01/21/11 06:28 PM
01/21/11 06:28 PM
Roswell, GA - near Atlanta
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

I'm not interested in arguing the point. You seem to want to make this about you and how you are better than us. Maybe you are. I don't care.

My body guy has been doing this for 50 years and neither you nor anyone else can tell that the work was done when he's finished.

The only reason you know what was done is because we posted pics.

The car was hit hard on that side and repaired improperly. We had to do a whole lot that you couldn't see. And, the "NOS" piece didn't fit without us straightening out the car first.

The car is absolutely right now. We give a lifetime warranty on our work, do you? If your welds crack, I guess not.

Martin, GA Quality Auto Restoration with Fair FIXED Pricing. Fast-N-Dangerous@comcast.net
Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: cloneguy] #694203
01/22/11 12:17 PM
01/22/11 12:17 PM
S.I. N.Y.
1MYTGTX Offline
master
1MYTGTX  Offline
master

S.I. N.Y.
Beautiful job at an amazing price! To me, tear down & assembly is easy enough for the novice to do themselves.....you guys provide the "hard part" in the resto with great results

1MYTGTX
Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: DAYCLONA] #694204
01/22/11 12:33 PM
01/22/11 12:33 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
Quote:

The reason for the verticle butt weld and all butt welds the way we do them is simple. They leave the factory welds in place. When we are done, if we hadn't posted the photos here, it is not possible to tell that the work was ever done. It leaves the car looking like 100% original metal from the factory.

So Tim your saying you cut up a factory NOS vert panel to butt weld it to save the "factory" welds?,....there are plenty of techniques and equipment avaliable to "reproduce" a factory type weld, not "rocket science",....I feel you've lost some of the structual integrity of the car, esp a vert, by welding the qtr as you did, yeah, yeah you never had one break a weld,....but how about 2,5,10 years down the road?,...when/if it fractures? and starts looking like hell?,...I don't know about you, but when I finish a car, I don't want to revisit it again down the road to rebuild it again

Mike

there is a BIG HUGE differance
between body work and restoration work
and there is a REASON restoration work costs ALOT MORE

some can grasp it and some never will

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: flypaper] #694205
01/22/11 02:06 PM
01/22/11 02:06 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

Perhaps you can enlighten us?

Martin, GA Quality Auto Restoration with Fair FIXED Pricing. Fast-N-Dangerous@comcast.net
Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: cloneguy] #694206
01/22/11 02:13 PM
01/22/11 02:13 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
Quote:

Quote:

no need for me to...
you have done a very good job for us already

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: flypaper] #694207
01/22/11 02:24 PM
01/22/11 02:24 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

no need for me to...
you have done a very good job for us already

Your statement doesn't make any sense.

Please list your qualifications and explain yourself.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: cloneguy] #694208
01/22/11 02:52 PM
01/22/11 02:52 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
Is butt welding a quarter panel really that bad? Both my quarters were butt welded 22 years ago. And no signs of cracks yet on the welds. I do have a crack on the sides of the roof behind the side window so I know I'm torqueing the body. If the butt weld sucked, shouldn't it have cracked there?

Besides there are many many quarter skins installed this way. Shoot, quart skins used to be the only way to go when nos parts were $5000 a piece.

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: aarcuda] #694209
01/22/11 02:58 PM
01/22/11 02:58 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Thanks AARCUDA!

The fact is, the way we do is the best way. Butt welds are stronger than the metal around them. And, you have to be an experienced professional to do it this way without warping the metal.

What we have here are amatures trying to make themselves sound knowlegable and important.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: aarcuda] #694210
01/22/11 04:21 PM
01/22/11 04:21 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Is butt welding a quarter panel really that bad? Both my quarters were butt welded 22 years ago. And no signs of cracks yet on the welds. I do have a crack on the sides of the roof behind the side window so I know I'm torqueing the body. If the butt weld sucked, shouldn't it have cracked there?

