Moparts

AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis Deal

Posted By: cloneguy

AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis Deal - 05/10/10 08:32 PM

Here we go again!

A while back, we posted a survey to see if there was interest in having us offer a "Rolling Chassis" Rotisserie restoration for those of us who are on a tighter budget or those who just want to do more on their restoration.

We still offer the full rotisserie, nut and bolt restoration for a $25k MAX labor cost.

But now, for those who want to do their own power-train, interior and bolt-on's, we have decided to also offer the same high level of quality on the body and suspension for a MAX labor cost of $18k.

What exactly does this include?
What does AMCR do and what would the customer do?

Well, first the customer removes his engine, trans, interior, etc.

Then they bring the bare, rolling car to us. Or they can have have us come and pick it up. If the car is within 100 miles or so, we do this for free.

We'll pull all of the suspension and put the car on a rotisserie. Then we'll do all of the metal work, rebuild and detail the suspension and repaint the car with a show quality finish, inside and out.

Finally, we'll reassemble the rolling chasis and return the car to the customer.

The labor cost for all of the above will be $18k or less!

We'll still offer quality parts from AMD and Goodmark at great discounts to our customers, with no freight charges because we pick up the parts in person at no charge!

Where's the beef? It's coming right up in the form of a 1970 Road Runner convertible that we are doing for another Moparts member!

FYI, this one is coming in below the MAX because the customer is doing his own suspension even though we are doing the convertible top as an add-on.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/10/10 08:43 PM

The following photos are "before" pics.

Left side...

Attached picture 5974764-frontvu2.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/10/10 08:44 PM

Right...

Attached picture 5974767-rtside.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/10/10 08:44 PM

Engine area...

Attached picture 5974770-engbay.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/10/10 08:45 PM

Dash...

Attached picture 5974771-dash.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/10/10 08:46 PM

Floor...

Attached picture 5974773-floor.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/10/10 08:46 PM

Door jamb...

Attached picture 5974775-ltdoorjamb.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/10/10 08:48 PM

Not too bad, huh? The wheel well cap tells the story of previous repair that "might" not have been done properly. Hmmm...

Attached picture 5974777-wheelhouse.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/10/10 08:56 PM

Actually, the owner is very well informed and knows what the car needs. He described it well via email and photos and now we are starting on the car.

Stay tuned. You might be surprised at just how much really gets done in this restoration.
Posted By: biginchmotor

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 01:34 AM

Looking forward to the pictures and progress, cool.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 01:41 AM

What is the big deal. I do cars that clean for way less. I guess I don't get the whole to do about it.
Posted By: RV2

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 02:07 AM

Why dont you show some of your progress pics.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 02:11 AM

Quote:

Why dont you show some of your progress pics.

Go to my website.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 12:58 PM

My point exactly sixpackbee. To the untrained eye this car does look pretty good in photos.

We ask the right questions and give a fixed bid up front from the photos.

Progress photos to follow later today...
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 01:10 PM

Not to rain on the parade.
just wanted to confirm - the $18K ( or $25K ) includes NO parts, or materials ?

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 01:13 PM

Quote:

My point exactly sixpackbee. To the untrained eye this car does look pretty good in photos.

Untrained eye eh. That car is close to mint compared to the stuff we have to deal with up here. Come to the land of the 6 month salt bath and see where the hours pile up.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 03:53 PM

Quote:

Not to rain on the parade.
just wanted to confirm - the $18K ( or $25K ) includes NO parts, or materials ?

You are 100% correct.

The prices quoted are the MAX that anyone will pay on labor only. So far, nearly all have come in lower.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 04:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Untrained eye eh. That car is close to mint compared to the stuff we have to deal with up here. Come to the land of the 6 month salt bath and see where the hours pile up.

You are walking right into my trap sixpackbee... I'm just teasing you, all in good fun.

The fact is that we will take your absolute worst, or anybody elses and our MAXIMUM labor price guarantee will still stand.

The before photos don't tell the whole story on this car but the owner knew what needed to be done. He sent us details about everything and we quoted him a fair, FIXED price, in advance.

I promise to post progress photos soon. I just have to get a few more things done first this afternoon.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 08:42 PM

Ok, here we go. The owner knew that the car had been hit in the left quarter and repaired improperly. He also knew there was rust in the trunk pan and previous repair on the right quarter that needed to be straightened out as well.

He wanted the car done right and he wanted it done for a fair, fixed price.

After seeing what we had done for other customers, he allowed us to give him a firm price labor contract and then he trailered his car over 2500 miles to have us do the job for him.

We're posting the whole job here, start to finish.

Attached picture 5976876-1.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 08:44 PM

A little bondo over rust?

Attached picture 5976879-2.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 08:45 PM

Common problem area...

Attached picture 5976881-3.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 08:48 PM

Still look mint???

Attached picture 5976884-6.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 08:50 PM

How about this side?

Attached picture 5976887-18.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 08:51 PM

Need a closer look?

Attached picture 5976889-19.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 08:52 PM

More?

Attached picture 5976891-21.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 08:54 PM

OK, but this is the last one on this quarter.

Attached picture 5976894-23.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 08:54 PM

Quote:

Still look mint???

Compared to what I have to deal with on most of my customers cars....yes.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 09:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Still look mint???

Compared to what I have to deal with on most of my customers cars....yes.

Then you should show off more of your work on your website or start a post on here. I don't see any major restorations on your web site.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 09:02 PM

Back to business. Here is the part of the back half that didn't need rust repair...

Attached picture 5976912-7.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 09:05 PM

Honestly, the previous repairs were not only done incorrectly, the whole car was crooked. The wheel wells were not even directly across from each other.

Look closely at the left wheel well and how far back it is compared to the right one...

Attached picture 5976917-6.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 09:10 PM

Hmmm, they don't reproduce these parts...

Fortunately, the customer had a spare. But, they sort of modified those at the factory on a car by car basis so it might not fit...

Attached picture 5976929-11.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 09:13 PM

We'll make it work better than new.

