03/20/10 10:38 PM
pittsburgh, pa
S
shadango Offline OP
shadango  Offline OP
S

pittsburgh, pa
Hi folks...

I recently did a drum to disk conversion on my 72 Barracuda. My setup is a set of calipers/rotors from a 80 NYer and the "large" caliper mounting brackets.

I found that the slider calipers are making lots of noise when I hit bumps.

The calipers are actually loose enough on the mounts to move a bit when the brake is not depressed and the resulting noise is LOUD...resonates thru the whole front end.

Step on the brakes a little and the noise disappears.

I am starting to wonder if the little black rubber bands that came in the hardware kit and didn't use (I waas told they werent needed) are what would prevent this?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks folks

Re: Brake caliper noise [Re: shadango] #646563
03/20/10 10:54 PM
03/20/10 10:54 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
no need for the rubber bands. you need to bend those thin metal retainers (2) on each wheel that hold the caliper to the horseshoe adapter. Bend the part on the inside that bears down on the calipers itself and while you are there might real quick wire brush the "ways", the V grooves then use antisieze or dry lube or leave em dry your preference. This is not related to your problem but might be helpful and would take seconds to do. EDIT meant to say the part that bears down on the pads themselves

Last edited by RapidRobert; 03/21/10 12:45 AM.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Brake caliper noise [Re: RapidRobert] #646564
03/21/10 03:43 AM
03/21/10 03:43 AM
pittsburgh, pa
S
shadango Offline OP
shadango  Offline OP
S

pittsburgh, pa
Quote:

no need for the rubber bands. you need to bend those thin metal retainers (2) on each wheel that hold the caliper to the horseshoe adapter. Bend the part on the inside that bears down on the calipers itself and while you are there might real quick wire brush the "ways", the V grooves then use antisieze or dry lube or leave em dry your preference. This is not related to your problem but might be helpful and would take seconds to do. EDIT meant to say the part that bears down on the pads themselves

Thanks for the reply.

So all i need to do is bend them more?

it seems like such a strange setup as far as the metal plate holding them in .....seemed like there should be "more" holding them on....

The calipers are new and the adaptors are feshly painted etc.....from a 78/79 Cordoba

If I wanted to install the rubber bands, how do they install? Seems like they wouldnt provide them in the hardware kit the way companies cut back these days unless they were needed....everyone seems to think they arent needed though as you suggested.

Last edited by shadango; 03/21/10 04:43 AM.
Re: Brake caliper noise [Re: shadango] #646565
03/21/10 07:38 AM
03/21/10 07:38 AM
chicagoland,usa
B
buildanother Offline
I Live Here
buildanother  Offline
I Live Here
B

chicagoland,usa
Never needed the bands here either. Are you certain you have matching components, installed correctly?

Re: Brake caliper noise [Re: buildanother] #646566
03/21/10 08:53 AM
pittsburgh, pa
S
shadango Offline OP
shadango  Offline OP
S

pittsburgh, pa
Quote:

Never needed the bands here either. Are you certain you have matching components, installed correctly?

The componants should match..... 78/79 Cordoba "large disk' brackets and 80 NYer calipers....Both cars seem to use the same calipers when I look them up on autozone or rock auto's sites.

I plan on trying to prebend the plates a little more and see if that helps, but I have the rubber bands and would really like to install them to see if they do anything...just cantfigure out how they are installed.

Re: Brake caliper noise [Re: shadango] #646567
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

it seems like such a strange setup as far as the metal plate holding them in .....seemed like there should be "more" holding them on....
everyone seems to think they arent needed though as you suggested.

(1) No if they are lightly snug now (2) Agreed it seems inadequate but it does work well but as Buildanother said there is something else going on. I've never used the rubber bands and not ever sure what they are for as they would not last but they for sure are not related to your problem. Oh I got an idea, the 1 pad w the ears/tabs you need to bend each of the tabs slightly so you have to force this pad on w a bit of force for it to snap in place and the other pad needs to float slightly when you drop it in place.

