D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Quote:

When you and "Chrysler" finally decide to make these bogus sheets available (mark my word it will happen if you do it or someone else does) then we and other Mopar boards will rehash this nonsence all over again and it will only lead to more discourse that this hobby does not need...

You're right.
Chrysler and anyone working on it with Chrysler would only be in it for one reason, $$$$. Nothing good can be said about reproducing Broadcast sheets.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Dave Watt] #681666
04/28/10 09:54 AM
04/28/10 09:54 AM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Georgetown Ontario Canada
Overall I just don't think it's a good idea....if fact I think it's a very bad idea to reproduce Broadcast Sheets.

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: anlauto] #681667
04/28/10 10:03 AM
04/28/10 10:03 AM
Reno, Nevada
NV69B7RR Offline
master
NV69B7RR  Offline
master

Reno, Nevada
Its obvious from the last posting on this that somebody's tooled up and ready go make them, as evidenced by the spools of paper and the printer. Some people see it as a good thing others don't. Its a product/service that you can choose to buy or not. Personally I'd be thrilled to find the sheet for my Demon, but having one reporoduced is not the same. Somebodys going to make them whether theres a poll for it or not. It didn;t take people long start repoping fender tags did it?

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Dave Watt] #681668
04/28/10 10:12 AM
04/28/10 10:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Chrysler and anyone working on it with Chrysler would only be in it for one reason, $$$$.

Well Dave....I would have thought that after reviewing the facts you would have drawn a different conclusion. I did these seven years ago and have sat on them with no need for the money that you assume "anyone" would have done this for. When people make unjustified comments like THAT, it only exposes their personality and what THEY would do in a similar situation. I think what you are actually saying is that YOU would only be in it for the money! Now before you respond and lecture me about how I have no right to judge who you are and what you think .... please remember the "hypocrisy" thread that could be posted somewhere down the road!

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: NV69B7RR] #681669
04/28/10 10:20 AM
04/28/10 10:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Its obvious from the last posting on this that somebody's tooled up and ready go make them, as evidenced by the spools of paper and the printer.

Yes, that was all done seven years ago. I am just extremely slow at bringing things to market. I probably need to contact Chrysler to talk to them about this in greater detail! It shouldn't take maybe another five or six years for me to contact them! Just out of curiosity....what else do some of you think that I will be doing (business related) over the next few years?

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681670
04/28/10 11:19 AM
04/28/10 11:19 AM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Quote:

Quote:

Chrysler and anyone working on it with Chrysler would only be in it for one reason, $$$$.

Well Dave....I would have thought that after reviewing the facts you would have drawn a different conclusion. I did these seven years ago and have sat on them with no need for the money that you assume "anyone" would have done this for. When people make unjustified comments like THAT, it only exposes their personality and what THEY would do in a similar situation. I think what you are actually saying is that YOU would only be in it for the money! Now before you respond and lecture me about how I have no right to judge who you are and what you think .... please remember the "hypocrisy" thread that could be posted somewhere down the road!

Are you for real? You didn't read my quote very well. I wasn't even speaking of you. I said anyone working on it with Chrylser would be in it for the money. I guess if you take offense to that, then that makes you a guilty party. Enough said.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: a12superbee] #681671
04/28/10 11:34 AM
04/28/10 11:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Somebody already does make them. In fact "somebodies" already make them.

Right, that's my point. Brow beating ECS for doing them sure isn't going to stop the others from doing it.
Again, knowing how to spot the differences is going to be the only defense against them.

Actually, there is a way to test them to see if it is fake or not. Its called carbon 14 dating! Its been around for years testing so called legitimate documents.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681672
04/28/10 11:47 AM
04/28/10 11:47 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

....And since he is licensed from Chrysler to make the broadcast sheets, along with his criteria for a customer to obtain a sheet, I could see the sheets as more of a 'reissue' than a reproduction.

Thanks for your post Mark but keep in mind that we are NOT actually licensed to sell these. I want to take the time at this point to explain a few things that pertain to this subject. I also want to address the last post that Barry issued. (For the record, I think very highly of Barry and what he does. We have our differences sometimes but I would help him or anyone else to stop impropriety in our hobby.)

