06/13/08 12:36 PM
06/13/08 12:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

here is a pic of the light textured argent after aging, you can see the shade of gray it ages to

Re: Shaker Bubble Color? #71138
06/13/08 12:42 PM
06/13/08 12:42 PM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Is that an original or one you painted? So what you're saying is, over time, light argent darkens? That's interesting since the bubble on my one owner 3k mile 100% survivor shaker cuda looks darker like the one Scott shows and this car hadn't seen the light of day since 1972. Fact is my grille must had darkened at the exact same rate since it matches the bubble exactly.

It is an original shaker off a 15K original car that i sprayed back in 1986 when i first found the 100% original NOS factory packed original formula. If your grille and shaker match and its a 70 car highly unlikely the grille and bezels match the shaker color!

post a pic Mike, cause something is wrong with that sceneraio as stated.

Grille and shaker colors are not the same. Dark-Dk/med Textured Argent and Light Textured argent are night and day Different.

If your grille matches that NOS bonnett Scott posted, your grille is WRONG!

Mike

Mike,

I've known this car for thirty years and it hasn't let the original owners garage since 1972 until it came to mine. It's a whole lot more likely that a 15k mile car had it's bubble painted than an absolutely untouched original with 3,900 miles one. Is it possible that you are right? Sure it is. Is it possible that my bubble is original? I'll bet on it. The problem is anyone that thinks they know the absolute when it comes to mopars is either naive or very foolish.

Mike
I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with anyone.

Re: Shaker Bubble Color? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #71139
06/13/08 12:48 PM
06/13/08 12:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

This is a series of pics of the bubble I described above. As I mentioned, it looked like the correct material, it looked old, and it looked original, but it differed enough to make me HIGHLY skeptical of it being a true NOS part.

Scott, A unique point about this shaker is: it has the exact same curvature on the passenger side of the scoop opening divider that all original shakers have (it's flawed when compared to the D/S of the divider which has a better line).

M

Re: Shaker Bubble Color? [Re: ECS] #71140
06/13/08 12:57 PM
06/13/08 12:57 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

Keep in mind that there is nothing that cannot be made today especially if you have the original tooling. There is probably a better chance that things can be duplicated easier in the year 2008 than back in 1970.

Yes Dave, technology has come a long way for sure, and having the original tooling would be the easiest way to get the part shape dead on, but the raw materials used 40 years ago are nothing like what's used today (todays are far superior in most ways) which is why getting a dead on match to the original material would be so difficult. Impossible no, but VERY challenging in this case. The other factor is run size. Just the set up to run that tool in the appropriate size molding machine would cost a ton, then running a short run (say for 1,000 or so parts) would be very expensive, and that's if you could get a custom injection molder to interupt normal production in order to set up the bubble tool for such a short run (some tools run for weeks or months, even years on end without being pulled from machines) anyway, I'm sure you get the picture. Not saying it would be impossible, just costly and very challenging to say the least.

Re: Shaker Bubble Color? #71141
06/13/08 01:00 PM
06/13/08 01:00 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

Scott, A unique point about this shaker is: it has the exact same curvature on the passenger side of the scoop opening divider that all original shakers have (it's flawed when compared to the D/S of the divider which has a better line).

M

I agree Mike, and that's why I commented that it MIGHT be an original production line "NOS" unit that was a reject or something, the molded shape is very accurate.

Re: Shaker Bubble Color? #71142
06/13/08 01:04 PM
06/13/08 01:04 PM
Ontario, Canada
mccannix Offline
master
mccannix  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada
As stated the dividers are flawed on originals as well as the one Scott had, but I have seen that on many of the repros also, since usually an original was used to pull a mold for any repros out there.
As for the tooling, I was told it was sent for scrap in 1982.
I visited Fram enough times from 1982-83 to believe this to be true.
I was even given the name of the salvage company in London, Ontario that received the molds.
After writing Chrylser in 1982 about saving it, I was sent a response on official letterhead, pretty blue/white stationary which I still have, stating they were not interested in the old car hobby at this time and invited me to try their new K-car.

Re: Shaker Bubble Color? [Re: HEMICUDA] #71143
06/13/08 01:11 PM
06/13/08 01:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Mike,

I've known this car for thirty years and it hasn't let the original owners garage since 1972 until it came to mine. It's a whole lot more likely that a 15k mile car had it's bubble painted than an absolutely untouched original with 3,900 miles one. Is it possible that you are right? Sure it is. Is it possible that my bubble is original? I'll bet on it. The problem is anyone that thinks they know the absolute when it comes to mopars is either naive or very foolish.