Attached picture 5976933-15.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 09:15 PM

What? A piece is missing?

Attached picture 5976938-16.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/11/10 09:16 PM

Not any more...

Attached picture 5976942-17.jpg

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/12/10 12:25 AM

I've just updated the title posting to make it clear that this is a restoration thread and not just a new pricing deal.

More pics later in the week.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/12/10 01:35 AM

I generally don't take too many pictures. Don't have the time. The 70 RR on my sire is a major repair case. Frame rails, inner & outer rockers, pretty much everything from the doors back. I swept more of that car off the floor than was left. I have a 70 Bee I have owned for 30 years I plan on documenting for a book I have in the works. I plan to keep the left low beam headlight and replace everything else. That car will allow me to show every possible area and pitfalls of restorations. I am still envious of the lack of rust on your project.
Posted By: TROUBLE987

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/12/10 02:33 AM

CLONEGUY LOOKS LIKE YOU GUYS HAVE A GOOD LITTLE BUSINESS GOING,KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK..
Posted By: v269

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/12/10 02:37 AM

just curious what is an approximate material cost, say an average of your last two jobs, no parts just materials,thank you.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/12/10 01:44 PM

Quote:

I generally don't take too many pictures. Don't have the time. The 70 RR on my sire is a major repair case. Frame rails, inner & outer rockers, pretty much everything from the doors back. I swept more of that car off the floor than was left. I have a 70 Bee I have owned for 30 years I plan on documenting for a book I have in the works. I plan to keep the left low beam headlight and replace everything else. That car will allow me to show every possible area and pitfalls of restorations. I am still envious of the lack of rust on your project.

You're a funny guy and I hope we can meet sometime. I'll expect a signed copy of your book too.

Seriously, we take a lot of photos for many reasons.

First and foremost, it documents every step of the restoration for the customer. We email pictures every week and sometimes more often. If they see something they want done differently, we handle it right away. In addition, when the job is done, we make them a CD with hundreds of photos containing just about everything we touched and didn't touch during the restoration process.

Second, we post a few on here. It allows us to get feedback from the many in the Moparts family who like to help by telling us what they would do differently or what to watch out for.

Then, of course, a few people see what we are doing and write to us to ask for tips that would help them with what they are doing. We've helped people with everything from how to set their welder and what clamps to use for butt-welding to paint formulas and proper application methods for show quality paint. Obviously it's not the same as being there in person to show them but it's our way of giving back to the DIY guy.

This project certainly isn't the most rusty one we've done but it's the one we're doing now.

It's been our stated policy to document all of our Mopar restos on this site as a service to anyone that it might help, including ourselves.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/12/10 01:56 PM

Quote:

just curious what is an approximate material cost, say an average of your last two jobs, no parts just materials,thank you.

For the most part, materials run between $1500 and $2000, depending on the application. Usually about $500 in consumables and the rest is paint related.

We pass our jobber discount directly on to our customers by placing the order at our local AutoColor store and having the customer call in and pay directly with their credit card.

The charges include everything from sandpaper, grinding disks, welding wire, primer, sealer, paint, clear, etc.

We've yet to have a customer ask us to use anything but the best materials so, technically, the price could be much lower. The clear coat alone for the show quality paint we provide is nearly $400 per gallon.
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/12/10 02:37 PM

Nice project, and it looks like your doing pretty well overall. Its great to see the help your getting from the mopar people and the work looks good. And the end result is a better finished car.

Ones got to admire your commitment to make things as good as they can be for the money involved.

It looks like the service your offering does and will fit a certain crowd.

Dont know why the guy from NY says "Hey look at me" Maybe he needs to start his own post or maybe hes looking for work

Its good to see as well you not just working on the std mopar, now a RR convert

Yes I was a doubter like many at first...but it looks like your train is still rolling down the tracks full speed.
Posted By: Iceman01

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/12/10 04:01 PM

Tim,

Don't be surprised at the skeptical responses. As a society, we've become so jaded and cynical most can't believe what you're doing is real because they've never seen anything like it before. Doesn't matter though, because you sound like a genuinely good guy who is trying to build a business by being honest -- what a novel idea! Keep up the great work... I love to read/see your posts.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis Deal - 05/12/10 04:39 PM

So this is a 18K paint and bodywork job?

Not including paint and materials?

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/12/10 05:08 PM

Quote:

Dont know why the guy from NY says "Hey look at me" Maybe he needs to start his own post or maybe hes looking for work

Sure not saying look at me. If you knew me you'd know that. I have more work right now than I need. I don't have time to take pictures, save them, then post them. Take from that what you will.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis Deal - 05/12/10 05:46 PM

Quote:

So this is a 18K paint and bodywork job?

Not including paint and materials?

No. $18k is the MAX labor cost for a full rolling chassis rotisserie restoration including show quality paint.

This job is less because there isn't as much rust repair and the customer is doing his own front suspension work.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis Deal - 05/13/10 01:07 AM

Looks good Tim.
I'm still waiting for the " $ X Max labor Scuff,shoot,buff" post!

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/13/10 02:21 AM

I spoke with Tim and he sounds like a stand up guy, I inquired about redoing my car, we spoke about details plus he invited me to his shop to look at the work they had done.
I will be taking my car to him for a make over.
It will be going from this ugly yellow to black!

Attached picture 5979469-72roadrunnerlarge.jpg
Posted By: Hemiruss

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/13/10 11:14 AM

Ralph I like the yellow and black combo... Especially if it's the factory/orginial color...just my
Posted By: D/U R/T

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis Deal - 05/13/10 01:46 PM

Tim the work looks awesome I have already paid the 18k to the guy I chose but this is what I got back.

If you guys were in australia I'd be there in a shot.What we as customers need is good strong quotes that are stood buy.I paid up front and this is what I got back after over 2 years.This is a genuine R/T and now I'm left to save up from the paint job.

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t146/kwe38/?action=view&current=untitled.jpg&newest=1

Attached File
5980164-p50829058.pdf  (241 downloads)
Posted By: MoparPosterChild

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 05/15/10 04:28 AM

Looks like you guys are doing a great job! Have you ever done a resto-mod or a custom Mopar for a customer?

