitude.

I guess the only problem is when the perp gets a lawyer and the jackazzes that make up the "jury of peers" decide that you should have offered someone coffee, doughnuts and "counseling" when you catch them violating your space.

MB

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: bigdad] #805091
09/19/10 09:42 AM
09/19/10 09:42 AM
NC
H
HMcCandless_Jr Offline
mopar
HMcCandless_Jr  Offline
mopar
H

NC
Biddad you dont have a clue who Roy is if you think for one second Roy will get in trouble.

I heard this from someone who has worked for Roy for 25+ years and he builds my sons Jr Dragster motors. We are very good friends as I'm also very tight with Roy but havent spoken with him on this. There are alot of rumors but the bottom line is the guy threatened Roy a 65 year old man, the only problem is he didnt know Roy isnt scared of anything PERIOD. The guy just better be glad the cops showed up when they did.

BIGDAD, I can tell you this, I have told my boys who race and have been very succesful on the racetrack but more so in School and life if they ever come to our trailer and someone threatens them to take our paces carb cleaner or brake cleaner and spray them in the eyes. We race Jr Dragsters and we clean the clutch every run with that stuff so we have cans sitting next the back and side door as well as our pit pal rack. Its a shame I have 2 straight A kids who are Herb McCandless's Grandsons VERY Good kids and I have had to teach them how to shoot someone in the eyes with brakeclean.

You will never see Roy get charged with anything. Is he right well who knows, but From who I was told by my engine builder who was there, the guy begged the police to take him to jail and get him away from Roy.

The worst part is telling all your 20+ year old buddies you get the HXXX beat out of you by a 65 year old man.

Last edited by HMcCandless_Jr; 09/19/10 09:50 AM.
Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: EV2DEMON] #805092
09/19/10 10:16 AM
09/19/10 10:16 AM
NC
H
HMcCandless_Jr Offline
mopar
HMcCandless_Jr  Offline
mopar
H

NC
Quote:

Quote:

Right attorney, right jury ..

he will get allot more than legal fees for being beat up .

Sorry but, you can not take the law into your own hands unless under direct threat

Here, Texas ..You come onto my property and I catch you stealing , I can't kill you

UNLESS ..You have a weapon, any weapon and a fear for my life

Then , yes .. you can, its the law

Again , I am not on the perps side but, he can't enforce the law, he has no authority

We have police for that for a reason.

1. He didn't kill anyone, so I don't know how you think any of that is relevant.

2. I saw Roy Hill 3 weeks ago. I seriously doubt he could beat the crap out of anyone.

You know how stories get around. I wouldn't assume anything as fact until the real story comes out. I heard about it a couple hours ago and nothing about anyone getting beat up or doused in gas was in the story I heard.

I'm sorry to tell you but your #2 is so far wrong it isnt even funny. That is one man you dont want to mess with. I've only known him my whole life, he actually bought my dad 68 Hemi Dart Super Stock car in 1970 the car Randy Hopkins has today. Read my above post.

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: HMcCandless_Jr] #805093
09/19/10 10:41 AM
09/19/10 10:41 AM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline
master
tubtar  Offline
master

St. Paul , Mn.
Sort of side ways related.......does anyone remember when Jack Dempsey was leaving his joint in NYC and was accosted by a gang of youths intent on robbing him.
This made national news back then.
It was in the late 70's as I recall and Jack was somewhere near 80 yrs. old.
The youths left empty handed and in a hurry.
Closer to home , a former co-worker was getting a full rasher of crap from a much younger fellow at the tavern after work one time.
The younger man ( around 30 ) told him " If you weren't so old , I'd kicK your a** "
Don ( 50 yrs. ) told him " Don't let old stop you " and mopped up the floor with him.
Roy sounds like a guy who doesn't take any B.S. , and stood up for what is right.
Good work I say.

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: tubtar] #805094
09/19/10 11:25 AM
09/19/10 11:25 AM
NE Ohio
DoubleD Online content
top fuel
DoubleD  Online Content
top fuel

NE Ohio
Sounds about right for Roy - I bet he was sitting there holding a pack of matches - if you think old Roy can't handle himself your mistaken - Roy is a character with a big temper and ain't afraid of a little dust up once in a while!

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: DoubleD] #805095
09/19/10 12:22 PM
09/19/10 12:22 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
As a mattter of fact, Yes ..I have met Roy , and talked to him for some period of time

Finals, staging lanes @ Scribner, Neb ..They were in still in Prostock and we were in Hot Rod

I like how people are offended by me saying, you can't just go around beating up and spraying brake cleaner in peoples eyes ?

