09/23/10 10:18 AM
09/23/10 10:18 AM
Rock Springs
Bob_Coomer Offline
master
Bob_Coomer  Offline
master

Rock Springs
I had my Little Dakota at Clay City a few years back, A guy pulls in beside me in a late 90's Viper. I hear them talking between all his buddy's saying "Why would someone race a truck like that" and making other snidely remarks about my truck.
Well what do you know first round of time trials, he's next too me. Tree comes down both at the same time during these time trials and there is No Index, or numbers written on most cars yet. I pull him by what seems like a half track margin. LOL Think he runs high 12's and I run mid to high 9's LOL..
They came over and wanted to look under the hood I break my arms trying to get the hood shut when they walk my way.
He actually yells "Wait, dont close that yet" So I turned the other cheek and open the hood to let them look, ended up talking for a good while, and they were actually pretty nice.
Another short one.
Then at Clay city the same season, a guy pulls in trailer'n a 66-67 Chevelle with a blown small block Chevy, sounded pretty mean.
I hear his kids talking about my truck, I assume the dad made a comment, and the kids took it from there.
That turd wouldn't even run 12's. LOL I ended up running him sometime during the night breaking out and loosing...That guy wouldnt even speak to me, or look my way.

[color:"red"]65 Hemi Belvedere coming soon [/color]
[color:"#00FF00"]557" Indy engine 1.07 60ft 144mph in the 8th 2100 lbs package [/color]
Re: Staging Lanes "unplugged" [Re: Bob_Coomer] #803614
09/23/10 11:07 AM
09/23/10 11:07 AM
Backwater, PA
B
bwdst6 Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
bwdst6  Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
B

Backwater, PA
When I was a teenager I went to the track one day and heard a lot of buzz in the staging lanes over some trick 1981 Chassis-ed Plymouth Arrow. It was a Barnett car with a 500 plus cube, all aluminum hemi in it. The driver was going on and on about how quick it was. And how it was going so fast that it would lift up the front end around the 1000' mark.

So anyway, he gets up to make his first time run against some pale brown '78 Aspen in just about complete street trim. The thing looked like my grandmother's daily driver. So after the guy in the arrow does some big John Force burn out. Gets one of his crew to back him in and out of the stage beams to get in the grove, etc, etc, etc...

They leave the line and the guy in the Arrow outruns the Aspen by a half a track length. He went 7.80 something at nearly 190 mph!!!!! That Arrow was awesome!

Last edited by bwdst6; 09/23/10 11:08 AM.

This post is available in double vision where drunk.
Re: Staging Lanes "unplugged" [Re: bwdst6] #803615
09/23/10 05:48 PM
09/23/10 05:48 PM
P
Paul_Fancsali Offline
master
Paul_Fancsali  Offline
master
P

Back in mid 70s I was racing for $1,000 and vacation trip supposed to be a street tire inspected etc. I run threw to end with 3 cars I was the bye due to perfect reaction time.I going to stage when official runs up and says that a car was Missed?? up comes a 440 dart with slicks and open headers. I protested I went threw 3 rounds and won this JA had not run one. The Dart dials 14.0 yea right I'm dialed 14.2 away we go he throttles back and nails it on the light to bump his bumper ahead of mine takes win. Ok I ate crow next weekend same thing this time all out drag car in staging lanes as street car. A very well known local racer I end up with him on line next to me. This time I'm a wise [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] I change dial to 15.0 and open up bottle. His car had run low to mid 11s so he dials 12.5. This had to be the start of the slowest race ever I literally idled down track shifting at 4 grand and gambled. saw him running up on me for easy kill or so he thought I jammed the gear down hit the shot and away I went to a win! right on my dial how I never know. I was the winner or so I thought I was accused of sand bagging, when I questioned his 12.5 dial that was irrelevent. I was a sandbagger and therefore either run again or leave I took them up on leave but on the way out there fence gate got accidently ran down, by parties unknown? Oh well thats the fun of racing in the old days

Re: Staging Lanes "unplugged" [Re: Paul_Fancsali] #803616
09/23/10 10:40 PM
09/23/10 10:40 PM
Livonia Michigan
440dart Offline
enthusiast
440dart  Offline
enthusiast

Livonia Michigan
Quote:

Back in mid 70s I was racing for $1,000 and vacation trip supposed to be a street tire inspected etc. I run threw to end with 3 cars I was the bye due to perfect reaction time.I going to stage when official runs up and says that a car was Missed?? up comes a 440 dart with slicks and open headers. I protested I went threw 3 rounds and won this JA had not run one. The Dart dials 14.0 yea right I'm dialed 14.2 away we go he throttles back and nails it on the light to bump his bumper ahead of mine takes win. Ok I ate crow next weekend same thing this time all out drag car in staging lanes as street car. A very well known local racer I end up with him on line next to me. This time I'm a wise [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] I change dial to 15.0 and open up bottle. His car had run low to mid 11s so he dials 12.5. This had to be the start of the slowest race ever I literally idled down track shifting at 4 grand and gambled. saw him running up on me for easy kill or so he thought I jammed the gear down hit the shot and away I went to a win! right on my dial how I never know. I was the winner or so I thought I was accused of sand bagging, when I questioned his 12.5 dial that was irrelevent. I was a sandbagger and therefore either run again or leave I took them up on leave but on the way out there fence gate got accidently ran down, by parties unknown? Oh well thats the fun of racing in the old days

Sand bagging does not apply in a bracket race

Yes I live in Michigan, so there is still 1 light on
Page 2 of 2 1 2