05/31/08 10:23 AM
05/31/08 10:23 AM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
I recently bought the below 1938 Plymouth business coupe. I have gone back and forth but decided to build what I would call a driver and something that can run the power tour if need be. That said I have decided on a late mod 5.7. or 6.1 hemi. my intentions were find a totaled pull out of a 5.7. motor transx, brain, harness ect.

I know many people are now making a wiring harness that will work or help for the akter market, who is making the best harness currently and do you guys see things changing for the better with the aftermarket harnesses and say a 6.1 after market motor.

I would only guess a complete tare out of a totaled 5.7 car/ truck would work but what would the down sides be?

I am guessing I would still have to do the gauges and dash work in painless, ect?

Any suggestions, what are the pittfalls and any recomendations?

I am going comeplete mustang II front suspension. I believe I am simply going to use an 8 3/4 rear suspension with springs, nothing crazy, but ya never know.

thanks for any help as I am no mechanic and dont knwo these rigs at all.

This going to be a full fendered ride all the parts are there and very nice and straight.

Are there any websites, suppliers, ect to make this easier or for purchases. Anyone have an idea where the cheapest place, salvage yard out west is for a pull out, complete one?

I know where a 07 4x4 durango is, but its a 4x4 and thus stuff I dont need and probably issues changing stuff?

LAWFISH/DAVE

Re: 5.7/ 6.1 Late MOD HEMI conversions? Who known them? [Re: RUMBLON] #66535
05/31/08 11:43 AM
05/31/08 11:43 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We supply many different components for 5.7 and 6.1 HEMI swaps. Depending upoon what it is going into we have everything needed right down to raidiators.

For your car we're in the process of getting block hugger headers made as well.

We have crate motors, carb kits, EFI kits (fully tuned), fuel system as well as custom motors. We can also fully dress out motors with all the accessories and address all the issues that need to be for a swap.

Anyway, I don't post here too often anymore, so if you ask me a question it's unlikely I'll see it.

Best bet is look at our website and give us a call. We are dealing with these swaps every day now as we have alot of experience with these motors, making power with them and swapping them into older Mopars.

You should check out our carb kits as well. Apr Mopar Action has an article as well as Popular Hot Rodding (PHR has it on their site. Just search on their site under "XV HEMI" and it'll pop up). For a car like yours our intal=ke will make it look a whole lot better in a street rod (no cone filter) and it makes more power as well.

Give us a ring and we can help you out.

Re: 5.7/ 6.1 Late MOD HEMI conversions? Who known them? [Re: RUMBLON] #66536
05/31/08 04:03 PM
05/31/08 04:03 PM
808CUDA Offline
top fuel
808CUDA  Offline
top fuel

Dave,

If you are going to keep it with EFI, the most economical wire harness would be the Tony Squier Engine Harness (Hotwireauto.com).
Tony and his son are great people to deal with who are down to earth.
The harness was $950 and if you get a simple PCM (Powertrain control module) you can get one for about $650 tuned or less if you get a good used on Ebay. I spend for a new PCM and sent it directly to Dave @ B&G for a perf program and cost me about $850 total.

The stock PCm route is very tuneable especially since now they have Diablo Sport handheld engine tuners which will allow you to tune your engine if you modify it.

I did a write up on my 6.1 swap, it is the archives 6.1 Hemi install

You are going to so love the 3G Hemi. I know I do

Feel free to ask any other questions!

I'd gladly help you walk through the swap.

I personally think your best bet for an engine is to get a BRAND NEW 6.1 HEMI from my buddy Josh @ Champion Chrysler Jeep. $4700 for the complete engine!
Add $950 harness & $650 computer and for about $6300 you are on your way to a running 6.1 Hemi engine.

4464107-Engine_Drop.jpg (118 downloads)