OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
David_Trimble  Offline OP
super stock
D

OK
My '69 Charger once had front disks, but for some reason had been switched to drums many years ago. I know this because I had found (thru the help of Moparts.com) that my current master cylinder/power booster were meant for disks- plus I still have the factory proportioning valve that was only used in a disk setup.

I've been thinking of doing the disk conversion outlined here on the board but one of the members of the local Mopar club that I'm in had mentioned to me that he has a '70 Coronet parts car with factory disks. While it's missing the rotors and calipers, it does have the steering knuckles- and I found that I can get rebuilt calipers and disks at Autozone.

So my question - can a '69 Charger run front disks off a '70 Coronet?

Thanks!
David

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: '70 Coronet disks on '69 Charger? [Re: David_Trimble] #665471
04/09/10 07:06 PM
04/09/10 07:06 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

sure can.

Re: '70 Coronet disks on '69 Charger? [Re: Andrewh] #665472
04/09/10 09:52 PM
04/09/10 09:52 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
so it's a straight bolt in? From what I understand, the '69 B-bodies had the 4-piston calipers- from what I saw online for the '70 Coronet, it uses a 2-piston? I heard that there were problems with the 4-piston (possibly the reason why my Charger was converted to drum?), I take it Chrysler corrected that in 1970 with this version?

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: '70 Coronet disks on '69 Charger? [Re: David_Trimble] #665473
04/10/10 09:30 AM
04/10/10 09:30 AM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline
master
Pool Fixer  Offline
master

Coram, NY
I think the big reason, besides scarcity of donor parts, for doing the A body spindle/single piston caliper swap is that the replacement rotors and calipers are very cheap.

Are you sure this coronet donor has multiple piston calipers? I did the Mopar action disc brake swap on my charger many years ago and I remember going in telling them to give me calipers for a 70 charger. They were single piston, pin type calipers.

If you can, i'd stick with the single piston calipers unless your going aftermarket wilwood/pbr, etc... for a serious autox/racecar.

....which may be possible if the calipers for those coronet spindles are what I thought. If not, i'd be hunting for the A/F/J/M spindle & adapter combo.

Re: '70 Coronet disks on '69 Charger? [Re: Pool Fixer] #665474
04/10/10 10:35 AM
04/10/10 10:35 AM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Quote:

I think the big reason, besides scarcity of donor parts, for doing the A body spindle/single piston caliper swap is that the replacement rotors and calipers are very cheap.

Are you sure this coronet donor has multiple piston calipers? I did the Mopar action disc brake swap on my charger many years ago and I remember going in telling them to give me calipers for a 70 charger. They were single piston, pin type calipers.

If you can, i'd stick with the single piston calipers unless your going aftermarket wilwood/pbr, etc... for a serious autox/racecar.

....which may be possible if the calipers for those coronet spindles are what I thought. If not, i'd be hunting for the A/F/J/M spindle & adapter combo.

For '69s I understand that the 4-piston calipers were used. When I looked up rebuilt calipers for '70 Coronets I was shown 1-piston calipers (I think I posted '2-piston' previously, that's incorrect), so I assumed that there was a change in design that year. You can see the rebuilt calipers I was looking at Here
But I'm going for a stock setup so the 1-piston variety would be fine with me. While of course it wouldn't be concours-correct, I would think a 70 B-body disk setup would be closer to a original '69 setup than the disk conversion setup (and certainly better than the 10" drums that I've got right now)....

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: '70 Coronet disks on '69 Charger? [Re: David_Trimble] #665475
04/10/10 10:49 AM
04/10/10 10:49 AM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline
master
Pool Fixer  Offline
master

Coram, NY
Quote:

Quote:

For '69s I understand that the 4-piston calipers were used. When I looked up rebuilt calipers for '70 Coronets I was shown 1-piston calipers (I think I posted '2-piston' previously, that's incorrect), so I assumed that there was a change in design that year. You can see the rebuilt calipers I was looking at Here
But I'm going for a stock setup so the 1-piston variety would be fine with me. While of course it wouldn't be concours-correct, I would think a 70 B-body disk setup would be closer to a original '69 setup than the disk conversion setup (and certainly better than the 10" drums that I've got right now)....

gotcha...so my memory is better than I thought cause those calipers you pictured are the same as what I have. Going back yet again to what I remember from the mopar action article, I think that the problem you will have now is rotors. I seem to remember that late 60's and maybe 70 used a two piece rotor. probably expensive and said to warp easily. I used the one piece 11.75 rotors and the slightly bigger caliper brackets required to clear them. I think your issue will be that the later, cheaper, bigger, one piece rotors may not fit on those spindles. and then theres the caliper brackets.

After an accident last year, I needed a spindle. I had previousely put the A body spindles on my 68 charger. I was offered a set of 69 charger spindles for free but asked on moparts and was told they would not work with my rotors and/or caliper adapters.

IMHO, i'd rather buck up now a little more for the more common A/f/j/m spindles & rotor & adapter combo now and know i'd save money and hassles with replacement parts later

then there's the cost factor of the parts you were offered already. that plays into it too.

