05/16/10 08:58 PM
05/16/10 08:58 PM
Keymar, MD
DusterKid Offline OP
top fuel
DusterKid  Offline OP
top fuel

Keymar, MD
Putting together a 1974 Plymouth duster and I'm in need of side mirrors. Wanting mirrors that either look like are are factory, but I don't want to spend $100 + for mirrors. This isn't going to be a show car, but a decent 20 footer. Anyone know where I could find some?

Re: Side mirrors [Re: DusterKid] #700020
05/17/10 01:20 AM
05/17/10 01:20 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
There were several different styles of mirrors used on these cars. The most common was the non
remote, driver side only. The entire head swiveled. This was only available in a chrome finish. Next up was the remote , Driver side only. The backing of the housing was stationary while the inner mechanism was adjusted either by the 3 wire remote control or simply by pushing the face of the mirror. In my opinion, the MOST desireable was what some call the "Teardrop" style. They have a rounded housing with an inner mechanism in which the mirror is attached. I have only seen this style in pairs, not just driver side only. These "teardrop" mirrors were available in chrome finish, but may have been painted body color.
All of these mirrors have increased in value by a great amount. Your best bet is a swap meet, craigslist or an online auction. Chances are, any Mopar guy that has them knows what the market is for them.
I didn't want to pay the $250 LH and $275RH for the super desireable teardrop mirrors, so I modified a pair from a 76 Camaro. The 70-81 Camaro and Firebird used the same mirrors, and they look decent. I paid $35 for the pair at a self serve yard.