MMC Detroit Offline
super stock
MMC Detroit  Offline
super stock

www.mmcdetroit.com
Quote:

Quote:

Bill,
Regarding #2 when did this change? As stated earlier, in 2000-01 I asked for this information and was told it was not available.

At that time frame , it's wasn't avail.

Taken directly from Dave's ICCA site

Quote:

It is important to understand that this World Class Reference Manual is not the final word in Restoration or Judging. It is just the beginning of the assembly of objective information. This information will be used to assist in the restoration and impartially evaluate the historical correctness, workmanship, authenticity, and condition of a Mopar!

I have enjoyed reading everyone's view points on vehicle judging. Thank you for you comments and feedback.

We are always looking for the best and the brightest to assist our program in the documentation of the variations that are found with vehicles and how to judge them properly. The ICCA has developed a program that is dynamic and we are always trying to improve in process and information. I personally spend at least 40 hours per doing research on vehicles and developing documentation of as much as possible in a clear and concise format to share with everyone.

I'm personally committed to develop an objective judging system for the Mopar hobby to use. It is true that I have 50% of the individuals involved with the ICCA that restore cars. However, I consider them the best at their craft with a great deal of experience and knowledge on how Chrysler Vehicle left the factory. I’m leading the ICCA effort and I DO NOT RESTORE CARS FOR A LIVING. I research them.

Over 10 years ago I started out with a vision to create a uniform judging manual because the hobby needed one. I have judged cars for over 20 years and at every event people would ask questions that most experienced people in the hobby know but there are many other that do not. I cannot tell you how many times that I have pointed out something that is incorrect and they stated “If I would have only known I would have done it properly”.

The first E body reference manual that we developed over 6 years ago was 200 pages today that same manual is 1000 pages. The first fastener reference manual that we came out with 7 years ago was 50 pages today that same manual is 250 pages.

There has been over 50 people from all over the world that have contributed information that has been inserted into the applicable manual. This information has helped me document specific details on cars that I have never known with their assistance. The most recent information has come from Roger Wilson. He has provided the ICCA, and ultimately the hobby with information on GTX’s that were few known. That knowledge is captured in a manual for all to use. One of the primary contributors and an ICCA team is Byron Fettig. Byron has taken apart more Chrysler cars then anyone in the world. Him and I compare information found almost daily. Needless to say his applicable discoveries go directly into the applicable ICCA manual.

Please keep the positive feedback coming and I will do my best moving forward to craft out the best material and develop the most objective judging program available.

Stop by and visit with us at the Mopar’s in the Park in June and we can show you where the program is heading. We have an exciting ICCA event planned for that show and an event in Sept on the east that you will see information shortly on a news stand near you. Please keep in mind that we have a number of judging options available from basic advice to true O.E. (with out the RED points) as discussed earlier in the thread.

Thanks for you time.

Dave Wise 248.393.3970

MMC/ ICCA Detroit. The Motor City or where ever there is Mopars
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644046
03/25/10 12:36 PM
03/25/10 12:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Dave,

For your information bak in the very early days of NRS I WAS a judge whih was over 30 years ago.

Your ramblings on about me knowing nothing of the process is falling on deaf ears as I am perfectly aware of what is involved.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Paul Jacobs] #644047
03/25/10 12:43 PM
03/25/10 12:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Maybe I can add some answers to some questions. The Mopar Nationals OE program has been in constant evolvement since 1990. It has been updated and expanded every year as more things are learned and the restorations have become better. The judging guidelines and score sheets are protected to prevent copycat judging, and to preserve the integrity of the system. Think of it this way. You could spend years and years perfecting a painting like the Mona Lisa. Then, someone comes along, and sells a paint by numbers kit that ends up as good as your painting. What was all your efforts worth, to be diminished instantly?

As Dave has clearly pointed out, and I agree 100%, if someone wants to compete in the OE field then it is THEIR responsibility to research on their own! Why should someone get a manual to tell them how to do everything, when people like myself, have spent 20 years learning all the intricate details? I realize in todays society everyone wants an easy way out, but even if their was a manual on the correct way a car should look, you still have to figure out how to make the finishes look right. Making a driveshaft look right is not as simple as sanding it down smooth and puting in NOS U joints!
Honestly, if there were a book to completely detail how to perform an OE restoration, it would take 25 books! Don't beleive me? I have 6-4" three ring binders of JUST PHOTOS of our latest restoration. Now just think if I documented the restoration of every component on that car, and the over 1000 hours. Just look at all the hard work Dave Wise has done on the fastener manuals, and how big they are.

