Dartin Offline
super stock
Dartin  Offline
super stock
D

Clinton Township, Michigan
Quote:

We do it like this:
Proud owner of engine comes home with all his parts from the machine shop...
Buys Pizza and Beer, and calls us all over...
After many stories, and proper lubrication, 4 or 5 drunk monkeys put it all together...
Cam break-in commences at 1AM!!

When we do it we use the grease from the pepperoni for cam break-in and bearing lube

Re: How much $ to assemble a long block? [Re: dOoC] #649032
03/24/10 08:00 AM
03/24/10 08:00 AM
Shelby Twp. Mi
HardcoreB Offline
master
HardcoreB  Offline
master

Shelby Twp. Mi
Quote:

Well ...a drunk MONKEY could put together the SB then.

That is CrAzY .... what kind of knowledge or expertise is there just doing that ?

I'm not sure if your kidding or not Doc? If not, then you'd be insinuating Ron Silva is crazy or silly for verifying dimensions during assembly using the premier R&R rods. And that is merely one example. What about the thru-machined balance ho le in the crankshaft that BG racing found, from what I remember the journals were machined properly. IMO most posts critical of building charges are the result of, and excuse the word, ignorance. Any assembly or labor should be charged by the time required. All the experts out there just need to do the work themselves but, they'll have the burden of responsiblity when something goes wrong. Don't forget the overhead of specialized tools too.

Re: How much $ to assemble a long block? [Re: HardcoreB] #649033
03/24/10 10:26 AM
03/24/10 10:26 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Hardcore,
Ron IS crazy!!!!

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: How much $ to assemble a long block? [Re: MoparBilly] #649034
03/24/10 12:10 PM
03/24/10 12:10 PM
PA
68CudaB1 Offline
mopar
68CudaB1  Offline
mopar

PA
Copy and pasted directly from Andy Jensen's website.......His prices are always very competitive.

ASSEMBLY OPTIONS:

DISASSEMBLE SHORT BLOCK $45 [ ]
DISASSEMBLE COMLETE ENGINE $75 [ ]
ASSEMBLE SHORT BLOCK $250 [ ]
ASSEMBLE FRESHENED ENGINE $400 [ ]
ASSEMBLE NEW RACE ENGINE $500 [ ]
DYNO TEST PER DAY $425 [ ]

Re: How much $ to assemble a long block? [Re: 68CudaB1] #649035
03/24/10 02:53 PM
03/24/10 02:53 PM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
Quote:

His prices are always very competitive.

i looked at his whole price sheet and if it's quality work i would say that's putting it mildly

Re: How much $ to assemble a long block? [Re: jamesc] #649036
03/24/10 03:03 PM
03/24/10 03:03 PM
PA
68CudaB1 Offline
mopar
68CudaB1  Offline
mopar

PA
Quote:

Quote:

His prices are always very competitive.

i looked at his whole price sheet and if it's quality work i would say that's putting it mildly

Top quality machine work PLUS his prices on parts can not be beat. He has basically no markup on parts, and purchases alot so that keeps prices down for his customers. And he is HONEST, his price sheet is filled out with you and that is what is done and billed, simple as that.

Re: How much $ to assemble a long block? [Re: HardcoreB] #649037
03/24/10 06:19 PM
03/24/10 06:19 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOoC Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOoC  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

Quote:

Well ...a drunk MONKEY could put together the SB then.

That is CrAzY .... what kind of knowledge or expertise is there just doing that ?

I'm not sure if your kidding or not Doc? If not, then you'd be insinuating Ron Silva is crazy or silly for verifying dimensions during assembly using the premier R&R rods. And that is merely one example. What about the thru-machined balance ho le in the crankshaft that BG racing found, from what I remember the journals were machined properly. IMO most posts critical of building charges are the result of, and excuse the word, ignorance. Any assembly or labor should be charged by the time required. All the experts out there just need to do the work themselves but, they'll have the burden of responsiblity when something goes wrong. Don't forget the overhead of specialized tools too.