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution - $18k MAX labor Rolling - 05/15/10 03:21 PM

Quote:

I spoke with Tim and he sounds like a stand up guy, I inquired about redoing my car, we spoke about details plus he invited me to his shop to look at the work they had done.
I will be taking my car to him for a make over.
It will be going from this ugly yellow to black!

We like yellow, black, green, purple... you name it, we can squirt it.

BUT, if you want black like Ralph does, you won't get it better from anybody else!

Wait until we post the final photos of the black R/T we're doing in our SUPERCAR posting!!!

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 05/15/10 03:27 PM

Quote:

Looks like you guys are doing a great job! Have you ever done a resto-mod or a custom Mopar for a customer?

Of course! Did you notice my avatar? It's my 36 Dodge Truck in Viper blue with 1,000 HP blown hemi.

Also, see this link https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...2&fpart=all

We love them all, the restomods and customs just don't get as much attention on this site.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 08:50 PM

I'm sorry for the delay in posting. I'm going to add the pics from middle to end on this one today.

This one took longer than it was supposed to as well. Totally our fault as we were juggling this one and the 70 B7 Cuda.

Here's a door latch we had to replace.

Attached picture 6406991-26.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 08:50 PM

More door latch

Attached picture 6406995-29.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 08:51 PM

last latch

Attached picture 6406998-30.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 08:52 PM

Trunk

Attached picture 6407000-32.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 08:53 PM

Trunk Welds

Attached picture 6407001-33.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 08:54 PM

more...

Attached picture 6407004-35.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 08:55 PM

getting serious now...

Attached picture 6407006-38.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 08:55 PM

always butt welds...

Attached picture 6407007-39.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 08:57 PM

More

Attached picture 6407012-Photo218.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 08:57 PM

Other side...

Attached picture 6407014-Photo221.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 08:59 PM

Sealer

Attached picture 6407018-Photo230.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:00 PM

more sealer

Attached picture 6407019-Photo231.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:00 PM

blah, blah

Attached picture 6407022-Photo234.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:01 PM

more blah

Attached picture 6407024-Photo236.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:02 PM

bottom

Attached picture 6407029-Photo241.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:03 PM

outside sealed

Attached picture 6407030-Photo251.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:05 PM

color

Attached picture 6407035-Photo258.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:05 PM

other side

Attached picture 6407037-Photo261.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:06 PM

Looking good!!!

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:06 PM

clear

Attached picture 6407043-Photo263.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:07 PM

We don't need no stinkin oven!

Attached picture 6407044-Photo257.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:08 PM

Getting closer now...

Attached picture 6407048-Photo272.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:09 PM

Ready to go home...

Attached picture 6407050-Photo362.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:10 PM

packing up...

Attached picture 6407052-Photo364.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:11 PM

Don't forget the decal!

Attached picture 6407054-Photo363.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:12 PM

Bye Bye

Attached picture 6407058-Photo367.jpg
Posted By: anlauto

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:12 PM

Tim
Because you butt-welded that patch into the B Pillar for the convertible wedgie thing, does it get reinforced from the backside at all?
Just wondering because of the constant stress, I would be afraid of your welds cracking after being ground flush like that?

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:14 PM

In truth, this is what we do best. We'd rather do these partials than anything else.

Unfortunately, the car got home with some scratches in the clear coat. We will be working with the owner to polish them out after the paint has cured.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 09:19 PM

Quote:

Tim
Because you butt-welded that patch into the B Pillar for the convertible wedgie thing, does it get reinforced from the backside at all?
Just wondering because of the constant stress, I would be afraid of your welds cracking after being ground flush like that?

The welds penetrate all the way through and the bead on the back thickens and reinfoces it. We've never had one crack.
Posted By: 70runner

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 10:07 PM

This is my vert. I purposely waited until I got the car back and looked it over before weighing in on Tim's thread. I've detailed the restoration from my perspective below. I'll follow up with some pix for those that are interested.

Background. My 70RR convertible is an original 383, auto, B3, blue bench seat car. The RR came with a fresh air hood, but no switch/harness. I decided from the beginning to restore this RR as I would have bought it had I been smart enough in the day. I grew up driving a 68RR and have restored a couple 70RR hardtops, so I’m familiar with the 68-70B bodies. My daughter owns a 70 Sport Satellite which sits in my barn (used as a reference). B7 has always been my favorite color so the exterior color choice was easy. I decided to add a 440-6, AM/FM, P/W, PDB, console/buckets (white interior), and the full fresh air system. My goal is to restore it as it would have come off the assembly line with these options/colors.

Condition. The car had been painted at least 3 times. It was hit in the left door area at some point. The door, jamb, and quarter were replaced, rather crudely, with hardtop metal and the left wheelhouse was butchered in the process. I had collected what I believed were the primary body parts necessary to fix the car, including NOS left quarter, NOS rear shelf, mint left wheelhouse (hardtop), extra wheelhouse cap, and AMD full trunk floor. There were a few other odds/ends like the left door jamb didn't have the cutout for the door wedge (which I got from a boneyard 70 Coronet conv). In addition, there was severe rust/prodigious bondo at both qtr-rear shelf joints. I had done some initial bodywork, replacing the radiator side panels to convert from 22” to 26” rad (using 70 Coronet donor). Thx to Scott Smith for the nice repro 26” 956 radiator.

ACMR. I received estimates for bodywork/paint (I’m reassembling the car) from various restorers, some local, some mopar, others multi-makes. In most cases, the estimates varied between mid-high 5 figures, in one case low 6 figures. Interestingly, as I worked my way from California across the country, the estimates generally came down but of course involved increasing distance. I began following the ACMR 70 B7 Cuda thread, intrigued by their fixed price and work with the B7 paint. In my discussions with Tim, he described the research they did on the 70 B7 color for the Cuda. I described the condition as above, with pictures, and we negotiated a fixed labor cost for the following key line items (as stated in the contract):

1. AMCR will restore the body shell to original factory condition
2. Align body panels, doors, trunk, hood to factory specifications
3. Finish with factory B7 Jamaica Blue (70 version), no hood stripe
4. Factory primer/overspray undercarriage

I provided the sheet metal described above, parts needed to do the panel alignments, and was responsible for purchasing required paint and supplies. I’m not going to state the price here, but it was less than their advertised amount. Tim is certainly welcome to comment on the price and my review.