Now to address some question about the judging staff judging cars they restore-THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN-PERIOD. As I have stated before, I have competed and judged in the Mopar Nationals program over 10 years. If a judge enters a car for competition, he must judge a totally different class. For instance, the years I enetered cars in the stock "concourse" classes, I judged Pro Street. I now judge the Young Guns class as I like talking to the younger kids just getting into this hobby. I have cars judged in another class (OE mainly). There is no conflict of interest if the participants and judges have INTEGRITY-which Keith Rohm demands!

Hope this helps a little.

Paul,
That is a very narrow minded thought that it seems no other make seems concerned about and they encourage people to buy the judging manual BEFORE they being a restoration that they plan to have judged so people can score as high as possible.

It sounds to me like some of you guys are more concerned about who the number one car is each year rather than cars just scoring the highest number of points, in which case there can be one or any number of cars that can reach that level at the same time.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644048
03/25/10 12:49 PM
03/25/10 12:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Back in 2000 I bought a second owner 1968 Hemi Charger that was all numbers matching with history to the original owner that need restoration. I began looking around for a judging manual for OEM cars. I just wanted to have a guideline to make sure I didn't spend time and money doing something wrong during resto to this great car.

One final point Darryl, read your above quote a few more times! Your appeal falls on deaf ears. You've had these cars since 2000. I didn't get my first Chrysler until 2002 and didn't even know HOW to spell MOPAR! Since that time I am on my third OE restored vehicle. The first two both won Gold awards in the OE Judging. I didn't have an OE Manual!! So whats your excuse? You have sat around for 10 years griping and complaining about how inept the OE program is because it won't "give" you a Manual. It all goes back to what I said in an earlier post, " The bottom line is that guys like you are looking for the easy way out. You are either too lazy to do the work..."

Where was the "Manual" for Paul Jacobs? He has more GOLD awards that anyone I know in the OE venue. If you want an "OE Manual" get off your rump and go make one! There have been plenty of people who have been successful without a "Manual" to this point. You want to know why? Because they made the commitment to do whatever it takes to accomplish their goal. You don't care about OE procedures Darryl! If you did.....YOU would be forging ahead and no one could stop you.

From what you are saying here is that no one should be able to learn from others mistakes OR knowledge and that everyone should have to learn it the hard way. Don't we all try to insure that our children DON'T have to do it this way?

BTW, I didn't dwell on this when I found there was no manual available and forged ahead on my car and it was completed and sold several years ago. So it is not like I have been sitting around waiting for one. I just don't think others should have to.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: MMC Detroit] #644049
03/25/10 12:58 PM
03/25/10 12:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bill,
Regarding #2 when did this change? As stated earlier, in 2000-01 I asked for this information and was told it was not available.

At that time frame , it's wasn't avail.

Taken directly from Dave's ICCA site

Quote:

It is important to understand that this World Class Reference Manual is not the final word in Restoration or Judging. It is just the beginning of the assembly of objective information. This information will be used to assist in the restoration and impartially evaluate the historical correctness, workmanship, authenticity, and condition of a Mopar!

I have enjoyed reading everyone's view points on vehicle judging. Thank you for you comments and feedback.

We are always looking for the best and the brightest to assist our program in the documentation of the variations that are found with vehicles and how to judge them properly. The ICCA has developed a program that is dynamic and we are always trying to improve in process and information. I personally spend at least 40 hours per doing research on vehicles and developing documentation of as much as possible in a clear and concise format to share with everyone.

I'm personally committed to develop an objective judging system for the Mopar hobby to use. It is true that I have 50% of the individuals involved with the ICCA that restore cars. However, I consider them the best at their craft with a great deal of experience and knowledge on how Chrysler Vehicle left the factory. I’m leading the ICCA effort and I DO NOT RESTORE CARS FOR A LIVING. I research them.

Over 10 years ago I started out with a vision to create a uniform judging manual because the hobby needed one. I have judged cars for over 20 years and at every event people would ask questions that most experienced people in the hobby know but there are many other that do not. I cannot tell you how many times that I have pointed out something that is incorrect and they stated “If I would have only known I would have done it properly”.

