04/22/10 09:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I don't think anyone is buying a body shell, cool-whip container of bolts and a broadcast sheet and smiling on their way home that they just scored $$$! lol.

Don't be so sure! I can tell you that I know for a fact, one of the "big" names in the Hobby had a car(?) that was LITERALLY delivered in the back of a pickup truck, CERTIFIED as a matching numbers vehicle because it had a Build sheet with the PARTS! Now can anyone explain to me how THAT is any less ethical than having a "fake" build sheet made that is technically accurate/correct for the car it was intended to represent?!?!?! Who deemed this form of hypocrisy as an accepted means for documenting cars?

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet #672097
04/22/10 09:27 PM
04/22/10 09:27 PM
Mid-Atlantic
S
Scatransit Offline
mopar
Scatransit  Offline
mopar
S

Mid-Atlantic
Your right, an original build sheet does not change the "...reality of what a car is...".

It does, however, establish the reality of its value.

[oo]======[oo]
Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: Scatransit] #672098
04/22/10 09:31 PM
04/22/10 09:31 PM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

Your right, an original build sheet does not change the "...reality of what a car is...".

Well said

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: Scatransit] #672099
04/22/10 09:36 PM
04/22/10 09:36 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
Quote:

Actually it can.

Case in point.....

Car gets bought with the fender tag missing & no documentation at all. It gets "restored" with a fake tag & optioned up.

An original broadcast sheet is found in another car, thus proving the tag was a fake & liberties were taken.

Which "reality" is real?

It has happened a few times. If the current owner did that tag, no sheet for them.

If they owner got taken & bought it that way, the tag gets destroyed before they get the sheet.

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: anlauto] #672100
04/22/10 09:37 PM
04/22/10 09:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

That's a load of crap....
Those documents metioned won't tell you carb numbers, shock part numbers, colour of the steering column...ETC...ETC...ETC...ETC...ETC...ETC...ETC...ETC...ETC...ETC...

If you knew how to read the items of the documents that I mentioned Alan, you wouldn't embarrass yourself by making such ignorant statements. Where will you find the HB code on a build-sheet? What about the list# of the car? How about the actual production date of the vehicle? Things like the "carb" codes can be found in any assembly manual Alan. Can the assembly manual tell you the correct Zone code for your Barrel Cuda? What about an EP Ignition code or the ES key codes? Where does your build-sheet tell you all of that Alan?. You can think its a load of "crap" but I will blow you in the dirt any day of the week with the literature I have access to for documenting a vehicle WITHOUT A BROADCAST SHEET. Do yourself a favor and "know" the facts before you ignorantly dismiss something and embarrass yourself publicly!

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: Scatransit] #672101
04/22/10 09:40 PM
04/22/10 09:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Reality does not define value. The price someone is willing to pay only serves as a temporary guideline for the "value".

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: Alaskan_TA] #672102
04/22/10 09:49 PM
04/22/10 09:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Car gets bought with the fender tag missing & no documentation at all. It gets "restored" with a fake tag & optioned up.

Which "reality" is real?

Once again the car didn't change! The "reality" of understanding the condition of the car, in relation to what should be, is what the Broadcast sheet has allowed. It provides a starting point for the buyer to do and spend whatever it takes to make it representative of what the build sheet conveys! This of course is what makes it beneficial. It once again takes on it's original role as a build/component informational guide!

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: anlauto] #672103
04/22/10 09:53 PM
04/22/10 09:53 PM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Dave you need to re-read what you wrote...
" It tells EVERYTHING and MUCH MORE than the Broadcast Sheet"

I agree it tells you a lot more but the window sticker will not tell you EVERYTHING and more. It will tell you a lot of info that is not on the BCS as you mentioned but it does not incude all the info that is found on a BCS....

Yes you can find out the correct carb numbers in other manuals and such but how can you prove your car was BUILT with the carb a manual says? Only the BCS can tell you that info and more, a lot more.

I'm not alone in this thread....