Delivery. I left on Monday, 5 Apr and arrived at Mike’s place (Tim’s partner) around 2pm Thurs, 8 Apr. I trailered the car on my open 18ft car hauler and Chevy 2500HD Dmax. I spent the day talking with Mike at his home/shop. Tim was dealing with some family matters and not available, but I talked with him on the phone several times. Mike and I went over the car, discussed the bodywork/paint, and inventoried the parts I brought with me. We spent some time looking at the 70 Cuda. I departed Thurs evening.

Timetable. In my discussions with Tim and Mike, there was no precise timetable agreed to. Shortly after I dropped the car off, they lost the 3rd member of their team for several months. In addition, Mike was dealing with fairly significant family health issues which I won’t discuss here. Mike is the body/paint guy so he was doing the majority of the work on my car. He isn’t much of a computer geek, so most of the email was between me and Tim. Tim would send regular (occasionally irregular) updates and pictures via email. Mike and I spoke frequently on the phone.

Changes. Mike uncovered substantial repairs/bondo in the right quarter and fresh air hood, and recommended these be replaced with AMD reproductions. Fortunately the AMD 70 fresh air hood is an excellent reproduction. Mike said it fit better than the original. The cost to me was the price of the quarter and hood, no change to the negotiated labor cost. The original plan was for ACMR to install the windshield and conv top, however, since I was installing the dash we decided not to install the windshield. We agreed to forgo installation of the top to save time.

Arrival. The RR arrived Monday, Nov22 via enclosed transport that I arranged. (Sidenote: the fellow that transported the RR was outstanding – would highly recommend him for anyone moving around their prized mopar/classic. Total professional. PM me for contact info.) Roughly 7 ½ months, a little longer than I had expected (4-5mos), but understandable given Mike’s family priorities. When the car rolled off the trailer it was spectacular at first glance. However, on closer inspection, some issues were evident. These are the biggies:

*The trunk lid and hood have clearcoat scratches
*3 holes in the right inner fender, under the washer bottle, were not filled as agreed
*Doors: both are difficult to close. Alignments are good. Mike worked on this for several days without much success and we discussed it along with possible remedies. I’ve managed to get the right door closing almost normally but the left is still problematic. Mike thinks perhaps the new weatherstrip may be too firm. We’re still working this one.

Summary. The bodywork is top notch (there was a lot of it). Panel alignments are good. Hood and trunk close properly. The paint job is very nice, assuming I can buff out the scratches. I’m satisfied with what was done for the cost. Mike is very thorough and takes a lot of pride in his work. He was very distressed about the clearcoat issues and has shipped me some materials for touchup/buffing.

Attached picture 6407163-unload1.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 10:17 PM

Another arrival pic

Attached picture 6407177-unloaded3red.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 10:18 PM

Grille installed

Attached picture 6407179-installed_Dec10.jpg
Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 10:22 PM

I was wondering if any temporary braces were welded in and used across the door openings? Converts are more flexible and a lot of metal was removed from the car, thanks.

Looks pretty good.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 10:25 PM

Power windows installed and working. I converted from manual windows and used factory hardware. Fortunately the glass/channels are the same. I fabricated the up/down stops. Purchased the harness and regulators from a fellow parting out a 70 Coronet conv with P/W.

Attached picture 6407196-pwinstalled_dec10.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 10:37 PM

Restored heater box ready to go in. Thx to Jules DAddio for help on some parts.

Attached picture 6407215-Fr1_s.jpg
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 11:48 PM

Quote:

*Doors: both are difficult to close. Alignments are good. Mike worked on this for several days without much success and we discussed it along with possible remedies. I’ve managed to get the right door closing almost normally but the left is still problematic. Mike thinks perhaps the new weatherstrip may be too firm. We’re still working this one.

I've found this to be a common problem with my own and customers cars, regardless of the originality of the car, in regards to it having it's original body panels, or complete re-structuring/fabrication/reskinning/etc,....the aftermarket door seals for B bodies really suck, either the durometer is too much, or the profile is too large, causing all kinds of trouble getting the doors to close/seal properly,....a few cars I've gotten lucky trying out various manufacturers,...but most of the time find that using nice used factory/ or NOS doorseals is the only way to go, to avoid pulling your hair out, hope you have some nice factory seals for the vert's top, as some of the aftermart vert seal, esp the header leave a lot to be desired

Otherwise looks like a nice ride ...glad to see your building it the way you want it,...good luck on your project

Mike

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 11:53 PM

Well I'll be the first to say....

It's great to hear a review from someone finally about AMCR's work

The car looks spectacular for sure and I wouldn't sweat the clear coat issues, they're usually a simple fix.

However without a number figure put on the total cost of the body and paint it's hard for me to voice an opinion on whether or not Tim's offer is a good deal.

I can't speak for all the "doubters", but I confess that I was one of the first ones to say a "full restoration" can't be done for the $25K max...and I'm surprised that you said they have come in under that price.

The one comment I will make (IN MY OPINION) I don't like how the car wasn't properly stripped completely before any of the rust repair was done.
Check out the blasting job on a green A12 in another thread....That's how I start all of my restorations as well, stripped to the bare bones first...Several of Tim's photos on their projects show them welding in new metal right next to painted and sometimes rusty metal.
Again...This is my opinion, and that's not to say there is anything wrong with the method they use.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/09/11 11:57 PM

Yes..I agree with Mike....Before you pull all your hair out..remove the door seals 100% and see then how the doors close.
The best aftermarket seals I've found are Metro SuperSoft They come packaged on purple cardboard.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/10/11 12:24 AM

Quote:

I was wondering if any temporary braces were welded in and used across the door openings? Converts are more flexible and a lot of metal was removed from the car, thanks.