The first E body reference manual that we developed over 6 years ago was 200 pages today that same manual is 1000 pages. The first fastener reference manual that we came out with 7 years ago was 50 pages today that same manual is 250 pages.

There has been over 50 people from all over the world that have contributed information that has been inserted into the applicable manual. This information has helped me document specific details on cars that I have never known with their assistance. The most recent information has come from Roger Wilson. He has provided the ICCA, and ultimately the hobby with information on GTX’s that were few known. That knowledge is captured in a manual for all to use. One of the primary contributors and an ICCA team is Byron Fettig. Byron has taken apart more Chrysler cars then anyone in the world. Him and I compare information found almost daily. Needless to say his applicable discoveries go directly into the applicable ICCA manual.

Please keep the positive feedback coming and I will do my best moving forward to craft out the best material and develop the most objective judging program available.

Stop by and visit with us at the Mopar’s in the Park in June and we can show you where the program is heading. We have an exciting ICCA event planned for that show and an event in Sept on the east that you will see information shortly on a news stand near you. Please keep in mind that we have a number of judging options available from basic advice to true O.E. (with out the RED points) as discussed earlier in the thread.

Thanks for you time.

Dave Wise 248.393.3970

It is true that I have 50% of the individuals involved with the ICCA that restore cars.

Regarding the above bolded area of your post:

This is typical throughout all other makes OEM judging as well however they don't allow these judges to judge cars they have restored for themselves or ones they have restored for others. Hopefully your venue is the same?

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644050
03/25/10 01:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

It is true that I have 50% of the individuals involved with the ICCA that restore cars.

Regarding the above bolded area of your post:

This is typical throughout all other makes OEM judging as well ...

Not True! You stated that "it is typical" for "all other" judging venues to have Restoration guys as their judges. I spoke with Keith Rohm yesterday and not a single member of his OE Judging team is involved with restoring cars on a "professional" basis. I personally believe that it IS a conflict of interest to have Professional Restoration people as Judges because THEIR methods become THE standards by which they judge the cars. I actually witnessed this at a show where two "Restoration" Judges were arguing about whose rationale was more correct regarding radiator core support "over spray". NEITHER "JUDGE" WAS CONCERNED WITH THE FACTORY CORRECTNESS OF THE SUBJECT MATTER THEY WERE DEBATING!! The discussion became centered around THEIR view of how they thought it should be done. The funny thing about the argument was that BOTH methods could have been correct! Pitiful (for the guy who owned the car) to say the least!
Would you care to recant your incorrect comment about "all" OE judges being restoration guys or simply leave it where it falsely stands?

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644051
www.mmcdetroit.com
MMC Detroit Offline
super stock
MMC Detroit  Offline
super stock

www.mmcdetroit.com
The ICCA O.E., U.R.O.E. or basic judging process does not allow any restorer to judge any car that they have performed any service on and never will. Chuck Kuhn gave me this advice over 10 years ago when I consulted with him about the ICCA concept as it was being developed. The ICCA has specific protocol that must be followed throughout the entire process by everyone on the team. Any judge that does not follow the prescribed protocol, mission statement or subscribe to our quality policy, goals and objectives or conduct themselves in a professional manner will not be part of the program.

Mission Statement:
To continuously strive to enhance and advance the Mopar Automobile collector hobby.
Our Quality Policy:
To provide products and services that meets or exceed your expectations at a fair price.
Our Goal:
To be a trusted resource for reliable information, products, and services.
Our Objective:
To share the information and knowledge acquired over the past 50+ years with our customers.

Dave

MMC/ ICCA Detroit. The Motor City or where ever there is Mopars
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: MMC Detroit] #644052
03/25/10 02:29 PM
03/25/10 02:29 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
there should be a reference manual for this thread

OMG, this is some reading.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: joelson6] #644053
03/25/10 04:32 PM
03/25/10 04:32 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
Im done here-short of what colored ink the judges should use, it's been covered, as thouroughly as possible and some still don't get it....

