04/04/10 11:29 AM
04/04/10 11:29 AM
Kansas
M
monacoman Offline OP
monacoman  Offline OP
M

Kansas
Hi, I have installed a set of year one's repo 440 exhaust manifolds on my 68 charger. I also got the H-Pipe from them. My problem is that the H-Pipe needs spread out about 2 inches to fit the manifolds. Also if I were to spread them the H-Pipe will hit the torsion bar on the passenger side. Anyone ever used this setup? Or, had any problems like this? Thanks.

Re: Year One repo exhaust manifolds? [Re: monacoman] #660532
04/04/10 11:36 AM
04/04/10 11:36 AM
dark side of the moon
D
Dougsmopars Offline
top fuel
Dougsmopars  Offline
top fuel
D

dark side of the moon
I have the year one manifolds. I got my H pipe from someone else. But i had the exact same issue. I beleive the manifold port angle is incorrect. I used a porta power to spread open the pipes to bolt them to the flanges. As for hitting the torsion bar i heated up the pipe at the point of contact cherry red and used a rounded head pry bar to work the pipe. Finished result looks factory. Took some time ti get a nice curve but worth the effort. Guess i'm not the only one who has come across this.

Re: Year One repo exhaust manifolds? [Re: Dougsmopars] #660533
04/04/10 11:38 AM
04/04/10 11:38 AM
dark side of the moon
D
Dougsmopars Offline
top fuel
Dougsmopars  Offline
top fuel
D

dark side of the moon
I guess it's also very possible that the H pipe i bought was made by the same supplier as Year One's and they were bent incorrect ?????

Re: Year One repo exhaust manifolds? [Re: Dougsmopars] #660534
04/04/10 12:07 PM
04/04/10 12:07 PM
Nunya CA
CR8CRSHR Offline
master
CR8CRSHR  Offline
master

Nunya CA
I have the same manifolds on my 66 Satellite 383. I am going with the TTI extensions to the exhaust using an H pipe as well. 2.5 inch. But the manifolds area correct repops for our rides that Year One sells...

Re: Year One repo exhaust manifolds? [Re: Dougsmopars] #660535
04/04/10 12:31 PM
04/04/10 12:31 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

I have the year one manifolds. I got my H pipe from someone else. But i had the exact same issue. I beleive the manifold port angle is incorrect. I used a porta power to spread open the pipes to bolt them to the flanges. As for hitting the torsion bar i heated up the pipe at the point of contact cherry red and used a rounded head pry bar to work the pipe. Finished result looks factory. Took some time ti get a nice curve but worth the effort. Guess i'm not the only one who has come across this.

I'd be more inclinded to blame the H pipe for improper fit,....on my Charger I used factory 70 440 HP manifolds, and the first H pipe I got from Accurate Exhaust was no where close to fitting with out major surgery, the 2nd H pipe from them needed the drivers side heated and stretched to fit, you might want to slide an inspection mirror down the pipes from the rear were the mufflers attach to see how the openings of the H crossover look, mine were about the size of a quarter, I ended up cutting the H crossover in the middle to seperate the pipes, so I could clear the H passage properly, then I welded 2 exhaust flanges to the H cut, so I could bolt up the pipes back to there position

Re: Year One repo exhaust manifolds? [Re: DAYCLONA] #660536
04/04/10 01:41 PM
04/04/10 01:41 PM
Lost and Spaced
B
bboogieart Offline
master
bboogieart  Offline
master
B

Lost and Spaced
I ended up cutting the H crossover in the middle to seperate the pipes, so I could clear the H passage properly, then I welded 2 exhaust flanges to the H cut, so I could bolt up the pipes back to there position (quote)

I was thinking this seemed the best fix as well.except I would weld rather use flanges.

Re: Year One repo exhaust manifolds? [Re: monacoman] #660537
04/05/10 09:44 AM
04/05/10 09:44 AM
Roseburg, Oregon
T
Tom Swope Offline
enthusiast
Tom Swope  Offline
enthusiast
T

Roseburg, Oregon
YO reproduction BB manifolds have in the past been
excellent in fit and appearance. We have personally used them and have countless customers using them with our exhaust systems with no fitment issues. There could be a few factors causing the problem. If the flanges are spread to aproximately 21-1/2" apart on the h-pipe and the h-pipe bolts to the manifolds but hits the left torsion bar-check the engine alignment. Measurements are 2.50" offset to the right and 5-1/2" in elevation from the top of the k frame with all measurements taken from the center of the crankshaft. If this is within specs then try a different brand of h-pipe. I disagree with Dayclona in the above post regarding his apparent problem with one of our h-pipes. He also made this same claim in an earlier post last year. Dayclona has his wires crossed. There is no proof that the h-pipe was from us and we have no record he has ever been a customer. If we manufactured our product as poorly as he has claimed we would not be in business today.

Re: Year One repo exhaust manifolds? [Re: Tom Swope] #660538
04/05/10 06:02 PM
04/05/10 06:02 PM
dark side of the moon
D
Dougsmopars Offline
top fuel
Dougsmopars  Offline
top fuel
D

dark side of the moon
The manifolds did fit very well and look beautiful. I'm very happy with them. I didn't get my H pipe from Accurate as shipping was to expensive i'm too far away. My H pipe had the same problem with hitting the torsion bar. I checked those measurments you mentioned and motor is sitting fine. Don't know who actually made my H pipe but it was no big deal to spread it open a bit and heat and notch at torsion bar. It just barely hit but would have been a nasty rattle if not fixed.