Looks pretty good.

Since we were installing frame connectors, we figured the door bracing wasn't as critical. I did add a brace to the conv top frame attachment points for transport.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/10/11 12:30 AM

Quote:

I can't speak for all the "doubters", but I confess that I was one of the first ones to say a "full restoration" can't be done for the $25K max...and I'm surprised that you said they have come in under that price.

I'll defer to Tim for specifics, but I believe the 25K is for a full resto including assembly. My cost was significantly less as I'm putting it back together and they didn't have to deal with the drivetrain.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/10/11 12:32 AM

Quote:

Yes..I agree with Mike....Before you pull all your hair out..remove the door seals 100% and see then how the doors close.
The best aftermarket seals I've found are Metro SuperSoft They come packaged on purple cardboard.

Thx to you and Mike for this input. I don't remember what seals I bought but don't think they were Metro.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/10/11 01:03 AM

Quote:

Well I'll be the first to say....

It's great to hear a review from someone finally about AMCR's work

The car looks spectacular for sure and I wouldn't sweat the clear coat issues, they're usually a simple fix.

However without a number figure put on the total cost of the body and paint it's hard for me to voice an opinion on whether or not Tim's offer is a good deal.

The one comment I will make (IN MY OPINION) I don't like how the car wasn't properly stripped completely before any of the rust repair was done.
Check out the blasting job on a green A12 in another thread....That's how I start all of my restorations as well, stripped to the bare bones first...Several of Tim's photos on their projects show them welding in new metal right next to painted and sometimes rusty metal.
Again...This is my opinion, and that's not to say there is anything wrong with the method they use.

Alan,

Thanks for the it means a lot to us coming from you.

1) We do strip everything before final primer/sealer/paint but as you've noticed, not always before we do some of the metal work.

2) Since we have the customer's permission, I'll tell you that this Rolling Chassis Resto came in at $15k labor. The price was quoted and contracted from photos and the customer's description before the car ever left his house.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/10/11 01:12 AM

Quote:

Looks pretty good.

This is a topic that I plan to address in detail in my next posting. Whenever you use braces to hold a car in position, you are making the dangerous assumption that the car was right to start with. In this particular case, we already knew that the car had been hit and improperly repaired in the past. If we had braced everything up and put it back where it was, the car would have been just as crooked when we finished as it was when we started. Please see the earlier photos showing where the rear wheel wells were not even close to the plane.

We don't care if the car moves all over the place until it's time to weld in new parts. At that point, we use a technique called "triangulation". There are many points specified by the manufacterer on every car with prescribed measurements to several other points on the car. We check those measurements in two or more places before every weld. This takes care of issues even if they date back to a late Friday afternoon in 1970 back in Hamtramck. IMHO, this is the only way to do it correctly and to be 100% certain that it's done correctly once and for all.
Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/10/11 01:17 AM

Makes sense Tim, thanks for the input.
Posted By: Chally426

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/10/11 04:01 PM

Man, I got a 71 barracuda convert. I should let you do.
But its really, really rusty..Great job for the money...

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/10/11 04:14 PM

WoW...Ok...
The total cost to the customer was only $15K for both 1/4's, trunk floor, rad support, etc...ALL body work and final paint and polish???

The owner supplied the parts and paint/supplies ? correct? That had to be another $5K at least, or maybe $7500 ???

I would say that's a DARN GOOD price....not cheap, but not crazy expensive either...The finished product certainly reflects the money spent as well....

Good Job AMCR

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/10/11 04:27 PM

It's a good to get feedback from the customer .

so, I'll ask, how good is your metal man?

If he can fix this and still keep the total at or under the 18K for the body alone. ( I'll do everything else ) we need to schedule a shop tour and time frames.
- ps , see below

I'm jossing you on the nose repair part. I've known about this car for 25 years and this nose can't be repaired without a doner for the bent side. It is worst than it looks.
Posted By: coffeeman383

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/10/11 06:33 PM

[quote This takes care of issues even if they date back to a late Friday afternoon in 1970 back in Hamtramck.

St. Louis

That car looks great and I always appreciate professional builds where the guy posts pics of his work. My 70 RR convert is a rusted mess and I've been mulling over the 'max $25K' resto. for a while. Not ready to not do it myself but boy that and the B7 Cuda gives me something to think about
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/10/11 07:23 PM

I don't remember what seals I bought but don't think they were Metro.

......IF you used the ones from SOFT SEAL you will never get the door to shut unless you slam them and MOST venders sell these JUNK door seals. You want the ones from METRO supersoft.
BTW, 15K for all that work is a GREAT deal!! Shops in this area woud have charged TWICE that amount. Nice work.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/11/11 02:15 AM

Quote:

BTW, 15K for all that work is a GREAT deal!! Shops in this area woud have charged TWICE that amount. Nice work.

Shops in my area (SOCAL) wanted 3-4 times this amount. Perhaps the <Jay Leno/no expense spared> effect?
Posted By: dan9

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/11/11 03:20 PM

Just curious if you had a nos left quarter panel then why splice it? Also when you find major damage to the right quarter then why grind the whole panel when it is going to be replaced? Thanks

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/11/11 03:56 PM

Quote:

I can vouch for this, the doors on the cuda I'm working on you have to slam the doors harder than I'm confortable with to get them to close. then the roof rail seals to me seem to be too hard as well and push the 1/4 glass out when it reaches the top of the travel. It's all Sofseal stuff.

I plan to look into the metro stuff next week

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/11/11 06:39 PM

Quote:

Just curious if you had a nos left quarter panel then why splice it? Also when you find major damage to the right quarter then why grind the whole panel when it is going to be replaced? Thanks

Good questions,

- If you notice they way we spliced the QP, it left all factory welds in place. Since we butt welded everywhere and then ground them down, the replacement is seamless. The only evidence, without stripping the paint off, is the photo we posted.

