11/30/03 03:07 PM
11/30/03 03:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don1, instead of taking it personally, take a step back and take a good, long look at how Mr. Hughes presents himself and then take a good, long look at what an overwhelming number of folks on here have said about their own dealings with the charming Mr. Hughes. It's clear to see that there's no room for people like Mr. Hughes in this business.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas #7398
11/30/03 05:56 PM
11/30/03 05:56 PM
Massillon, Ohio
C
cudatom Offline
super stock
cudatom  Offline
super stock
C

Massillon, Ohio
Bought a cam from Hughes and have been very pleased. Mr Hughes was also very helpful when I selected my cam.However, it appears that I may have been the one lucky soul to reach him on a good day. After reading his comments I will be ordering either from Comp or Scott Brown when I put a new cam in this winter. I don't need the potential problems or aggravation from him if I have a problem w/his product. I think his comments were out of line and childish. He lost a custonmer here.

546395-cuda.jpg (113 downloads)

Ok
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: MoparforLife] #7399
11/30/03 06:01 PM
11/30/03 06:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don 1, there's no reason to delete your post. your entitiled to your opinion. obviously many others see it differently, but that's okay. freedon of speech is just one of the many things that makes this country great.
absolutely no one has slandered hughes, or his products. the sharing of opinions falls far short of that.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters #7400
11/30/03 09:51 PM
11/30/03 09:51 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

OK, I spoke with Chuck from Best Machine today who advised me that on page #3 of the "dyno testing" topic in the Enginemasters forum, it DID talk about the possibility of a soft cam.

Specifically, "Streetwise" suggests that the cam may be soft and that Hughes may have some QC issues. Knowing the professional abilities of all involved, after (2) cams go, I can easily see how Bobby and some others (myself included) would start to feel that its an issue with the cam since these are brand new designs and suppossedly a new supplier grinds them. HOWEVER, if you read on just a few posts, you see that Jesse checks the block and finds the lifter bores to be off spec. and how JohnRR even states that Hughes had advised to check the bores.

JohnRR takes responsibility for not asking DRAM to check this so I just cant see the reason for Hughes to do what he did.. Clearly a missed opportunity to be a "hero", and instead, a "zero"..

this explains why i didn't find it the first time dave brought it up ??? it was in the hidden from view forum ??? oh well had he called me and made mention of it i probably would have edited that sentence out ... now it stays for all eternity ...

running up my post count some more .
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: cudatom] #7401
11/30/03 11:01 PM
11/30/03 11:01 PM
Summit, NJ
W
whiplash Offline
master
whiplash  Offline
master
W

Summit, NJ
Quote:

Bought a cam from Hughes and have been very pleased. Mr Hughes was also very helpful when I selected my cam.However, it appears that I may have been the one lucky soul to reach him on a good day.

Been, reading this post, very very interesting. I have had nothing but good things to say about my personal dealings with Dave Hughes. Yes, I've flattened one of his cams, yes he did not give me a new one, yes he sent me one for "cost", yes he spent at least 3 hours on the phone in subsequent calls, yes he is currently helping me figure out why I am eating valve spring shims. I can see why people think he has a holier than thou attitude, But I feel he may have some experience I don't and was interested in learning. The two conversations I've had regarding failures or "issues" he started by, IMO, laying ground rules suggesting nothing that happende was his fault. I then replyied by saying I could care less who's fault it is I just want to fix it and learn from it. After that all gaurds were put down, and the discussions began.

Is that a way to do business? Should he have said what he did? I work in corporate America. I would get fired so fast for doing/saying what was said, no I wouldn't run my business that way. But I do have to say Hughes has some interesting grinds, and at the time, comp hadn't the offering that they do today.

I'm not saying give the guy a chance, just stating the fat that I had my dealings and I think that If I went with comp or lunati or whoever, and roasted a cam I'd be in the same boat. Maybe I give people the benefit of the doubt too much.

Has anyone called him as a "customer" and asked about the story behind the rant on his web page? It would be interesting to hear what he has to say, as long as the person who calls woudl be willing to not get outwardly offended right away, I think maybe he might realize what he did was unproffessional. I'm surprised he hasn't removed it yet....