Mike

Mike, Thats fine, I dont know all there is to know about it, but i know enough about it that when i see it i can tell what's what.

I also am not interested in a pissing match. On the contrary, it is simply for documention and confirmation of that which you are stating..

when that 15k bonnet was restored, it had never been touched, and had been faded and feather down to bare bonnet, showing all 3 orignal layers of primer sealer and paint (red gray argent) as they all do.

Just a note: If you take another look at the pic of the NOS one Scott posted it appears you can see some of under colors bleeding thru.. now look at the pic of the grande coupe i posted see how it's bleeding thru too.

so all I am asking is to see a picture of the 3900 mile grille and shaker colors for documentaion/confirmation.

but on the "pissing" match side of it (if that's is what you want to call it), i will ask you this: since you sprayed your repro cuda griles with what appeared to be a correct shade and texture of argent and your 3900k mile grille is not closer to those in shade then it comes back to my questioning it being wrong.

If it is going to come to down it being believed that just because you say it is what it is, and we as collective (ie the readers) are to take it to be gospel simply because of who you are in the market VS who i am in the market then pictures will reveal that about who thinks they knows what about what.

its no different than when DW (ECS) debunks the "guru" mentality thought to be gospel elsewhere...

there will be controversy...

M

Re: Shaker Bubble Color? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #71144
06/13/08 01:21 PM
06/13/08 01:21 PM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL
Quote:

Scott the part numbers are very crisp and look original in your
photo, your right you should have held onto it. I bought one 3 years ago at the nationals
that was suppose to be made from the original mold and the guy is from canada. The part numbers and penastar on the one I bought were not as crisp but were very readiable and clear to make out.
I'll look at it again when I get home but I believe it was made of a light grey material.
I also have a repo from Gene Gregory and the 2 parts in many ways are totally different.
I do know where Gene has his done and it's not canada. What is the weight of original ? I can
get a weight on repop Gregory and repop canada.

Logan426

Last edited by Logan426; 06/13/08 01:46 PM.
Re: Shaker Bubble Color? [Re: MLR426] #71145
06/13/08 01:25 PM
06/13/08 01:25 PM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida

Tav

Re: Shaker Bubble Color? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #71146
06/13/08 01:33 PM
06/13/08 01:33 PM
New Mexico
UCUDANT Offline
Troll Hunter
UCUDANT  Offline
Troll Hunter

New Mexico
Quote:

This is a series of pics of the bubble I described above. As I mentioned, it looked like the correct material, it looked old, and it looked original, but it differed enough to make me HIGHLY skeptical of it being a true NOS part. I returned it to the seller with no problems, now I wish I would have kept it as an example of something odd if nothing else.

That looks like a good bubble, nothing weighs quite like the real deal.

Re: Shaker Bubble Color? [Re: UCUDANT] #71147
06/13/08 01:46 PM
06/13/08 01:46 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

That looks like a good bubble, nothing weighs quite like the real deal.

Define "Good"? Usable, yes, original? MAYBE.... But keep in mind, it was lighter than the original I had on hand, enough that you didn't have to weigh them to tell, just holding them, one in each hand, it was apparent.

Logan, all original bubbles I've ever seen were the color of the one I posted in series, a light "bone" color / slightly off white yellowish color. If you had a grey one, you had a reproduction.

Re: Shaker Bubble Color? [Re: mccannix] #71148
06/13/08 01:47 PM
06/13/08 01:47 PM
Long Island NY
ErikR Offline
pro stock
ErikR  Offline
pro stock

Long Island NY
Quote:

After writing Chrylser in 1982 about saving it, I was sent a response on official letterhead, pretty blue/white stationary which I still have, stating they were not interested in the old car hobby at this time and invited me to try their new K-car.

Obviously this is why some like me have such disdain for the company when they attempt to drag out the old nameplates, colors and decals. Remember even recently just prior to the Charger launch there were quotes attributed to T.Creed saying retro is dead. Yeah the new Challenger is cool, but not as much as the old iron. Rant off - sorry for the sidebar.

