Glenolden, PA
E
enigma Offline OP
mopar addict
enigma  Offline OP
mopar addict
E

Glenolden, PA
Haven't posted ofr good long while, cuz i haven't worked on my car in a good long while, but anywho, here goes-
I gotta relocate my rear springs inboard for tire fitment, and i was wondering if it would be worth it for me to sell my practically unmolested 8-3/4(only welded tabs on it for the disc brake conversion from dr diff) and put out the coin for a dana 60 of some kind. Would the 8-3/4 be worth more with the spring perches factory, or have i already ruined it by welding the tabs. I have a brace for it, and was thinking about putting it on, but i dunno if i may be better served by selling it to a resto guy, and just going to a dana.
Anyone have any input on this.
BTW, i was planning on big power, but for now i am just gonna patch up the 318 till i get the body straight, cage installed, and suspension done.

2001 Quad Cab Worked 4.7, 13.87 @97mph. BOO-Yah http://www.dragtruk.com/ENTRIES/4BLHIRM51TZS.html 1970 Plymouth duster, Mini-tub in works, 428 R3 build started 1991 Eagle Talon AWD TSI, daily driver 13 sec beater with brok tranny
Re: Rear End [Re: enigma] #668581
04/13/10 05:59 PM
04/13/10 05:59 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
The A body 8.75 seems to go for upwards of $600 on the west cost Drum to drum with a peg leg diff. Many enthusiasts are keen to the B body axle swap. A 66-70 B axle can still be found every now and then at the local self serve wrecking yards for under $100. Moving perches isn't costly. 67-69 Barracudas, 70-76 Duster/Demon/Dart Sport models actually benefit from the wider axle. True numbers guys will be more willing to spend for a correct housing, but I think that they are outnumbered by enthusiasts trying to save a few bucks. I have tried to sell "Correct" parts at swap meets in Nor CA, and nobody seemed to want to step up.

Re: Rear End [Re: Kern Dog] #668582
04/13/10 09:10 PM
04/13/10 09:10 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
leave the stock A-body perches on the 43" centers

weld another set on inboard (if they are not in the way)

they can be removed to go back to stock A-body specs

I have never been able to afford an A-body housing..but have had B-C ones cut down to A-body specs for less than the going rate it seems most times

any more I grab any housing and axles I can get

just to have them for a cut down if need be

doing the home work pays off

i found that an A-body 8 3/4 will bolt in a 85 truck and tuck 12" rims under the fenders by tubbing the bed to the frame rails and useing stock car shock plates and u-bolts

all depends on what your doing with them as far as size IMO

the B-body housing in a 85 truck will tuck 10s in there also

IMHO that just made an A-body worth more as its got another use on a more modern chassis

use another and throw it over in the corner..you may use it in a truck some day

i did cause I had it

went and bought the truck just to put it into

I would not molest a true stock A-body 8 3/4 with the 1 3/4" brakes thats uncut...but finding some one that will buy it is another story

there are plenty that no one wants to cut down and use more modern axle flange/brake combo on