IL
B
bluestar2 Offline OP
enthusiast
bluestar2  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

IL
Seeing the earlier post about over restoring a car Vs. OEM type restorations got me thinking.
In original class judging(not the OE class), shouldn't more wight be given to the use of NOS parts or refurbished original parts than using Repo. parts?
It appears to me that many times a pretty repo. part is given the same or more respect and points than if the restorer had used NOS parts or refurbished the original parts.
In my experience, the judges are not taking this into consideration when the car is judged and the judging sheets should have an area for giving the car more points for keeping the car more "original".
I know that in the Mopar Nationals judging the points are based on condition and originality. A car can get equal points for condition and originality. I feel that more weight should be given for originality.
Any thoughts on this?
Mark @ Blue Star Performance

Mike LaBattaglia
Blue Star Performance
Phone: 815-223-8424 10-6 CST
Email: sales@bluestarperformance.com
Many more parts and cars @ http://bluestarperformance.com
Chrysler Classic Events 2008 Mopar Builder of the Year
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bluestar2] #643966
03/18/10 01:35 PM
03/18/10 01:35 PM
IL, Aurora
A
ademon Offline
master
ademon  Offline
master
A

IL, Aurora
some big parts are noticeable repop, like fan shrouds, pie tins, b-body square tach, some other smaller stuff like nuts and bolts not as noticable if they are not dead on.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ademon] #643967
03/18/10 01:54 PM
03/18/10 01:54 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
It will vary with the judging body involved. IMO original production line parts in mint condition with all of the original and correct part#'s and date codes, etc. will ALWAYS have an advantage over anything else in an OE judging situation (OE being original as it rolled off the assembly line).

Some will mix words, have varied opinions, attitudes, etc. but the bottom line is that calling anything short of the above description "correct" would be a contradiction of terms, and be an attempt to change history.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #643968
03/18/10 02:12 PM
03/18/10 02:12 PM
IL
B
bluestar2 Offline OP
enthusiast
bluestar2  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

IL
Scott, I agree that in OE judging as delivered is a must and usually original parts are favored but I am asking about cars restored to original appearance and being judged in the original class vs. modified. I see time and time again in many venues cars with noticeably repo. parts scoring above cars that were done with tons of NOS and refurbished original parts but looking "pretty" being judged higher.

Ademan, Yes, many of the parts are easily noticeable some others are to the right eye so to speak. Tail light bezels, side markers, hoses, washer bottles,etc. are some things that come to mind.

Mike LaBattaglia
Blue Star Performance
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bluestar2] #643969
03/18/10 02:53 PM
03/18/10 02:53 PM
near Port Huron, MI
Paul Offline
master
Paul  Offline
master

near Port Huron, MI
I see the distinction between stock restored and OE Gold classes as two entirely different animals. It's like comparing a Div-1 basketball team to a Div-2 team, they do the same thing, but are not equal.

My take is if you are in an 'original stock restored' type class, where the owner/restorer did not prep the car for the OE concours correct paint daub, factory original NOS air in the tires and velvet glove class, that reproduction parts should look correct and no points taken if they are used. In the event, that two equal cars make it to the top, then would be the time to take special consideration as to whether its OEM or Repop. (tie breaker situation)

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Paul] #643970
03/18/10 03:02 PM
03/18/10 03:02 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Quote:

I see the distinction between stock restored and OE Gold classes as two entirely different animals. It's like comparing a Div-1 basketball team to a Div-2 team, they do the same thing, but are not equal.

My take is if you are in an 'original stock restored' type class, where the owner/restorer did not prep the car for the OE concours correct paint daub, factory original NOS air in the tires and velvet glove class, that reproduction parts should look correct and no points taken if they are used. In the event, that two equal cars make it to the top, then would be the time to take special consideration as to whether its OEM or Repop. (tie breaker situation)

That's my personal opinion as well. Well said.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: burdar] #643971
03/18/10 03:17 PM
03/18/10 03:17 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Again, it really depends on the judging body, they all judge using different criteria, and from what I've seen most "show field" judinging is HIGHLY subjective to the guy holding the clip board's opinion.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #643972
03/18/10 05:18 PM
03/18/10 05:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Again, it really depends on the judging body , they all judge using different criteria, and from what I've seen most "show field" judinging is HIGHLY subjective to the guy holding the clip board's opinion.

And there in lies the problem for most people. This is why there should be an available judging manual for people restoring or showing their cars to prepare from that ALL of the judges use and adhere to so there is no room for a particular judges "personal opinion."

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bluestar2] #643973
03/18/10 07:54 PM
03/18/10 07:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

"In original class judging"

Hi Mark,
I think the category or class quoted above answers the basic question. In the Ford World their class for originality (similar to OE) is the THOROUGHBRED CLASS. The problem there was some of the judges were allowing certain items to slip through because they were considered too difficult to find. Things like the original Battery, Tires, Exhaust, etc.... the perishables! So what did they do? They "watered down" the criteria by allowing those items to compete on an equal level with cars that DID NOT incorporate those particular original pieces. About 9 years ago I was shocked to see an all original Boss 302 get the same Gold classification as another participant who had a reproduction battery, tires and exhaust system. There was so many disgruntle people complaining that they decided to come up with a new class called the PLATINUM THOROUGHBRED. The "Thoroughbred Class" originally stated that not ONE part could be a reproduction and be allowed to participate in that venue. They basically did what I stated in the other thread and changed their definitions to accommodate their agenda! There are some participants who can now "brag" that they have a "THOROUGHBRED" car even though in reality, they do not!! I've said it before and I'll say it again....HISTORY does not change, only our awareness and perception of it. I guess you can apply that to certain definitions. If they don't include or make you feel good, someone will simply move the fences!!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bluestar2] #643974
03/18/10 08:21 PM
03/18/10 08:21 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
oooohhh, eeeeeee, aahhhh, this is a touchy subject

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: joelson6] #643975
03/18/10 08:57 PM
03/18/10 08:57 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
Mark,
My thoughts are, unfortunately, a lot of show car judges might be knowledgable, but fewer can tell an NOS part vs a repo. For instance, how many people even reading these forums can instantly tell you what the differences are in repo vs original plug wires, radiator caps, radiator cores, battery cables etc? And this board is full of very sharp people!
There are some VERY good repo parts out there, but there are always minute details, that only someone who studies both parts in fine detail, would know. I think the cars using NOS parts vs. repo parts is what actually seperates not only the class-but the judges!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Paul Jacobs] #643976
03/18/10 09:46 PM
03/18/10 09:46 PM
New York
N
NYAL23 Offline
NYAL23  Offline
N

New York
I think what is also happening is these days you cannot find nos parts. It is very difficult to find mopar nos muscle car parts. We are almost forced to use repops.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: NYAL23] #643977
03/18/10 10:21 PM
03/18/10 10:21 PM
Wausau Wi
C
Convertcuda Offline
mopar
Convertcuda  Offline
mopar
C

Wausau Wi
If you look hard enough you can find NOS parts. You will have to take out a second morgage on your house before you buy. It's the assembly line parts that cost the real money and knowlege to figure out. There are many differences betweeen assemlby line and NOS.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Convertcuda] #643978
03/18/10 11:30 PM
03/18/10 11:30 PM
IL
B
bluestar2 Offline OP
enthusiast
bluestar2  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

IL
That is exactly what I am talking about. NOS can be found if you take the time and effort to do it and shouldn't that be rewarded?

Paul, I believe you are correct, many of the judges can't tell the difference. Maybe in the "Big Show" in the original classes an OE judge needs to be involved to make the distinction in original or repo. otherwise as Dave said we are watering down the judging to suit the masses.

Shouldn't an award really need to be earned?

As far as using the originality factor to be a tie breaker, shouldn't that already have been factored in before it gets that far? Original is the point of an original class after all isn't it?

Mike LaBattaglia
Blue Star Performance
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bluestar2] #643979
03/19/10 02:52 PM
03/19/10 02:52 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
OK, i took this approach with my Challenger.

if the NOS part was obscenely expensive, i used repo parts.

if it's visible and you can noticeably tell the difference between the two, I went with NOS

i looked for a lot of original parts, cleaned them up and they looked and are correct.

i wanted to drive my car, so ALL NOS parts would be a waste of money for me.

i only had two frivolous NOS buys so far

NOS left fender - $700
NOS 14" trim rings - $600

as for the judging thing, i can give a rats a** what people think and say about my car. it's mine and not theirs. if they have a negative comment then go build you own. judges can keep all the trophies, I'm out to meet people and have a good time!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: joelson6] #643980
03/19/10 03:24 PM
03/19/10 03:24 PM
Minneapolis, MN
H
hemi70se Offline
top fuel
hemi70se  Offline
top fuel
H

Minneapolis, MN
Mark, Great topic for discussion since I think the judging needs to put more weight into this. I had my Hemi Charger judged at the Nats last summer and I don't think they took into account one bit all the NOS steering and suspension parts I had on it. I spent 10 years gathering up all the NOS front susp parts and I'll bet I have $3000 into them. I even spent $1000 on an NOS pair of front shocks with the correct part #. Seems as they would judge it no different as though I had all Moog aftermarket in it, which I could have bought much cheaper and had the next day. It's just nice to feel some reward for not taking the easy way out.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: joelson6] #643981
03/19/10 03:52 PM
03/19/10 03:52 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

OK, i took this approach with my Challenger.

if the NOS part was obscenely expensive, i used repo parts.

if it's visible and you can noticeably tell the difference between the two, I went with NOS

i looked for a lot of original parts, cleaned them up and they looked and are correct.

i wanted to drive my car, so ALL NOS parts would be a waste of money for me.

i only had two frivolous NOS buys so far

NOS left fender - $700
NOS 14" trim rings - $600

as for the judging thing, i can give a rats a** what people think and say about my car. it's mine and not theirs. if they have a negative comment then go build you own. judges can keep all the trophies, I'm out to meet people and have a good time!

That's great, everyone should enjoy the hobby and thier cars to meet thier personal level of satisfaction.

That being said, if you bring your car to be judged (meaning that nobody is "judging" your car unless you asked for it to be judged), don't blame the judges for pointing out things that are incorrect due to the personal choices you made in restoring your car.

Bluestar, I agree with you, cars that have correct parts (NOS production line correct parts, properly restored original, etc.) should recieve higher scores than those that have the same parts replaced with a reproduction or incorrectly restored original parts.

The ICCA OE Gold judging body is developing a system which leaves room for both types of cars, those restored with a high number of reproduction parts, and those which have a higher number of original/NOS parts used in thier restoration. I won't go into depth here because detailed perameters have not been set in stone yet. Basically what is done is that there are colors assigned to the points.

For example a black point would be for an original componant, and a red point is assigned to a reproduction componant.

At the bottom of the score sheet the black and red points are totalled seperately then combined for a total score, a car using a high number of correct original parts might have a total of 96 percentage points (most cars have 2-3,000 total points possible) which would make the car an "OE Gold" scoring car. Since most of it's componants are originals, most of that 96% (say 80%) would be "black" points, and the remaining (16%) would be red. Where as the car using more reproduction parts might have the same 96% OE Gold score but that score would have a larger number of "red" points, say 56% red and 40% black.

In the above scenario a hobbiest could still build a car to an "OE Gold" level, but do so affordably using less expensive/available parts. This system is also fair to the other person who went the all out and spent the time and money to do his car using as much NOS as possible because the ICCA keeps permanant records of how each car scores. The higher "black" point cars will always be recognized as being more historically correct.

Two scenarios for the above owners:

Reproduction parts user: "I have a car that scored 96% OE Gold in ICCA show judging, it's a 56% black point car"

OEM parts user: "I have a car that score 96% OE Gold in ICCA show judging, It's an 80% black point car"

Both people have bragging rights to an OE Gold car and a person considering which car to use as a reference restoration model would then have a clear understanding of which car really was more accurate to what rolled off the assembly line when doing his own car. Personally I see it as a win/win for all involved.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #643982
03/19/10 04:23 PM
03/19/10 04:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I know this part of a quote was not yours Scott (and you briefly referenced it) but I could only laugh and shake my head when I read it. Judges simply do their job......they judge what is brought WILLINGLY to their venue/event. Why would anyone take such a hostile stand against a group of people that do what they are assigned to do? Judges do not scour the shows looking to criticize and put cars down for displaying personal characteristics! They don't care what people do to their cars!!! Their job is simply to determine if a vehicle exhibits the necessary characteristics to be deemed worthy of a predetermined set of standards! I have yet to see ANY judges on a mission to find show participants so they can "have a negative comment" about what they bring to a show. If you don't want the critique of a judge....don't put your car in a judged event.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #643983
03/19/10 04:44 PM
03/19/10 04:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Bluestar, I agree with you, cars that have correct parts (NOS production line correct parts, properly restored original, etc.) should recieve higher scores than those that have the same parts replaced with a reproduction or incorrectly restored original parts.

The ICCA OE Gold judging body is developing a system ....
In the above scenario a hobbiest could still build a car to an "OE Gold" level, but do so affordably using less expensive/available parts.
Both people have bragging rights to an OE Gold car and a person considering which car to use as a reference restoration model would then have a clear understanding of which car really was more accurate to what rolled off the assembly line when doing his own car. Personally I see it as a win/win for all involved.

