05/04/10 12:08 PM
05/04/10 12:08 PM
Witness Protection Program
Kudakidd Offline OP
master
Kudakidd  Offline OP
master

Gorilla or McGard? What's your preference and why?

Re: Locking Lug Nuts [Re: Kudakidd] #688080
05/04/10 12:45 PM
05/04/10 12:45 PM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
I've got both. McGards on the RR (at least until I started the resto) and on the Durango. Gorilla on the Supra. I can't speak to all the designs, but the ones I've got.

The McGard design on the RR is the shank nut with the milled channel on the top flat surface. Older style, I imagine. Works well. Hard to get a grip on to remove without the key, so good in that regard. But the milled channel on the top flat surface requires that the key/socket/extension shaft on the ratchet be held perfectly in alignment with the nut so the key doesn't slip out of the channel. The chrome finish is fairly good quality; it hasn't rusted (much) in 25 years.

The McGard design on the Durango is a conical seat open nut with a smooth (or mostly so) outer surface. The nut extends out from the base so that there is an interior surface to the nut shaft which has the unique spline design to fit the key socket. The key socket has a hole through the center through which some or all of the lug stud fits. This design makes the lug nut less attractive, but with center caps on the wheel, who cares. The upside of the design is that it is a more secure way of fitting the key on the nut, with virtually no chance of slippage. The nuts have been on the Durango for 5 years with no rust (center caps help with reducing exposure); so McGard seems to have fairly good quality finishes.

The Gorilla design is a conical seat shaft capped nut with a unique spline design around the outside of the shaft of the nut. The downside of this design is that it seems like it would be pretty easy to put on a pair of vise grips and a breaker bar on the nut to get it off without the key. If the nut sits in a well in the wheel hub (as mine do on the Toyota), that's no big deal. Or if in a tight location, like between the spokes on some American Racing 200S, Torq-Thrusts, or Cragars, probably also no big deal. On exposed wheels, or front drive vehicles, probably not so good. Also, in 15 years, they've started in with some pretty good finish degradation; worse than on the McGards in 25 years. So the finish quality is not so hot.

If I had to rank 'em...
1) McGard top flat with the channel
2) McGard interior spline
3) Gorilla exterior spline

Re: Locking Lug Nuts [Re: MoparMarq] #688081
05/04/10 12:53 PM
05/04/10 12:53 PM
Kudakidd Offline OP
master
Kudakidd  Offline OP
master

Thanks Marq. Truth be told, these are going on our brand new 2010 Jeep Unlimited (think baby Humvee). I'm more oncerned about the tire (and rim) that sits exposed mounted on the tailgate, but I can't just buy one!

Re: Locking Lug Nuts [Re: Kudakidd] #688082
05/04/10 01:11 PM
05/04/10 01:11 PM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
Just went to the McGard website. The new (to me, anyway) key design looks a lot more secure, as far as slippage on the nut. Looks like I may be springing for a new set for the RR...

Hope the new Jeep is working out nicely for you.

Re: Locking Lug Nuts [Re: MoparMarq] #688083
05/05/10 06:53 PM
05/05/10 06:53 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
My McGards are are old. No rust at all except where the chrome is chipped around where the key goes. Ive had problems with the key slipping out but on my car it is over an inch long to get inside the wheel so I think that is part of the problem. Norma ones should be fine.