• 67 coronet 4dr, 383/727/GVOD, blown, EFI, daily driver
  • 230/238, 114°LSA cam, 1.6 rollers, 9:1 comp, 8 psi boost
  • NEW BEST ET - 12.40@110mph...
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: whiplash] #7402
11/30/03 11:31 PM
11/30/03 11:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Has anyone called him as a "customer" and asked about the story behind the rant on his web page? It would be interesting to hear what he has to say, as long as the person who calls woudl be willing to not get outwardly offended right away, I think maybe he might realize what he did was unproffessional. I'm surprised he hasn't removed it yet....

i'm guessing you would be a perfect candidate for that. are you up to it?

Last edited by JohnRR; 12/01/03 01:51 PM.
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: JohnRR] #7403
11/30/03 11:32 PM
11/30/03 11:32 PM
SE Nunya
Bubba Offline
master
Bubba  Offline
master

SE Nunya
Quote:

Quote:

OK, I spoke with Chuck from Best Machine today who advised me that on page #3 of the "dyno testing" topic in the Enginemasters forum, it DID talk about the possibility of a soft cam.

Specifically, "Streetwise" suggests that the cam may be soft and that Hughes may have some QC issues. Knowing the professional abilities of all involved, after (2) cams go, I can easily see how Bobby and some others (myself included) would start to feel that its an issue with the cam since these are brand new designs and suppossedly a new supplier grinds them. HOWEVER, if you read on just a few posts, you see that Jesse checks the block and finds the lifter bores to be off spec. and how JohnRR even states that Hughes had advised to check the bores.

JohnRR takes responsibility for not asking DRAM to check this so I just cant see the reason for Hughes to do what he did.. Clearly a missed opportunity to be a "hero", and instead, a "zero"..

this explains why i didn't find it the first time dave brought it up ??? it was in the hidden from view forum ??? oh well had he called me and made mention of it i probably would have edited that sentence out ... now it stays for all eternity ...

John,
The sentence was not in the hidden forum. It was there for all to see.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas #7404
12/01/03 12:35 AM
12/01/03 12:35 AM
Summit, NJ
W
whiplash Offline
master
whiplash  Offline
master
W

Summit, NJ
Quote:

i'm guessing you would be a perfect candidate for that. are you up to it?

You know, as I was typing it, I KNEW I was going to be asked that question. As I stated before, I have no problem with Dave, never did. Would like to know what was going on in his head at the time. Maybe I will, just don't keep asking me if I did or not, I kinda feel like I'd be tricking him or something, not the most ethical thing to do....

• 67 coronet 4dr, 383/727/GVOD, blown, EFI, daily driver
  • 230/238, 114°LSA cam, 1.6 rollers, 9:1 comp, 8 psi boost
  • NEW BEST ET - 12.40@110mph...
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: whiplash] #7405
12/01/03 02:04 AM
12/01/03 02:04 AM
Melbourne , Australia
LA360 Offline
master
LA360  Offline
master

Melbourne , Australia
Hi, I only just stumbled onto this thread, it was closed when I saw it last. To be honest, I am a little disappointed with what Dave Hughes has said, and I don't feel that was very professional of him. I don't think too highly of those who have to degrade other people for their benefit. For those of you who don't know, I was also a part of the EMC team, but purely on an advisory role due to my geographical location. I was also one of those to suggest the possibilty of the cam being soft. The reason being, it was a very new and aggressive grind, and we were working through a process of elimination. I was one of the people behind wanting the block to have it's lifter bores bushed. As it turned out, this was needed to correct the problem, and the guys moved heaven and earth to get the job done. Whne the cams failed, there was no finger pointing, no one said, these cams are crap, or you should have done this, etc etc. It was a learning experience for everyone, and you cannot move forward without pushing the limits. I am just glad that I was able to be a part of the whole EMC deal. I actually pm'ed John a week or so ago about the EMC engine, and I am glad to hear that he is going to put it back together. I want to take this oportunity to thank all the guys who worked hard at the EMC deal, and I don't believe they deserve to be talked about in any such manner. Dave Hughes, you should have a long hard think about what you say in future.
Thanks,
AL...

Alan Jones
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: whiplash] #7406
12/01/03 02:08 AM
12/01/03 02:08 AM
Land of the Brave, Home of the...
63CandyMatic Offline
pro stock
63CandyMatic  Offline
pro stock

Land of the Brave, Home of the...
I have sat on this for a few days.

I figured I'd apprise Dave on the situation when I saw it developing, here's the e-mail I sent on 11-26 at 8:08 am.

"You sure are alienating a lot of potential customers.