Brother Scott,
You might want to re-evaluate that line of judging. It falls right in step with the Ford program that I mentioned earlier in this post. Think of the name of your class....."OE." If it is an OE class there should be NO concessions for reproduction parts. The program has simply been watered down to allow those OE "bragging" rights that you mentioned. It is like having a contest for the most beautiful Virgin but saying that one Virgin has had sex a couple times so she/he can only be rated to a "black" or "red" level. The initial concept is a contradiction in terms to the program's intent! You may not agree but "OE" means ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT just like "Virgin" means PURE. You can't have all these cars getting OE Gold but with explanations and/or excuses. A vehicle is either worthy of an OE Gold classification or it needs to digress and be ranked in a lower class due to it's OWN shortcomings.

Dave

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #643984
03/19/10 05:56 PM
03/19/10 05:56 PM
IL
B
bluestar2 Offline OP
enthusiast
bluestar2  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

IL
Dirk, Believe or not your car is one that gave me this idea. When I looked at it in Farmington I could see the level you had gone to with the car. When I heard how you were judged(not by passers by but by the judging staff) at both Carlisle and the Nats. I knew you may be in trouble. I think the car could have received a better score if it had been OE judged.
As for the possible new ICCA judging criteria, I think it should not be called OE judging but make up a new name. Those that receive the OE gold but with an asterisk next to it probably will fail to mention the level of red and black points, only say the car is OE Gold certified.
But back to the main subject, I feel the current criteria of judging needs to be changed for the original classes to better reflect the times. There are many good repo. parts out there now(and it is getting harder to tell them from NOS) but ordering from a catalog should not be the same as spending your time scouring swap meets and the internet for NOS or quality used original parts.

Mike LaBattaglia
Blue Star Performance
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #643985
03/19/10 06:04 PM
03/19/10 06:04 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Dave,

First of all it's not my judging system, I'm just one of the judges involved.

As far as watering it down, I understand where you are comming from but I don't agree. There is a very specific difference between the two cars and it's kept on record. If the cars judged have improvements (or vice versa) they can be re-judged at a later date to give them to a higher level or just for an update in the ICCA records to.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #643986
03/19/10 06:22 PM
03/19/10 06:22 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
i'm not knocking the people that want the OE gold . hey everyone needs a hobby. and i'm glad there are people out there that are the meticulous with their restorations. it gives everyone a reference for their cars.

as for the judges, I'm not knocking them either. some shows you go to you HAVE TO ENTER YOUR CAR and IT WILL BE JUDGED, or you'll be parking with the nissans and acceller-yotas. well, you can put "don't judge" on the dash card too, which I've done in the past.

car show judging is not an easy thing either. i've seen extremely nice restored cars lose to a 79 t-bird pink and maroon paint with a leopard print interior

what some people won't do to their cars

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #643987
03/19/10 06:30 PM
03/19/10 06:30 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
Quote:

Quote:

I know this part of a quote was not yours Scott (and you briefly referenced it) but I could only laugh and shake my head when I read it. Judges simply do their job......they judge what is brought WILLINGLY to their venue/event. Why would anyone take such a hostile stand against a group of people that do what they are assigned to do? Judges do not scour the shows looking to criticize and put cars down for displaying personal characteristics! They don't care what people do to their cars!!! Their job is simply to determine if a vehicle exhibits the necessary characteristics to be deemed worthy of a predetermined set of standards! I have yet to see ANY judges on a mission to find show participants so they can "have a negative comment" about what they bring to a show. If you don't want the critique of a judge....don't put your car in a judged event.

it's not hostile, it's my opinion. you taking it the wrong way

let me clarify, it was a run on, i should have started a new paragraph.

i didn't mean the judges opinion of my car. i understand their job. what i meant was, i've seen so many people tear other people's cars apart, this is not correct, that's not factory, this is painted the wrong color, a factory stamp is not where it is suppose to be, you don't have the right air in the tires, etc. etc. for that, go do your own car, this is mine!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #643988
03/19/10 06:50 PM
03/19/10 06:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wasn't inferring that it was yours Scott. By your involvement I only assumed you were in agreement with it's point of view. A few people in these posts have said that i have tried to press my view and opinion on others. Let me be perfectly clear that not one word I have spoken has been my "opinion." To the contrary, it is THOSE guys who have spoke their opinions while continuously ignoring the facts. Reality is what it is! You can either accept it or be blindsided by it!

First of all Scott you and I are friends so our commentary should not be viewed as divisive. The term "OE" means original equipment. Period. That is not "my" definition or description. Unlike these other folks who claim I am trying to "spin" my opinion, I simply ACCEPT reality for what it is!!! Think about it Scott....if all these cars can get OE Gold certified with varying degrees of reproduction parts, what is the purpose of the program? Why not just certify EVERY car OE Gold and then proceed to tag them with the appropriate, "except for this and this and this and that"! Nobody gets offended and everyone's a winner! Is that really the direction we want this hobby to move in? Why not just set things up to appropriately represent what they ACTUALLY are? Is a car any different (in reality) if it is classified as a Silver recipient compared to an OE Gold car BUT with a 56% black or red or whatever stipulation? It reminds me of Ed Norton on the Honeymooners! He didn't want to be called a "Sewer Worker"....he wanted to be called "An Underground Engineer". The job position was the same regardless of the title! A title or classification does not make the car. The car itself should be the "Show".

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #643989
03/19/10 07:51 PM
03/19/10 07:51 PM
U.S.A.
C
Captain Flapjack Offline
mopar
Captain Flapjack  Offline
mopar
C

U.S.A.
wasnt it "subterranean sanitation engineer" ??

back to the topic,
unless a car is 100% survivior an OE status is not obtainable according to the different levels discussed here

i mean how far does it go?

what you can see or what you cant see too (brake shoes, pads, oils, air, grease, camshaft, bearings, etc)

as close a copy of an original paint job, if the paint isnt factory pack mixed from the year the car was built then its not "OE" ????

are nos parts refered to as reproduction because they were produced after the car was assembled and were reproduced by the factory, even if exact.
but what if the part was made prior to the cars production?
there is a point to that i guess

what if the same mfg company was found and they started making widgets again with the same materials and same tooling, is that a reproduction??

or if a new company makes a part, and you can hold both parts in hand and not tell the difference from an original,
what happens then??

i fully agree that the cost and effort of locating and buying correct nos parts shouldnt be ignored, but what if they are indistingishable from a reproduction ??

just to play devils advocate

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Captain Flapjack] #643990
03/19/10 08:41 PM
03/19/10 08:41 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
hey Beast, (that sounds weird)

it goes as far as someone is willing to take it.

there is an OE thing in every facet of this hobby. not just Chrysler, you can include Ford and GM too. I've seen it first hand. those guys are doing the same thing. and most of these guys (Mopar, Ford and GM) will set the standard, next to original unrestored.

since this thread is called - Original restorations Repo. VS original parts -

here is a question to everyone,

what do you prefer? repo parts or original/NOS parts?

is it a money factor in your decision which to buy?

i've found that all the repo parts i buy, i have to modify it in some way, shape or form.

original and NOS parts fit like a glove.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: joelson6] #643991
03/19/10 09:49 PM
03/19/10 09:49 PM
IL
B
bluestar2 Offline OP
enthusiast
bluestar2  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

IL
Good question Joelson6.
I can see both sides of it. Repo. parts are getting better and better but in most cases they do need to be worked. Think of it, the original tooling and engineering probably cost millions of dollars to create and the repo. manufacturer, due to realistic limitations of return on investment, only can spend thousands and the look and fit may not be as good as original parts.
Now as far as using repo. vs. original parts, I feel there is a place for both. For some cars the goal is different than others and using repo. parts is perfectly acceptable and other cars have a different goal and NOS or original parts are needed.
It is sometimes humorous to listen to some people say "why would I buy that old part, I can get a brand new one from Year One" and then later they go to install it and are frustrated when it does not bolt on easily or the fit is not good.

Mike LaBattaglia
Blue Star Performance
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bluestar2] #643992
03/19/10 11:16 PM
03/19/10 11:16 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
Remeber too, that in concourse judging classes at the nats, there are 12 cars that must be judged in one day and there is only so much time they can spend on each car. It's kind of hard to REALLY judge a car to great detail in the alotted amount of time. Also the judging sheets are general in nature. And again, you can't expect all the volunteers who judge the shows to know all the minute differences. Think about the following scenario-A judge walks up to a car and sees an NOS grille in the car. He may not know it's NOS, but he sees the die/stretch marks and fuzzy paint lines. Then he goes to the next car and sees a grille that was done by, say Alltrim or MrBelvedere. This grille is going to be flawless in it's finish. If he doesn't know the difference he may just mark the "prettier" grille higher in value vs the NOS grille!
In OE judging, they spend hours going over everything with a fine tooth comb. We are talking thousands of points and hundreds of categories! It's just not practical to do at most shows.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Captain Flapjack] #643993
03/20/10 12:12 AM
03/20/10 12:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

what if the same mfg company was found and they started making widgets again with the same materials and same tooling, is that a reproduction??

I have always said that NOS parts that were made to repair or replace original parts were nothing more than reproduction parts. They are definitely "period correct" but they were reproduction replacement parts that were commissioned and sanctioned by Chrysler. The NOS mufflers that most everyone uses today (including myself) are NOT like the ones that originally came on our factory cars. Arin was the independent subsidized manufacturer who was awarded the bid to provide the assembly line mufflers and I believe Maremont ended up getting the secondary contract to make the mufflers that were used for repairs and/or replacements. Both styles were made using engineering specifications supplied by Chrysler. This line of thinking really opens up various trains of thought for OE judging and what should or should not be acceptable.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #643994
03/20/10 12:37 AM
03/20/10 12:37 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
First off to start, yes Dave, you and to that end I consider all of this friendly conversation.

Quote:

This line of thinking really opens up various trains of thought for OE judging and what should or should not be acceptable.

I don't see this as a new train of thought at all. When I judge a car I only scrutinize and compare the parts with parts that would have come on the them on the production line, there is no other "correct" period (IMHO). Anything else with a visible difference of any kind is a deviation of one sort or another and would lose points accordingly.

On the topic of a part being classified as a reproduction part vs a service replacement/continuation part. That's a little harder to define and I'd agree there are points where the lines get blurry for sure. Another blurry line would be the subject of which reproduction part or continuation part is the "best" in terms of matching a production line example. Since VERY few "Perfect" reproduction parts (Perfect being that they are indistinguishable to ANY degree as compared to production line examples) exist, there is a bit of subjectivity involved in making a call on which of them is the best replacement part, and along that line, which of them might garner more points in a judging situation.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #643995
03/20/10 08:18 AM
03/20/10 08:18 AM
Texas
B
bogusracer Offline
enthusiast
bogusracer  Offline
enthusiast
B

Texas

Quote:

This line of thinking really opens up various trains of thought for OE judging and what should or should not be acceptable.

I don't see this as a new train of thought at all. When I judge a car I only scrutinize and compare the parts with parts that would have come on the them on the production line, there is no other "correct" period (IMHO). Anything else with a visible difference of any kind is a deviation of one sort or another and would lose points accordingly.

On the topic of a part being classified as a reproduction part vs a service replacement/continuation part. That's a little harder to define and I'd agree there are points where the lines get blurry for sure. Another blurry line would be the subject of which reproduction part or continuation part is the "best" in terms of matching a production line example. Since VERY few "Perfect" reproduction parts (Perfect being that they are indistinguishable to ANY degree as compared to production line examples) exist, there is a bit of subjectivity involved in making a call on which of them is the best replacement part, and along that line, which of them might garner more points in a judging situation.

O.K. Now we're getting to the heart of the matter. What really constitutes an NOS part? Something thats been sitting on a shelf for 20 to 40 years, or something of recent manufacture that is Licensed and built to the Manufacturers Specifications by a licensed Parts supplier?

As most of you probably don't know every Auto Mfg. has / had multiple suppliers for the same parts. Each supplier was given a set of "Blueprint Specifications" and built the parts to those specs. However there are plus / minus tolerances within all specifications, so you could end up with a part that didn't fit eactly right during production and afterward when the Vendor/supplier made replacement parts. that's why you see variation within the same part when looking / comparing multiple examples of like parts. ie. '70 Cuda Grills variation in the argent paint color - some light, some darker ! Which one is Correct? They both were ... LOL

So how can anyone reasonable say "What is Right" for these cars?

In my opinion after 34 years of working in an Auto Mfg. Plant, I believe that any part manufactured under License and built to the Manufacturers specifications constitures an "NOS" part. Regardless of build date.

Most of you out there call them Repo parts, but suppliers like BEA (as an example) that are licensed and provide the part numbers cast or stamped/painted into the parts and built to Manufacturers Specifications are building NOS parts.

The distinguishing difference is the Date of Build that is generally cast or stamped on a part.

That in IMHO is the only way to seperate the two.

However now you can get correctly date coded NOS / Repo parts for the cars so if they are cast with the part numbers and proper dates, one would have to reasonale accept them as OEM or NOS as long as they are produced under proper licensing and built to spec.