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet #672104
04/22/10 09:55 PM
04/22/10 09:55 PM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

" I will blow you in the dirt any day" Not sure I understand that, but it sure doesn't sound nice

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: anlauto] #672105
04/22/10 10:04 PM
04/22/10 10:04 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

" I will blow you in the dirt any day" Not sure I understand that, but it sure doesn't sound nice

Hey!...what happens in the "sandbox", stays in the "sandbox"

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: anlauto] #672106
04/22/10 10:07 PM
04/22/10 10:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

.....how can you prove your car was BUILT with the carb a manual says? Only the BCS can tell you that info and more, a lot more.
I'm not alone in this thread....

There you go again Alan! Nothing on a Broadcast sheet is a guarantee for what actually came on ANY car. I am sure that I don't have access to the Automobile information that you do but I am fairly confident that original vehicles I have documented had contradictions between their factory parts and the Broadcast Sheet. You make a mistake on the Invoice or the Monroney label and you are facing possible prison time! Make a mistake or substitute a part from the Broadcast sheet and all you get is a car with a variant part. Big Deal!! Would you care to guess which criteria is viewed as "more important" or critical with regards to quality control?

For the record Alan I don't get my information from the masses or from cowering down to peer pressure. I do my research, correctly investigate and collect the facts. I just confidently smile and go about my business when I am told that I am full of "crap." The reality of my work is never hindered by the incorrect assessments of others!

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet #672107
04/22/10 10:58 PM
04/22/10 10:58 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Quote:

Quote:

...Finding the broadcast sheet changed everything......So did getting the broadcast sheet change things. Yes!!!.

With all due respect, you have confused your sense of awareness with reality. The vehicle did not change! Your AWARENESS of the vehicle changed. You still had to "do" or "undo" whatever stage the vehicle was in at that particular time. Unless you own the real version of the car "CHRISTINE", I doubt that IT did anything to "change" what it was!

As far as the "gum wrapper" scenario, it is quite accurate. Both (broadcast sheets & gum wrappers) were a means to facilitate an end result for the MAIN PRODUCT. The Broadcast Sheets were "trash" once they served their purpose the same as the gum wrapper. Once you removed it...it became trash! Don't get me wrong. Both are important UNTIL they have served their purpose. Once again you have attempted to rationalize your perception of importance to explain the reality of the situation. Broadcast Sheets were NEVER considered an important piece of documentation by the Factory AFTER they served their purpose.

You don't like the gum wrapper analogy...how about this one? How many of us have ever assembled a Bar-B-Que Pit? Those instructions are VERY important during the build process are they not? What happens to them after the assembly is complete? Do you guys frame and laminate the Bar-B-Que Pit "build instructions" and keep them as a sacred piece of documentation? I doubt that anybody does. The Build Sheets were the same thing for the assembly line workers. Nothing more than a list of instructions on how to assemble the vehicle! After that.....throw them away!!! It is the Hobby that has made Build Sheets the sacred icons that they have become today.

I do not agree AT ALL that the Broadcast Sheet was intended to be trashed after the car was built. If it was, then why were they placed in the seat springs and taped to the back of the glove box and elsewhere? They were placed there by the line workers on purpose, not "accidentily" thrown into the seat springs. Have you ever talked with a line worker from back in the day about this, I have and they do not share your view at all!

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: reproduction broadcast sheet #672108
04/22/10 11:00 PM
04/22/10 11:00 PM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
After chewing the gum for about 40 years, a gum collector might find the gum wrapper useful in determining the original size, shape, flavor, and brand of the gum.

Then he could add a little of the correct color, and try to smooth it back out to its original shape.

Food for thought?

(I understand what you're saying Dave, just couldn't resist sharing this amusing thought.)

Tav

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: DAYCLONA] #672109
04/22/10 11:10 PM
04/22/10 11:10 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
after reading through all this, documentation is documentation. the US Constitution IS this country's documentation, and is part of out history. just like any documentation on a car is part of that car's history. garbage or not garbage. weather or not it makes the car worth any more, is up to the buyer and seller.

i have the original fender tag, BC, 340 engine, 4sp trans, and dealer sales invoice for my 72 Challenger. i have good documentation on my car but does it make it worth more? only to the person who want's the car when I'm selling it.

don't reproduce documents and pass them off a original. that's just bad taste.

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: joelson6] #672110
04/23/10 12:37 AM
04/23/10 12:37 AM
Strathroy, Ontario
BS27R1B Offline
master
BS27R1B  Offline
master

Strathroy, Ontario
Original window stickers are great but very very very few survived long with a car.
Most were removed and 'trashed' by the dealer before delivery to the customer. I would suggest that far more window stickers found their way to the trash can than Broadcast Sheets.