- When the car came in, it was not apparent that the damage on that side was quite so major. Since the customer was 3,000 miles away, we stripped the whole panel and took a bunch of pictures of it for emailing. Then we let the customer decide if he wanted us to repair it or replace it. The only change in cost to him was the part and materials.

Thanks for asking.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/11/11 08:23 PM

Quote:

then the roof rail seals to me seem to be too hard as well and push the 1/4 glass out when it reaches the top of the travel. It's all Sofseal stuff.

I've already talked to Metro about this. They don't carry a roof rail kit for the convertibles, only a long seal that can be trimmed as needed. Their door seal is listed for hardtop, but I assume can be used for conv as well. I also have the Soffseal kit.
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/11/11 11:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

then the roof rail seals to me seem to be too hard as well and push the 1/4 glass out when it reaches the top of the travel. It's all Sofseal stuff.

I've already talked to Metro about this. They don't carry a roof rail kit for the convertibles, only a long seal that can be trimmed as needed. Their door seal is listed for hardtop, but I assume can be used for conv as well. I also have the Soffseal kit.

I believe Steele Rubber makes that kit also, I have had great luck with them in the past: better than I have had with Soffseal.
Posted By: dan9

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/11/11 11:31 PM

Good thinking thanks. Beautiful work you do.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/13/11 03:13 AM

Some mo pix...
Conv well/trim; I restored the stainless with the eastwood kit. Pot metal are nice originals.

Attached picture 6414281-trimfit.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/13/11 03:16 AM

NOS date coded beep beep. You can see the inner fender holes that got missed during the resto. Probably where a PO mounted an ECU.

Attached picture 6414288-RRhorn.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/13/11 03:21 AM

Hood 440 callout (thx to moparts member "okie" for an orig callout backup plate). NOS hood t/s assemblies.

Attached picture 6414298-440callout.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/13/11 03:25 AM

Inst panel frame - blasted, primed, and painted with correct suede finish (Mancini stock).

Attached picture 6414305-frame_painted.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/13/11 03:28 AM

Restored steering column, same suede paint

Attached picture 6414311-rebuilt1.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/13/11 03:31 AM

Suspension coming together

Attached picture 6414320-Assembled1.jpg

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/13/11 03:32 AM

440 back from machine shop

Attached picture 6414323-ltside2.jpg
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/13/11 03:56 AM

Rich, your Road Runner looks fantastic. You must be really excited working toward completion.
Nice job Tim.
Posted By: ogopogo

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/21/11 02:17 PM

Its shocking to hear you got all that for 15K ! thats a 50K job and 2-3yrs in the shop around here .
As for weatherstripping,the metro supersoft I put on my 66 satellite doors is garbage,it is dimensionally larger than the original w/s and it rubs the striker when you close the door,I will be reinstalling the original w/s back on.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/21/11 03:38 PM

Quote:

I would "assume" the NOS replacement was a hardtop piece, thus you would have to graft it in place,....if it WAS a NOS vert qtr, and it was spliced like that, then that was sad indeed?

Then again I didn't care for the surgery done in that graft, I would have made every effort to rework the hardtop skin (if that's what was used) to conform to the original vert's form, to avoid/minimize butt welding/grafting,....the buttweld (vertical) along the door jamb is not "proper" in my opinion

Nice job overall though,... you couldn't get that much work done for $15K or less out this way

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/21/11 07:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would "assume" the NOS replacement was a hardtop piece, thus you would have to graft it in place,....if it WAS a NOS vert qtr, and it was spliced like that, then that was sad indeed?

Then again I didn't care for the surgery done in that graft, I would have made every effort to rework the hardtop skin (if that's what was used) to conform to the original vert's form, to avoid/minimize butt welding/grafting,....the buttweld (vertical) along the door jamb is not "proper" in my opinion

Nice job overall though,... you couldn't get that much work done for $15K or less out this way

The reason for the verticle butt weld and all butt welds the way we do them is simple. They leave the factory welds in place. When we are done, if we hadn't posted the photos here, it is not possible to tell that the work was ever done. It leaves the car looking like 100% original metal from the factory.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/21/11 10:15 PM

The reason for the verticle butt weld and all butt welds the way we do them is simple. They leave the factory welds in place. When we are done, if we hadn't posted the photos here, it is not possible to tell that the work was ever done. It leaves the car looking like 100% original metal from the factory.

So Tim your saying you cut up a factory NOS vert panel to butt weld it to save the "factory" welds?,....there are plenty of techniques and equipment avaliable to "reproduce" a factory type weld, not "rocket science",....I feel you've lost some of the structual integrity of the car, esp a vert, by welding the qtr as you did, yeah, yeah you never had one break a weld,....but how about 2,5,10 years down the road?,...when/if it fractures? and starts looking like hell?,...I don't know about you, but when I finish a car, I don't want to revisit it again down the road to rebuild it again

Mike

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/21/11 10:28 PM

I'm not interested in arguing the point. You seem to want to make this about you and how you are better than us. Maybe you are. I don't care.

My body guy has been doing this for 50 years and neither you nor anyone else can tell that the work was done when he's finished.

The only reason you know what was done is because we posted pics.

The car was hit hard on that side and repaired improperly. We had to do a whole lot that you couldn't see. And, the "NOS" piece didn't fit without us straightening out the car first.

The car is absolutely right now. We give a lifetime warranty on our work, do you? If your welds crack, I guess not.
Posted By: 1MYTGTX

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 04:17 PM

Beautiful job at an amazing price! To me, tear down & assembly is easy enough for the novice to do themselves.....you guys provide the "hard part" in the resto with great results
Posted By: flypaper

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 04:33 PM

Quote:

So Tim your saying you cut up a factory NOS vert panel to butt weld it to save the "factory" welds?,....there are plenty of techniques and equipment avaliable to "reproduce" a factory type weld, not "rocket science",....I feel you've lost some of the structual integrity of the car, esp a vert, by welding the qtr as you did, yeah, yeah you never had one break a weld,....but how about 2,5,10 years down the road?,...when/if it fractures? and starts looking like hell?,...I don't know about you, but when I finish a car, I don't want to revisit it again down the road to rebuild it again

Mike

there is a BIG HUGE differance
between body work and restoration work
and there is a REASON restoration work costs ALOT MORE

some can grasp it and some never will

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 06:06 PM

Quote:

Perhaps you can enlighten us?
Posted By: flypaper

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 06:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

no need for me to...
you have done a very good job for us already

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 06:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

no need for me to...
you have done a very good job for us already

Your statement doesn't make any sense.

