Kentucky, USA
D
derekeh Offline OP
mopar
derekeh  Offline OP
mopar
D

Kentucky, USA
Have a big block 727 that slips when it kicks down. Ive been told that I should adjust the kickdown band to see if that cures it. Ive read various places that this needs to be 72 inch pounds but I do not have an inch pounds torque wrench and all of the ones I do find only go down to 120 or so. Is their a way to adjust this finger tight or something and it work alright? Just curious.

Re: Adjusting kickdown band [Re: derekeh] #675871
04/20/10 06:07 PM
04/20/10 06:07 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
yes 72 inch pounds and back off 2 turns,hold the adjuster and tighten the lock nut

72inch/lbs = 6 foot/lbs...IIRC

try a small 3/8 foot/lbs torque wrench

you can do it with a 5/16 open end wrench,just snug it up good by hand...not hard as you can but good and snug

or a 5/15 8 point socket and 1/4" drive ratchet by hand only..same thing snug it down good and back it off,lock it down

back off 2 turns and lock it down

yes this may help the slipping when it kicks down

may want to dump the fluid and replace filter and check pan for metal shavings/sludge,some is normal

adjust the low/rev band while the pans off,same thing 72 inch/lbs or good and snug by hand,back off 2 turns lock it down

should do both bands IMHO,so ones not out of specs while the other is tight

looking at the pan to see if there is a lot of shavings would be good to do at this time to see how much it is worn

the fluid could be burnt also.dark and smeels burnt so a good refill will help

use some type F fluid

the kickdown band adjuster is on the outside above the shift levers

the low/rev is in the rear in the pan

should be a regular service when pan is off on heavy duty or service vehicals..cop cars,cabs,trucks