Just think about it. How many of us have been delivered the original window sticker with any car they have bought? Old or new?

And as far as the dealer invoice, they certainly are far fewer than the original window sticker.

I have owned many cars that had their Broadcast Sheet. I have owned several cars that did not have their sheet when I bought them but ended up with their original sheet at some point.

I have owned less than 10 cars that had their original wind sticker and less than 6 that had a factory invoice.

I agree they are great but the chances of having them make them a little icing on the cake. No more.

I do not need a sheet to be present to buy a car but there are many, many buyers out there that keep on looking if there is no sheet.

I can also see the point that there have been cars built from a sheet or fender tag. I would not promote these activities and have been vocal on this issue many times.

There are many variables to consider when purchasing a car and while documentation is important it is down the list a little for me. I look at documentation as a bonus.

AS far as creating any documantation for a car I do not understand the logic.
Is there some inadequacy an owner feels if their's is missing?

Or is the a need to alter the past?

'.. it was long ago and it was far away, and it was so much better than it is today..'
Jim Steinman
Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: Rhinodart] #672111
04/23/10 01:01 AM
04/23/10 01:01 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I do not agree AT ALL that the Broadcast Sheet was intended to be trashed after the car was built. If it was, then why were they placed in the seat springs and taped to the back of the glove box and elsewhere? They were placed there by the line workers on purpose, not "accidentily" thrown into the seat springs. Have you ever talked with a line worker from back in the day about this, I have and they do not share your view at all!

Rather than be me bore everyone else with redundancy Jim, you might go back and see the explanations given for employees discarding the Broadcast Sheets in the manner that they did. Does anyone have any idea how many Broadcast Sheets came with a particular vehicle? There were as many as 60 of these instruction sheets that were manufactured with a car. EVERY item and assembly station had a Build Sheet that specified the part that was suppose to be installed on a vehicle. Using your rationale Jim, if they were meant to be kept, where did the other 55 (give or take a few) end up? Were some line workers under a different set of rules and told that they could discard them while others were told that they were "important documents" NOT to be discarded? (And yes Jim I have bi-yearly meetings with some of the top brass at Chrysler in Auburn Hills and make it a point to ask about the old days at Chrysler. I am sure you don't consider that as reliable as your information sources but at least it keeps me humored and occupied while I am there.)

Lets do something a little different and use some common sense as it pertains to the subject matter. If you look at ALL the places that are continuously referenced for finding Broadcast Sheets, what is the one thing that they all have in common? Thats right! They are areas that made it easy for the employees to hide them with minimal effort. Where is just ONE original photo showing cars that were plastered with Broadcast Sheets all over the assembled parts? Why don't people find them taped to the steering wheel? Why not taped to the wheel covers? Why didn't they get taped on the rear package tray or rear window defroster units? Why weren't they found on the radio or dome light or air conditioner controls or seat belts or electric window controls, or the visible side of the headliner, etc....! The reason why? They were meant to be discarded after the employees followed their "call out" instructions for the parts that were used during assembly. It was easy for certain workers to "hide" them with minimal effort. If you installed the carpet....throw it under the padding and move to the next car! Do you think that the workers thought the inspectors would rip it up during inspection to see what might be under there? If you believe THAT, then you would have to assume that the final inspection consisted of tearing the entire car apart! The workers didn't have to walk to their trash containers or worry about their work stations over flowing with hundreds of these instruction sheets. Bill Embree said that some guys teased each other about having to "properly" throw them away while others got off easy by being able to "hide" them!

And what about the LA plant? Were those workers completely insubordinate and decided to just about throw everyone away? When I asked the reason you didn't find them in LA vehicles, I was told they operated under a very strict assembly line "cleanliness" code. I guess Doug Craig of Chrysler must have just flat out lied to me!

It appears that our sources have completely different views as to how things were done on the assembly line Jim! Just for the record, I can assure you that I do not fabricate fictitious stories and then proceed to substantiate them with imaginary testimonies. You would be surprised how many people will concoct theories in an an attempt to just be "right" while involved in these debates.

