Manheim PA.
M
mopardad Offline OP
pro stock
mopardad  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Manheim PA.
ok this is for my sons 5.7 hemi, its a Comp Cams hydraulic roller, non adjustable rockers, pushrod length I believe is easy enough, using a adjustable pushrod set the pushrod for zero lash measure it & add the recommended lifter preload, however to check piston to valve clearance using light checking springs & a fully pumped up lifter do you need to add the amount of preload to the clearance or not,

Re: calculating pushrod length & piston to valve clearance [Re: mopardad] #741105
07/05/10 11:34 PM
07/05/10 11:34 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
To answer your question, no, you would not add the preload distance for piston to valve clearance. To do both proceedures properly, you really need an adjustable roller lifter to go along with your adjustable push rod - so you can adjust the cup depth to include the preload distance. Then adjust the pushrod length to get the proper scrub pattern accross the valve stem. IMO, the most important thing is rocker to valve stem scrub pattern. Secondary is preload - as long as you are in the range of the lifters plunger travel.

Fastest 300
Re: calculating pushrod length & piston to valve clearance [Re: Crizila] #741106
07/06/10 02:39 AM
07/06/10 02:39 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

To answer your question, no, you would not add the preload distance for piston to valve clearance. To do both proceedures properly, you really need an adjustable roller lifter to go along with your adjustable push rod - so you can adjust the cup depth to include the preload distance. Then adjust the pushrod length to get the proper scrub pattern accross the valve stem. IMO, the most important thing is rocker to valve stem scrub pattern. Secondary is preload - as long as you are in the range of the lifters plunger travel.

he's pretty limited on the scrub pattern with stock rockers, especially considering how they mount to the head.
i would include the preload in the overall measurement for piston to valve on that particular engine if it'll see higher than stock rpm.

Re: calculating pushrod length & piston to valve clearance #741107
07/06/10 10:00 AM
07/06/10 10:00 AM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

he's pretty limited on the scrub pattern with stock rockers, especially considering how they mount to the head.
i would include the preload in the overall measurement for piston to valve on that particular engine if it'll see higher than stock rpm.

Why would you want to include preload - unless you are concerned about valve float? I assumed he went with valve springs that were applicable to the cam. It would be a safer way to go I suppose.

Fastest 300
Re: calculating pushrod length & piston to valve clearance [Re: Crizila] #741108
07/06/10 10:09 AM
07/06/10 10:09 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why would you want to include preload - unless you are concerned about valve float? I assumed he went with valve springs that were applicable to the cam. It would be a safer way to go I suppose.

because factory lifters in that engine can pump up at high rpm.

Re: calculating pushrod length & piston to valve clearance #741109
07/06/10 01:30 PM
07/06/10 01:30 PM
Manheim PA.
M
mopardad Offline OP
pro stock
mopardad  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Manheim PA.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

and that is exactly why I asked this question, I assume you need to allow p-v clearance for a pumped up lifter

Re: calculating pushrod length & piston to valve clearance [Re: mopardad] #741110
07/06/10 02:43 PM
07/06/10 02:43 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

and that is exactly why I asked this question, I assume you need to allow p-v clearance for a pumped up lifter

Is that just applicable to that engine/valve train combo and is that preload clearance on top of the standard .080" in. - .100" ex. minumum clearance that is normally used for steel rod engines?

Fastest 300
Re: calculating pushrod length & piston to valve clearance [Re: Crizila] #741111
07/06/10 03:24 PM
07/06/10 03:24 PM
Manheim PA.
M
mopardad Offline OP
pro stock
mopardad  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Manheim PA.
I'm assuming that I need to allow the lifter preload in addition to the normal p-v clearance, or in this case the correct length pushrod (zero lash plus preload) against a fully pumped up lifter

Re: calculating pushrod length & piston to valve clearance [Re: mopardad] #741112
07/06/10 06:11 PM
07/06/10 06:11 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

I'm assuming that I need to allow the lifter preload in addition to the normal p-v clearance, or in this case the correct length pushrod (zero lash plus preload) against a fully pumped up lifter

I know little about the 5.7 ( although I own one in a Jeep ), but I run a large flat tappet Hyd cam ( over .6" lift ) in a SB. With my set up, I had to cut the existing notches in my pistons deeper to get adequate ( over what I previously mentioned ) pv clearance. Although I do have adjustable rockers,I still have to run some preload ( usually run +1/4 turn ). Just curious as to what preload is recommended in the 5.7 and what pv clearance you are shooting for? Also, did you make a cam change without any other valve train component changes - lifter, springs, etc.?

Fastest 300
Re: calculating pushrod length & piston to valve clearance [Re: Crizila] #741113
07/06/10 06:27 PM
07/06/10 06:27 PM
Manheim PA.
M
mopardad Offline OP
pro stock
mopardad  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Manheim PA.
Quote:

Quote:

I know little about the 5.7 ( although I own one in a Jeep ), but I run a large flat tappet Hyd cam ( over .6" lift ) in a SB. With my set up, I had to cut the existing notches in my pistons deeper to get adequate ( over what I previously mentioned ) pv clearance. Although I do have adjustable rockers,I still have to run some preload ( usually run +1/4 turn ). Just curious as to what preload is recommended in the 5.7 and what pv clearance you are shooting for? Also, did you make a cam change without any other valve train component changes - lifter, springs, etc.?

putting the 09 5.7 Eagle heads on a 06 shortblock, the stock Eagle springs are supposed to handle the Cam which is a Comp 269H-11, the lifters are new 09 Eagle MDS recommended p-v clearance is .080 in .100 exh, recommended lifter preload is .050-.075