Please list your qualifications and explain yourself.
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 06:52 PM

Is butt welding a quarter panel really that bad? Both my quarters were butt welded 22 years ago. And no signs of cracks yet on the welds. I do have a crack on the sides of the roof behind the side window so I know I'm torqueing the body. If the butt weld sucked, shouldn't it have cracked there?

Besides there are many many quarter skins installed this way. Shoot, quart skins used to be the only way to go when nos parts were $5000 a piece.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 06:58 PM

Thanks AARCUDA!

The fact is, the way we do is the best way. Butt welds are stronger than the metal around them. And, you have to be an experienced professional to do it this way without warping the metal.

What we have here are amatures trying to make themselves sound knowlegable and important.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 08:21 PM

Quote:

Is butt welding a quarter panel really that bad? Both my quarters were butt welded 22 years ago. And no signs of cracks yet on the welds. I do have a crack on the sides of the roof behind the side window so I know I'm torqueing the body. If the butt weld sucked, shouldn't it have cracked there?

Besides there are many many quarter skins installed this way. Shoot, quart skins used to be the only way to go when nos parts were $5000 a piece.

I would agree with you Steve, there are times a butt weld may be the only choice you have, and there is also a proper place for doing a butt weld so that it's not stressed, and prone to possible failure,...A few of my reproduction Daytona/SuperBird parts, mainly the larger sheetmetal parts have butt welds in order to create a 1 pc assembly making it look like a 1pc factory stamping,...but the location is chosen very carefully to avoid stress, and a MINIMAL joining/butting area is chosen also,....

Some people have no problem creating a "Frankenstein" of patches, welds, etc, or hacking up a full NOS skin to patch a car, then piling on the mud to sculp a car into shape,...you get what you pay for, or how much you paid for
Posted By: RJS

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 08:31 PM

Your doing excellent work there Tim at very affordable pricing. I paid 3X's that for a roller 5 or so years ago. Ron

Attached picture 6432412-IMG_1465(Large).JPG

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 08:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would agree with you Steve, there are times a butt weld may be the only choice you have, and there is also a proper place for doing a butt weld so that it's not stressed, and prone to possible failure,...A few of my reproduction Daytona/SuperBird parts, mainly the larger sheetmetal parts have butt welds in order to create a 1 pc assembly making it look like a 1pc factory stamping,...but the location is chosen very carefully to avoid stress, and a MINIMAL joining/butting area is chosen also,....

Some people have no problem creating a "Frankenstein" of patches, welds, etc, or hacking up a full NOS skin to patch a car, then piling on the mud to sculp a car into shape,...you get what you pay for, or how much you paid for

You must be talking about the work you do because the photos we posted clearly indicate the highest quality of workmanship with minimal filler.

I don't know if you've noticed or not but you are the only one on here who doesn't see that we are doing fine work at great prices.

Aarcuda's butt welded quarters have been fine for 22 years and the one's we've done will be too.

Why don't you tell us more about the butt welds you've done that have cracked? Maybe we can help by telling you what you are doing wrong. Then maybe you can offer a lifetime warranty too. How long is your warranty? I couldn't find it on your website.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 08:52 PM

Quote:

Your doing excellent work there Tim at very affordable pricing. I paid 3X's that for a roller 5 or so years ago. Ron

Thanks very much.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 08:53 PM

Quote:

Beautiful job at an amazing price! To me, tear down & assembly is easy enough for the novice to do themselves.....you guys provide the "hard part" in the resto with great results

Thank you!

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 09:12 PM

Quote:

Its shocking to hear you got all that for 15K ! thats a 50K job and 2-3yrs in the shop around here .
As for weatherstripping,the metro supersoft I put on my 66 satellite doors is garbage,it is dimensionally larger than the original w/s and it rubs the striker when you close the door,I will be reinstalling the original w/s back on.

Thanks Ogo!

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 09:14 PM

Quote:

WoW...Ok...
The total cost to the customer was only $15K for both 1/4's, trunk floor, rad support, etc...ALL body work and final paint and polish???

The owner supplied the parts and paint/supplies ? correct? That had to be another $5K at least, or maybe $7500 ???

I would say that's a DARN GOOD price....not cheap, but not crazy expensive either...The finished product certainly reflects the money spent as well....

Good Job AMCR

Thanks alot Alan! I value your expert opinion greatly.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 09:26 PM

Quote:

BTW, Where are your customer reviews? I haven't seen them yet.

Hmmmmm,...I guess you don't have time to read?,... being busy an all with that "redo" work you do after you install the "finished" assemblies

But in any case I think my restorations, and my customers cars, and reproduction parts speak for themselves seeing they made MCG's top ten Mopars list several years in a row, assorted Magazine covers, MCG, Mopar Action, HOTROD magazine, HMC Enthusiast, Hemmings, etc, etc, etc, plus numerous invitational events, as well numerous magazine articles, HOTROD television, consistent 1st place in class showings, as well as nominated and voted Muscle car of the year award by Hemmings Motor Magazine,....and thats just Mopars

I do Motorcycles,boats Trucks, Exotics, and he11 even a few airplane parts, from one part to ground up creations, total fabrications to paint, as well as machining custom engine parts and induction systems.....do you require a list of those as well

Clownguy, I had no intention of trashing your work, I merely asked a question as to why you chose to cut up that NOS panel as you did,...and as I stated in the thread (my opinion) I felt it was improper,...now if I was just a "hack" or "redneck" with no experience in fabrication/machining/welding/bodywork/painting/etc,...then you'd be justified in your response,....I do notice you lash out quickly at people's requests/inquiries,....remember you put yourself out on the internet, it's a public arena, your either a lion, or your fed to them

Mike

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 09:37 PM

Quote:

You don't call that trashing our work?