First off , I don't prefr to live my life in fear of being attacked so I would never adopt that type of outlook but, thats just me

So I understand, you have given authority to two young boys to decide when it would be okay to assult someone with a very dangerous product that could result in perm damage ?

Wow, thats a pretty heavy bit of trust in a child that in most cases is not capable of making a decision like that ?

What if the person really was no threat, maybe needed a 9/16 wrench and he lost eyesight ?

If you think some smooth talking lawyer isn't going after what you have and will have , you are sadly mistaken

I'll make sure, if I ever have the oppertunity to be anywhere near you and your children to keep a safe distance

I have met your dad, talked to him at length also, he likes my truck

He was a very, very nice person to talk to .

God bless

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: HMcCandless_Jr] #805096
09/19/10 04:55 PM
09/19/10 04:55 PM
NC
chris3 Offline
mopar
chris3  Offline
mopar

NC
Herb,Jr. some folks don't know the Roy Hill we know. Roy can be the most gentle easy going individual but don't be caught in his trailer or motor home trying to steal from him. We are talking about Roy Hill being in trouble in the State of North Carolina, Charlotte, NC at a dragstrip. As many people in this state grew up seeing Roy Hill race and people who raced with him, I would not want to be the lawyer who tried to defend this clown in a North Carolina court. The thing is even if he is convicted he will be on the street before the sun goes down. I'll bet he won't be back stealing from drag racers again. If he was in the man's home (motorhome) he is lucky he chose that motorhome to be caught in.

Herb, how is your dad. With our motor broke we have missed a couple of months.

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: Dragula] #805097
09/19/10 05:13 PM
09/19/10 05:13 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

I would have done the same thing to them or worse.... Found said idiot in my trailor and he came at me when I entered and we spilled a gas can when we fell to the ground and tuseled, sounds like self defense to me. Who's a jury to believe, the scum bag theiven [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] or the guy who found him stealing? Personally, I would have found the biggest thing in the trailor hanging off the wall and crushed him with it....Self defense, pure and simple.

I have been a veryhonest person all my life. I have gone to small claims court on two seperate occasions for property of mine. In both cases, the other party lied thru their teeth and won. I have now learned, if there is no evidence to say otherwise, LIE.....Cause that's what they are going to do and nothing matters but winning the case.

I have had similar experience but I have a different take. Courts are for those that have connections. Evidence or not.

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: DCM71cuda] #805098
09/19/10 05:33 PM
09/19/10 05:33 PM
Kissimmee Fl.
D
dusturbd340W5 Offline
master
dusturbd340W5  Offline
master
D

Kissimmee Fl.
If I find a perp in my home or my RV or trailer there done PERIOD because I can promise you I will be in fear of my life and I will defend myself as needed as far as a thief is concern we should treat them like some other countries do and take off there hand.

70 duster full chassis super pro 416 CNC Indybrock heads 727 w/brake

best so far 1.212 60 6.219 in 1/8 at 110.88 9.768 at 137.81 1/4
Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: dusturbd340W5] #805099
09/19/10 07:10 PM
09/19/10 07:10 PM
Cleveland Ohio
10secGTX Offline
top fuel
10secGTX  Offline
top fuel

Cleveland Ohio
Bigdad.....are sure you live in Texas ? I would expect this from someone from California NOT Texas.

Roy deserves a medal or trophy as far as I'm concerned.
I think the gas thing is just a great addition to a good story.

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: 10secGTX] #805100
09/19/10 07:26 PM
09/19/10 07:26 PM
Raleigh N.C
H
hemiparts Offline
"Missile Pilot"
hemiparts  Offline
"Missile Pilot"
H

Raleigh N.C
If you have any questions about Roy Hill just take a few minutes and go over to Competition Plus and read Roy's entries into the " War Stories Competition. I think that you would be a dumb as a bag of rocks to mess with him... Also FYI general statue in NC states " that you are allowed to use just force to defend yourself, protect your property or detain a intruder until the authorities arrive to intervene " and like chris3 said this is NC, this is Roy Hills home turf besides that race track is private property so it'll be up to the track ( i.e Bruton Smith)we do still practice "Good Ole Boy Justice " down in this neck of the woods

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: 10secGTX] #805101
09/19/10 07:34 PM
09/19/10 07:34 PM
toledo, ohio
plasticfantastic Offline
top fuel
plasticfantastic  Offline
top fuel

toledo, ohio
good for roy,
how stupid can roy be?

i hope the guy he caught gets whats coming to him, and I hope Roy gets whats coming to him for doing what he did.

just because you are doing something right, or with the right intentions DOES NOT give anyone the right to beat someone or throw gasoline on them and threaten them with lighting it.

i feel sorry for the people on here that think these type of actions are acceptable, no matter what the situation.

