04/27/10 12:49 AM
04/27/10 12:49 AM
Cochise County Arizona
SPWC Offline OP
master
SPWC  Offline OP
master

Cochise County Arizona
Was driving my 73 Dodge D200 around last fall,maybe for a week when I first got it.I parked it about a week after I got it,as it was running rough and I didnt want to mess with it at the time.I was going through the truck recently and came across the fact that my gasket for the brake master cylinder was all kinds of torn up.

This fact led me to believe that this vehicle had been driven like this for who knows how long and that the master cylinder didnt have a tight seal and likely sucked air into the system

I got a new seal,installed it and bled the master cylinder on the vehicle. I had my daughter help me bleed the wheels.

I started the truck up to take it for a test drive and first thing I see is that the brake warning light is glowing(on).I also noticed the brakes didnt function very well.

I drove the truck through the neighborhood and into my alley where I needed to unload something. I left the truck idling in PARK while I unloaded my stuff.I got back in the truck and noticed the brake warning light was off,and now my truck stops on a dime.

How could the truck just go from having the brake warning light on and poor brakes,to having hair trigger brakes with the brake warning light off,just by sitting and idling a few minutes.

Could I have had a stuck brake proportioning valve? Dont get me wrong,Im happy the truck stops properly now but im puzzled as to how this occurred in this manner.

Any thoughts? Should I attempt to rebleed the wheels?

Re: What just happened with my brakes? [Re: SPWC] #681430
04/27/10 12:57 AM
04/27/10 12:57 AM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline
Why would you even post that?

So Cal
Probably

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: What just happened with my brakes? [Re: SPWC] #681431
04/27/10 01:09 AM
04/27/10 01:09 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
An old timer once said if your brakes are bad, all you really need is a manual transmission and a loud horn.
Your symptoms are odd. I have had a soft pedal with new brake pads that stiffened up as the pad material compressed, but your situation .... It will be interesting to see what others write.

Re: What just happened with my brakes? [Re: Kern Dog] #681432
04/27/10 01:42 AM
04/27/10 01:42 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Likely an air bubble in the M/C found it's way through the fluid port... The engine heat & slight vibration from the engine may have been just enough to cause it to move... That wouldn't cause the light to go out but as soon as you hit the brakes one time now there would be equal hydraulic pressure on both sides of the safety switch so the spool valve would center & the light would go out.... This is why they tell you to bench bleed a master cylinder... It's very hard to push an air bubble out of a master cylinder through the fluid passage & brake lines it can hang in the fluid chamber causing a spongy pedal... It's not uncommon for a bubble to clear itself by floating out through the fluid in the M/C reservoir but it will only do this when the brake pedal is fully up uncovering the passages from the reservoir to the fluid chambers of the M/C...

Re: What just happened with my brakes? [Re: SPWC] #681433
04/27/10 06:25 AM
04/27/10 06:25 AM
indiana
M
mcmopars Offline
super stock
mcmopars  Offline
super stock
M

indiana
Quote:

Was driving my 73 Dodge D200 around last fall,maybe for a week when I first got it.I parked it about a week after I got it,as it was running rough and I didnt want to mess with it at the time.I was going through the truck recently and came across the fact that my gasket for the brake master cylinder was all kinds of torn up.

This fact led me to believe that this vehicle had been driven like this for who knows how long and that the master cylinder didnt have a tight seal and likely sucked air into the system

hows the vibration?

I got a new seal,installed it and bled the master cylinder on the vehicle. I had my daughter help me bleed the wheels.

I started the truck up to take it for a test drive and first thing I see is that the brake warning light is glowing(on).I also noticed the brakes didnt function very well.

I drove the truck through the neighborhood and into my alley where I needed to unload something. I left the truck idling in PARK while I unloaded my stuff.I got back in the truck and noticed the brake warning light was off,and now my truck stops on a dime.