Not trying to step on anyones toes, just expressing a different perspective on this subject.

Just my worth.

Bogusracer

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bogusracer] #643996
03/20/10 08:50 AM
03/20/10 08:50 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

O.K. Now we're getting to the heart of the matter. What really constitutes an NOS part? Something thats been sitting on a shelf for 20 to 40 years, or something of recent manufacture that is Licensed and built to the Manufacturers Specifications by a licensed Parts supplier?

As most of you probably don't know every Auto Mfg. has / had multiple suppliers for the same parts. Each supplier was given a set of "Blueprint Specifications" and built the parts to those specs. However there are plus / minus tolerances within all specifications, so you could end up with a part that didn't fit eactly right during production and afterward when the Vendor/supplier made replacement parts. that's why you see variation within the same part when looking / comparing multiple examples of like parts. ie. '70 Cuda Grills variation in the argent paint color - some light, some darker ! Which one is Correct? They both were ... LOL

In my opinion after 34 years of working in an Auto Mfg. Plant, I believe that any part manufactured under License and built to the Manufacturers specifications constitures an "NOS" part. Regardless of build date.

Most of you out there call them Repo parts, but suppliers like BEA (as an example) that are licensed and provide the part numbers cast or stamped/painted into the parts and built to Manufacturers Specifications are building NOS parts.

The distinguishing difference is the Date of Build that is generally cast or stamped on a part.

However now you can get correctly date coded NOS / Repo parts for the cars so if they are cast with the part numbers and proper dates, one would have to reasonale accept them as OEM or NOS as long as they are produced under proper licensing and built to spec.

Not trying to step on anyones toes, just expressing a different perspective on this subject.

Just my worth.

Bogusracer

OK,

But then can we at least throw out the parts that are made in China?

MB

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: HPMike] #643997
03/20/10 11:37 AM
03/20/10 11:37 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
In ragards to OE judging and frommy earlier post below, I'll say it again:

Quote:

It doesn't matter how the part is classified/named, etc.; Reproduction, NOS, Continuation, etc. If it has any visible differences as compared to what came on them on the assembly line they will get points deducted.

If choosing replacement parts for my own car I look for parts that (IMO) match the production line examples the best. While this is somewhat subjective, I have found that if there happens to be several parts to choose from (current reproductions, old service parts, continuation parts still produced, etc.) that there is usually one that most agree is the best match for production, and on occasion, some that are 100% perfect matches to production examples. It's all about educating yourself on the variables and selecting what you feel is the best.

When it comes to defining what "NOS" means, in my opinion it means "New Original Stock" or "New Old Stock". I first remember the term being used MANY years ago in reference to old dusty long obsolete dealer inventory, etc. long before many reproduction parts ever existed. Since there is no hard & fast definition these days it seems many would like to assosiate the term with thier "new" parts in an effort to boost thier perceived values.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bogusracer] #643998
03/20/10 11:56 AM
03/20/10 11:56 AM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio

Just my worth.

Bogusracer

Very well put, we are fighting a battle that can not be won. Whether we like it or not, the term “OE” means original equipment and nothing less than that. "OE" parts are assembly line when built parts a not a part that was made a day after the vehicle build date.

Judging, oh boy, hope this isn’t taken the wrong way. There isn’t a judge on the planet qualified to judge an entire car to a true absolute "OE" status. Lets face it, unless you put together a group of guys that live and breath a specific model, say an ebody, that can “Helen Keller” a screw and tell you where it goes, with documentation, not to mention different years there will always be room for opinions to contradict the judging. I’ve been working on ebodies all my life, I don’t consider myself anywhere near an expert.

I truly understand the thought process that Dave Wise had when developing his judging criteria using red/black points and I applaud him for that. It allows more people to restore their cars and participate in this awesome hobby we all get so snotty about. I am grateful for what he has been able to accomplish and share with us. However, there is a big difference between true "OE" and what is being judged under their "OE" judging criteria. The term “OE” has no business in this type of judging, call it something else, anything but “OE”.

We complain about the guys that have the knowledge and finances to achieve “true” gold, it’s not for everyone, fact is, I’ll bet of all the cars judged gold many would not make the grade if judged with the absolutes it takes to get there. Let’s not dilute the true meaning of “OE Gold”, lets applaud the ones that have made it there. Let’s face it, 99% or more of us restoring cars, myself included, don’t make the grade to walk in that upper echelon of factory perfection.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: HEMICUDA] #643999
03/20/10 01:06 PM
03/20/10 01:06 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Quote:

Just my worth.

Bogusracer

Very well put, we are fighting a battle that can not be won. Whether we like it or not, the term “OE” means original equipment and nothing less than that. "OE" parts are assembly line when built parts a not a part that was made a day after the vehicle build date.

Judging, oh boy, hope this isn’t taken the wrong way. There isn’t a judge on the planet qualified to judge an entire car to a true absolute "OE" status. Lets face it, unless you put together a group of guys that live and breath a specific model, say an ebody, that can “Helen Keller” a screw and tell you where it goes, with documentation, not to mention different years there will always be room for opinions to contradict the judging. I’ve been working on ebodies all my life, I don’t consider myself anywhere near an expert.

I truly understand the thought process that Dave Wise had when developing his judging criteria using red/black points and I applaud him for that. It allows more people to restore their cars and participate in this awesome hobby we all get so snotty about. I am grateful for what he has been able to accomplish and share with us. However, there is a big difference between true "OE" and what is being judged under their "OE" judging criteria. The term “OE” has no business in this type of judging, call it something else, anything but “OE”.

We complain about the guys that have the knowledge and finances to achieve “true” gold, it’s not for everyone, fact is, I’ll bet of all the cars judged gold many would not make the grade if judged with the absolutes it takes to get there. Let’s not dilute the true meaning of “OE Gold”, lets applaud the ones that have made it there. Let’s face it, 99% or more of us restoring cars, myself included, don’t make the grade to walk in that upper echelon of factory perfection.

Both of you ,,,VERY well said.
Thats worth both and

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: gtx6970] #644000
03/20/10 02:24 PM
03/20/10 02:24 PM
IL
B
bluestar2 Offline OP
enthusiast
bluestar2  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

IL
Very well said Mike Ross.....OE Gold needs to stay as the top of the heap and not watered down to make it easier to compete.

As for what Paul Jacobs said about a judge walking up to a car with an NOS grille vs. the beautifully restored one, I can equate that to having a woman who has Natural beauty vs. a woman who needs to spend 2 hours getting ready to go out. For many the made up girl gets most of the attention but the natural beauty is far more appealing to me!
The perfect restored grille does look great but sometimes the factory flaws are more beautiful!!

Mark

Mike LaBattaglia
Blue Star Performance
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: HEMICUDA] #644001
03/20/10 02:26 PM
03/20/10 02:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Keep in mind that if our newer parts are allowed to be considered "NOS" the acronym will need to be translated as NEW ORIGINAL STOCK. (There I go again....changing things to facilitate my agenda!)

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: gtx6970] #644002
03/20/10 05:31 PM
03/20/10 05:31 PM
Texas
B
bogusracer Offline
enthusiast
bogusracer  Offline
enthusiast
B

Texas
Scott, Mike Ross , Bill and all concerned.

I'm not trying to water down the OE judging etc. I agree with what the objectives are for anyone who works to achieve "OE-Gold" status for a car they are restoring. They are trying to duplicate the processes that went into producing a car just as it came off the Assembly Line. I applaude them for their efforts and I know how much work goes into restoring a car to try and achieve that level. Having put cars in the Mopar Nats Judging many years ago and having helped a friend who got a Silver Certificate on his Superbird in the OE Judging, I know about the efforts involved.

I also acknowledge the efforts of those who have established the standards for the judging of these vehicles. What a hard job they undertook.

The majority of us out there are not trying to achieve OE-Gold Status. We just want a car that is representative of what it was like when new. We like/want parts that have correct casting numbers, trademark logos etc. on our cars, but the "Build -Dates" aren't that critical on non visible parts. ie wiring harnesses, ight bulbs etc.- (O.K. let the bashing begin .... LOL)

I just wanted to voice my opinion about what has become a somewhat controversial issue to many, and express my opinion based on my knowledge about what happens in assembly plants and within the service parts divisions.

Many people are not even aware that in the 60's, 70's and up into the 80's most Manufacturers took the unused parts left in the assembly plants, after the model year was completed, and boxed them up and sent them to the service parts division to be sold as "service replacement parts" ie. NOS parts.

With advances in parts management / material handling, most plants are on a "Just in Time -JIT" delivery basis for their parts now. The Assembly Plants no longer keep a huge inventory of parts on hand for build. ie - 2 to 4 hours parts on hand today vs. 2-4 weeks parts on hand back in the day.

That's why back in the day there was so much substitution of parts when MFG. ran short on the current part, they'd substitute a like part that would function the same but may not be spec'd for the build. Most of the time the replacement part would be an "Upgrade part" ie. higher cost option part.

Today - we have groups of individuals who have taken the bull by the horn and spent their time, money and effort to provide the parts to keep our Cars and Hobby alive. Some have gone the extra mile to become licensed by the Manufacturers and get signed contracts to produce the parts, utilizing the trademark logos and part numbers/ marking etc. just like they were originally made. These as stated in my opinion are NOS parts. New - Old Stock.

Let's not all get caught up in the semantics of which is "better/ more correct", and bash anyone who uses a Licensed - new mfg. Part (IMHO - NOS part). They are using the best they can afford.

We should applaud each effort for the hard work, dedication and workmanship put into restoring the cars, and THANK the guys who produce our much needed parts.

After all that is what enables us to continue to enjoy our Hobby.

Time to step down off my soapbox ...... LOL

Also Scott - The Six Pack carbs you restored for me look and work Great - Thanks.

Best wishes to all.

Bogusracer

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: gtx6970] #644003
03/20/10 06:28 PM
03/20/10 06:28 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Reading over these posts it's like a who's who on my cell phone list , we all know each other and I think most of us knows where the others are comming from. I also think that while we all have our individual opinions on the subject, in GENERAL we all are on the same page. As you said Jeff, we would not be where we are in the hobby today without the efforts of many of the guys posting here, Bill, Dave, and Mike, have all contributed greatly towards getting some of the finest and most accurate parts available today back into production. All of that "Old" NOS would be allot more costly and difficult to find without them

*Glad to hear that your carbs are working well Jeff! Thank you for your business!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #644004
03/20/10 08:08 PM
03/20/10 08:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I personally have absolutely no interest in restoring a car with the intentions of having it judged in an OE or any other kind of class, but here is my take on all of this.

Back in 2000 I bought a second owner 1968 Hemi Charger that was all numbers matching with history to the original owner that need restoration. I began looking around for a judging manual for OEM cars. I just wanted to have a guideline to make sure I didn't spend time and money doing something wrong during resto to this great car. I found that the venue that people were using was the Mopar Nationals and that there was no judging manual available to "regular people." This meaning that the ones judging these cars either just had their own notes or a manual that they would not "share" with outsiders. To add insult to injury, the majority of the judges were also people in the business of restoring others csrs for profit and were often judging car THEY had restored. Obviously I was not the only one that thought this was totally wrong but no one seemed to be doing anything about it.

The only other experience I had ever had with a situation like this was with Corvettes I used to own. Since 1974 NCRS has produced and sold judging manuals for the cars they judge on an OEM level. Anyone could buy them and they incouraged people that want to participate to buy them prior to starting their resto. Everything was spelled out regarding what was right and what points were awarded right or wrong.

I know that since then there is now a new judging format with a written judging manual available for this purpose for Mopars, however from the sounds of this thread, it seems that there is STILL a lot of laditude for individual judges to make their OWN decisions regarding scoring rather than adhereing to black and white written judging rules. I hope I am wrong for the sake of the people having cars judged.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bogusracer] #644005
03/21/10 12:07 AM
03/21/10 12:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

.....to keep our Cars and Hobby alive.

I want to thank you Jeff for taking the time to share your thoughts as they relate to this topic. It is good to hear the views of those who represent the Heart and Soul of our Industry. I want to take just a moment to convey a thought regarding the input and continuation of our Hobby. Our group of guys (Steve Been, Dave Stuart, Tom Barcroft and myself) have been classified as a little eccentric (aka; crazy) for how we handle our restorations. These cars are NOT being restored for a "wow factor" or any other self serving purposes. It is however, very interesting to research and document the history of these classic machines! In order to better serve the Hobby a manufacturer/supplier should know first hand the trials and turmoil that a person experiences when restoring these vehicles. Unless you are intimately involved with the processes there is no way to truly relate with your target market. Researching factory processes to the "nth" degree provides a test bed for new products and ideas that can hopefully help others with their projects. Eleanor Roosevelt was quoted as saying, "people should learn from the mistakes of others since you can’t live long enough to make them all yourself". Believe me when I say that our group has encountered a tremendous amount of mistakes along the way. If we are able to come up with new ideas and concepts to help others with their projects then all of the sacrifice and hard work is worth it. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts Jeff!!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644006
03/21/10 09:18 AM
03/21/10 09:18 AM
U.S.A.
C
Captain Flapjack Offline
mopar
Captain Flapjack  Offline
mopar
C

U.S.A.
Quote:

These cars are NOT being restored for a "wow factor" or any other self serving purposes. It is however, very interesting to research and document the history of these classic machines! In order to better serve the Hobby a manufacturer/supplier should know first hand the trials and turmoil that a person experiences when restoring these vehicles. Unless you are intimately involved with the processes there is no way to truly relate with your target market. Researching factory processes to the "nth" degree provides a test bed for new products and ideas that can hopefully help others with their projects. If we are able to come up with new ideas and concepts to help others with their projects then all of the sacrifice and hard work is worth it.