Besides there are many many quarter skins installed this way. Shoot, quart skins used to be the only way to go when nos parts were $5000 a piece.

I would agree with you Steve, there are times a butt weld may be the only choice you have, and there is also a proper place for doing a butt weld so that it's not stressed, and prone to possible failure,...A few of my reproduction Daytona/SuperBird parts, mainly the larger sheetmetal parts have butt welds in order to create a 1 pc assembly making it look like a 1pc factory stamping,...but the location is chosen very carefully to avoid stress, and a MINIMAL joining/butting area is chosen also,....

Some people have no problem creating a "Frankenstein" of patches, welds, etc, or hacking up a full NOS skin to patch a car, then piling on the mud to sculp a car into shape,...you get what you pay for, or how much you paid for

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: DAYCLONA] #694211
01/22/11 04:31 PM
01/22/11 04:31 PM
JERSEY
RJS Offline
master
RJS  Offline
master

JERSEY
Your doing excellent work there Tim at very affordable pricing. I paid 3X's that for a roller 5 or so years ago. Ron

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: DAYCLONA] #694212
01/22/11 04:51 PM
01/22/11 04:51 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

Quote:

I would agree with you Steve, there are times a butt weld may be the only choice you have, and there is also a proper place for doing a butt weld so that it's not stressed, and prone to possible failure,...A few of my reproduction Daytona/SuperBird parts, mainly the larger sheetmetal parts have butt welds in order to create a 1 pc assembly making it look like a 1pc factory stamping,...but the location is chosen very carefully to avoid stress, and a MINIMAL joining/butting area is chosen also,....

Some people have no problem creating a "Frankenstein" of patches, welds, etc, or hacking up a full NOS skin to patch a car, then piling on the mud to sculp a car into shape,...you get what you pay for, or how much you paid for

You must be talking about the work you do because the photos we posted clearly indicate the highest quality of workmanship with minimal filler.

I don't know if you've noticed or not but you are the only one on here who doesn't see that we are doing fine work at great prices.

Aarcuda's butt welded quarters have been fine for 22 years and the one's we've done will be too.

Why don't you tell us more about the butt welds you've done that have cracked? Maybe we can help by telling you what you are doing wrong. Then maybe you can offer a lifetime warranty too. How long is your warranty? I couldn't find it on your website.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: RJS] #694213
01/22/11 04:52 PM
01/22/11 04:52 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

Your doing excellent work there Tim at very affordable pricing. I paid 3X's that for a roller 5 or so years ago. Ron

Thanks very much.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: 1MYTGTX] #694214
01/22/11 04:53 PM
01/22/11 04:53 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

Beautiful job at an amazing price! To me, tear down & assembly is easy enough for the novice to do themselves.....you guys provide the "hard part" in the resto with great results

Thank you!

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: ogopogo] #694215
01/22/11 05:12 PM
01/22/11 05:12 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

Its shocking to hear you got all that for 15K ! thats a 50K job and 2-3yrs in the shop around here .
As for weatherstripping,the metro supersoft I put on my 66 satellite doors is garbage,it is dimensionally larger than the original w/s and it rubs the striker when you close the door,I will be reinstalling the original w/s back on.

Thanks Ogo!

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: anlauto] #694216
01/22/11 05:14 PM
01/22/11 05:14 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

WoW...Ok...
The total cost to the customer was only $15K for both 1/4's, trunk floor, rad support, etc...ALL body work and final paint and polish???

The owner supplied the parts and paint/supplies ? correct? That had to be another $5K at least, or maybe $7500 ???

I would say that's a DARN GOOD price....not cheap, but not crazy expensive either...The finished product certainly reflects the money spent as well....

Good Job AMCR

Thanks alot Alan! I value your expert opinion greatly.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: cloneguy] #694217
01/22/11 05:26 PM
01/22/11 05:26 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

BTW, Where are your customer reviews? I haven't seen them yet.