NO ...I am not kidding Sean. If everything is checked and set(like ring end-gaps, bearing clearances, cam degreeing, etc, ETC) ....I will still STICK with what I said. All you need to know what to use is a torque-wrench and a ring compressor.

Is Ron CrAzY ? ... like that guy from North-of-the-border ?? ... NO. CrAzY like-a-FOX? - maybe ! I guess it all boils-down-to ...whatever the market will bear.

Now I would think it depends on who you go to. You go to Joe-Blow Speed Shop(who you know does good-work) ... who does all the checking, filing and verifing AND assembling ... 750$(plus the maching costs) .. I say is reasonable. I would not pay that ... I am capable of doing this me-self.

Now go-to someone like WJ(who is famous for doing his own stuff) .... to do the SAME WORK .....

You would probably pay 4 TIMES that.

Just my

Re: How much $ to assemble a long block? [Re: dOoC] #649038
03/24/10 07:16 PM
03/24/10 07:16 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
No matter what machine work is done by whom ever,when some one brings a engine to our shop just for assemble we treat it as a complete build.We recheck every journal,rod,piston,rings,bores,deck,valve job,spring pressure and height,crank and cam end play and clearences as well as the kitchen sink before before,during and after.We log and inform the customer of our findings.The final assembly is just as important as any early stage of work.The best parts can be damaged by shoddy assembly and the assembler better be on of your shops best and smartest guys,he will catch the mistakes before the engine leaves and the customer won't be the one to suffer.As I have said before I have great machinist that work for me,but would never let them "build" an engine.To have a set rate cast in stone is like playing Russian Roulette.One engine with bad machine work can cost a builder days or more to correct.We evaluate each job on individual basis and keep the customer informed.

Re: How much $ to assemble a long block? [Re: B G Racing] #649039
03/24/10 07:51 PM
03/24/10 07:51 PM
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

acworth / N. georgia - south e...
Quote:

No matter what machine work is done by whom ever,when some one brings a engine to our shop just for assemble we treat it as a complete build.We recheck every journal,rod,piston,rings,bores,deck,valve job,spring pressure and height,crank and cam end play and clearences as well as the kitchen sink before before,during and after.We log and inform the customer of our findings.The final assembly is just as important as any early stage of work.The best parts can be damaged by shoddy assembly and the assembler better be on of your shops best and smartest guys,he will catch the mistakes before the engine leaves and the customer won't be the one to suffer.As I have said before I have great machinist that work for me,but would never let them "build" an engine.To have a set rate cast in stone is like playing Russian Roulette.One engine with bad machine work can cost a builder days or more to correct.We evaluate each job on individual basis and keep the customer informed.

i agree with this....when/if the builder finds something wrong.it has to be fixed..that cost money..you might assemble 5 items and they are without issue..
then you get to the "R&R" rods ..and all hell breaks loose...
there is a hassle factor..and then there is a HASSLE Factor...
find someone you trust..who wont throw an unexceptible part in there..and he'll be worth every penny.
cheapst.

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: How much $ to assemble a long block? [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #649040
03/24/10 08:13 PM
03/24/10 08:13 PM
State College, PA
RyanJ Offline
moparts member
RyanJ  Offline
moparts member

State College, PA
A basic naturally aspirated single 4 barrel, cast intake motor, intake to pan I charge $850..... that includes checking all bearing clearances, file fit rings, degree cam, measure for custom P rod length, check piston to valve clearance, both radially & vertically, lash valves for fire up, prime oiling system (not including oil/filter etc).... & I charge an extra $65 to clean & assemble the heads separately. So technically I guess it's $915.

Then if it's more complicated deal with alot of external oil/water lines, etc that external stuff gets charged $ per hour & added ontop of normal assembly fee.

Page 2 of 2 1 2