Between your exhaustive efforts and great results with your Challenger and now your Valiant, what products have you been able to develop and offer for public consumption?

Thank You

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644007
03/21/10 10:18 AM
03/21/10 10:18 AM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
Quote:

Quote:

I have always said that NOS parts that were made to repair or replace original parts were nothing more than reproduction parts. They are definitely "period correct" but they were reproduction replacement parts that were commissioned and sanctioned by Chrysler. The NOS mufflers that most everyone uses today (including myself) are NOT like the ones that originally came on our factory cars. Arin was the independent subsidized manufacturer who was awarded the bid to provide the assembly line mufflers and I believe Maremont ended up getting the secondary contract to make the mufflers that were used for repairs and/or replacements. Both styles were made using engineering specifications supplied by Chrysler. This line of thinking really opens up various trains of thought for OE judging and what should or should not be acceptable.

Dave is it true that some of the NOS stuff are rejects,I here that alot and am wondering is it true?I know of people that have bought NOS quarters for their cars and things like door gaps were off and etc.,etc.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: 70RT Charger] #644008
03/21/10 01:22 PM
03/21/10 01:22 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
It's true that a lot of NOS sheetmetal does not fit good-compared to the original stampings!
Bogusracer, I have to disagree with you on the new reproduction licensed parts being considered NOS. And, I back that statement up, by saying some of the "licensed" parts today are not up to true original quality/fit. A perfect example would be glass & moldings. I have had NOS stuff here that fits perfectly, and tried the same moldings from 3 different sources, and there was no comparison! So to put some of these parts in the same category of NOS is a stretch. I will say the closest parts to perfect are those manufactured by Mike at BEA & Dave Walden, and some metal from AMD. The goal I have in all my restorations is to use as many of the original parts that came on the car as possible. This is hard to do with stuff like interiors, but a lot of items can be replated/repaired while keeping all the original casting/date codes.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Captain Flapjack] #644009
03/21/10 01:29 PM
03/21/10 01:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Between your exhaustive efforts and great results with your Challenger and now your Valiant, what products have you been able to develop and offer for public consumption?

EVERY product we manufacture actually started because of these projects. I didn't own a Chrysler vehicle until January of 2002. I bought the Black Cuda and it basically took off from there. ECS did not have a Chrysler line at that time. As I started researching the decals for the Cuda I realized that they were nothing like the originals so I decided to do the same thing I did for the Ford Hobby and reproduce ones that were correct. The entire process began out of a personal need for quality parts. The Carpet and Date Coded Glass began with the Cuda as well as the foundation for the entire Decal line, including the VIN decals. The Challenger prompted the new Package Trays, R/T Stripe Packages, specialized tags such as fuel sending unit cards, engine ID tag, "Chrysler Corporation" latex ink Dry Transfers, etc..... The Valiant project prompted one of the best products to date! Since we lost points on the Challenger for having oil on bare metal parts, I needed to find a way to preserve the natural finish of metal in an inconspicuous way. We are finalizing a "dry" preservative for bare metal that is undetectable when it is applied to bare metal parts. The only hold up with that product is our packaging process.

Basically every product ECS offers originated from a personal need (for parts) in order to restore the Cuda, Challenger and Valiant!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644010
03/21/10 09:04 PM
03/21/10 09:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why have none of you guys in the know responded to my post? Is it still the same and a touchy suBject?

"I personally have absolutely no interest in restoring a car with the intentions of having it judged in an OE or any other kind of class, but here is my take on all of this.

Back in 2000 I bought a second owner 1968 Hemi Charger that was all numbers matching with history to the original owner that need restoration. I began looking around for a judging manual for OEM cars. I just wanted to have a guideline to make sure I didn't spend time and money doing something wrong during resto to this great car. I found that the venue that people were using was the Mopar Nationals and that there was no judging manual available to "regular people." This meaning that the ones judging these cars either just had their own notes or a manual that they would not "share" with outsiders. To add insult to injury, the majority of the judges were also people in the business of restoring others csrs for profit and were often judging car THEY had restored. Obviously I was not the only one that thought this was totally wrong but no one seemed to be doing anything about it.

The only other experience I had ever had with a situation like this was with Corvettes I used to own. Since 1974 NCRS has produced and sold judging manuals for the cars they judge on an OEM level. Anyone could buy them and they incouraged people that want to participate to buy them prior to starting their resto. Everything was spelled out regarding what was right and what points were awarded right or wrong.

I know that since then there is now a new judging format with a written judging manual available for this purpose for Mopars, however from the sounds of this thread, it seems that there is STILL a lot of laditude for individual judges to make their OWN decisions regarding scoring rather than adhereing to black and white written judging rules. I hope I am wrong for the sake of the people having cars judged."

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644011
03/21/10 10:38 PM
03/21/10 10:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Why have none of you guys in the know responded to my post? Is it still the same and a touchy suBject?

"I personally have absolutely no interest in restoring a car with the intentions of having it judged in an OE or any other kind of class, but here is my take on all of this.

Hi Darryl,
What response were you looking for? It is certainly your prerogative NOT to be involved with OE vehicles or to feel upset about the judging programs. One question I have after reading your view is......why request or rely on a judging manual when you pretty much have concluded that there is too much "latitude" in the process? One thing to remember is that Corvettes are the exception when it comes to "manuals" and protocol for factory procedures. They were ALL built at one location so it is fairly simple to accurately document how things were done. There was also just one platform or model of vehicle being built at that Corvette facility. All other "non specialty" cars were built in various plants scattered across the country and MANY different models were constructed under one roof. Confusion and process overlap were build characteristics that showed up on many of the original Chrysler vehicles.

If you rely on someone's lead, opinion or rule of thumb, two things usually take place. Number one you are investing significant time and money on concepts that might or might not be correct. Second, you cheat yourself of knowledge that is gained from the "personal" aspect of the project. It takes more time and effort but in the end you won't be sitting on pins and needles waiting to find out whether or not your efforts have been in vain! If you do the research with no preconceived expectations and document the original characteristics for what they are, then no one can argue whether or not it is correct. Do the research, accurately process and document the facts, incorporate them accurately in your restoration and you have won the battle! It doesn't leave much room for judging interpretation or error does it!?

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644012
03/21/10 11:46 PM
03/21/10 11:46 PM
Canuckville
68Cbarge Offline
master
68Cbarge  Offline
master

Canuckville
How many pages before the mod locks this one up??
Anyhoo,I am doing up a 68 C body.
I have to take the time to search for NOS trim parts since there are no reproductions available.
I am using some repop that interchanges from B body,that's it.(door handles,window cranks,arm rest bases)
I am not going for gold,yet NOS is priced like gold.
I am documenting all the NOS I use,should I enter a judged show.
I am doing it mainly for myself and do not care what judges think.
In fact judges are not well versed in C bodies anyways.

When the little kids says "Nice car" or Gramps says "I had one just like it" I am a winner every time..

I always admired the high quality restorations,the efforts put into them and the owner's time and money involved entering a OE class.
It inspired me to do the best I can on my own car-and still enjoy it as hobby-even though it is just a C.

'68 Newport Custom Barge on a Budget!! BOAB
1973 Satellite WAGON! 318- 3 on the tree!!
2008 Chrysler 300c HEMI!
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: 68Cbarge] #644013
03/22/10 01:00 AM
03/22/10 01:00 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

How many pages before the mod locks this one up?? :hammer

For What?

I want to clear up a comment I made in a previous thread. Chrysler did not manufacture terrible vehicles! There were many cars that had built in variations due to human repetition and habits on the assembly line. There was another thread a few days ago where someone inquired about the correct direction of shackle bolts. Another member was kind enough to show a factory drawing that illustrated an exploded view of the shackle assembly. It showed the shackle bolt nuts facing to the inside of the vehicle. That is how the factory INTENDED for the vehicles to be built. On our valiant project the set up is opposite to what those drawings show. The attaching nuts are facing the OUTSIDE of the vehicle! It does not hurt or impede the functioning of the car but it is a deviation of the original engineering instructions. That type of "Confusion" characteristic will need to be shown to the judges in the photos that were taken during our documenting stage.

(Thanks for the conversation and correction Korey! I hope this clarifies the other post.)

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644014
03/22/10 05:32 PM
03/22/10 05:32 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
Quote:

Quote:

How many pages before the mod locks this one up?? :hammer

For What?

I want to clear up a comment I made in a previous thread. Chrysler did not manufacture terrible vehicles! There were many cars that had built in variations due to human repetition and habits on the assembly line. There was another thread a few days ago where someone inquired about the correct direction of shackle bolts. Another member was kind enough to show a factory drawing that illustrated an exploded view of the shackle assembly. It showed the shackle bolt nuts facing to the inside of the vehicle. That is how the factory INTENDED for the vehicles to be built. On our valiant project the set up is opposite to what those drawings show. The attaching nuts are facing the OUTSIDE of the vehicle! It does not hurt or impede the functioning of the car but it is a deviation of the original engineering instructions. That type of "Confusion" characteristic will need to be shown to the judges in the photos that were taken during our documenting stage.

(Thanks for the conversation and correction Korey! I hope this clarifies the other post.)

Dave is dead on with this- even though the factory had an engineering drawing for the way things were supposed to be done, a factory worker did it the way he felt that day! That is, among other factors, why a complete black and white restoration book could never be written to encompass all areas of these cars. There is soooo much to still learn about these cars it's not funny. I believe, every year, that we mearly have scratched the surface of knowledge. I mean think about that statement for a minute. How many different models, and plants and date changes for components were there?!
I have seen the most absolute, absurd things while taking these cars apart, and most people as well as some judges, would cry foul if I took a car to a show with some of the mistakes the factory made. I have taken cars apart that had no heater hose brackets installed and they dang near layed on the manifolds, as well as cars with missing nuts on suspension parts-tell me how that passed inspection??

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: 68Cbarge] #644015
03/22/10 07:12 PM
03/22/10 07:12 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
Quote:

How many pages before the mod locks this one up??
Anyhoo,I am doing up a 68 C body.
I have to take the time to search for NOS trim parts since there are no reproductions available.
I am using some repop that interchanges from B body,that's it.(door handles,window cranks,arm rest bases)
I am not going for gold,yet NOS is priced like gold.
I am documenting all the NOS I use,should I enter a judged show.
I am doing it mainly for myself and do not care what judges think.
In fact judges are not well versed in C bodies anyways.

When the little kids says "Nice car" or Gramps says "I had one just like it" I am a winner every time..

I always admired the high quality restorations,the efforts put into them and the owner's time and money involved entering a OE class.
It inspired me to do the best I can on my own car-and still enjoy it as hobby-even though it is just a C.

Tell me about it. it's almost impossible to find certain parts for my 70 Cordoba. the few parts i have found i snatched up in a second, no matter what the cost was.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644016
03/22/10 11:03 PM
03/22/10 11:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Darryl,
What response were you looking for? It is certainly your prerogative NOT to be involved with OE vehicles or to feel upset about the judging programs. One question I have after reading your view is...... why request or rely on a judging manual when you pretty much have concluded that there is too much "latitude" in the process? One thing to remember is that Corvettes are the exception when it comes to "manuals" and protocol for factory procedures. They were ALL built at one location so it is fairly simple to accurately document how things were done. There was also just one platform or model of vehicle being built at that Corvette facility. All other "non specialty" cars were built in various plants scattered across the country and MANY different models were constructed under one roof. Confusion and process overlap were build characteristics that showed up on many of the original Chrysler vehicles.

If you rely on someone's lead, opinion or rule of thumb, two things usually take place. Number one you are investing significant time and money on concepts that might or might not be correct. Second, you cheat yourself of knowledge that is gained from the "personal" aspect of the project. It takes more time and effort but in the end you won't be sitting on pins and needles waiting to find out whether or not your efforts have been in vain! If you do the research with no preconceived expectations and document the original characteristics for what they are, then no one can argue whether or not it is correct. Do the research, accurately process and document the facts, incorporate them accurately in your restoration and you have won the battle! It doesn't leave much room for judging interpretation or error does it!?

I am looking for answers to my specific questions in my post.

I did not rely on one as I couldn't get one at that time. My laditude comment was based on the commentary of the guys in the know in this thread.

Yes, Corvettes are one specific model, but that arguement has nor stopped the current availability of manuals now did it?

