05/10/10 08:55 PM
05/10/10 08:55 PM
wentzville mo
1974PW Offline OP
mopar
1974PW  Offline OP
mopar

wentzville mo
what do you guys do about geting a title for the old hot rods you find in a barn with out a title. i bought a 49 dodge with no title. and who knows when it had one. but the truck needs to be fully restored and the title companys i found sound like they need it to be running and be able to inspect it.
i just cant see investing a bunch of time and money into a truck with no title and wondering if i will be able to drive it when im done.

Re: title question? [Re: 1974PW] #694466
05/10/10 09:25 PM
05/10/10 09:25 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
The procedure varies state to state. You could be in a huge mess or a manageable one.
Check the state's website for the straight info.

http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/titlerep.htm

http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/forms/108.pdf

Some have bonded titles. If you have access to the titled owner, they can often make things easier even if they lost the title. If you belong to AAA, ask them. Also ask any local registration services. They may try to scare some business out of you, or tell you it's easy and then have problems later. The state site is the real stuff. Problem is, it's written by lawyers and bureaucrats. It is a good idea to print out and submit all the forms from the site. They like to see all the stuff they deal with all day. Also try to have a good grasp of what you need and have it all or as much as possible. Make sure you don't start a paper trail you are unable to finish!

Only use a "title service" or buy a "historic document" as a real last resort. Most states are onto this little game of footsie, and it can bite you hard!

Always do this before you buy a car without a title (this is for everyone else reading, too late for you), it's often a great bargaining chip and you will know what hoops you face.

There is at least a thread a month over on the HAMB on this issue, and still people buy stuff without a title or any knowledge of how to get one. Know the laws and what you face before buying!

Last edited by RodStRace; 05/10/10 09:29 PM.
Re: title question? [Re: RodStRace] #694467
05/11/10 07:53 PM
05/11/10 07:53 PM
Austin, TX
lunacy Offline
mopar
lunacy  Offline
mopar

Austin, TX
Along a related subject. I have a title, but it has the engine number on it not the serial. I don't have the original engine. Is there any way to get this swapped over to the serial?