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: hemiparts] #805102
09/19/10 07:37 PM
09/19/10 07:37 PM
toledo, ohio
plasticfantastic Offline
top fuel
plasticfantastic  Offline
top fuel

toledo, ohio
Quote:

Also FYI general statue in NC states " that you are allowed to use just force to defend yourself, protect your property or detain a intruder until the authorities arrive to intervene "

besides that race track is private property so it'll be up to the track ( i.e Bruton Smith)we do still practice "Good Ole Boy Justice " down in this neck of the woods

just force, that does not mean pouring gasoline on someone...

just curious, what would be up to burton smith, (the race track)?

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: plasticfantastic] #805103
09/19/10 08:27 PM
09/19/10 08:27 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.

just force, that does not mean pouring gasoline on someone...

I don't think so. For a 65 year-old man to REASONABLY detain a felony suspect AND insure his own safety, a REASONABLE person would expect him to resort to something other than shere brute strength,which he may not have. He therefore resorted to other "assets" availible to him & merely threatened the individual. Another way of looking at it is, he was only utilizing his Right of free speech after the "poor, misunderstood" felon "somehow" got gasoline on him. .
GROW UP! Someone stood up to a criminal, the bad guy "lost" & you don't like it!
those that sympathize with the criminal, what would you have Roy do? Let him go? The cops response wouldn't allow for that, so ahe did the best he could with the assets availible....

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: bigdad] #805104
09/19/10 08:55 PM
09/19/10 08:55 PM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline
master
tubtar  Offline
master

St. Paul , Mn.
Quote:

I'll make sure, if I ever have the oppertunity to be anywhere near you and your children to keep a safe distance

Yes.......because we all know how much of a threat people who like to keep what they worked for can be.
I know.......my post comes off as being somewhat developmentally disabled. ( I don't want to say retarded for fear of offending )
But your post has a ring of developmental disability to it as well.
Opportunity B.T.W. .......opportunity.
If Roy had lit the miscreant on fire , it would have made headlines.
I think he accomplished what he set out to do , which was put the fear of God into the poor misguided victim who was attempting to steal from him.
Because I believe if he intended to burn him alive , he would have done just that.
A terrible risk , you say ?
Riskier than piloting a sub seven second car ?
Riskier than stealing from someone ?
Riskier than stealing from someone who worked and devoted themselves to the item or principle you want for free ?
There is a huge difference.
I can't force myself to see a thief in any positive light , and will not concede to the idea that they deserve anything more than they would grant their victims.
That's awful eloquent for a truck driver.
What I'd like to say is *&^*%^$*&^*$%* the little *&^%**&^%$er.

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: hemicop] #805105
09/19/10 08:58 PM
09/19/10 08:58 PM
pacific northwest
S
Stroker Scamp Offline
master
Stroker Scamp  Offline
master
S

pacific northwest
nothing like a old fashioned beat down, dont know the ins and out of it, but if your a thief you need your hands cut off, thats why our society is so screwed up nobody get punished for doing things wrong, its always well its just a car part or whatnot, if you didnt buy it dont touch it,....... dont get me going

footbrake N/A SB 408 Scamp 10.10 @ 132 street/strip
73 Duster 340 street strip 12.79 @ 105
Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: DCM71cuda] #805106
09/19/10 09:07 PM
09/19/10 09:07 PM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline
master
tubtar  Offline
master

St. Paul , Mn.
Quote:

Here is another thread on another board...

web page

If you can read this and still feel a shred of sympathy for the perp , or feel that he was wronged somehow.........well , I guess our thought processes run in opposite directions.

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: tubtar] #805107
09/19/10 09:56 PM
09/19/10 09:56 PM
NC
H
HMcCandless_Jr Offline
mopar
HMcCandless_Jr  Offline
mopar
H

NC
I didnt tell them to spray at will, I said if your threatened and feel you are in danger and running isnt an option brake clean, carb cleaner or starting fluid is your best friend. I always park around friends at the race but one of my sons usually gets back a few minutes before the other one, im todays society you never know.

Herb Jr

Re: Roy Hill doing Police work at ZMAX..... [Re: HMcCandless_Jr] #805108
09/19/10 10:35 PM
09/19/10 10:35 PM
United Socialist States of Ame...
T
tboomer Offline
Too Many Posts
tboomer  Offline
Too Many Posts
T

United Socialist States of Ame...
Guys...In todays world,Us old guys may not be "politically correct"...We were brought up not to steal etc...Would I have done the same as Roy? Maybe not...But I tell ya what...The dang thief would have been wishing the cops would show up soon...I have no problem giving someone a helping hand. But do not try to steal my stuff...Cause that person will loose...

Need your rear end checked out? Contact Grizzly!!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5