If you are referring to this with the use of the judging manual I would think there should be no room for error (as per judged using there ifo righy or wrong) if it is adhered to, but that was one of my questions. If the manual is wrong which they sometimes are, they are always a work in progress and sometimes change or are added to. However that is not for an individual judge to determine until the manual is actually changed weather he is right or not.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644017
03/22/10 11:40 PM
03/22/10 11:40 PM
IL
B
bluestar2 Offline OP
enthusiast
bluestar2  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

IL
Having worked in auto assembly plant for 18 years(unfortunately in the 90's-2000's) I know firsthand that engineering blueprints are just "plans" for how it should be done. Everyday the plan needs to change to keep the line moving efficiently and many times a worker is moved to a new job to cover for an area that is short handed that day.
Many times when the worker is moved to a new job he only gets about 10 minutes to learn the job and then is left to figure it out as he goes. Many times when this happens he is just trying to keep up with the line( new car every 49 seconds) so as not to get behind and if the part fits(even if it doesn't) he sends it down the line just trying to survive.
Many other times there can be a part shortage or even a running change to improve flow and parts or processes change accordingly.
As far as a manual for restoring a certain model goes, wouldn't that be nice? But then everyone would be an expert!!!!!

Mike LaBattaglia
Blue Star Performance
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bluestar2] #644018
03/23/10 06:02 PM
03/23/10 06:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Having worked in auto assembly plant for 18 years(unfortunately in the 90's-2000's) I know firsthand that engineering blueprints are just "plans" for how it should be done. Everyday the plan needs to change to keep the line moving efficiently and many times a worker is moved to a new job to cover for an area that is short handed that day.
Many times when the worker is moved to a new job he only gets about 10 minutes to learn the job and then is left to figure it out as he goes. Many times when this happens he is just trying to keep up with the line( new car every 49 seconds) so as not to get behind and if the part fits(even if it doesn't) he sends it down the line just trying to survive.
Many other times there can be a part shortage or even a running change to improve flow and parts or processes change accordingly.
As far as a manual for restoring a certain model goes, wouldn't that be nice? But then everyone would be an expert!!!!!

Things haven't changed since the 60s with regards to what you have stated here.

Regarding judging manuals for seperate models, it isd my understanding that ICCA now has them.

I am still trying to get an answer regarding if the judges in this venue still have laditude and don't have to adhere strictly to the judging manual? No one seems to want to address this, why?
It seems to me that there is no purpose in having a manual that someone restores their car to those standards only to be held hostage with points not given due to a judges opinion. Just asking if this is still going on as it used to at the Nationals?

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644019
03/23/10 06:36 PM
03/23/10 06:36 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
YES. the judges DO have latitude at the Nationals. I have judged there for 10 years, in various classes, and we are always briefed the day of judging to allow for production variables and if we have a question, to ask someone more knowledgable or simply not to deduct points in that area.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644020
03/23/10 07:43 PM
03/23/10 07:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I am still trying to get an answer regarding if the judges in this venue still have laditude and don't have to adhere strictly to the judging manual? No one seems to want to address this, why?

I did address you question but I think you are looking for a sentence or two that will explain everything. You are basically asking a question as vague as, "What do I need to do in order to be healthy"? There isn't a quick reference to provide EVERY aspect of the assembly of a vehicle! Have you ever researched the engineering that goes into a Camshaft for instance? You have a large TEAM of people with full time jobs just to design and manufacture that ONE part! Do you really think that with one or two reference manuals it is possible to uncover EVERY ASPECT that goes into the assembling of a vehicle? I hope people can now understand why it is so difficult for one person or even a team of guys to process what THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of employees were involved with when building these cars. I COMMEND the Judges for the research and service they VOLUNTARILY provide! Never criticize the efforts of another until you walk a mile in their shoes!!!

I will attempt to answer this again but whether you refuse to accept the concept is completely up to you. I am not looking for an argument and I would hope that everyone posting here is genuinely looking to obtain knowledge! It is impossible for anyone to know Everything. COLLECTIVELY we should (hopefully) move closer to finding the facts!

There are manuals, fliers, books, reference guides, etc.... that show how things were done at the factory. These instructional guides convey how a paint job was applied, how an "Assembly" was pieced together or which correct parts were required. No manual or reference material is going to tell ANYONE where drips should or shouldn't be, what scratches should be found on certain assembly parts, etc...etc.... If you are looking for specifics regarding the "signature" characteristics of an assembly line employee you will never find it unless "A PARTICULAR VEHICLE" is used as your reference. You can instruct someone how to sign their name but do you think that they are capable of doing it the EXACT same way twice? Of course not! Using the same logic you will never get an explanation as to WHY the thousands of variations occurred on these cars. These vehicles and their assembly features involved human labor and inconsistencies! Cars today are built almost exclusively by robots that do not use a "tolerance" but an absolute "spec" in their quality control program. The "How To's" ARE out there when it comes to these old cars. It just takes a little effort to find them. It doesn't make sense to think that you can learn the characteristics an OE car via "quick reference" material! (That is like saying that you WANT to be a patient person and you WANT to be patient...RIGHT NOW)! Every little nuance within those human performed tasks may never be completely disclosed. The only way to become familiar with the individual aspects of a car is to research, research, research, research and then research some more! The ability to "judge" those personal traits comes from HOURS of documenting and researching. This allows you to be able to recognize the peripheral "consequences" of what was left behind during the assembly process. To document every aspect in a "How To OE Manual" would take forever! I don't know how I can be any clearer. I hope this helps!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644021
03/23/10 08:01 PM
03/23/10 08:01 PM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

What happens if you copy something during restoration that happens to be very specific to your car...
Can a judge tell you it's wrong, because he or she has not seen that on other cars or in a manual?

Example:
Lets say your whatchamacallit is held on by two bolts that have a symbol "H" on them....
Every manual you've read, or that the judges have read says the bolts should have an anchor on them. Every other similar car has anchors on them ...

...but you've owned the car since new, never had that part replaced and you have photo documentation...of your "H" bolts...

Can a judge deduct points for incorrect bolts?

Then I come along....I'm restoring a rust bucket that was in a thousand pieces...I see photos of your car and your bolts....I add "H" bolts to my car, because I know your car scored gold...
I take my car to the Nats the following year...but I get deducted for having the wrong bolts....

Could this scenario happen?

For most people who don't have mint cars to start restoring have to rely on other examples for the facts...
But could easily be confused

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: anlauto] #644022
03/23/10 08:26 PM
03/23/10 08:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

With all due respect to that line if questioning Alan, I try and avoid all the various hypothetical possibilities. Before I (We) enter these events I make sure that our research is not contingent on "opinions" or other unsubstantiated unknowns. This has been the mind set of everyone involved with this Valiant project. Those who usually crash and burn realize they did NOT take the time to document those "peculiar" characteristics that confronted them during the project. We have a few of those oddities but I can assure you that we took pictures form every angle under the Sun to guarantee that our restoration efforts would not be left to incorrect interpretation.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: anlauto] #644023
03/23/10 09:42 PM
03/23/10 09:42 PM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Dave I certainly was referring to any one of your cars...

The point I was trying to make was...if the bolt is proven correct for "one" car VS the norm of several cars...what happens if I choose the copy that "one" car ?
Again I refer to ME as coping because in 26 years of Mopars I've NEVER dismantled a 100% origianal car, they've all been nothing more then a bucket of bolts.

In many cases....What was proven to be correct on "one" car has been copied and copied and copied on to several other cars ...leading us to a "norm" which has been generally accepted by the judging public for years ... when it may not have been 100% correct in the first place

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644024
03/23/10 09:47 PM
03/23/10 09:47 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
I agree with Dave. If you are doing this type of job, document the variances.

Mark it down folks, this may only happen once. Like a special bolt only used a one plant on one day of one year.

I want my fair share
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: anlauto] #644025
03/23/10 11:38 PM
03/23/10 11:38 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
Quote:

Dave I certainly was referring to any one of your cars...

The point I was trying to make was...if the bolt is proven correct for "one" car VS the norm of several cars...what happens if I choose the copy that "one" car ?
Again I refer to ME as coping because in 26 years of Mopars I've NEVER dismantled a 100% origianal car, they've all been nothing more then a bucket of bolts.

In many cases....What was proven to be correct on "one" car has been copied and copied and copied on to several other cars ...leading us to a "norm" which has been generally accepted by the judging public for years ... when it may not have been 100% correct in the first place

Alan,
There are a few cars I too have gotten in boxes, in a million pieces, and wondered what the heck I was going to do in that situation. What I learned from this, was, about 10 years ago I started taking pictures of every original car I could find-whether they were in a junkyard or at a show or in someones garage! Then with those pictures, I documented the assembly plant, and date, they were built. I now have probably 10,000 pictures of documentation, at a huge expense. This gives you a very good indication of what COULD have been done for your car. Unfortunately, unless you take that particular original car apart to restore, you will never know for sure.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: anlauto] #644026
03/23/10 11:40 PM
03/23/10 11:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Can a judge tell you it's wrong, because he or she has not seen that on other cars or in a manual?

Hi Alan,
I can't comment on every venue that is judging Mopar vehicles but I have never seen a scenario where ANY of the judges at the Columbus Nationals have used such a narrow minded approach with their Judging. Keith Rohm has been involved for many YEARS with this Hobby and has done the type of research that is necessary to distinguish the variations I referred to. His back ground comes from the assembly plants so he has "book" and "street" smarts when it comes to how these vehicles were manufactured! I have spent HOURS talking to him about the Ins and Outs of the judging process. Try not to assume that the judges are oblivious to many of the "quirks" that you have made reference to. Being able to identify the "engineered footprint" of a vehicle as well as the "human" element of the vehicle (paint runs, etc...) is what separates the really good Judges from the bad ones! They are aware of how things were done at the factory and can recognize the fashion in which they were replaced or restored.

An area of a car can be refinished with correct parts but the thought process or common sense aspect of the job may not appear right. It is one thing to know how something was done but another to make it look correct. For instance, how many of you have seen exhaust manifolds that exhibit over spray and were INTENDED to look factory correct? Some of these manifolds exhibit a light, fogged over spray but the part they are bolted to (the head) has a heavy application of paint. That is a mental mistake in the process! Someone obviously painted the manifold off of the engine while attempting to manipulate the paint coverage on the parts. It is impossible to have two pieces bolted together, painted at the same time and the parts exhibit a different paint pattern. I have seen the same thing with Starters and the over spray pattern on their aluminum housing. If it was painted together....PAINT IT TOGETHER! The WORST is the OE cars that were painted one section at a time. This can be done BUT it is usually hard for the painter to consistently be aware of where they are at in the process and usually screw up with the transitions from one area of the car to another. They get paint on the back side of frame rails and areas that show inconsistent spray patterns and directional flow. There are MANY other contradictions with restoration processes but THOSE are the things that usually get the point deductions in OE judging, NOT a bolt or screw that might exhibit a variation. If it appears to have been Restored or manipulated.......start all over!! It HAS to look like it was never touched or messed with!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644027
03/24/10 01:14 AM
03/24/10 01:14 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Do the Mopar Nationals OE judging use the ICCA judging format or are they still judged without an available to all judging manual?

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644028
03/24/10 11:47 AM
03/24/10 11:47 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Do the Mopar Nationals OE judging use the ICCA judging format or are they still judged without an available to all judging manual?

From an earlier post:

There are manuals, fliers, books, reference guides, etc.... that show how things were done at the factory. These instructional guides convey how a paint job was applied, how an "Assembly" was pieced together or which correct parts were required. No manual or reference material is going to tell ANYONE where drips should or shouldn't be, what scratches should be found on certain assembly parts, etc...etc.... If you are looking for specifics regarding the "signature" characteristics of an assembly line employee you will never find it unless "A PARTICULAR VEHICLE" is used as your reference. ....I don't know how I can be any clearer.

I personally do not know why there would ever be the need for an OE judging manual when the format or extent of involvement is basically up to the participant. On a personal level, having a "manual" or instructional guide would have hindered most of the findings that my personal research uncovered! I would not have wanted to follow the restrictions of a predetermined set of ideas or concepts! That is not what restoring an OE vehicle is all about. It isn't a true/false exam where you can get an accumulation of (abbreviated) data for a quick reference. The subject matter is too broad and takes much more than a little information here or there to allow full understanding of the concepts! If you are looking for a "quick reference" as a shortcut to get into the OE arena, you are probably interested in the wrong venue. You might be better suited for the programs that spell out what they would like for your car to represent, in spite of all the various individual characteristics. Once again, there ARE manuals that tell you how to build these cars. However, YOU WILL NEVER FIND ABSOLUTE MATERIAL THAT PROVIDES A BLANKET CONCEPT REFERENCING ALL THE NUANCES AND INDIVIDUAL CHARACTERISTICS THAT A CAR WAS BORN WITH! If you drop a glass jar of Jelly on the concrete, a "manual" can tell you that it will break and cause a mess. It can't provide absolute specifics as to where every drop of jelly is going to end up splattering! If there was a "Manual" for OE judging it would be very short and to the point:

Perform personal research, provide personal documentation and invest whatever personal time is necessary to learn the intricate processes involved. OE does not consist of "cookie cutter" instructions like you get when you purchase a plastic model car. If you don't like to do the research or WORK for an end result, find a different area of interest. It is what it is!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644029
03/24/10 03:08 PM
03/24/10 03:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

From an earlier post:

There are manuals, fliers, books, reference guides, etc.... that show how things were done at the factory. These instructional guides convey how a paint job was applied, how an "Assembly" was pieced together or which correct parts were required. No manual or reference material is going to tell ANYONE where drips should or shouldn't be, what scratches should be found on certain assembly parts, etc...etc.... If you are looking for specifics regarding the "signature" characteristics of an assembly line employee you will never find it unless "A PARTICULAR VEHICLE" is used as your reference. ....I don't know how I can be any clearer.