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Paul Jacobs] #644054
03/25/10 09:17 PM
03/25/10 09:17 PM
M
moparr Offline
moparr  Offline
M

After reading this thread I have the need to respond to some of the things that have been brought up. These are in no order. If the car is being judged in showfield original class the judges do take into account original ,NOS and repo .THESE FACTORS ARE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT.At this level of judging a contestant is usually competing against others that are already use to taking the big trophy home in their area. So goes the name "the nationals". you are competing against the best from all over. At this level the cars are judged from what the judges can easily see from on ground level. Most people don't realize that if you win first in an original class the next year you must move up to senior division. You are then competing against other vehicles that won first in their original class . At this time you move into competing against a set of standards where much more attention is paid to original, NOS or repo. This is where things get really selective on your parts and the execution of your restoration. Most competitors liken it to OE judging but the car is not lifted up and a full undercarriage judging is not performed.This was designed on purpose so contestants can start out in the showfield, then move to senior and then if desired move into the OE arena. this was designed to spread out the cost of a restoration and the contestant can stop where he wishes or can continue on to compete at the higher level.As some have mentioned a manual set forth to restore your car by. A guide like this would be beneficial but Mopars as we all hopefully will agree are absolutely unique in many factors. They were built at multiple plants and were built on at least two or maybe three shifts. Each plant could have had numerous vendors supplying parts that definitely have minute differences . These examples also have to take into consideration A-bodies, B-bodies, C-bodies, E-bodies etc. Repeatedly over time people throw up the corvettes. They were built at one plant ,one shift and sometimes over time had a more selective smaller group of vendors and Mr. Jones put in all the dashes for 15 years. That is why the Mopars are so unique. A lot more people which in turn ran the chances of your Mopar being special compared to the other ones built the day before. for example, my new 69 Barracuda convertible had a loose dash assembly and a whole lot of the dashbulbs were never installed when brand new.Manuals are an assistance to restoring a car but then you have people who say it's in the manual that's how it has to be done even though your car has something off a little bit from what the manual says , people have a tendency to take the easy way and do it like the manual and then the cars become "cookie cutter clones" and their justification is it was in the manual.Examples like this could go on forever.A good friend of mine has a saying "the title is in my name and I will do the car to please me". So everybody do your car for you that's what makes the hobby go.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: moparr] #644055
03/28/10 11:50 PM
03/28/10 11:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OEM judging should be judge against a standard, NOT against another car\.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644056
03/29/10 01:27 AM
03/29/10 01:27 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

?? Nats OE Gold Certificate judging is done like that. So is the ICCA judging they have done so far. You surely already realize that?

So are you talking about some general show field of 200 cars all being judged against a standard?

Keith pointed out there were levels of judging they offer. As the levels go up, the number of cars judged goes down, and the time spent/allotted for a judge per car goes up. Pretty simple concept. And a pretty well thought out process.

If you want to judge 200 cars in a day to minute detail, spending 1 hour judging each car, rifling through some 50 page judging manual, with high level qualified volunteers... I just don't think that is practical and I don't think that is going to happen.

Putting manuals and judging bodies aside...

Do you have some idea of the level of attention, time, and detail that would satisfy you when your car is being judged?

Last edited by autoxcuda; 03/29/10 01:37 AM.
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: autoxcuda] #644057
03/29/10 12:39 PM
03/29/10 12:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

You surely already realize that?

Hi Steve,
It is quite obvious that this person has no clue concerning the OE judging process. There have only been about a half dozen people (who are deep in the program) that have tried to explain the intricacies of the program and why it is impossible to have a "one and only" manual for this particular venue. A few OE Judges have posted that manuals and printed data ARE readily available as it pertains to "protocol aspects" for these vehicles.

Dave Stuart, Steve Been and myself spent over 12 hours on Saturday trying to finish restoring the original Undercoating on the 1970 Valiant. The process and methods we were using were so unorthodox and unique that we were constantly joking about the "MANUAL" we would have needed for the process. It would have taken a large BOOK to explain what we were trying to accomplish for this ONE area and the next OE undercoat project may have required a completely DIFFERENT process depending on the starting point of THAT particular vehicle. Keep in mind that this guy ADMITTEDLY has NEVER been involved in an OE Restoration but continues to argue with those who have. I don't understand how a rocket-ship can make it to the Moon and back but I can assure you that I have better sense than to argue with a NASA engineer about specifics of how they should handle the Space Program or next mission! Like I said before, if this person ever takes the time to involve himself with an OE type restoration he will cringe with embarrassment from all the arguing and ridiculous comments he has made with regards to an OE "Manual". Until then it is like explaining trying to explain Calculus to a person with a level of first grade mathematics.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: autoxcuda] #644058
03/29/10 12:54 PM
03/29/10 12:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

?? Nats OE Gold Certificate judging is done like that. So is the ICCA judging they have done so far. You surely already realize that?

