11/26/03 04:51 PM
11/26/03 04:51 PM
Kingsburg Calif.
Quikshft Offline
master
Quikshft  Offline
master

Kingsburg Calif.
quote "We were asked to supply camshafts for an engine build-up for this contest by an internet chat room. The chance of ...."

Hey, we're a chat room?

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: RobR] #7338
11/26/03 05:05 PM
11/26/03 05:05 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

71sat...I always check the lifter bores...hone and fit each lifter..(most guys who know there stuff will at least run a ball hone through the bores..it's a piece of mind thing)
but I'm big on lifter indexing anyway

ouch ....

rob , dan degreed in a couple of lobes on each bank and the numbers looked good , the problem wasn't that the lifters didn't fit in the bore ...

it was a learning experience for us all .

to those that want to contribute , thank you for the offer . as before , i wouldn't want to be accused of soliciting others to fund an engine for my personal use , i do appreciate the offers though .

i have also decided to do the needed cage work to my dart and if brians not in a hurry i plan to driop the engine in it in the spring and see how it runs , as long as brian ain't in a hurry for the heads ...

i've also got some hughes scrap iron for sale cheap ...

running up my post count some more .
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Quikshft] #7339
11/26/03 05:21 PM
11/26/03 05:21 PM
Upper Midwest
Black_Sheep Offline
master
Black_Sheep  Offline
master

Upper Midwest
Tom me, the term chat room implies a bunch of screenagers hurling insults and bragging about their mythical 10 second ricers

How is the Hughes lifter bore broaching tool used? It appears to me to be a simple GO/NO-GO gauge...

'69 Plymouth GTX
See you on the street...
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Black_Sheep] #7340
11/26/03 05:26 PM
11/26/03 05:26 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Tom me, the term chat room implies a bunch of screenagers hurling insults and bragging about their mythical 10 second ricers

How is the Hughes lifter bore broaching tool used? It appears to me to be a simple GO/NO-GO gauge...

exactly on the chat room thing ...

the broach is a tool that is put on a slide hammer and pounded thru the bores for lack of a better way of doing it ?

i'm sure its a std tool that can be gotten elsewhere , i'll be finding a or the source ...

it also acts as a go/no go guage , it should never fall thru a lifter bore unless the bores are oversized from the factory ... the oversize lifters are no longer available so if you have one of these blocks , bushing the bores is the only thing you can do to it make it usuable .

running up my post count some more .
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: JohnRR] #7341
11/26/03 06:22 PM
11/26/03 06:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Whew!

I can't believe I read the whole thing!
Unbelievable.....

JohnRR, thanks.....I was trying to remember Layson's.........this topic reminded me too of that other occasion where a business owner got a good taste of his feet by putting one in his mouth.

Take care all,
FishNamateur

Last edited by FishNmoparZ; 11/27/03 02:22 PM.
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas #7342
11/26/03 06:36 PM
11/26/03 06:36 PM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
Layson's ?? i didn't see that one.. was it basically the same problem???

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: BradH] #7343
11/26/03 06:43 PM
11/26/03 06:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

does anyone know this guy?

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: JohnRR] #7344
11/26/03 07:14 PM
11/26/03 07:14 PM
Upper Midwest
Black_Sheep Offline
master
Black_Sheep  Offline
master

Upper Midwest
Quote:

the broach is a tool that is put on a slide hammer and pounded thru the bores for lack of a better way of doing it ?

Guess I should have phrased my question a little differently. If lifter bore dimensions are critical to a thousandth of an inch, how many times can you pound the broaching tool through a lifter bore before the tool diameter is no longer in spec?

How do "professionals" deal with this problem?

'69 Plymouth GTX
See you on the street...
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: JohnRR] #7345
11/26/03 09:24 PM
11/26/03 09:24 PM
Renton Wa
T
topfueldart Offline
master
topfueldart  Offline
master
T

Renton Wa
Quote:

to those that want to contribute , thank you for the offer . as before , i wouldn't want to be accused of soliciting others to fund an engine for my personal use , i do appreciate the offers though .