I personally do not know why there would ever be the need for an OE judging manual when the format or extent of involvement is basically up to the participant. On a personal level, having a "manual" or instructional guide would have hindered most of the findings that my personal research uncovered! I would not have wanted to follow the restrictions of a predetermined set of ideas or concepts! That is not what restoring an OE vehicle is all about. It isn't a true/false exam where you can get an accumulation of (abbreviated) data for a quick reference. The subject matter is too broad and takes much more than a little information here or there to allow full understanding of the concepts! If you are looking for a "quick reference" as a shortcut to get into the OE arena, you are probably interested in the wrong venue. You might be better suited for the programs that spell out what they would like for your car to represent, in spite of all the various individual characteristics. Once again, there ARE manuals that tell you how to build these cars. However, YOU WILL NEVER FIND ABSOLUTE MATERIAL THAT PROVIDES A BLANKET CONCEPT REFERENCING ALL THE NUANCES AND INDIVIDUAL CHARACTERISTICS THAT A CAR WAS BORN WITH! If you drop a glass jar of Jelly on the concrete, a "manual" can tell you that it will break and cause a mess. It can't provide absolute specifics as to where every drop of jelly is going to end up splattering! If there was a "Manual" for OE judging it would be very short and to the point:

Perform personal research, provide personal documentation and invest whatever personal time is necessary to learn the intricate processes involved. OE does not consist of "cookie cutter" instructions like you get when you purchase a plastic model car. If you don't like to do the research or WORK for an end result, find a different area of interest. It is what it is!

Well, what is not clear to me is that you did not answer my questiona. So, I will brake it apart for you.

1. DO THE MOPAR NATIONALS OE JUDGING USE THE ICCA
FORMAT?

I assume you are trying to tell me no, which would be the short simple answer and all I needed to know.

2.IS THIS INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO ALL THAT WANT
TO RESTORE AND HAVE THEIR CARS JUDGED?

NOW this is in reference to the items you listed above as used. Unless things have changed, I will ASSUME the answer is NO.

Why would someone want a judging manual? It is simple, just as with other makes and models that have OE judging, they want everyone to have the items they will be judged on BEFORE they spend a bunch of time and money doing something wrong that will cost them points in judging. The others WANT people to be able to restore their cars to the best possible example for competition.

The general complaints that I heard about the Mopar Nationals judging was that there was no guide for people to use to prepare their cars, and they were being judged by judges that were also judging cars that THEY had restored for others in the same competition. This is totally unacceptable to anyone with a brain. Further more, your right, why do you need a judging manual if the judge doesn't have to adhere to it and can make his own call on what they think is right or wrong, you certainly don't need a manual. Of course this can mean the same car without any changes from one year to another can be scored differently because of different judges scoring the car. OH YEAH, that makes PERFECT sence to me.

Now I am sure I will get another discertation talking in circles justifying this and maybe some excuse as to why the ICCA judging format WITH available to all manuals are no good, or lacking in someway, or some other excuse. However the bottom line is that it would be FAIR to all being judge to know what is expected in advance, and have concrete rules as to how the car is judged rather than it being a total judgement call by a particular judge. It also allows for many more people to BE judges because there is a written format to follow.

Other make's judging manuals have evolved over the years and are always subject to change with the uncovering of new fact based factory information that sometimes comes to light after years. This allows for cars that were scored in the past to later be wrong or right with regards to recently discovered information. These cars can then be judged again with a new score. It allows those that had things wrong to correct them and for those who were correct in the first place to get the points they were denied in the past. So why can't the Mopar Nationals adopt a written manual to use with this in mind that should satisfy the neighsayers that want to keep things that same in a same circle? With this venue in place it also opens up the possibility of REGIONAL OE judging just as it does with other models.

Feel free to now go ballistic.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644030
03/24/10 03:13 PM
03/24/10 03:13 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Quote:

. DO THE MOPAR NATIONALS OE JUDGING USE THE ICCA FORMAT? I don't believe so

TO RESTORE AND HAVE THEIR CARS JUDGED? Yes

http://www.iccahome.org/

I'll add my

As with any printed literature, use it for what it's intended to be, a guide.

Anytime you use any printed format to restore a insert your preferred subject matter here opens up a possibility for speculation.

I firmly believe the only true source of the end all, no speculation, no questions asked information is the car your working on as 'the' source.

Sure there were assembly procedures that were designed to be adhered to. But just like anything else made with human hands. There are going to be variables from one car to the next built on exact same line and the exact same day and the exact same person. It's human nature to seek an easier, faster , better way to do things that are done on a repetitive day in day out scenario.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: gtx6970] #644031
03/24/10 03:26 PM
03/24/10 03:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

. DO THE MOPAR NATIONALS OE JUDGING USE THE ICCA FORMAT? I don't believe so

TO RESTORE AND HAVE THEIR CARS JUDGED? Yes

Bill,
Regarding #2 when did this change? As stated earlier, in 2000-01 I asked for this information and was told it was not available.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644032
03/24/10 03:35 PM
03/24/10 03:35 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Quote:

Bill,
Regarding #2 when did this change? As stated earlier, in 2000-01 I asked for this information and was told it was not available.

At that time frame , it's wasn't avail.

Taken directly from Dave's ICCA site

Quote:

It is important to understand that this World Class Reference Manual is not the final word in Restoration or Judging. It is just the beginning of the assembly of objective information. This information will be used to assist in the restoration and impartially evaluate the historical correctness, workmanship, authenticity, and condition of a Mopar!

Last edited by gtx6970; 03/24/10 03:36 PM.
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: gtx6970] #644033
03/24/10 03:40 PM
03/24/10 03:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Bill,

Quote:

It is important to understand that this World Class Reference Manual is not the final word in Restoration or Judging. It is just the beginning of the assembly of objective information. This information will be used to assist in the restoration and impartially evaluate the historical correctness, workmanship, authenticity, and condition of a Mopar!

Exactly the way it should be, so if not, why aren't the Mopar Nationals using that format?

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644034
03/24/10 03:43 PM
03/24/10 03:43 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Quote:

Exactly the way it should be, so if not, why aren't the Mopar Nationals using that format?

Sorry, I can't answer that. They are 2 different judging bodies. and I'm no longer involved with either one by personal choice.( LONG story)

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644035
03/24/10 04:18 PM
03/24/10 04:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The general complaints that I heard about the Mopar Nationals judging was that....they were being judged by judges that were also judging cars that THEY had restored for others in the same competition. ....

Discussing that comment is about like discussing the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy or some other imaginary happenstance. No one at the Nationals restored a vehicle and then proceeded to judge that car. You might actually be confused WITH the ICCA. They are the venue that has Professional Restoration people involved with their judging programs....not the Nationals OE judging staff!

Quote:

Now I am sure I will get another discertation talking in circles justifying this and maybe some excuse

It has become quite apparent that you have never been involved with the restoration of an OE vehicle! Why don't you take the time to investigate the specifics before criticizing them and you will realize just how ridiculous your sarcastic sentiment has sounded. Trying to discuss this with you is like speaking German to a person that doesn't understand the language. Just because you don't have the vaguest idea about what is involved (in doing an OE vehicle) doesn't mean that it wasn't properly explained. Your warped interpretation of the scenario has somehow become self proclaimed FACT! Why don't you make idiots of all us guys who have actually been involved with the OE venue for all these years! Take a couple of minuets to write up an instructional manual and make a fortune selling "An Absolute OE Restoration Guide" that morons like myself were unable to grasp!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644036
03/24/10 04:52 PM
03/24/10 04:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Why would someone want a judging manual? It is simple, just as with other makes and models that have OE judging, they want everyone to have the items they will be judged on BEFORE they spend a bunch of time and money doing something wrong that will cost them points in judging. The others WANT people to be able to restore their cars to the best possible example for competition.....concrete rules as to how the car is judged rather than it being a total judgement call by a particular judge. It also allows for many more people to BE judges because there is a written format to follow.......

Your question/comments are in direct conflict with the premise and concept of OE judging. We are having a 10,000 mile 4 door Valiant being judged at the Nationals this year. Whose car should be used as the "benchmark"? Last years winner? Whose car should be the "line in the sand" for the car that we have over 2500 pictures of documentation? Should it be your car or maybe your friends car? What rules should be written in stone to go by during the judging process for MY car? Maybe you should start a POLL to see what everyone thinks!

The bottom line is that guys like you are looking for the easy way out. You are either too lazy to do the work or do not have the interest to see the project to the end. You would rather have someone else do your work for you because you don't have the patience it requires to finish the task! You can initiate all the POLLS you want in an attempt to gain support for trying to lower the bar and make it easier on yourself! OE Judging is for those who take the time to research and correctly document factory procedures. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen! It should never be compromised or water down to accommodate those who want to cut corners and cheat the process!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644037
03/24/10 06:58 PM
03/24/10 06:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OEM judged cars are typically judged based on the scrutiney of several like model SURVIVOR cars, factory Data, Color & Upholstery Books, original factory liturature, technical bulletins, etc. But you knew that.

A judging manual should be developed with these things as the basis and adhered to until there is additional proof that determines that something in the manual needs correcting. Until that time ALL cars should be judged based on that information in fairness to all. Is this so hard to understand? There should be no laditude that allows a single judge to make a scoring decision outside of the printed manual. In rare exceptions it should be decision based on several judges at the same event and only then with some kind of back up not just a personal OPINION.

Your Valiant is not the typical car that people restore and show, nor are there likely to be many SURVIVORS to compare it to. While I am sure that some will appreciate your undertaking of the car and the job you are doing, I think the vast majority of people will walk right by it at a show or judging event because they have no interest in a car like that. So, for the MAJORITY of the hobby who cares?

I hope this is not taken the wrong way, but from reading your posts I have to think that your are somewhat of an eccentric and go WAY overboard on things. This is good in some cases but way over the top on other things regarding what others think or care about.

I have never been to the Nationals and my comments about the judging of cars by judges that restored that car for others is based on things others have told me of, and it was not just one person but many that were remarking about it. This was all in the time frame of when I first inquired about being able to buy a judging manual for the Nationals OEM format in 2000-01. Maybe it has changed and if you remember I asked that in this thread.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644038
03/24/10 08:58 PM
03/24/10 08:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I personally have absolutely no interest in restoring a car with the intentions of having it judged in an OE or any other kind of class.....
.....from reading your posts I have to think that your are somewhat of an eccentric and go WAY overboard on things.

You might need to take a look in the mirror when claiming that I have went "WAY overboard" with my commentary Darryl. Take a look at YOUR original quote above. You initially claimed to have had "absolutely no interest in restoring a car with the intentions of having it judged in an OE...." Please don't take this the wrong way but you are either a blatant liar or simply enjoy arguing about things you don't care or know anything about. You sure have been vocal and posted quite a bit about having absolutely no interest in the OE World! You even started a POLL about a subject that you have claim to have absolutely no interest in. It appears you might have actually beat me on that "WAY overboard" concept! Funny how things come full circle to bite you when you least expect it! This usually happens when you can't keep a constant train of thought or recall what you said just a few days ago! Yes Darryl, it looks like the "OE mentality" doesn't suit your personality very well. You might want to actually consult a "Manual" about contradictory thoughts and actions!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644039
03/24/10 10:11 PM
03/24/10 10:11 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
I usually say that Dave is the polemical one, but it appears that other members seem to have caught the disease. Now Dave is the voice of reason. This is a backwards thread.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644040
03/24/10 10:25 PM
03/24/10 10:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Because "I" don't have an interest in doesn't mean I can not comment on what I think is right or wrong for the good of the hobby in this matter.

As I said originally, I became interested in this when I wanted to buy a judging manual for a car I was restoring but had no interest in having judge, I just wanted it for MY use. That inquiry set in motion many things that showed me there are things that obviously need to be changed for the good of the hobby in this area. You may not be able to see it but I am sure others can. We will see what others think when the poll ends.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644041
03/24/10 11:38 PM
03/24/10 11:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Because "I" don't have an interest in doesn't mean I can not comment on what I think is right or wrong for the good of the hobby in this matter............We will see what others think when the poll ends.

No one is debating that you have a particular view about a subject. Your problem is that you know nothing about the program yet you want to argue concepts with those who have been involved with it for years! Here is another perfect illustration of the type of person that you are.....remember saying this in another thread?

"Let me ask you this, if you are a meat lover do you have to raise your own steer, butcher it your self, store the complete carcass in your meat locker and cook it yourself to be able to eat it and be considered a meat lover?"