Re: Shaker Bubble Color? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #71149
06/13/08 01:51 PM
06/13/08 01:51 PM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL

Their is no doubt I know the one I bought was a
repo but it is of a much better quality than the
Gregory one in my opinion. I noted the color
because Dave mentioned the canadian maker and I
knew that was the one I bought.

Logan426

Re: Shaker Bubble Color? #71150
06/13/08 01:58 PM
06/13/08 01:58 PM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Mike,

Mike

Mike, Thats fine, I dont know all there is to know about it, but i know enough about it that when i see it i can tell what's what.

I also am not interested in a pissing match. On the contrary, it is simply for documention and confirmation of that which you are stating..

when that 15k bonnet was restored, it had never been touched, and had been faded and feather down to bare bonnet, showing all 3 orignal layers of primer sealer and paint (red gray argent) as they all do.

Just a note: If you take another look at the pic of the NOS one Scott posted it appears you can see some of under colors bleeding thru.. now look at the pic of the grande coupe i posted see how it's bleeding thru too.

so all I am asking is to see a picture of the 3900 mile grille and shaker colors for documentaion/confirmation.

but on the "pissing" match side of it (if that's is what you want to call it), i will ask you this: since you sprayed your repro cuda griles with what appeared to be a correct shade and texture of argent and your 3900k mile grille is not closer to those in shade then it comes back to my questioning it being wrong.

If it is going to come to down it being believed that just because you say it is what it is, and we as collective (ie the readers) are to take it to be gospel simply because of who you are in the market VS who i am in the market then pictures will reveal that about who thinks they knows what about what.

its no different than when DW (ECS) debunks the "guru" mentality thought to be gospel elsewhere...

M

Here you go Mike. So what do the experts say?

4486355-shakerbubble1.gif (353 downloads)
Re: Shaker Bubble Color? [Re: MLR426] #71151
06/13/08 01:59 PM
06/13/08 01:59 PM
New Mexico
UCUDANT Offline
Troll Hunter
UCUDANT  Offline
Troll Hunter

New Mexico
Good, as in looks like one I would use. Sometimes I wish I would have kept all that original Shaker stuff, except for maybe the hood.

Re: Shaker Bubble Color? [Re: UCUDANT] #71152
06/13/08 02:04 PM
06/13/08 02:04 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

except for maybe the hood.

Yea, you did alright on that thing trust me! Want it back

Re: Shaker Bubble Color? [Re: HEMICUDA] #71153
06/13/08 02:06 PM
06/13/08 02:06 PM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike,

Mike

M

Here you go Mike. So what do the experts say?

Red is way off on 440-6 ?? Just joking.

logan426

Re: Shaker Bubble Color? [Re: HEMICUDA] #71154
06/13/08 04:08 PM
06/13/08 04:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mike, that is light textured argent... and is in much better shape than the NOS shaker picture shows.

If you have 3900 mile original rallye center caps (those two colors (shaker and centers) should match in pigment and texture.. IE Light Textured Argent Silver), now compare them to the grille...

so how about one of the 3.9K grille, which is what my statement was about... you stating the grille and shaker matched?

However, they are 2 different pigments (night VS day), (silver VS charcol/gray)...

This is Dk/med Textured Argent (original formula BTW)

4486629-dkmedargsamp.jpg (269 downloads)
Re: Shaker Bubble Color? #71155
06/13/08 04:14 PM
06/13/08 04:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

this is NOS Light Textured Argent from a 35+ year year old factory pack can (looks just like your shaker).

4486639-lttexargsamp.jpg (321 downloads)
Re: Shaker Bubble Color? #71156
06/13/08 04:49 PM
06/13/08 04:49 PM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Quote:

Mike, that is light textured argent... and is in much better shape than the NOS shaker picture shows.

If you have 3900 mile original rallye center caps (those two colors (shaker and centers) should match in pigment and texture.. IE Light Textured Argent Silver), now compare them to the grille...

so how about one of the 3.9K grille, which is what my statement was about... you stating the grille and shaker matched?

However, they are 2 different pigments (night VS day), (silver VS charcol/gray)...

This is Dk/med Textured Argent (original formula BTW)

I wish I had the rallye wheels instead of the plain Jane 15" steel wheels, I think some guys call them the 450 wheel or something like that. At least all the original rubber looks showroom new.

Last edited by HEMICUDA; 06/13/08 04:58 PM.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8