Re: Brake caliper noise [Re: RapidRobert] #646568
03/21/10 09:08 AM
03/21/10 09:08 AM
pittsburgh, pa
S
shadango Offline OP
shadango  Offline OP
S

pittsburgh, pa
Quote:

Quote:

everyone seems to think they arent needed though as you suggested.

(1) No if they are lightly snug now (2) Agreed it seems inadequate but it does work well but as Buildanother said there is something else going on. I've never used the rubber bands and not ever sure what they are for as they would not last but they for sure are not related to your problem. Oh I got an idea, the 1 pad w the ears/tabs you need to bend each of the tabs slightly so you have to force this pad on w a bit of force for it to snap in place and the other pad needs to float slightly when you drop it in place.

Wouldnt bending the pad ears really only affect the movement of the pads in the caliper?

My issue is that the caliper is moving on the adaptor in ways it shouldnt and making the noise.....

I will be taking a look at it this morning to try again......I know the plates must have lost some of their tension...but the question is why. ???

Re: Brake caliper noise [Re: shadango] #646569
03/21/10 09:27 AM
03/21/10 09:27 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Wouldnt bending the pad ears really only affect the movement of the pads in the caliper?
My issue is that the caliper is moving on the adaptor in ways it shouldnt and making the noise.

(1) yes, been awhile since I've did em so I was not visualizing it correctly. (2) The caliper falls onto the grooves when you install it and can pretty much only slide back/forth. Does that seem correct with what you have going on & I'm wondering if some antisieze on the grooves would take care of the noise or if it's something we haven't figured out yet? Holler back when you can

Re: Brake caliper noise [Re: RapidRobert] #646570
03/21/10 11:55 AM
03/21/10 11:55 AM
pittsburgh, pa
S
shadango Offline OP
shadango  Offline OP
S

pittsburgh, pa
Hey there.

Seems that it NEVER happens if my brakes are slightly depressed...release them and the noise reappears, thats why I am zeroing on on the calipers.

I re-bent the plates and took it out for a ride....seemed ok at first and as I drove it got worse. Same symptoms.

When I was bebending the plates it seemed like they bent REALLY easy....I cant see how those plates can hold positive pressure like that....plus, as the brakes heat up, so will those plates and then they are even softer....

Pulled the front wheel when I got home and the caliper is again slightly loose if I grab it and try to "rotate" it....i.e. twist front to back.

Re: Brake caliper noise [Re: shadango] #646571
03/21/10 07:37 PM
03/21/10 07:37 PM
pittsburgh, pa
S
shadango Offline OP
shadango  Offline OP
S

pittsburgh, pa
There's a great image and different from the one I had posted over on forabodies.com that shows where the rubber bands go...!

So, still, now that I see how the rubber band goes, CA NOT figure out WHY they have it! LOL

Anyways, looks (so far) like the issue was CHEAP hardware that came with the pads.

The plates were very maleable. Very little pressure to bend them.

I went out and bought a new kit from NAPA and the plates are much harder and more like springs.

So far, so good....didnt try the REALLY bumpy roads yet but I think this definately helped.

Re: Brake caliper noise [Re: shadango] #646572
03/21/10 10:18 PM
03/21/10 10:18 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Glad you got it. Yeah I never would have thought of malleable holddowns letting the calipers move. I did not mention the rubber bands again cause I knew you were not going to rest until you scored a set/found out how they go and then try them

Re: Brake caliper noise [Re: RapidRobert] #646573
03/23/10 05:08 AM
03/23/10 05:08 AM
pittsburgh, pa
S
shadango Offline OP
shadango  Offline OP
S

pittsburgh, pa
Well, took the car out again yesterday for a cruise and that did it. No more scarey "banging around noises" in the front end.

I plan on taking the hardware kit that came with my pads back to autozone and showing them the crap they sold me...its bad enough we have to deal with crap chinese rotors.....but now the brake hardware too?