After I made these I approached Chrysler with the idea of offering them as a novelty item. They received EVERYTHING that I had made and said that they could be approved if we would agree on how to keep things in check. They told me to think about a way to do this and submit my ideas for final approval. During that time Dave S. and I talked further about this and decided it would not be good for the hobby. Now lets go back to the year 2002.

In 2002 there were very few people that knew about our company. The first two guys to reach out to me and introduce themselves were Dave Wise and Daniel Banker. I became good friends with these guys. A short time later I met Roger Gibson and he asked if I would consider trying to make accurate VIN decals. (After months of development we came up with the product that many of you guys have purchased over the past few years.) I submitted those items to Chrysler for licensing and they were approved. The first person to actually know about them being for sale was Steve Klein at the 2003 Nationals. I remember how excited he was to see "a closed 4" in the VIN number! One of the first guys to buy a VIN decal was Daniel Banker. He was so pleased with it that he posted pictures of it here on Moparts. The next day I couldn't believe all the calls I had people wanting to buy one BUT a separate group of guys desperately tried to have them taken off the market. What ensued was a ridiculous mess. Chrysler told me that the "guru" tried to have my VIN license stripped because he was concerned about the safety of the industry. He said that my decals would open things up for fraud and the hobby would be ruined! He tried 3 times to have my licensing revoked! Needless to say, we have a very close and solid relationship with Chrysler today!

Well here we are in 2010 and guess what? It didn't ruin the value of your beloved cars and ECS has ALWAYS kept air tight documentation from day one. Many of you who were actually opposed the VINs and feel the same about THIS scenario, ended up purchasing MULTIPLE VIN decals from my company! Go check out the testimonial from Chrysler on our website (www.ecsvin.com - under Vital Info.) It states that: "ECS Automotive Concepts complies with the stringent requirements established by Chrysler for proper verification, record keeping and continuing audit as it relates to the production of replacement VIN Certification decals." THAT IS HOW WE DO EVERYTHING IN OUR COMPANY! I have no intentions of marketing these sheets illegally. If they were to be available (again...no plans to ever do so) I can assure everyone that there would NEVER be any shady practices related whatsoever. I can assure everyone reading this that ECS is above compromising our standards for something that is as insignificance as these reproduction Build-sheets. Please stop worrying about all of this! The only thing that has changed is your guys awareness of it. I had these seven years ago! Prior to last week how many of you felt that our hobby was in "danger" because of this? Did any of you turn your back on Christmas when you learned the reality of Santa Claus and his Elves? Nothing has changed!

DW

Dave, you are probably the biggest Grinch out there! Honestly, I think the Grinch even looks up to you. Let me find a pic of him and maybe we can email it to you and then you can post it on your avatar like you suggested when we talked on the phone. <<<<WARNING---- THE PREVIOUSLY POSTED STUFF WAS INTENDED FOR ENTERTAINMENT ONLY>>>>>> Now, the honest truth about Dave..... he has got to be one of the greatest guys that I know stopping and taking time to talk to anyone in the hobby. The dedication and research that he has done has only helped our hobby that I see, not hurt it. Maybe some of you would settle for crappy reproduction pieces that don't look or fit right. I for one am always tring to improve my cars and not settle for second best. Thankfully, Metro has also taken this adage and brought excellent repro door panels for the E bodys to the market. Now I don't hear anyone flaming them for making a part that is perfect. Granted, it is not a piece of documented paperwork, but as I stated earlier, paperwork can be authenticated by carbon 14 dating, just like any carbon based item can.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: gomangoRTSE] #681673
04/28/10 11:53 AM
04/28/10 11:53 AM
The New Jersey Hinterlands
Sssnake383 Offline OP
Old and boring
Sssnake383  Offline OP
Old and boring

Quote:

As for being licensed by Chrysler, that does not mean it is ethical to reproduce a broadcast sheet, it only means Chrysler has given you their rights to produce something that they did in the past without having to worry about being sued by Chrysler.

The poll isnt neutral based in its wording. Not at all. One can only read the questions to know the poster feels on the subject. That is readily apparant. Reword in a more neutral way then allow the people to vote on it.

1. Should an authorized Chrysler distributor who has been provided legitmate documentation of the original buildsheet be allowed to reproduce that buildsheet, or that buildsheet showing a watermark that determines its reproduction status.

There are alot better ways to neutralize these questions besides wording in a way to get a predetermined answer.

Thats like asking should a person who is convicted of a crime serve jail time. That question is worded to elicit a simple answer YES!