Hmmmmm,...I guess you don't have time to read?,... being busy an all with that "redo" work you do after you install the "finished" assemblies

But in any case I think my restorations, and my customers cars, and reproduction parts speak for themselves seeing they made MCG's top ten Mopars list several years in a row, assorted Magazine covers, MCG, Mopar Action, HOTROD magazine, HMC Enthusiast, Hemmings, etc, etc, etc, plus numerous invitational events, as well numerous magazine articles, HOTROD television, consistent 1st place in class showings, as well as nominated and voted Muscle car of the year award by Hemmings Motor Magazine,....and thats just Mopars

I do Motorcycles,boats Trucks, Exotics, and he11 even a few airplane parts, from one part to ground up creations, total fabrications to paint, as well as machining custom engine parts and induction systems.....do you require a list of those as well

Clownguy, I had no intention of trashing your work, I merely asked a question as to why you chose to cut up that NOS panel as you did,...and as I stated in the thread (my opinion) I felt it was improper,...now if I was just a "hack" or "redneck" with no experience in fabrication/machining/welding/bodywork/painting/etc,...then you'd be justified in your response,....I do notice you lash out quickly at people's requests/inquiries,....remember you put yourself out on the internet, it's a public arena, your either a lion, or your fed to them

Mike

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: DAYCLONA] #694218
01/22/11 05:37 PM
01/22/11 05:37 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

You don't call that trashing our work?

I just offered to help you since you seem to have trouble with butt welding. You are the one going off on a tangent here.

And, this IS one of our customer reviews although you seem to want to make it about you. I guess that's why it says "Look at me! Look at me!" under your name.

I had actually hoped to get some parts from you for a badly burned superbird we are restoring later this year. But honestly, you seem to be a little unstable so, I guess I'll rethink that.

BTW, why don't you answer the question about your warranty? I've asked it twice now. Or does this make it three times?

Nevermind. I don't care about your warranty.

This posting is about Rich's car and I'm bored with your ramblings.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: cloneguy] #694219
01/22/11 06:02 PM
01/22/11 06:02 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

BTW, why don't you answer the question about your warranty? I've asked it twice now. Or does this make it three times?

Sorry 'bout that Tim,...I don't offer a warranty, I offer a guarantee(big difference) warranties are only offered by those who know it's only a matter of time that's "ticking away" on their craftsmanship before the customer is a "knockin" on or down their door

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: DAYCLONA] #694220
01/22/11 07:30 PM
01/22/11 07:30 PM
midwest
68427vette Offline
top fuel
68427vette  Offline
top fuel

midwest
time for a group hug
and a

i'm sure you both do great work... and please continue..

nothing more to say,, and clog this resto. thread .. jc

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D [Re: DAYCLONA] #694221
01/22/11 10:16 PM
01/22/11 10:16 PM
People's Republic of Kali
70runner Offline
super stock
70runner  Offline
super stock

People's Republic of Kali
I believe there may be some misunderstanding here.

The right quarter panel replacement was an AMD hardtop repro that was spliced in and butt welded, as shown in the earlier pix, to the original convertible panel remains. The vertical butt weld on the jamb is the way Mike does the splice and I'm satisfied with his approach (I've been welding for 25yrs so I know a little about it). Certainly there are other ways to skin this cat (pardon the pun) and I rarely offer welding advice.

The left quarter panel was an NOS 70RR piece I acquired many years ago, perhaps the last one on the planet (?). Mike did not splice and butt weld this panel. The entire left hardtop panel installed by a PO was removed. There was no reason to splice. This qtr panel was welded along the factory seams.

Follow-up to the door fitment issue: I installed the Metro door weatherstrip and both doors now close properly. Thx again to the folks who suggested replacing the Soffseal (that weren't very soff) with Metro.

I'm in the process of restoring the rear axle, suspension and leaf springs. Thx to Cass (doctordiff) for the new axles, old ones had too much welding on the studs for my taste. Here's my makeshift springs paint "booth"...

6433009-primer.jpg (140 downloads)
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8