I have to disagree John,the amount of money you put into that motor with a moparts nameplate deserves some reimbursement, it would be more like paying off the debt that the EM contest put the team into ... im all for helping out ... as long as a comp cam (or scott brown grind) goes in that motor ... how about we start placing bets on how much more HP the motor makes with a non hughes grind?

11.48 @ 120 with a 1.80 60' 318, stock 1.88 heads, stock 904, Pump Gas, 13 lbs of boost.

9.94 @ 134, 318 on pump gas, 14 lbs w/ Eddies, transbrake 727, 3600 lbs, 3.54 gear and 28's.
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters #7346
11/26/03 09:30 PM
11/26/03 09:30 PM
New Jersey
M
MoparMedley Offline
mopar
MoparMedley  Offline
mopar
M

New Jersey
does anyone know this guy?

Think I may have bought some engine parts from him.................... ONCE!!!

Last edited by 69_SM_Cuda; 11/26/03 10:44 PM.
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: topfueldart] #7347
11/26/03 09:47 PM
11/26/03 09:47 PM
Hudson Mass
67Mopar Offline
master
67Mopar  Offline
master

Hudson Mass
Quote:

I have to disagree John,the amount of money you put into that motor with a moparts nameplate deserves some reimbursement, it would be more like paying off the debt that the EM contest put the team into ... im all for helping out ... as long as a comp cam (or scott brown grind) goes in that motor ... how about we start placing bets on how much more HP the motor makes with a non hughes grind?

John would never tell you what he has in the motor, I been waiting for this reply for 2 days, he stuck he neck out, and his wallet !! and even though he would never really ask, he is out some serious bucks, with some funding Im sure he would rebuild and dyno the different set ups, this was a group project, even though he owns the motor. WE may have not won the EM challange, but with a little more ummph, we can post some good numbers, the fat lady has only begun to warm up. If anyone is interested in closure, then you can paypal me at dinofh1@comcast.net, and I will see that the money is used for its intended purpose.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: 67Mopar] #7348
11/26/03 11:15 PM
11/26/03 11:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

John would never tell you what he has in the motor, I been waiting for this reply for 2 days, he stuck he neck out, and his wallet !! and even though he would never really ask, he is out some serious bucks, with some funding Im sure he would rebuild and dyno the different set ups, this was a group project, even though he owns the motor. WE may have not won the EM challange, but with a little more ummph, we can post some good numbers, the fat lady has only begun to warm up. If anyone is interested in closure, then you can paypal me at dinofh1@comcast.net, and I will see that the money is used for its intended purpose.

i can tell you that i know for a fact that many thousands of dollars were spent from john's own pocket. there were some members that helped out with parts and donations and it was greatly appreciated by all involved. inspite of the help, it fell way way short of what was really needed. all of the team members donated their time and expertise and in most cases, even more than that. the power the engine made was right at the top of the list on our first competition pull during the preliminary round in michigan. the subsequent pulls fell off. of course, we did have that little snafu with the dyno itself during the second pull that sure didn't help our cause. that engine had great potential. i'd love to see it freshened up and have a chance to flog it a few more times, with a different cam of course.
monetary donations, if you so choose, should be made payable to john via check or M.Order. you can contact me via PM for more information, or john himself. please, no third party paypal accounts.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: BradH] #7349
11/26/03 11:17 PM
11/26/03 11:17 PM
Grimsby, Ontario
73Runner Offline
super gas
73Runner  Offline
super gas

Grimsby, Ontario
Speaks volumes about the Hughes logic, the customer is always wrong unless I say he's right. I suppose he actually wants people to buy his product after bashing them (low life amateurs) what do they (customers) know.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: 73Runner] #7350
11/26/03 11:28 PM
11/26/03 11:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Speaks volumes about the Hughes logic, the customer is always wrong unless I say he's right. I suppose he actually wants people to buy his product after bashing them (low life amateurs) what do they (customers) know.