The more informative questionaire would ask.
1. What kind of crime?
2. What was the severity of the crime?
3. Was it under extreme durress?
4. Was it a first time offense?
5. Was it a simple misdomeanor?

What I am saying is the original question of "Should a person convicted of a crime serve jail time?" is simply directed to elicit the answer of yes.

Quote:

you think the availability of "reproduction broadcast sheets" undermines the integrity and reputation of those involved with reproducing them?
Users may choose only one (110 total votes)
Yes
56 51%

No
54 49%

Clearly the sites members are evenly split on this issue. This despite the wording thats intended to elicit a certain response. There is no distinct verdict on this issue. With a 110 members voting its virtually a dead heat. So we gentlemen are at a stand still still. An intrigueiing issue we have here. "

There are no good guys, there are no bad guys, theres just you and me and we just disagree."

I am not a professional poll-maker. I tried to word that question as neutral and unbiased as possible while trying to be general. The question needed to be asked as previous posts indicated that those folks that didn't feel that a repro BS sheet should be made available ALSO felt that a reproducer's integrity and reputation would suffer from their manufacture. And I don't see how the example question of "Should a person convicted of a crime serve jail time?" you used to illustrate your point is related to how I worded the question about repro BC sheets UNLESS you are pre-dispositioned to feel that someone who reproduces BC sheets is committing a criminal, fraudulent, or morally corrupt act? If you DO NOT feel that way (or are NOT so pre-dispositioned) , you'd answer "NO" because you'd feel there is no immoral, criminal, or fraudulant connection in the reproduction of broadcast sheets. The "dead heat" you speak of regarding the poll results I feel proves this and the validity of the question. You could certainly create your own poll thread with wording you find more acceptable (or even add your additional poll questions to this thread) if you feel differently.

I have not opined publicly one way or the other on this subject yet you have me pegged as an adversary. Actually, I think Dave's motives are pretty clear and reasonable here, although I am not so sure about the way he presents his position at times. Unfortunately, other people's motives may not be so clear.

I am not against repro BC sheets if there exists an original, however I am more comfortable with a reproduction sheet that has an identifying watermark or other identifying mark or code or whatever. It is a legitimate concern that we must trust those reproducing broadcast sheets that they would, in fact, only reproduce a sheet if an original exists and that the reproducer would verify this original sheet carefully before making the new broadcast. Heck, if BC sheets ARE to be reproduced I would like a stand-up, trustworthy guy like Dave to make them. At least there appears to be accountability and transparency with Dave and his company. He has stated he has a licensing agreement with Chrysler regarding BC sheets and has said he would only even consider reproducing a broadcast sheet strictly in cases where an original exists.

Dave, have you responded to the pertinent questions regarding the possible making of watermarked/identified reproductions of broadcast sheets or have I missed it? Would you consider reproducing a sheet and adding some identifying characteristic to differentiate it from the original and as a reproduction?

As others have previously said, outright fakes will continue to be made (perhaps by unscrupulous individuals) with or without the intent to defraud but that isn't the topic of this discussion, so I thought.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Dave Watt] #681674
04/28/10 12:02 PM
04/28/10 12:02 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
WOW, everyone here is worse than a bunch of cackling old ladies in their sewing circle. holy crap.

LOOK!

BOTTOM LINE !

IT'S A PIECE OF DOCUMENTATION !

THAT'S IT ! PERIOD !

some cars got them some cars didn't, oh well.

just because this is a "collector's hobby" now doesn't mean anything, they are just cars.
I'm pretty sure documents were swapped, switched and changed all the way back to when that first shady car dealer wanted to make a couple extra bucks. and it's sure gonna happen in the future.
so why would re-creating a document from an original make any difference, it don't. and don't try to tell me it does!

if you lose your birth certificate and you need a copy, does it make you worth anything less? NO

it you lose the deed to your house and you need a copy, does it make it worth anything less? NO

this is starting to get ridiculous

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Dave Watt] #681675
04/28/10 12:04 PM
04/28/10 12:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Are you for real? You didn't read my quote very well. I wasn't even speaking of you. I said anyone working on it with Chrylser would be in it for the money. I guess if you take offense to that, then that makes you a guilty party. Enough said.

