Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

In 68 that would be an SO not a VON.

Dealers typically got their sales order forms from their sales reps. The reps had boxes of them that were in numeric order that they dispersed throughout their group of dealers that they called on. When the dealer got low on them they got the next numbers that the rep had. He may have given the previous numbers to your new batch to a dealer many miles away from your dealership. So in this case, the SO numbers for these cars could simply be a matter of the dealer running out of the cronological numeric forms and began writing orders on the new batch he got. There is no magic in it and trying to corrolate V.I.N.s with SOs or VONs sometimes works and sometimes not because of this.

Opps, I should have known that.

Could this car have been built to put into the sales bank without the dealer specifically spec'ing it out. I thought there were cars built that were not specifically intended for a particular dealer. The xxx200 car was not ordered by the customer. It was on the lot.

That too is a possibility.

Re: A match!!: 1968 RR - paint code 999 - VIN, SO [Re: 6bblgt] #644712
03/22/10 11:57 AM
03/22/10 11:57 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Was the destination charge a flat fee at the point??

Yes, the destination charge on a '68 Road Runner sold at Glendale CP should be the same no matter which plant it was built at.
The destination charge on a HEMI Road Runner built in Detroit would be the same as a 383 coupe built in Los Angeles, as well as a GTX convertible built in St. Louis. A-bodies were less & c-bodies were more. There may be a few more variables, but that is the jist of it. I have a chart with '68 shipping rates - somewhere.

I disagree. Corporate determined where the car would be built depending on the closest plant to the dealer to be delivered to. However depending on what plant it was shipped from the shipping cost could vary depending on the distence to the dealership.

Re: 1968 Road Runner - paint code 999 - VIN, VON confu [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #644713
03/22/10 12:03 PM
03/22/10 12:03 PM
Chicago Blackhawks
H
hemicar1971 Offline
master
hemicar1971  Offline
master
H

Chicago Blackhawks
I know a Dallas Smith.There is a very very very slight possiblity that he bought this car or had something to do with it. Dallas Smith was Bobby Orr's defence partner in 1968 Playing for the Boston Bruins. 1967 was an Expansion year in the NHL and maybe Dallas had something to do with the Califoria Golden Seals or the New NHL expansion teams but he never played for them. I know from experience with Mopars that one NHL hockey player that worked for Chrysler had a lot to do with ordering Chrysler built products for other NHL hockey players.

1971 HEMI E BODY REGISTRY
Re: 1968 Road Runner - paint code 999 - VIN, VON confu [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #644714
03/22/10 12:17 PM
03/22/10 12:17 PM
Petaluma, CA
J
JimDiesel Offline OP
JimDiesel  Offline OP
J

Petaluma, CA
Quote:

Yes Dan, that Paint instruction tag was found above the headliner in the 999 Omaha Orange 1968 Formula S Barracuda that I used to own (when I lived in Santa Rosa - 1986).
It would be interesting to see if there's a similar tag under the Road Runners headliner.

I think I need to find a how-to article on headliner removal.

68 Road Runner
67 Coronet
Re: A match!!: 1968 RR - paint code 999 - VIN, SO #644715
03/22/10 01:30 PM
03/22/10 01:30 PM
Las Vegas, NV
6bblgt Offline
I Live Here
6bblgt  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas, NV
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, the destination charge on a '68 Road Runner sold at Glendale CP should be the same no matter which plant it was built at.
The destination charge on a HEMI Road Runner built in Detroit would be the same as a 383 coupe built in Los Angeles, as well as a GTX convertible built in St. Louis. A-bodies were less & c-bodies were more. There may be a few more variables, but that is the jist of it. I have a chart with '68 shipping rates - somewhere.

I disagree. Corporate determined where the car would be built depending on the closest plant to the dealer to be delivered to. However depending on what plant it was shipped from the shipping cost could vary depending on the distence to the dealership.

Please explain the $149 Destination Charge associated with the delivery of the Road Runner that was delivered 7 miles from the LA plant.

Re: A match!!: 1968 RR - paint code 999 - VIN, SO [Re: 6bblgt] #644716
03/22/10 09:42 PM
03/22/10 09:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Please explain the $149 Destination Charge associated with the delivery of the Road Runner that was delivered 7 miles from the LA plant.

Don't know, probably some union thing.

Re: A match!!: 1968 RR - paint code 999 - VIN, SO #644717
03/22/10 10:55 PM
03/22/10 10:55 PM
Las Vegas, NV
6bblgt Offline
I Live Here
6bblgt  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas, NV
Quote:

You disagree with my statement but offer nothing but I "don't know"! BRAVO!!

