Grafton, OH
L
lmn6pack Offline OP
super street
lmn6pack  Offline OP
super street
L

Grafton, OH
The piece with the shift pattern in it, mine doesn't want to come off. How the heck can I get that off so I can remove the top plate to my console. The boot needs to slide over the shifter
and that piece needs to be removed so the boot will slide off. Thanks.....

Re: How do you remove the top piece on a pistolgrip? [Re: lmn6pack] #78948
06/23/08 10:59 PM
06/23/08 10:59 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
the plastic lense? I've heard the only way to get it out is to pry it with a screw driver, and possibly break it. eh, a new one is only like $5.

the entire "grip" portion? I don't think it's supposed to come off, but I think it's held on with roll pins.

just lift your boot up high enough to remove the handle from the shifter on the transmission, and then pull the entire handle and boot out at once.

it's annoying, holding the rubber boot up in the air, but that's how I do it on my truck with a TKO600 and pistol grip shifter.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: How do you remove the top piece on a pistolgrip? [Re: 70Cuda383] #78949
06/23/08 11:46 PM
06/23/08 11:46 PM
Long Island, New York
57Fury440 Offline
57Fury440  Offline

Long Island, New York
To remove the plastic lens you will have to break it. A new one is not $5.00 but more like $15.00 to $20.00 depending on where you get it. The reproduction lenses are nice but not exactly the same as the originals. I would try leaving it on and just lifting it out of the way.

Re: How do you remove the top piece on a pistolgrip? [Re: 57Fury440] #78950
06/23/08 11:58 PM
06/23/08 11:58 PM
east side of Ohio
basketcase Offline
master
basketcase  Offline
master

east side of Ohio
he's talking about the chrome piece the shift patteren sits in.
take the grips off, and gently tap the chrome piece off with a small hammer. I always put a touch of super glue on the top of the shifter before putting the chrome part back onn. stays on fine till thed it off.

Dave

1981 Dodge D150 360 auto
Re: How do you remove the top piece on a pistolgrip? [Re: basketcase] #78951
06/24/08 09:00 AM
06/24/08 09:00 AM
Grafton, OH
L
lmn6pack Offline OP
super street
lmn6pack  Offline OP
super street
L

Grafton, OH
I have been using a rubber mallet and hitting from
the bottom upward and its not moving. Does it come off straight up or does it slide off sideways? I'm talking about the whole chrome piece that holds the lense. Thanks.

Re: How do you remove the top piece on a pistolgrip? [Re: lmn6pack] #78952
06/24/08 09:16 AM
06/24/08 09:16 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

I have been using a rubber mallet and hitting from
the bottom upward and its not moving. Does it come off straight up or does it slide off sideways? I'm talking about the whole chrome piece that holds the lense. Thanks.

rubber mallet probably won't cut it, it's probably bouncing off more than it's hitting up.

try a deadblow hammer (the ones filled with shot) or a real hammer and a blunt hard object like a large drift punch--something that will transfer the energy into the part, and not into rebounding the hammer.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: How do you remove the top piece on a pistolgrip? [Re: basketcase] #78953
06/24/08 09:37 AM
06/24/08 09:37 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Here's the deal...

The upper bezel has a square hole through the bottom center, the top of the flat handle has a square "peg" shaped into the flat handle that passes through the hole in the upper bezel. After the bezel was placed on the top of the handle the handle was put into a machine that peened over the square corners of the peg so that it no longer can back out of the hole it passes through. The lens was then glued into the top recess in the upper bezel to hide it all.

Fix:

To save the lens and the bezel: The lenses are extremely fragile, and so are the bezels, anything hard like a knife blade (hard steel) prying against the chromed (soft) pot metal upper bezel, will depress or dent the edges of the sharp upper feature around the pot metal upper bezel, this is not repairable once done. The lenes were fragile and tight fitting being glued in place with a pretty tough glue, same deal, any sharp object prying on them and usually a non repairable scratch or chunk missing will result. I generally pass on trying to save the lens and just buy a new one, they aren't expensive, if the bezel chrome is nice just punch a guide hole in the center of the lens then drill a small hole through it so you can pry it out without prying against the upper bezel edges, this saves the bezel from potential prying damage. I have found that most re-chromers can't do a perfect job on pot metal parts (getting them perfect) and they usually cost more than a reproduction, so, I'd just buy both parts new and go from there.

So, if you are determined to save both original parts caution is the name of the game. Take the handle and imerse it in REALLY hot water (not boiling but hot from the tap). this will allow the glue under the lens to soften a bit. Then it's a matter of VERY carefully prying at the edges with a thin fairly sharp tool (razr blade thin) working around the sides and trying to get the glue to give removing then lens. Typically the black rubberized backing of the lens will come off as it's removed so don't get your hopes too high, they are rarely removable without damage but it won't hurt to try.

The upper bezel is another story, the only way to remove it is to get the lens off and get a small grinder (like a "Wizzer with a dime sized cutting disc) and cut away the peened over corners allowing the bezel to be removed. To replace it grind away the chrome where the two surfaces fit together and add some JB Weld or similar adhesive to retain the new one. Use a dab of clear silicone to replace the lens.

Re: How do you remove the top piece on a pistolgrip? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #78954
06/24/08 04:38 PM
06/24/08 04:38 PM
Grafton, OH
L
lmn6pack Offline OP
super street
lmn6pack  Offline OP
super street
L

Grafton, OH
Thanks for the replies!