05/02/10 01:47 PM
05/02/10 01:47 PM
Cincinnati, OH
68red440 Offline OP
enthusiast
68red440  Offline OP
enthusiast

Cincinnati, OH
I need to replace my 5/16 fuel pick-up with a 3/8. The bends in the new one (junk from Taiwan) were way off, and it would always bottom out in the tank when installing it. I couldn't return it, so I corrected the bends, but the sock on the new one is twice as long so it still bottoms out. Due to the shape of the bottom of the tank, if the sock was the same length as the original 5/16, it would fit fine.
Searching parts catalogs tells me that the same tank was used for big block and small block cars, and 3/8 sending units are supposed to have the long socks. It doesn't seem to add up unless the 3/8 bends are supposed to be different so that the end of the tube is in the same spot as the 5/16 and the range of the float is still correct.

Is this a common problem? Can I just shorten the end of the tube and get a shorter sock? Would a shorter sock support the extra fuel flow? Is it easy to change the sock? Thanks!

5959813-HPIM8268.JPG (57 downloads)
Last edited by 68red440; 05/02/10 01:49 PM.
Re: 5/16 to 3/8 fuel pick up - sock is longer, bottoms out [Re: 68red440] #686530
05/02/10 03:01 PM
05/02/10 03:01 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
If possible, it makes sense to have the filter sock sitting parallel to the tank bottom to expose more of it to fuel during the lowest level. This will allow you to run the tank level down to near dry, and to avoid fuel starvation. I did this by cutting the top off of a rusty Duster fuel tank and test fitting the sender. I would bend the inlet tube, test fit, remove and bend, etc until it looked right. Unfortunatly, the Chow Mein quality gave inaccurate guage readings.

Re: 5/16 to 3/8 fuel pick up - sock is longer, bottoms out [Re: Kern Dog] #686531
05/02/10 04:19 PM
05/02/10 04:19 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

If possible, it makes sense to have the filter sock sitting parallel to the tank bottom to expose more of it to fuel during the lowest level. This will allow you to run the tank level down to near dry, and to avoid fuel starvation.

yes you can shorten the horizontle leg and or get a shorter sock and it will eventually clog up sooner but I wouldn't sweat it. I think they are glued/epoxied on w I'm not sure what. the trick is to get the sock parallel and right on the bottom so it will wick up the last bit of gas IF you run it down to E regularly. Myself I prefer to toss the sock (it is a restriction and can plug up eventually and run the horizontle leg a bit off of the bottom to help prevent heavy debris and water globules from getting drawn in and I rely on a good filter up front to take care of things PLUS I started w a new tank. Myself I pull the filler neck so I can see that I've got it exactly where I want it. I do not let it get close to empty. Once in a great while when the tank gets close to E I siphon whats left out then slosh in several gallons and siphon again so the heavy debris/water doesn't build up to where it will get drawn into the pipe.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth