08/28/10 10:01 PM
08/28/10 10:01 PM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline OP
master
RoadRunner  Offline OP
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
Any one here familiar with the AC system in a 2001 Caravan? My friend's dad passed away and he had a handicap access Caravan. I think the things was like $40k when new. Anyway, my friend called up the place that sold it and they offered hime $3k for it .

As he gets it ready for the open market he noticed the AC isn't working very well. The system has a full charge as confirmed by myself and the local repair shop. The compressor seems to cycle on when the AC button is pushed on the dash. But the air coming out of the vent is only slightly cooler than ambient. The rear AC system seems to work great. After 5 minutes of running today, the rear half cooled off, and there was a large puddle of condensate under the right rear tire (where the rear AC evaporator is located). Are there two compressors on the van and maybe the front isn't working? Is there a setting we missed? I didn't see anything in the owner's manual. Is there a selonoid that switches it to the front system? I am at a loss.

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1
Re: Caravan AC Question [Re: RoadRunner] #786567
08/28/10 10:15 PM
08/28/10 10:15 PM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline
master
dodgeram440  Offline
master

Piqua, Ohio
There is only one ac compressor, but it is basically two different systems, each with its own evaporator and expansion valves. But, since you said the pressures seem to be ok, I would have to assume that the actual systems themselves are ok. My guess would be the blend doors in the dash allowing some of the hot air from the heater core to blend with the cold ac air. The coolant flows thru the heater core constantly instead of being shut off like the old cars. These vans (and all new cars built in the last 20 years) have a door that shuts off air flow thru the heater core allowing for cold ac air.

Re: Caravan AC Question [Re: RoadRunner] #786568
08/29/10 12:05 PM
08/29/10 12:05 PM
ST clair shores MI
M
moretoys Offline
top fuel
moretoys  Offline
top fuel
M

ST clair shores MI
same compressor,just has lines T-off to go to the rear evaporator.A.C on is A.c on.only front-rear control is fan speed/hot-cold control.Be 100% sure it has a full charge.The rear is smaller unit,so it takes less freon to operate.The operating guage readings should give you an idea whats wrong.DO not go by a static- low side pressure reading.You need operating high and low side readings.possible the front could have a bad expansion valve.Only way to verify is with high side/low side reading.could still be low on freon.cooling fan come on? restriction in the high side?If the front system also sweats under the hood.Then the problem is in the heater case.blend door not in correct position.= bad motor or broken door.No it is not and easy fix if it's a blend door problem.

Re: Caravan AC Question [Re: moretoys] #786569
08/29/10 10:53 PM
08/29/10 10:53 PM
Chicago Burbs
sthemi Offline
master
sthemi  Offline
master

Chicago Burbs
Had the same problem on my 200 T&C, the blend doors were the problem, but the heater/AC assembly needs to come out for repair, and as long as it is out replace the
evapator....