1935 Terraplane HEMI ROD build thread #774120
08/15/10 02:28 PM
08/15/10 02:28 PM
Eastern Ontario
HEMI ROD Offline OP
HEMI ROD  Offline OP

Eastern Ontario
Hi Folks,
Just wanted to share my project from the early stages so that we will have a complete history of the HEMI ROD build of the 1935 Terraplane Coupe.
When at a local car show with my 2005 ROUSH GT ( to be sold to fund this build ) I met a lady who told me her brother was selling off some cars. She thought she had met me several weeks prior and asked me if I had called him. I told her that she had mistaken me for someone else but I would be interested in finding out what he had for sale! Wow, what luck to find an all steel body that was in storage for nearly 50 years, and a Terraplane at that. There is minimal work to do to because there is no major rust out anywhere, except for some pinholes in the running boards and some surface rust ....as a matter of fact it is so good a survivor that I first planned to restore it but a recent trip to the Syracuse Nationals put things in perspective for me. Over 7000 cars of all types from rats to restored, but no 35 Terraplane Coupes to be seen. So, on the drive home I decided to rod the coupe with a stock looking exterior but have a safe and dependable ride to cruise in for the foreseeable future.
So, this is where I plan to share my plans and thoughts and progress reports so that we can share the experience of building this car. The Terraplane Coupe is mine t’ill death do us part. It will be my new pride and joy to replace my 2005 ROUSH GT which I never thought I would sell. Someone is going to get one nice car that is custom built with all the ROUSH goodies. Sorry folks, I am keeping all the trophies!
The HEMI ROD Plan
Body off and onto the rotisserie for some stripping and prepping for paint while frame is media blasted!
Fatman Stage lll Mustang IFS with 5 bolt 4.5 pattern and power rack.
2006 DODGE 1500 PICKUP 5.7 HEMI WITH ECU ( 42,000 miles )
2003 DODGE 1500 5 SPEED TRANNY with overdrive
1972 Cuda 8 ¾ rear end ( gearing TBD as well as type of setup )
Aftermarket Steering column and cruise control
American Autowire Highway 22 wiring kit
Military style wheels 8” wide with original Terraplane hubcaps (Vintique ?)
Tires and size TBD
Disk brakes in front, shoes in rear
Interior original bench seat redone in Mohair similar to original in addition to all original headliner and door panels etc.
Retro fitted gauge cluster behind original face plate ( if possible )
3 point seat belts
New gas tank and fuel pump
Black Cherry water based non metallic paint
CURRENT STATUS as of August 15 2010
Heated shop rented with huge compressor and paint booth, cabinet blaster moved in and operational, car on jack stands while being disassembled.
Rotisserie acquired and thinking through body mount brackets and approach!
Interior removal started, fenders and running boards, grill shell/rad, hood, motor etc all removed bagged and tagged.
Local chassis builder identified and on board for frame fabrications mods and set up
Motor & tranny on stand ready for clean up
Sourcing parts for frame mods etc.
Decisions....decisions and more decisions!
Thanks for reading and don’t hesitate to provide your insights, ideas and thoughts. My apologies to those who think I am crazy for Roding this rare and incredible car. My first one was a 1934 Chev Master restoration which I did 30 years ago, so I have been there and done that.
Regards,
Doug

Links
Terraplane pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/12762140@N07/sets/72157623937930823/
ROUSH GT pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/12762140@N07/sets/72157624424968481/

" You don't know what you don't know"
Re: 1935 Terraplane HEMI ROD build thread [Re: HEMI ROD] #774121
09/01/10 08:23 AM
09/01/10 08:23 AM
Montana
F
FuryUs Offline
master
FuryUs  Offline
master
F