For the sake of your business, why haven't you pulled the EM statement off your website?

Moparts, like it or not, is a huge influencer in this business.

Good luck."

Here's the reply:

Scott, DO you think pulling it would make a difference?

time: 11-26 at 9:11

my reply: on 11-26 at 11:27 am:

"I think I would. For the sake of future business, "I" would pull it, and
write a small formal statement, apologizing to anyone who was offended."

I don't know Dave. I just was thinking of his employees and the current economy.

I appreciate that he's one of the few that seems somewhat dedicated to the MOPAR biz, and he's got mouths to feed.

He never replied or or pulled this comment off his website.

He continues to hold his ground.

Good luck Dave, hello Scott Brown.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: Bubba] #7407
12/01/03 02:13 AM
12/01/03 02:13 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bubba wrote.. "John,
The sentence was not in the hidden forum. It was there for all to see"

Not at first Bubba.. That post was in the secret forum until all of the threads were put together/edited and put out for everyone to see/read afterwards..

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters #7408
12/01/03 07:49 AM
12/01/03 07:49 AM
SE Nunya
Bubba Offline
master
Bubba  Offline
master

SE Nunya
ahhhh, I see .

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: 63CandyMatic] #7409
12/01/03 10:57 AM
12/01/03 10:57 AM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
well...IMO, CandyMatics post more or less says it all.
Dave doesnt feel that what he did or said was in any way the improper way to handle his unhappiness about how the EM thing went down.

i went and re-read the whole thread where we were having the first problems with the cams.
yes, some questions were being raised about whether or not the cams might have been a contributing factor to the failures.
i think its only natural for this to be explored as a possibility when you have a cam go bad.

all you have to do is read through the whole process of what happened to correct it, and you will see that all the problems with the cam failures were attributed to the improper lifter bore alignment of the block.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: fast68plymouth] #7410
12/01/03 11:23 AM
12/01/03 11:23 AM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Quote:

The problem stems from the fact that these testers are not professionals. These amateur, although well-intentioned individuals are always challenged, financially, time wise, equipment wise, and experience wise. In other words their "wise" is always a negative. Not only that, but this in not the way they make their living and therefore the have no incentive to see the project thru when the going gets tough and problems arise. And they will and they can and will be frustrating and-the big one here, EXPENSIVE. Yea baby, money and you can't budget enough for it. Been there, done that, and we'll do it again, the road to success is paved with failure, broken parts and empty check books.

When reality bites and it does, they try to cut corners and do it on the cheap. Like duh, if it was cheap everyone could and would do it. We calculated that for our shop to seriously compete in the first Challenge could cost upwards of $25,000.00 in lost time in the shop, machine work, parts, dyno and testing time and travel expenses. Many entrants do not figure their own time and think the cost is much less than it really is.

i was re-reading this part of his statement...and i think im going to go through it line by line.

"The problem stems from the fact that these testers are not professionals. "
thats not entirely true...at least two of the Moparts EM team make their livings working on HP/racing engines and/or parts.

"These amateur, although well-intentioned individuals are always challenged, financially, time wise, equipment wise, and experience wise. "
i would say the collective resources of our team were funded as well as at least half the other entries.
all the EM entries had the same amount of time to prepare and test.
the collective list of equipment used by the EM team im sure is more impressive than what Mr. Huges has in his shop, and i'd wager to say the collective experience of the team had greater depth than what Mr. Hughes could offer.

"Not only that, but this in not the way they make their living and therefore the have no incentive to see the project thru when the going gets tough and problems arise. "
uuuummm....yeah....that $100,000 prize had nothing to do with us wanting to enter. theres obviously NO incentive in that.

"And they will and they can and will be frustrating and-the big one here, EXPENSIVE. Yea baby, money and you can't budget enough for it. Been there, done that, and we'll do it again, the road to success is paved with failure, broken parts and empty check books."

read that last sentence.
soooo, failure and broken parts. he's been there, and done that.
i guess he's the only one who's allowed to make a mistake, and learn from the experience?

"When reality bites and it does, they try to cut corners and do it on the cheap. Like duh, if it was cheap everyone could and would do it. We calculated that for our shop to seriously compete in the first Challenge could cost upwards of $25,000.00 in lost time in the shop, machine work, parts, dyno and testing time and travel expenses. "

i cant think of too many individuals who would enter a contest like this with a blank check, money is no object attitude.
we didnt cut any real corners on the EM motor. the reasoning behind the decision to not bush the lifter bores in the beginning wasnt for cost reasons, but rather because the majority of the team felt it wasnt necessary.
as it turned out, that was a poor decision.

