Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline OP
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline OP
I Live Here
S

Florida
can some one skool me one this dist i have?

never did duel points

its a mallory double life distributor

YC-365-HP

how do you adjust the mech advanc?

how do you hook it up?

what is the round brass capacitor looking thing on the outside?

has one wire hook up that is not hooked to anything inside?????

the cap is a 2 piece with brass terms on the inside,looks like the solid core wire goes down in the lugs maybe

thanks in advance on the skoolin

Re: mallory duel point dist????? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #718690
06/07/10 11:31 PM
06/07/10 11:31 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I have two of them, they are not a electronic ditributor so they only work with a standard 12 volt coil with the appropriate ballast resitor. You need to set each set of points at .034 at max opening, rotate te distributor sahft to get the points open on the sharpest point on the cam in the distributor. All point type ignitions used a capacitor, yours should have a brass strap going to a insulated screw or bolt in the distribotors side that has a jumper wire inside the distributor going to both sets of points To make this distributor work you need to run a 16 gauge wire from the negative side of the coil to the capacitor. If you wanted to use a electronic ignition system Pertronic sells a conversion kit to make the old Mallory double life distributors convert to a magnetic pick up Take from a old timer, point ignitions are not near as good as a decent electriconic ignition is As far as the mechanical advance curve or total advance I have never treid to change one on any of the old Mallory ditribitors I've used

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: mallory duel point dist????? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #718691
06/07/10 11:40 PM
06/07/10 11:40 PM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
Been a few years but I ran one till about five years ago, got talked into the msd pro billet and 6al. Spent all that money and didn't even get a 1/2 tenth better time. Yes that is a condenser on the out side, the cap as you say is a 2 piece, the wire is pushed threw the top cap & rubber seal and is tightened down into the spikes in the lower cap. You can't use big wire with these caps. Mine was a dual point with a square lobe. The single post attached to the condenser should be attached to the points on the inside. Can't help you on the mech. adjustment. Never did any with it.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: mallory duel point dist????? [Re: Cab_Burge] #718692
06/07/10 11:43 PM
06/07/10 11:43 PM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
dont see how you can set the points..it has a square looking cover over the contacs so a feeler guage is not gonna go in there

what would the other wire hook up bolt be for

its hooked to nothing inside,the brass looking capacitor is hooked to both sets of contacs with a flat brass strip that has a rubber cover on it

how does the plug wire go into the top of the cap?

it had solid core wires at one time

just not sure how it hooks to the brass lugs in the cap

so pertronix make a points conversion for it??? that maybe the best thing I have heard yet about it..maybe

can you set the points with a dwell meter or some thing?

Re: mallory duel point dist????? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #718693
06/07/10 11:51 PM
06/07/10 11:51 PM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
On mine there was a thin plastic cover covering the points, simply lifts out. There should be a rubber seal 3/8 " -1/2" thick that fits into the top cap that holds the wires when compressed [ screwed down ] to the rower cap.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: mallory duel point dist????? [Re: rowin4] #718694
06/07/10 11:53 PM
06/07/10 11:53 PM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
yep its a square lobe for the points

yep some kinda rubber top part that i think made it a 2 piece cap

yes a thin cover over the points under the rotor button

yes the capacitor is hooked to both set of points

the advance may not adjust or need to be adjusted...I was guessing about it

what would the other bolt/wire hook up be for??

Last edited by scratchnfotraction; 06/08/10 12:11 AM.
Re: mallory duel point dist????? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #718695
06/08/10 02:44 AM
06/08/10 02:44 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
the dust covers over the points slide up to take them off, mine are metal. The plastic cover over the points acts like a water barrier, maybe As far as using bigger spark plug wires I have reamed the top cap out to fit 8 MM wires into them, be careful and take your time, don't force it. The Pertronic conversion is to make that distributor work with electronic ignitions like the MSD 6AL and so on, not to replace the dual points with some other points One of the local racers bought and installed the Pertronic electronic conversion kit in his Mallory like ours for his 440 powered race Duster 8 or 10 yrs ago and it has been trouble free every since I would sell it,( the mallory double life) if you can, and use that money(probally have to come up with some more ) to go towards buying a current kit like a Mopar ignition kit complete with the ECU and distributor

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)