They know to buy a 280H Comp cam (well at least I do)

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas #7351
11/26/03 11:39 PM
11/26/03 11:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

4050 views, or people that have seen the injustice, 215 replies with better than 98.5 % in favor of boycotting hughes products. i'd say his website sure has had an impact on people. perhaps not the intended result from his view though.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas #7352
11/26/03 11:44 PM
11/26/03 11:44 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Brian_wo Offline
master
Brian_wo  Offline
master

Omaha Nebraska
Quote:

4050 views, or people that have seen the injustice, 215 replies with better than 98.5 % in favor of boycotting hughes products. i'd say his website sure has had an impact on people. perhaps not the intended result from his view though.

How many of those views are by people like me who come back and look everytime there is a new reply?
bet I have looked 25 times myself.

who is that guy?
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Brian_wo] #7353
11/26/03 11:53 PM
11/26/03 11:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

well then, stop lookin' so damn much, LOL. i'm guessing it's got a lot to do with people coming back to read whats new. that's okay though. i know that a lot of folks only check in a few times a month. eventually the word will spread. if that guy had an ounce of brains, that article would be off his site by now. somehow i bet it's still there, shooting that theory down the drain.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Brian_wo] #7354
11/27/03 12:03 AM
11/27/03 12:03 AM
Petersburg, Va
D
Darrell Offline
top fuel
Darrell  Offline
top fuel
D

Petersburg, Va
Quote:

How many of those views are by people like me who come back and look everytime there is a new reply?
bet I have looked 25 times myself.

Bout 10 times myself. The thing that gets me is, WHY DID HE FEEL THE NEED TO POST WHAT HE DID ON HIS WEBSITE???????? Like I said earlier, this a slap in the face to the very, very, very talented engine building people here! There is no other Mopar site in the world with the talent that is here and that is why I have been here for 5 years running. I just hope that none of you talented people are affended by his BS remarks.
Hell, give me a out-dated MP cam anyday, as long as it is already broke in! They will wipe in a heartbeat, but I love them!

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas #7355
11/27/03 12:21 AM
11/27/03 12:21 AM
Alberta, Canada
K
ktbundy Offline
super gas
ktbundy  Offline
super gas
K

Alberta, Canada
I was away for a couple of days and just found this post about an hour and a half ago. I got caught up in it and had to read through the whole thing.
The one thing I have noticed is that the majority of the people that were involved(that I am aware of)with the EM project have been quite reserved in their responses. Most of their replies have not been slanderous in any way(which seems a bit surprising given the circumstances). I have had my questions answered by most of them before and always benefitted from their knowledge.
I do think that these comments will not only hurt Hughes from a Moparts standpoint, but many members here are involved with other boards and I think this will do much more damage. I have never bought parts from Hughes, but I value the opinions of people here too much and will also join them in boycotting Hughes.
JohnRR good luck with your motor, I would love to see it pull even bigger numbers.
Tom
P.S. Brian WO you must have a big grin from ear to ear reading these posts I have been around here for a few years and have read your previous posts about Hughes.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: BradH] #7356
11/27/03 03:03 AM
11/27/03 03:03 AM
Littleton, NC
K
KingMopar Offline
top fuel
KingMopar  Offline
top fuel
K

Littleton, NC
I have to agree, totally uncalled for. The way I see it-- mistakes, supplier quality issues, unforseen/missed tolerances, impossible deadlines,short finances, etc can and does happen to ANY business or personal/party entry into ANY type of contest...... To be a "fly" on his(Dave's) wall would probably be an eye opener ...as he probably has in the past, suffered some of these same difficulties--aka, poor quality control, improper or outta spec components leaving his premises, etc.....due to something he or his staff didn't catch-prior to the product leaving it's door. THOSE kind of things happen from time to time....and one learns from those mistakes. To finger-point gains you nothing and loses you everything. Really....since he posted what he posted, knowing full well who & how many would see said statement on his website......he probably doesn't care to have anyone's money from here anyway.....I quess business is that "good".

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16