I just offered to help you since you seem to have trouble with butt welding. You are the one going off on a tangent here.

And, this IS one of our customer reviews although you seem to want to make it about you. I guess that's why it says "Look at me! Look at me!" under your name.

I had actually hoped to get some parts from you for a badly burned superbird we are restoring later this year. But honestly, you seem to be a little unstable so, I guess I'll rethink that.

BTW, why don't you answer the question about your warranty? I've asked it twice now. Or does this make it three times?

Nevermind. I don't care about your warranty.

This posting is about Rich's car and I'm bored with your ramblings.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 10:02 PM

Quote:

BTW, why don't you answer the question about your warranty? I've asked it twice now. Or does this make it three times?

Sorry 'bout that Tim,...I don't offer a warranty, I offer a guarantee(big difference) warranties are only offered by those who know it's only a matter of time that's "ticking away" on their craftsmanship before the customer is a "knockin" on or down their door
Posted By: 68427vette

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/22/11 11:30 PM

time for a group hug
and a

i'm sure you both do great work... and please continue..

nothing more to say,, and clog this resto. thread .. jc

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/23/11 02:16 AM

I believe there may be some misunderstanding here.

The right quarter panel replacement was an AMD hardtop repro that was spliced in and butt welded, as shown in the earlier pix, to the original convertible panel remains. The vertical butt weld on the jamb is the way Mike does the splice and I'm satisfied with his approach (I've been welding for 25yrs so I know a little about it). Certainly there are other ways to skin this cat (pardon the pun) and I rarely offer welding advice.

The left quarter panel was an NOS 70RR piece I acquired many years ago, perhaps the last one on the planet (?). Mike did not splice and butt weld this panel. The entire left hardtop panel installed by a PO was removed. There was no reason to splice. This qtr panel was welded along the factory seams.

Follow-up to the door fitment issue: I installed the Metro door weatherstrip and both doors now close properly. Thx again to the folks who suggested replacing the Soffseal (that weren't very soff) with Metro.

I'm in the process of restoring the rear axle, suspension and leaf springs. Thx to Cass (doctordiff) for the new axles, old ones had too much welding on the studs for my taste. Here's my makeshift springs paint "booth"...

Attached picture 6433009-primer.jpg
Posted By: 70plymA34

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/23/11 03:48 PM

Rich,

Car is coming out excellent. We have to catch up sometime on the phone..
Posted By: 2fast4yourBrain

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/23/11 06:31 PM

I'm curious...it seems it's more work to do all those tiny butt welds than to drill out the spot welds and mimic the factory spot welds?

Also, when you butt weld, what do you put on top of them after you grind them down? Do you lead or duraglass?

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/23/11 07:26 PM

Quote:

I'm curious...it seems it's more work to do all those tiny butt welds than to drill out the spot welds and mimic the factory spot welds?

Also, when you butt weld, what do you put on top of them after you grind them down? Do you lead or duraglass?

It's a lot more work to do the butt welding but we believe that to mimic the factory spot welds or even using a spot welder, which we do in some spots, is not as good as leaving the factory spot welds in place. There will always be someone who can tell the difference with the spot welds. With a proper butt weld, nobody can tell it was done.

The most important part is not warping the metal. As long as you don't warp the metal, when you grind down the welds, there will be almost no need for filler at all. We spread fiberglass over the ground weld to fill any tiny imperfections or pin holes and then sand 99.9% of it back off. By the time the car is ready for primer, you can't see more than a pin holes worth of fiberglass here and there.

If you are going to try this, practice a lot on scrap metal first. My guy has been doing this forever and he makes it look easy. I'm a decent welder but I can't butt weld without making a mess. Fortunately, I don't have to because I have Mike.

There is certainly nothing wrong with doing the spot weld method if that's what you want.

In my opinion, the guys who don't do butt welding simply can't do it properly this way; it's not as easy as it looks. Truthfully, if your welds crack, body torque or not, you didn't do them correctly because a proper weld is always stronger than the metal around it.

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/23/11 08:06 PM

Mig weld or Tig weld ?

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/23/11 09:09 PM

Quote:

Mig weld or Tig weld ?

Are you kidding? At our prices, we can't afford a Tig welder!

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/24/11 12:45 AM

Quote:

Rich,

Car is coming out excellent. We have to catch up sometime on the phone..

Hey Mike, how's that Cuda doin?
Posted By: 70plymA34

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/25/11 02:13 AM

Very good, reassembly going smooth so far.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/26/11 06:36 PM

I'm not interested in participating in the
and without calling anyone's preferred method into question, I will point out two facts;

- A proper butt weld is at least as strong as the base metal and if done skillfully requires very little (if any) filler.

- a simulated spot weld doesn't usually look like a real spot weld. Some people do a better job than others, but I've always been able to tell.

Disclaimer; I don't restore cars for a living and nothing I own has ever been in an automotive magazine. I am a sheet metal worker by trade and I own a shop that does an awful lot of sheet metal welding and I have two spot welders in my shop. We work to provide custom panels and patches to several local bodyshops though most of our sheet metal welding is for industrial and institutional specialty ducting. I did work in the automotive industry in my prior career and sold paint and body supplies including reproduction sheet metal as well as Sherwin Williams and PPG products.

My bodyshop did a great job on my Superbee, but the one thing they didn't do that I had asked for was to preserve the spot welded seam on the passenger quarter; they installed the new one with simulated spot welds at the factory location....still not happy about that as it's obvious the quarter has been changed now. Oh well.

Dave
Posted By: foz

Re: AMCR -70 RR Vert - $18k MAX labor Rolling Chassis D - 01/26/11 09:08 PM

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MEN!

Please stop arguing.

Have a nice day.
© 2024 Moparts Forums