Your problem isn't that you can't be a "meat lover", your problem is that you want to debate the specifics! You want to argue with the Rancher about how they should raise the steer! You want to argue with the butcher about how they should correctly cut the meat. You want to argue with the cook about how they should correctly prepare the meat! The problem with you is that YOU NEVER DID ANY OF TASKS THAT YOU WANT TO ARGUE ABOUT! You ADMITTEDLY don't want anything to do with OE or ANY Judging but you want to change the judging program! Are you ?

I would imagine that you would tell Babe Ruth how to hit Home runs if he were alive today! The fact is you have no idea what it takes to research or restore an OE Car and all the ridiculous POLLS in the World will never change that fact. Do you think that getting a consensus from other people who never went through the OE program will change anyone's mind? Why don't you POLL those who have been through the program? Are they not the only qualified people to provide you with an accurate opinion poll? Quit wasting your time trying to change something you don't understanding or care anything about.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644042
03/24/10 11:59 PM
03/24/10 11:59 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
Maybe I can add some answers to some questions. The Mopar Nationals OE program has been in constant evolvement since 1990. It has been updated and expanded every year as more things are learned and the restorations have become better. The judging guidelines and score sheets are protected to prevent copycat judging, and to preserve the integrity of the system. Think of it this way. You could spend years and years perfecting a painting like the Mona Lisa. Then, someone comes along, and sells a paint by numbers kit that ends up as good as your painting. What was all your efforts worth, to be diminished instantly?

As Dave has clearly pointed out, and I agree 100%, if someone wants to compete in the OE field then it is THEIR responsibility to research on their own! Why should someone get a manual to tell them how to do everything, when people like myself, have spent 20 years learning all the intricate details? I realize in todays society everyone wants an easy way out, but even if their was a manual on the correct way a car should look, you still have to figure out how to make the finishes look right. Making a driveshaft look right is not as simple as sanding it down smooth and puting in NOS U joints!
Honestly, if there were a book to completely detail how to perform an OE restoration, it would take 25 books! Don't beleive me? I have 6-4" three ring binders of JUST PHOTOS of our latest restoration. Now just think if I documented the restoration of every component on that car, and the over 1000 hours. Just look at all the hard work Dave Wise has done on the fastener manuals, and how big they are.

Now to address some question about the judging staff judging cars they restore-THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN-PERIOD. As I have stated before, I have competed and judged in the Mopar Nationals program over 10 years. If a judge enters a car for competition, he must judge a totally different class. For instance, the years I enetered cars in the stock "concourse" classes, I judged Pro Street. I now judge the Young Guns class as I like talking to the younger kids just getting into this hobby. I have cars judged in another class (OE mainly). There is no conflict of interest if the participants and judges have INTEGRITY-which Keith Rohm demands!

Hope this helps a little.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: SomeCarGuy] #644043
03/25/10 12:01 AM
03/25/10 12:01 AM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
Quote:

I usually say that Dave is the polemical one, but it appears that other members seem to have caught the disease. Now Dave is the voice of reason. This is a backwards thread.

I think it's safe to say that Dave has re-written the books on the depth of OE Restorations....And if you keep agreeing with Dave we WILL have to lock this post

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644044
03/25/10 12:31 AM
03/25/10 12:31 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Back in 2000 I bought a second owner 1968 Hemi Charger that was all numbers matching with history to the original owner that need restoration. I began looking around for a judging manual for OEM cars. I just wanted to have a guideline to make sure I didn't spend time and money doing something wrong during resto to this great car.

One final point Darryl, read your above quote a few more times! Your appeal falls on deaf ears. You've had these cars since 2000. I didn't get my first Chrysler until 2002 and didn't even know HOW to spell MOPAR! Since that time I am on my third OE restored vehicle. The first two both won Gold awards in the OE Judging. I didn't have an OE Manual!! So whats your excuse? You have sat around for 10 years griping and complaining about how inept the OE program is because it won't "give" you a Manual. It all goes back to what I said in an earlier post, " The bottom line is that guys like you are looking for the easy way out. You are either too lazy to do the work..."

Where was the "Manual" for Paul Jacobs? He has more GOLD awards that anyone I know in the OE venue. If you want an "OE Manual" get off your rump and go make one! There have been plenty of people who have been successful without a "Manual" to this point. You want to know why? Because they made the commitment to do whatever it takes to accomplish their goal. You don't care about OE procedures Darryl! If you did.....YOU would be forging ahead and no one could stop you.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: gtx6970] #644045
03/25/10 06:26 AM
03/25/10 06:26 AM
www.mmcdetroit.com
MMC Detroit Offline
super stock
MMC Detroit  Offline
super stock

www.mmcdetroit.com
Quote:

Quote:

Bill,

Quote:

I have enjoyed reading everyone's view points on vehicle judging. Thank you for you comments and feedback.

We are always looking for the best and the brightest to assist our program in the documentation of the variations that are found with vehicles and how to judge them properly. The ICCA has developed a program that is dynamic and we are always trying to improve in process and information. I personally spend at least 40 hours per doing research on vehicles and developing documentation of as much as possible in a clear and concise format to share with everyone.

I'm personally committed to develop an objective judging system for the Mopar hobby to use. It is true that I have 50% of the individuals involved with the ICCA that restore cars. However, I consider them the best at their craft with a great deal of experience and knowledge on how Chrysler Vehicle left the factory. I’m leading the ICCA effort and I DO NOT RESTORE CARS FOR A LIVING. I research them.

Over 10 years ago I started out with a vision to create a uniform judging manual because the hobby needed one. I have judged cars for over 20 years and at every event people would ask questions that most experienced people in the hobby know but there are many other that do not. I cannot tell you how many times that I have pointed out something that is incorrect and they stated “If I would have only known I would have done it properly”.

The first E body reference manual that we developed over 6 years ago was 200 pages today that same manual is 1000 pages. The first fastener reference manual that we came out with 7 years ago was 50 pages today that same manual is 250 pages.

There has been over 50 people from all over the world that have contributed information that has been inserted into the applicable manual. This information has helped me document specific details on cars that I have never known with their assistance. The most recent information has come from Roger Wilson. He has provided the ICCA, and ultimately the hobby with information on GTX’s that were few known. That knowledge is captured in a manual for all to use. One of the primary contributors and an ICCA team is Byron Fettig. Byron has taken apart more Chrysler cars then anyone in the world. Him and I compare information found almost daily. Needless to say his applicable discoveries go directly into the applicable ICCA manual.

Please keep the positive feedback coming and I will do my best moving forward to craft out the best material and develop the most objective judging program available.

Stop by and visit with us at the Mopar’s in the Park in June and we can show you where the program is heading. We have an exciting ICCA event planned for that show and an event in Sept on the east that you will see information shortly on a news stand near you. Please keep in mind that we have a number of judging options available from basic advice to true O.E. (with out the RED points) as discussed earlier in the thread.

Thanks for you time.

Dave Wise 248.393.3970

MMC/ ICCA Detroit. The Motor City or where ever there is Mopars
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644046
03/25/10 12:36 PM
03/25/10 12:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Dave,

For your information bak in the very early days of NRS I WAS a judge whih was over 30 years ago.

Your ramblings on about me knowing nothing of the process is falling on deaf ears as I am perfectly aware of what is involved.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Paul Jacobs] #644047
03/25/10 12:43 PM
03/25/10 12:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Maybe I can add some answers to some questions. The Mopar Nationals OE program has been in constant evolvement since 1990. It has been updated and expanded every year as more things are learned and the restorations have become better. The judging guidelines and score sheets are protected to prevent copycat judging, and to preserve the integrity of the system. Think of it this way. You could spend years and years perfecting a painting like the Mona Lisa. Then, someone comes along, and sells a paint by numbers kit that ends up as good as your painting. What was all your efforts worth, to be diminished instantly?

As Dave has clearly pointed out, and I agree 100%, if someone wants to compete in the OE field then it is THEIR responsibility to research on their own! Why should someone get a manual to tell them how to do everything, when people like myself, have spent 20 years learning all the intricate details? I realize in todays society everyone wants an easy way out, but even if their was a manual on the correct way a car should look, you still have to figure out how to make the finishes look right. Making a driveshaft look right is not as simple as sanding it down smooth and puting in NOS U joints!
Honestly, if there were a book to completely detail how to perform an OE restoration, it would take 25 books! Don't beleive me? I have 6-4" three ring binders of JUST PHOTOS of our latest restoration. Now just think if I documented the restoration of every component on that car, and the over 1000 hours. Just look at all the hard work Dave Wise has done on the fastener manuals, and how big they are.

Now to address some question about the judging staff judging cars they restore-THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN-PERIOD. As I have stated before, I have competed and judged in the Mopar Nationals program over 10 years. If a judge enters a car for competition, he must judge a totally different class. For instance, the years I enetered cars in the stock "concourse" classes, I judged Pro Street. I now judge the Young Guns class as I like talking to the younger kids just getting into this hobby. I have cars judged in another class (OE mainly). There is no conflict of interest if the participants and judges have INTEGRITY-which Keith Rohm demands!

Hope this helps a little.

Paul,
That is a very narrow minded thought that it seems no other make seems concerned about and they encourage people to buy the judging manual BEFORE they being a restoration that they plan to have judged so people can score as high as possible.

It sounds to me like some of you guys are more concerned about who the number one car is each year rather than cars just scoring the highest number of points, in which case there can be one or any number of cars that can reach that level at the same time.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644048
03/25/10 12:49 PM
03/25/10 12:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Back in 2000 I bought a second owner 1968 Hemi Charger that was all numbers matching with history to the original owner that need restoration. I began looking around for a judging manual for OEM cars. I just wanted to have a guideline to make sure I didn't spend time and money doing something wrong during resto to this great car.

One final point Darryl, read your above quote a few more times! Your appeal falls on deaf ears. You've had these cars since 2000. I didn't get my first Chrysler until 2002 and didn't even know HOW to spell MOPAR! Since that time I am on my third OE restored vehicle. The first two both won Gold awards in the OE Judging. I didn't have an OE Manual!! So whats your excuse? You have sat around for 10 years griping and complaining about how inept the OE program is because it won't "give" you a Manual. It all goes back to what I said in an earlier post, " The bottom line is that guys like you are looking for the easy way out. You are either too lazy to do the work..."

Where was the "Manual" for Paul Jacobs? He has more GOLD awards that anyone I know in the OE venue. If you want an "OE Manual" get off your rump and go make one! There have been plenty of people who have been successful without a "Manual" to this point. You want to know why? Because they made the commitment to do whatever it takes to accomplish their goal. You don't care about OE procedures Darryl! If you did.....YOU would be forging ahead and no one could stop you.

From what you are saying here is that no one should be able to learn from others mistakes OR knowledge and that everyone should have to learn it the hard way. Don't we all try to insure that our children DON'T have to do it this way?

BTW, I didn't dwell on this when I found there was no manual available and forged ahead on my car and it was completed and sold several years ago. So it is not like I have been sitting around waiting for one. I just don't think others should have to.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: MMC Detroit] #644049
03/25/10 12:58 PM
03/25/10 12:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bill,

Quote:

I have enjoyed reading everyone's view points on vehicle judging. Thank you for you comments and feedback.

We are always looking for the best and the brightest to assist our program in the documentation of the variations that are found with vehicles and how to judge them properly. The ICCA has developed a program that is dynamic and we are always trying to improve in process and information. I personally spend at least 40 hours per doing research on vehicles and developing documentation of as much as possible in a clear and concise format to share with everyone.

I'm personally committed to develop an objective judging system for the Mopar hobby to use. It is true that I have 50% of the individuals involved with the ICCA that restore cars. However, I consider them the best at their craft with a great deal of experience and knowledge on how Chrysler Vehicle left the factory. I’m leading the ICCA effort and I DO NOT RESTORE CARS FOR A LIVING. I research them.

Over 10 years ago I started out with a vision to create a uniform judging manual because the hobby needed one. I have judged cars for over 20 years and at every event people would ask questions that most experienced people in the hobby know but there are many other that do not. I cannot tell you how many times that I have pointed out something that is incorrect and they stated “If I would have only known I would have done it properly”.

The first E body reference manual that we developed over 6 years ago was 200 pages today that same manual is 1000 pages. The first fastener reference manual that we came out with 7 years ago was 50 pages today that same manual is 250 pages.

There has been over 50 people from all over the world that have contributed information that has been inserted into the applicable manual. This information has helped me document specific details on cars that I have never known with their assistance. The most recent information has come from Roger Wilson. He has provided the ICCA, and ultimately the hobby with information on GTX’s that were few known. That knowledge is captured in a manual for all to use. One of the primary contributors and an ICCA team is Byron Fettig. Byron has taken apart more Chrysler cars then anyone in the world. Him and I compare information found almost daily. Needless to say his applicable discoveries go directly into the applicable ICCA manual.

Please keep the positive feedback coming and I will do my best moving forward to craft out the best material and develop the most objective judging program available.

Stop by and visit with us at the Mopar’s in the Park in June and we can show you where the program is heading. We have an exciting ICCA event planned for that show and an event in Sept on the east that you will see information shortly on a news stand near you. Please keep in mind that we have a number of judging options available from basic advice to true O.E. (with out the RED points) as discussed earlier in the thread.