Re: '70 Coronet disks on '69 Charger? [Re: Pool Fixer] #665476
04/10/10 10:58 AM
04/10/10 10:58 AM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline
master
Pool Fixer  Offline
master

Coram, NY
oh...and as far as closer to original, visually..if you're using the single piston calipers anyway, you won't even see the f/j/m/a spindle and adapter once installed..

speaking of which, when I first starting taking my charger to the local cruises, I overheard some tommytoolbox comment to his buddy about my disc brakes with a sneer that "those aren't stock"

You think? maybe? did the 16" wheels, chrome bla bla bla under the hood tip you off that stock isn't on my menu mr wizard? lol

Re: '70 Coronet disks on '69 Charger? [Re: Pool Fixer] #665477
04/10/10 12:54 PM
04/10/10 12:54 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
I remember reading about the difference in (I believe it was) the inner bearing sizes between years, and that the rotors you get now are for the larger bearings which the older disk-B bodies didn't have. When I checked for rotors, I found one version at Autozone for $75 and one at NAPA for $150 (!). I thought that maybe the Autozone ones would fit but it'd be my luck that I'd need the expensive ones- and if that's the case then this type swap wouldn't be worth it. Can anyone out there confirm this about the different bearing sizes?

Quote:

speaking of which, when I first starting taking my charger to the local cruises, I overheard some tommytoolbox comment to his buddy about my disc brakes with a sneer that "those aren't stock"

You think? maybe? did the 16" wheels, chrome bla bla bla under the hood tip you off that stock isn't on my menu mr wizard? lol

moron.... must've been a chebby guy...

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: '70 Coronet disks on '69 Charger? [Re: David_Trimble] #665478
04/10/10 08:06 PM
04/10/10 08:06 PM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline
master
Pool Fixer  Offline
master

Coram, NY
when I first did the swap, I bought spindles that were already taken off a car. the guy said they were 73-76 a body. I swapped everything over and the bearings listed in the mopar action article were the right size for the rotors but way huge for my spindles....I got it to work by using correct inner wheel bearings for front drum 68 charger of all things? After, I found a set of real A body spindles and the mopar action listed bearings worked... so maybe you can use the later rotors on those 70 B body disc spindles by reusing your inner bearings from drum spindles. that's such a shot in the dark though. it's assuming many many things....

Re: '70 Coronet disks on '69 Charger? [Re: Pool Fixer] #665479
04/10/10 09:06 PM
04/10/10 09:06 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Well, I was over at the guy's house just now looking at the Coronet and it turns out that the rotors are still on it, but the calipers are definately missing (including the mtg hardware- that might be a problem to find ) The rotor looks pretty rusty so I doubt it'll be usable, but I at least have the rotors and bearings to use for comparison for replacements.

I'll check with Autozone and NAPA to see if they can't get information as to what kind/size of bearings are required for their rotors.

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: '70 Coronet disks on '69 Charger? [Re: David_Trimble] #665480
04/10/10 10:29 PM
04/10/10 10:29 PM
ontario calif
N
ns1aar Offline
super stock
ns1aar  Offline
super stock
N

ontario calif
If the Charger doesn't have a sway bar it will work.However if it does have a sway bar the calipers will hit the tabs on the lower control arms.If you want the sway bar you would need to swap the lower control arms sway bar and k frame from the 70.All these parts are a direct bolt in.

NS1AAR
Re: '70 Coronet disks on '69 Charger? [Re: ns1aar] #665481
04/10/10 10:55 PM
04/10/10 10:55 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Quote:

If the Charger doesn't have a sway bar it will work.However if it does have a sway bar the calipers will hit the tabs on the lower control arms.If you want the sway bar you would need to swap the lower control arms sway bar and k frame from the 70.All these parts are a direct bolt in.

That's another question I have- I don't understand the sway bar issue, especially since my car had originally been set up with disks to begin with. Was the position of the caliper changed starting in 1970 such that it would hit the sway bar, but the positioning of the caliper in the factory original 1969 setup was at a different position so this wouldn't happen? I understand that the B-body disk conversion warns about this too...

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: '70 Coronet disks on '69 Charger? [Re: David_Trimble] #665482
04/10/10 11:48 PM
04/10/10 11:48 PM
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline
Lil Herman

Do yourself a favor and skip the original 4 piston set up. The 73-76 A body set up will mount up as a bolt on and clear your sway bar when you swap spindles side to side. The sway bar mounting changed in 70 to the front and the sway bar mounted thru the k frame. If you do go the route of the 1970 disc brake set up you can get the pins and hardware new.

56 Plaza 63 D100 step side 67 Coronet, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Super Bees, 69 Coronet 500 convertible, 70 Roadrunner Post, 79 D150 360, and a severe case of Mopar a,d,d
Re: '70 Coronet disks on '69 Charger? [Re: moparpollack] #665483
04/11/10 12:46 PM
04/11/10 12:46 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Yes I realized that with my pre-70 sway bars that I'll be hitting the caliper, so I'd have to mod the sway bar (which I'd rather not) or hang the calipers on the back. But I thought it was generally 'frowned upon' to swap the calipers to the rear? And if so then how would that affect the steering linkage- wouldn't I have to modify it, too?

Yea I'm not considering a 4-piston setup- besides the expense I heard the calipers weren't very easy to maintain. Since the car can never be 'concours-correct' I don't have a problem running the 1-piston setups. Plus I'll have steelies so they'll be hard to see anyway...

Last edited by David_Trimble; 04/11/10 01:00 PM.

'69 Dodge Charger R/T