04/28/10 09:47 PM
Ohio in the USA
O
Omni Source 1 Offline OP
Omni Source 1  Offline OP
O

Ohio in the USA
Good Day All

Finally got the '68 Bee out for a spin and some fresh gas. (only filled it three times last year).
On the way home from town, whenever you lifted out of the throttle the car acted like the brakes were on.
The car is a 68 Suberbee with a disc brake conversion (Finelines). This was done a couple of years ago. I had problems then with a defective proportioning valve.(The front brakes would not release). The valve was replaced with a O.E. type (non-adjustable).
Tonight, I jacked up the front and attempted to spin the wheels by hand. You could turn rotate them, but not able to spin. I loosened the master cylinder from the vacuum chamber, which removed any load from the push-rod, but the result was the same. I just checked again after the car has sat for a couple of hours. The drivers side will spin, but the passenger side is still tight.
The car has the newer style calipers (single piston), and silicone brake fluid. the hoses feel O.K. (no soft spots or bulges)
Any thoughts as to what is going on?
Thanks to all who respond.

Re: Disc Brake Question [Re: Omni Source 1] #683173
04/28/10 10:09 PM
04/28/10 10:09 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Tonight, I jacked up the front and attempted to spin the wheels by hand. You could turn rotate them, but not able to spin.

that is actually normal to have to bearhug it & get maybe 1/4 turn or less. And they will not spin free. Different calipers do vary in the amt of constant preload they maintain so it's a judgement call but quite a few of them do have alot of constant drag. In a safe situation a person could plug the disc half of the M/C w a brass inverted flare male fitting from the Edelman fitting section at your parts house then knock back the pads until both front sides are free and CAREFULLY take it out w only the rear drums operating and see exactly how much drag the fronts were making. I did have a pass caliper 74 dart that bearhugging it seemed to tight so I got a $15 rebuild caliper and that loosened it up a bit

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Disc Brake Question [Re: Omni Source 1] #683174
04/28/10 11:54 PM
04/28/10 11:54 PM
Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
dave571 Offline
master
dave571  Offline
master

Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
If you can turn it by hand, that isn't the problem.

Keep looking.

Maybe something in the rear. Axle seal leak would cause the brakes to hang up.