"$25,000.00 in lost time in the shop, machine work, parts, dyno and testing time and travel expenses"
its interesting that he assumes when you consider all those things that we didnt spend the equivilent of $25,000 to field our entry.
i know the intake alone had about 40hrs of labor in it. thats 40hrs that MD could have spent making money in his shop doing something else.
same goes for Dan, or Ryan, Jesse, or myself.

the point is...that entire statement has no credibility, and isnt based on any facts at all.

his ramblings are simply his way of saying, coulda, shoulda, woulda.....but in the end......he didnt.
had he fielded his own entry, kicked our butts, and took home the 100G's, id be able to swallow his rant a little easier.
until you show me you can do better....youre just talking out of your a$$.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: fast68plymouth] #7411
12/01/03 11:43 AM
12/01/03 11:43 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm an equitable person, so I'll write this little diddy for Mr. Hughes to cut/paste as it is much more accurate, and would be far less offensive..

"Recently, we at ****** Engines had an opportunity to provide camshafts for the internet Mopar source Moparts.com. A couple dozen of these folks at Moparts.com decided to pool resources whether it be money, parts, technical know-how or services, and compete in a very competitive contest called the Enginemasters Competition that was founded and sponsored by Popular HotRodding magazine.

Initially, the EM470 engine experienced some problems that were traced back to a lifter bore missalignment that can be a common issue in the block that this engine was based on. Conversations took place regarding checking this issue beforehand, and we have a lifter bore checking fixture that could have brought this issue to the surface before the team experienced issues, and likely would have saved the team two camshafts. Because of the dynamic way this engine was coming together, the team took their chances and an expensive, timely lesson was learned.

Ultimately, the issue of lifter bore alignment was addressed, and although a bit short on dyno and testing time, the Moparts EM entry made it to Michigan with the new ****** grind cam, the most aggressive flat tappet cams available to the Mopar industry.

Dyno numbers, specifically torque, were among the tops of the 12 engines tested at the facility. After the initial dyno pull, numbers of the ****** cam equipped EM470 would have placed this engine in the #2 spot of the 4 entries to qualify for the finals in Los Angelas. On the final day, the Moparts entry was quaranteened to make the trip to Los Angelas. The final engine tested on Friday bumped the entry out of contention. All this with an A/F ratio of 14.14:1 and a technical difficulty on the Dynomometer. With borrowed parts, over a dozen people with their hands in the engine, and team members travelling across the country to make this project possible, this engine proved its prowess and opened the eyes of many Professional engine builders at the dynomometer that day.

We at ****** Engines received alot of feedback regarding this build-up, and this pump gas engine producing over 650hp and 650ft. lbs of torque can be replicated with the new Bulldog cylinder heads and same ******* camshaft for a very attractive price.

Oh to see that EM470 back on the dyno and a bit more tuning that just wasn't possible due to the difficult dynamics of assembling an engine over the internet!

A true win-win situation for ****** Engines and Moparts.com. Mention the Moparts.com EM470 entry with your next purchase and receive 10% off of the industrys fastest/most powerful camshafts!"

How's that??

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas #7412
12/01/03 12:53 PM
12/01/03 12:53 PM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Offline
I Live Here
calmopar  Offline
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.
Pearls before swine.

Trying to enjoy life!
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas #7413
12/01/03 02:01 PM
12/01/03 02:01 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
beatuiful gary , unfortunately i doubt dave will bite as it doesn't make us look stupid enough on the grand scale ...

running up my post count some more .
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: JohnRR] #7414
12/01/03 02:31 PM
12/01/03 02:31 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
c'mon Gary....that doesnt offend anyone...what good is that?

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: fast68plymouth] #7415
12/01/03 03:05 PM
12/01/03 03:05 PM
Upper Midwest
Black_Sheep Offline
master
Black_Sheep  Offline
master

Upper Midwest
That's a welll worded response Gary, too bad it will only be seen by folks viewing this thread. I wonder about the Bulldog heads though, would they have been legal for the EM competition?

'69 Plymouth GTX
See you on the street...
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Black_Sheep] #7416
12/01/03 03:21 PM
12/01/03 03:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Gary, that was awesomely written and DEFINITELY the approach Mr. Hughes should have took.

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16