So are you talking about some general show field of 200 cars all being judged against a standard?

Keith pointed out there were levels of judging they offer. As the levels go up, the number of cars judged goes down, and the time spent/allotted for a judge per car goes up. Pretty simple concept. And a pretty well thought out process.

If you want to judge 200 cars in a day to minute detail, spending 1 hour judging each car, rifling through some 50 page judging manual, with high level qualified volunteers... I just don't think that is practical and I don't think that is going to happen.

Putting manuals and judging bodies aside...

Do you have some idea of the level of attention, time, and detail that would satisfy you when your car is being judged?

My comments and thoughts ablout this are what I have been speaking of all along in this thread. From what I understand of the Nationals judging is that there is too much laditude for judges to award points based on their thoughs of what is right rather than what a judging standard states.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644059
03/29/10 01:05 PM
03/29/10 01:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

My comments and thoughts ablout this are what I have been speaking of all along in this thread. From what I understand of the Nationals judging is that there is too much laditude for judges to award points based on their thoughs of what is right rather than what a judging standard states.

OE is about being able to follow details and a specific criteria as it relates to originality. Take your spelling for instance! It is a tell tale sign that you have no inkling of what it takes to be involved with an OE process.
You really should have stopped at the beginning your second sentence. You have no understanding of the OE program or it's Judging!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644060
03/29/10 01:21 PM
03/29/10 01:21 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
You guys make the modified classes look better and better!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644061
03/29/10 03:14 PM
03/29/10 03:14 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

At which level is there an issue?

As Keith stated there are three levels: judged, senior and OE level. Each is seperate and should be addressed specifically seperate.

Heres the 2009 Results list: http://www.moparnats.org/documents/09RESULTS2.pdf

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #644062
03/29/10 03:35 PM
03/29/10 03:35 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

You guys make the modified classes look better and better!

Honestly they are harder. They inherently have to leave it up to the "latitude for judges to award points based on their thoughts"

There are not written standards for a modified car. But yet modified awards like the Riddler are highly prestigious and highly regarded.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: autoxcuda] #644063
03/29/10 05:06 PM
03/29/10 05:06 PM
Canuckville
68Cbarge Offline
master
68Cbarge  Offline
master

Canuckville
I went to a few judged type show with my C.
I got beat at one show by a highly customized C.
Another show did not even have a C body class stating there were not enough pre-registered C's to warrant judging.(translation;nobody knew how to judge them.)
I enjoy looking at the high end judged cars and commend the people who spent their life savings and done the hard work to get there.
Setting the bar and creating a guideline where other can emulate them is flattering.
Given the results of mass production and inconsistencies there is no set "guideline".
In the world of Mopar never say never.

So,I am in it for fun.
I am a winner everytime I get the thumbs up,or nice car comment from kids and people of all ages.
That is gratitude at its highest that nobody can judge.

I am not worried about anchors on my bolts--I drive a boat..

'68 Newport Custom Barge on a Budget!! BOAB
1973 Satellite WAGON! 318- 3 on the tree!!
2008 Chrysler 300c HEMI!
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: autoxcuda] #644064
03/29/10 08:15 PM
03/29/10 08:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Honestly they are harder.

I don't think that is completely true. The judging may be more subjective but not the actual work on a vehicle. I have done 3 "modified" cars and 3 OE cars. The Modified vehicles were not as difficult because there were no "rights" or "wrongs" to comply with. The only concern was the "craftsmanship" of how things were done. The paint, assembly hardware, metal finishes, chrome, etc.... was completely determined by MY taste and desire. The OE cars offered ZERO latitude concerning the style or variation of how they were restored. The craftsmanship was STILL there but had to match an EXACT predetermined appearance of someone else's craftsman ship that was performed 40 years ago. I can't wait to start the 1969 T/A project because I can deviate from all the drips and runs and other "flaws" that were done at the factory. In some aspects it will feel like I am on vacation not having to stick with every little nuance that was performed by the assembly plant. The paint will be nice and slick! It will have beautiful triple plated chrome! Perfect fit and finish! Ah....just the thought of those tasteful "modifications" brings a sense of calm and serene joy to my soul!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6