How could the truck just go from having the brake warning light on and poor brakes,to having hair trigger brakes with the brake warning light off,just by sitting and idling a few minutes.

Could I have had a stuck brake proportioning valve? Dont get me wrong,Im happy the truck stops properly now but im puzzled as to how this occurred in this manner.

Any thoughts? Should I attempt to rebleed the wheels?

Re: What just happened with my brakes? [Re: SPWC] #681434
03/03/11 07:51 PM
03/03/11 07:51 PM
SW PA
C
chett Offline
chett  Offline
C

SW PA
I am having no luck trying to find a brake proportioning or metering valve for my 1984 Dodge B front 250 VAN.

Also do not know if it has a distribution valve separate or integral.

Please advise as to possible contacts on this subject and include any tech info you think I WILL NEED IN YOUR ANSWER.
I have also been asked to determine if mine is a B 1,2 Or 3 fro correct application.

Re: What just happened with my brakes? [Re: SPWC] #681435
03/03/11 09:43 PM
03/03/11 09:43 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

master cylinder didnt have a tight seal and likely sucked air into the system
I got a new seal,installed it and bled the master.I also noticed the brakes didnt function very well. Any thoughts?

You mean the M/C neoprene seal under the lid?, that keeps br fluid from absorbing moisture from the atmosphere over a period of time and obviously stops spillage but does not affect air in the lines. Define didn't function very well. I'd drive easy/light around the block for a few days and right now check underneath for any leaks & I think you're good but post how they were acting (b4 the miracle).

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: What just happened with my brakes? [Re: RapidRobert] #681436
03/03/11 09:54 PM
03/03/11 09:54 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
the brake light is normal...during bleeding, you end up moving the safety switch because as one wheel cylinder is open, you release all pressure in that half of the system, but still have pressure in the other half...so when bleeding the rears, the rear has zero pressure, the front has brake pressure because it's all sealed up still. this makes the safety switch THINK there is a leak, and will trigger the brake warning light, until you use the brakes, and with pressure in both halves of the system, center out the safety switch.

as for the soft/spongy pedal that's now firm...could have been air that bubbled up like already said, or with the pressure released from the brake system, your brake shoe return springs pulled them all the way back in, fully compressing the wheel cylinders, and your pedal was spongy until you pumped the brakes and re-filled them.

Remember--drums have a residual pressure valve to prevent this, otherwise the return springs would pull the shoes all the way back in, fully compressing and draining the wheel cylinders--opening the bleeder screw would bypass the residual pressure valve, which is normally located up in the master or in the distribution block

good for a race car...bad for street driving!

Last edited by 70Cuda383; 03/03/11 09:58 PM.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: What just happened with my brakes? [Re: RapidRobert] #681437
03/03/11 10:08 PM
03/03/11 10:08 PM
Maryland
GO_Fish Offline
master
GO_Fish  Offline
master

Maryland
Quote:

Quote:

master cylinder didnt have a tight seal and likely sucked air into the system
I got a new seal,installed it and bled the master.I also noticed the brakes didnt function very well. Any thoughts?

You mean the M/C neoprene seal under the lid?, that keeps br fluid from absorbing moisture from the atmosphere over a period of time and obviously stops spillage but does not affect air in the lines.

Should not affect air in the lines unless the fluid sloshed out enough to get really low and uncover the ports in the floor of the master cylinder.

You need to flush all the old brake fluid out, regardless, to get the moisture out of there. Otherwise your system will seize up from the water in the fluid and you'll be in there again. Check your wheel cylinder/ caliper function, one or more may already be seized. My '68 had poor braking, and found that the rear brake cylinders looked new on the outside, but both had froze solid with no rear brake function.

Scott B. "I'm a self-made man... I started with nothing, and I still have most of it!" 68 360 rusty B'cuda 'vert (GO Fish)13.59@ 98.72 mph 69 340 GTS stock 14.18@ 95.60 mph 01 5.9L Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 01 3.5L 300M 16.23@ 86.97 mph