Chrysler did NOT handicap sales of full size, convertible, or HEMI cars (none built on the west coast) by having an excessive "DESTINATION CHARGE" VS. the much smaller selection/variety of cars assembled locally at the LA plant.

Re: A match!!: 1968 RR - paint code 999 - VIN, SO [Re: 6bblgt] #644718
03/22/10 11:09 PM
03/22/10 11:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

You disagree with my statement but offer nothing but I "don't know"! BRAVO!! Chrysler did NOT handicap sales of full size, convertible, or HEMI cars (none built on the west coast) by having an excessive "DESTINATION CHARGE" VS. the much smaller selection/variety of cars assembled locally at the LA plant.

Well, I sold them new and do know that the shipping charges were diferent depending on what plant the came from.

I understand what you are talking about a handicap and that was always something that I didn't understand. It has been 40 years, maybe I am remebering it wrong but I don't think so because it was something I always questioned at the time.

Re: A match!!: 1968 RR - paint code 999 - VIN, SO #644719
03/23/10 12:40 AM
03/23/10 12:40 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Actually the fixed destination charge is more for the protection of the dealer network than to benefit the sale of certain models. It is (was) price protection so a close dealer couldn’t advertise a $150+ lower price than someone that may be just a few hours across a State line for example. It still goes on today; the local Ford truck plant still applies the same destination charge to the dealer that is ten minutes away as they do to one a hundred miles away. Price protection not certain model promotion.

Re: A match!!: 1968 RR - paint code 999 - VIN, SO [Re: 6bblgt] #644720
03/23/10 01:35 AM
03/23/10 01:35 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

You disagree with my statement but offer nothing but I "don't know"! BRAVO!!

Chrysler did NOT handicap sales of full size, convertible, or HEMI cars (none built on the west coast) by having an excessive "DESTINATION CHARGE" VS. the much smaller selection/variety of cars assembled locally at the LA plant.

That 68 Window sticker has the same exact delivery charge of $149. I see that car is Hemi car, so it would have not been built at L.A. plant. Still same charge.

Re: A match!!: 1968 RR - paint code 999 - VIN, SO [Re: autoxcuda] #644721
03/24/10 12:50 AM
03/24/10 12:50 AM
Petaluma, CA
J
JimDiesel Offline OP
JimDiesel  Offline OP
J

Petaluma, CA
Is there a way to get the headliner off without destroying it (unlikely as I tend to break things)? It is in decent shape and so I'd rather not - but I will if I need to.

Anything else I should do to document the paint besides more pics?

Does the 999 Omaha Orange add much value to the car, or is it worth about what a modified road runner with a crate HEMI is worth.

Thanks

68 Road Runner
67 Coronet
Re: A match!!: 1968 RR - paint code 999 - VIN, SO [Re: 6bblgt] #644722
03/24/10 03:23 PM
03/24/10 03:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OK, let me see if I understand what you guys are saying here. Your saying that in the interest of keeping things fair throughout the country that the destination charge was the same throughout the country on a given car? Yes that would make it fair on a national basis but totally unfair on a local level and would have promote MANY more factory pick ups by buyers which by the way was minimal in the grand scheme of things.

I can tell you that at the dealership I worked at 68-74 the destination charges were different from every assembly plant we got them from depending on the distance from our dealership. It was a regional thing that was the same for any dealer in that region. If as an example a Cal. dealer ordered a hemi car that had to come from St. Louis, all dealers in his region would have the same destination charge. However, a dealer in the St. louis region would have a much lower destination charge. People don't shop cars coast to coast, they shop within their region and it was fair to all within the region.

Re: A match!!: 1968 RR - paint code 999 - VIN, SO #644723
03/25/10 03:27 AM
03/25/10 03:27 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

OK, let me see if I understand what you guys are saying here. Your saying that in the interest of keeping things fair throughout the country that the destination charge was the same throughout the country on a given car? Yes that would make it fair on a national basis but totally unfair on a local level and would have promote MANY more factory pick ups by buyers which by the way was minimal in the grand scheme of things.

I can tell you that at the dealership I worked at 68-74 the destination charges were different from every assembly plant we got them from depending on the distance from our dealership. It was a regional thing that was the same for any dealer in that region. If as an example a Cal. dealer ordered a hemi car that had to come from St. Louis, all dealers in his region would have the same destination charge. However, a dealer in the St. louis region would have a much lower destination charge. People don't shop cars coast to coast, they shop within their region and it was fair to all within the region.

The desination charge of that 68 4spd RR that went from the LA plant to Glendale was the same charge at the 68 RR Hemi car that went from St Louis/Detroit? to Arizona that 6bblgt posted the window sticker for. How could that have happened? Was California in AZ's region??

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6