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: BS27R1B] #672112
04/23/10 01:06 AM
04/23/10 01:06 AM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
I have a broadcast sheet and the dealer's Bill of Sale for my car. The BOS is written to look just like a window sticker. The BOS does not tell me everything that the BC sheet tells me. The Lynch Road fender tag does not have all the info on it...like what radio. Also, some fender tag reproducers will put whatever option you want on one except for motor and trans combo. The BC sheet is a valuable piece of information to help restore and authenticate your car. I think A34HPAxle is correct in saying it adds reality to the value. For a completely rotisserie restored car, the BC sheet is like having some of the original DNA for the car. It's definitely something that should not be reproduced (faked)! A reproduction BC sheet would not help me decide to buy a car. It would be embarassing to display it.

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: cataclysm80] #672113
04/23/10 01:12 AM
04/23/10 01:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

After chewing the gum for about 40 years, a gum collector might find the gum wrapper useful in determining the original size, shape, flavor, and brand of the gum.

Then he could add a little of the correct color, and try to smooth it back out to its original shape.

Food for thought?

Hey Tav! Your analogy is actual a perfect comparison. Forty years after the fact, the wrappers might be used for your illustrated purpose! I wonder however.....what was the purpose of the wrapper when it was made 40 years ago? A very similar analogy to the Broadcast Sheets indeed.

Come to think of it....do you think that stamps in a Stamp Collection are being used for the purpose in which they were manufactured?

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: RoadRunnerJD] #672114
04/23/10 01:19 AM
04/23/10 01:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I think A34HPAxle is correct in saying it adds value

I believe that EVERYONE who has said that it adds "value" is correct! However, the absence of one does not automatically deem a car worthless or of less "value".

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet #672115
04/23/10 01:29 AM
04/23/10 01:29 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Rather than be me bore everyone else with redundancy Jim, you might go back and see the explanations given for employees discarding the Broadcast Sheets in the manner that they did. Does anyone have any idea how many Broadcast Sheets came with a particular vehicle? There were as many as 60 of these instruction sheets that were manufactured with a car. EVERY item and assembly station had a Build Sheet that specified the part that was suppose to be installed on a vehicle. Using your rationale Jim, if they were meant to be kept, where did the other 55 (give or take a few) end up? Were some line workers under a different set of rules and told that they could discard them while others were told that they were "important documents" NOT to be discarded? (And yes Jim I have bi-yearly meetings with some of the top brass at Chrysler in Auburn Hills and make it a point to ask about the old days at Chrysler. I am sure you don't consider that as reliable as your information sources but at least it keeps me humored and occupied while I am there.)

Lets do something a little different and use some common sense as it pertains to the subject matter. If you look at ALL the places that are continuously referenced for finding Broadcast Sheets, what is the one thing that they all have in common? Thats right! They are areas that made it easy for the employees to hide them with minimal effort. Where is just ONE original photo showing cars that were plastered with Broadcast Sheets all over the assembled parts? Why don't people find them taped to the steering wheel? Why not taped to the wheel covers? Why didn't they get taped on the rear package tray or rear window defroster units? Why weren't they found on the radio or dome light or air conditioner controls or seat belts or electric window controls, or the visible side of the headliner, etc....! The reason why? They were meant to be discarded after the employees followed their "call out" instructions for the parts that were used during assembly. It was easy for certain workers to "hide" them with minimal effort. If you installed the carpet....throw it under the padding and move to the next car! Do you think that the workers thought the inspectors would rip it up during inspection to see what might be under there? If you believe THAT, then you would have to assume that the final inspection consisted of tearing the entire car apart! The workers didn't have to walk to their trash containers or worry about their work stations over flowing with hundreds of these instruction sheets. Bill Embree said that some guys teased each other about having to "properly" throw them away while others got off easy by being able to "hide" them!

And what about the LA plant? Were those workers completely insubordinate and decided to just about throw everyone away? When I asked the reason you didn't find them in LA vehicles, I was told they operated under a very strict assembly line "cleanliness" code.

For some that may be interested the Winged Warriors/Superbird-B Body Owners site has a few excerps from "current" interveiws with Ex Chrysler line workers/supervisors from the 60-70's

example:

5942102-bs1.JPG (120 downloads)
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12