Oh....I understand now Dave! You actually meant "Anyone". You were not talking about the normal meaning of "Anyone" as it relates to "ALL" people! You must have been referring to the OTHER people who represent "Anyone". Now keep in mind that throughout this entire thread I am the person that has been under the microscope as it relates to this subject matter but you were not referencing me.....right? NEWSFLASH Dave! I am the main party being talked about in this thread that has been working with Chrysler on the Broadcast Sheets! But you were referencing the other "Anyone" who might be doing this with Chrysler....right?

.....and you felt the need to ask if I am for real?!?! Oh my Lord!!!!

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681676
04/28/10 12:28 PM
04/28/10 12:28 PM
albany ny
05dakota Offline
I Live Here
05dakota  Offline
I Live Here

albany ny
is it lunch time?

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681677
04/28/10 12:31 PM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Quote:

You just answered your own question.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Sssnake383] #681678
Sssnake383 Offline OP
Old and boring
Sssnake383  Offline OP
Old and boring

In response to some legitimate concerns raised by a few previous posters, I thought I'd expand my poll a bit to include these questions.

Would you purchase a reproduction BC sheet that is marked or identified in some manner as a reproduction?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 04/28/10 11:31 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Is reproducing broadcast sheets that are easily identifiable as such and only in cases where an original exists a good idea?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 04/28/10 11:31 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Last edited by Sssnake383; 04/28/10 12:40 PM.
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Sssnake383] #681679
04/28/10 12:58 PM
04/28/10 12:58 PM
USA
B
b54406barrel Offline
master
b54406barrel  Offline
master
B

USA
Geez-Louise, this looks serious! I'll take 2 for my 70 6bbl LA car & I want them to show it has a blue mod top! Too bad these things aren't still just cars like they were when I was buying 'em new.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Sssnake383] #681680
04/28/10 01:04 PM
04/28/10 01:04 PM
San Antonio, TX
CurYellowBird Offline
mopar
CurYellowBird  Offline
mopar

San Antonio, TX
I like the expansion of the poll there snake.

Let me say this in the typical 19 year old mind set that some of you had when you first got into the hobby. And this is how I feel about:

"I'm gonna do what I want, when I want, and how I want. You don't like it, you can go to h*** motherf*****."

I'm known for being blunt, figured it was time to keep it simple. <^>(-_-)<^>

Project War Bird: 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4 speed with air conditioning GY3 Curious yellow All original
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Dave Watt] #681681
04/28/10 01:18 PM
04/28/10 01:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why not use this point in the thread for an intermission? How about some comic relief as it relates to the rationale that has been expressed by some? How about using the Work place and "employee conversation" as our setting!? Here goes:

DAVE: Hey Joe.....anyone who drives a Ford Truck is an idiot!

JOE: Take that back Dave! I drive a Ford Truck!

DAVE: I wasn't even speaking of you Joe. I said anyone who drives a Ford Truck is an idiot!

JOE: Listen to what you are saying Dave! You include me when you say that "anyone" who drives a Ford Truck is an idiot!

DAVE: Are for real Joe? Can you not understand plain English? I wasn't even talking about you! Chill out. I simply said that ANYONE who drives a Ford Truck is an idiot!

JOE: Yeah Dave.....but I drive a Ford Truck....

Can you understand your quote now big Dave?!
"Are you for real? You didn't read my quote very well. I wasn't even speaking of you. I said anyone working on it with Chrylser would be in it for the money."

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681682
04/28/10 01:25 PM
04/28/10 01:25 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
who's on first

what's on second

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681683
04/28/10 01:26 PM
04/28/10 01:26 PM
Wisconsin
wkroncke17 Offline
master
wkroncke17  Offline
master

Wisconsin
This is good stuff.....
Reproduce them Dave, I'll buy one.
I'm about to place an order with you guys soon, as my Coronet is about home from the paint shop.
Thanks for what you do for this hobby.

Wally.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: wkroncke17] #681684
04/28/10 01:27 PM
04/28/10 01:27 PM
San Antonio, TX
CurYellowBird Offline
mopar
CurYellowBird  Offline
mopar

San Antonio, TX
Quote:

This is good stuff.....
Reproduce them Dave, I'll buy one.
I'm about to place an order with you guys soon, as my Coronet is about home from the paint shop.
Thanks for what you do for this hobby.

Wally.

Project War Bird: 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4 speed with air conditioning GY3 Curious yellow All original
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9