Thanks for you time.

Dave Wise 248.393.3970

It is true that I have 50% of the individuals involved with the ICCA that restore cars.

Regarding the above bolded area of your post:

This is typical throughout all other makes OEM judging as well however they don't allow these judges to judge cars they have restored for themselves or ones they have restored for others. Hopefully your venue is the same?

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644050
03/25/10 01:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

It is true that I have 50% of the individuals involved with the ICCA that restore cars.

Regarding the above bolded area of your post:

This is typical throughout all other makes OEM judging as well ...

Not True! You stated that "it is typical" for "all other" judging venues to have Restoration guys as their judges. I spoke with Keith Rohm yesterday and not a single member of his OE Judging team is involved with restoring cars on a "professional" basis. I personally believe that it IS a conflict of interest to have Professional Restoration people as Judges because THEIR methods become THE standards by which they judge the cars. I actually witnessed this at a show where two "Restoration" Judges were arguing about whose rationale was more correct regarding radiator core support "over spray". NEITHER "JUDGE" WAS CONCERNED WITH THE FACTORY CORRECTNESS OF THE SUBJECT MATTER THEY WERE DEBATING!! The discussion became centered around THEIR view of how they thought it should be done. The funny thing about the argument was that BOTH methods could have been correct! Pitiful (for the guy who owned the car) to say the least!
Would you care to recant your incorrect comment about "all" OE judges being restoration guys or simply leave it where it falsely stands?

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644051
www.mmcdetroit.com
MMC Detroit Offline
super stock
MMC Detroit  Offline
super stock

www.mmcdetroit.com
The ICCA O.E., U.R.O.E. or basic judging process does not allow any restorer to judge any car that they have performed any service on and never will. Chuck Kuhn gave me this advice over 10 years ago when I consulted with him about the ICCA concept as it was being developed. The ICCA has specific protocol that must be followed throughout the entire process by everyone on the team. Any judge that does not follow the prescribed protocol, mission statement or subscribe to our quality policy, goals and objectives or conduct themselves in a professional manner will not be part of the program.

Mission Statement:
To continuously strive to enhance and advance the Mopar Automobile collector hobby.
Our Quality Policy:
To provide products and services that meets or exceed your expectations at a fair price.
Our Goal:
To be a trusted resource for reliable information, products, and services.
Our Objective:
To share the information and knowledge acquired over the past 50+ years with our customers.

Dave

MMC/ ICCA Detroit. The Motor City or where ever there is Mopars
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: MMC Detroit] #644052
03/25/10 02:29 PM
03/25/10 02:29 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
there should be a reference manual for this thread

OMG, this is some reading.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: joelson6] #644053
03/25/10 04:32 PM
03/25/10 04:32 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
Im done here-short of what colored ink the judges should use, it's been covered, as thouroughly as possible and some still don't get it....

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Paul Jacobs] #644054
03/25/10 09:17 PM
03/25/10 09:17 PM
M
moparr Offline
moparr  Offline
M

After reading this thread I have the need to respond to some of the things that have been brought up. These are in no order. If the car is being judged in showfield original class the judges do take into account original ,NOS and repo .THESE FACTORS ARE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT.At this level of judging a contestant is usually competing against others that are already use to taking the big trophy home in their area. So goes the name "the nationals". you are competing against the best from all over. At this level the cars are judged from what the judges can easily see from on ground level. Most people don't realize that if you win first in an original class the next year you must move up to senior division. You are then competing against other vehicles that won first in their original class . At this time you move into competing against a set of standards where much more attention is paid to original, NOS or repo. This is where things get really selective on your parts and the execution of your restoration. Most competitors liken it to OE judging but the car is not lifted up and a full undercarriage judging is not performed.This was designed on purpose so contestants can start out in the showfield, then move to senior and then if desired move into the OE arena. this was designed to spread out the cost of a restoration and the contestant can stop where he wishes or can continue on to compete at the higher level.As some have mentioned a manual set forth to restore your car by. A guide like this would be beneficial but Mopars as we all hopefully will agree are absolutely unique in many factors. They were built at multiple plants and were built on at least two or maybe three shifts. Each plant could have had numerous vendors supplying parts that definitely have minute differences . These examples also have to take into consideration A-bodies, B-bodies, C-bodies, E-bodies etc. Repeatedly over time people throw up the corvettes. They were built at one plant ,one shift and sometimes over time had a more selective smaller group of vendors and Mr. Jones put in all the dashes for 15 years. That is why the Mopars are so unique. A lot more people which in turn ran the chances of your Mopar being special compared to the other ones built the day before. for example, my new 69 Barracuda convertible had a loose dash assembly and a whole lot of the dashbulbs were never installed when brand new.Manuals are an assistance to restoring a car but then you have people who say it's in the manual that's how it has to be done even though your car has something off a little bit from what the manual says , people have a tendency to take the easy way and do it like the manual and then the cars become "cookie cutter clones" and their justification is it was in the manual.Examples like this could go on forever.A good friend of mine has a saying "the title is in my name and I will do the car to please me". So everybody do your car for you that's what makes the hobby go.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: moparr] #644055
03/28/10 11:50 PM
03/28/10 11:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OEM judging should be judge against a standard, NOT against another car\.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644056
03/29/10 01:27 AM
03/29/10 01:27 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

?? Nats OE Gold Certificate judging is done like that. So is the ICCA judging they have done so far. You surely already realize that?

So are you talking about some general show field of 200 cars all being judged against a standard?

Keith pointed out there were levels of judging they offer. As the levels go up, the number of cars judged goes down, and the time spent/allotted for a judge per car goes up. Pretty simple concept. And a pretty well thought out process.

If you want to judge 200 cars in a day to minute detail, spending 1 hour judging each car, rifling through some 50 page judging manual, with high level qualified volunteers... I just don't think that is practical and I don't think that is going to happen.

Putting manuals and judging bodies aside...

Do you have some idea of the level of attention, time, and detail that would satisfy you when your car is being judged?

Last edited by autoxcuda; 03/29/10 01:37 AM.
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: autoxcuda] #644057
03/29/10 12:39 PM
03/29/10 12:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

You surely already realize that?

Hi Steve,
It is quite obvious that this person has no clue concerning the OE judging process. There have only been about a half dozen people (who are deep in the program) that have tried to explain the intricacies of the program and why it is impossible to have a "one and only" manual for this particular venue. A few OE Judges have posted that manuals and printed data ARE readily available as it pertains to "protocol aspects" for these vehicles.

Dave Stuart, Steve Been and myself spent over 12 hours on Saturday trying to finish restoring the original Undercoating on the 1970 Valiant. The process and methods we were using were so unorthodox and unique that we were constantly joking about the "MANUAL" we would have needed for the process. It would have taken a large BOOK to explain what we were trying to accomplish for this ONE area and the next OE undercoat project may have required a completely DIFFERENT process depending on the starting point of THAT particular vehicle. Keep in mind that this guy ADMITTEDLY has NEVER been involved in an OE Restoration but continues to argue with those who have. I don't understand how a rocket-ship can make it to the Moon and back but I can assure you that I have better sense than to argue with a NASA engineer about specifics of how they should handle the Space Program or next mission! Like I said before, if this person ever takes the time to involve himself with an OE type restoration he will cringe with embarrassment from all the arguing and ridiculous comments he has made with regards to an OE "Manual". Until then it is like explaining trying to explain Calculus to a person with a level of first grade mathematics.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: autoxcuda] #644058
03/29/10 12:54 PM
03/29/10 12:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

?? Nats OE Gold Certificate judging is done like that. So is the ICCA judging they have done so far. You surely already realize that?

So are you talking about some general show field of 200 cars all being judged against a standard?

Keith pointed out there were levels of judging they offer. As the levels go up, the number of cars judged goes down, and the time spent/allotted for a judge per car goes up. Pretty simple concept. And a pretty well thought out process.

If you want to judge 200 cars in a day to minute detail, spending 1 hour judging each car, rifling through some 50 page judging manual, with high level qualified volunteers... I just don't think that is practical and I don't think that is going to happen.

Putting manuals and judging bodies aside...

Do you have some idea of the level of attention, time, and detail that would satisfy you when your car is being judged?

My comments and thoughts ablout this are what I have been speaking of all along in this thread. From what I understand of the Nationals judging is that there is too much laditude for judges to award points based on their thoughs of what is right rather than what a judging standard states.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644059
03/29/10 01:05 PM
03/29/10 01:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

My comments and thoughts ablout this are what I have been speaking of all along in this thread. From what I understand of the Nationals judging is that there is too much laditude for judges to award points based on their thoughs of what is right rather than what a judging standard states.

OE is about being able to follow details and a specific criteria as it relates to originality. Take your spelling for instance! It is a tell tale sign that you have no inkling of what it takes to be involved with an OE process.
You really should have stopped at the beginning your second sentence. You have no understanding of the OE program or it's Judging!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644060
03/29/10 01:21 PM
03/29/10 01:21 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
You guys make the modified classes look better and better!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644061
03/29/10 03:14 PM
03/29/10 03:14 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

At which level is there an issue?

As Keith stated there are three levels: judged, senior and OE level. Each is seperate and should be addressed specifically seperate.

Heres the 2009 Results list: http://www.moparnats.org/documents/09RESULTS2.pdf

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #644062
03/29/10 03:35 PM
03/29/10 03:35 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

You guys make the modified classes look better and better!

Honestly they are harder. They inherently have to leave it up to the "latitude for judges to award points based on their thoughts"

There are not written standards for a modified car. But yet modified awards like the Riddler are highly prestigious and highly regarded.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: autoxcuda] #644063
03/29/10 05:06 PM
03/29/10 05:06 PM
Canuckville
68Cbarge Offline
master
68Cbarge  Offline
master

Canuckville
I went to a few judged type show with my C.
I got beat at one show by a highly customized C.
Another show did not even have a C body class stating there were not enough pre-registered C's to warrant judging.(translation;nobody knew how to judge them.)
I enjoy looking at the high end judged cars and commend the people who spent their life savings and done the hard work to get there.
Setting the bar and creating a guideline where other can emulate them is flattering.
Given the results of mass production and inconsistencies there is no set "guideline".
In the world of Mopar never say never.

So,I am in it for fun.
I am a winner everytime I get the thumbs up,or nice car comment from kids and people of all ages.
That is gratitude at its highest that nobody can judge.

I am not worried about anchors on my bolts--I drive a boat..

'68 Newport Custom Barge on a Budget!! BOAB
1973 Satellite WAGON! 318- 3 on the tree!!
2008 Chrysler 300c HEMI!
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: autoxcuda] #644064
03/29/10 08:15 PM
03/29/10 08:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Honestly they are harder.

I don't think that is completely true. The judging may be more subjective but not the actual work on a vehicle. I have done 3 "modified" cars and 3 OE cars. The Modified vehicles were not as difficult because there were no "rights" or "wrongs" to comply with. The only concern was the "craftsmanship" of how things were done. The paint, assembly hardware, metal finishes, chrome, etc.... was completely determined by MY taste and desire. The OE cars offered ZERO latitude concerning the style or variation of how they were restored. The craftsmanship was STILL there but had to match an EXACT predetermined appearance of someone else's craftsman ship that was performed 40 years ago. I can't wait to start the 1969 T/A project because I can deviate from all the drips and runs and other "flaws" that were done at the factory. In some aspects it will feel like I am on vacation not having to stick with every little nuance that was performed by the assembly plant. The paint will be nice and slick! It will have beautiful triple plated chrome! Perfect fit and finish! Ah....just the thought of those tasteful "modifications" brings a sense of calm and serene joy to my soul!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644065
03/29/10 08:17 PM
03/29/10 08:17 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

I can't wait to start the 1969 T/A

Were they making them that early?

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #644066
03/29/10 08:20 PM
03/29/10 08:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

I can't wait to start the 1969 T/A

Were they making them that early?

Pontiac Firebird T/A for cry-many sakes....Pontiac T/A...

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644067
03/29/10 08:22 PM
03/29/10 08:22 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Speak ENGLISH! What does the code "Pontiac T/A" stand for? Were they building T/A Challengers in a secret plant in Pontiac Michigan or something?

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #644068
03/29/10 08:47 PM
03/29/10 08:47 PM
Green Lane, PA
sawdust Offline
super stock
sawdust  Offline
super stock

Green Lane, PA
Quote:

Speak ENGLISH! What does the code "Pontiac T/A" stand for? Were they building T/A Challengers in a secret plant in Pontiac Michigan or something?

Scott, thought you knew everything. Try the secret Chrysler plant in Pontiac Illinois, where all the prototypes were built a year ahead. If you want earlier, try Area 51.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #644069
03/29/10 10:09 PM
03/29/10 10:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

That would be the ORIGINAL holder for the name T/A brother Scott! It stood for "TRANS AM". Pontiac had to pay the SCCA $5 for every "Trans Am" that was was sold to the public for using that name. (At that time, "Trans Am" was owned/trademarked by the SCCA racing series organization.) Pontiac did not think that it would cost them all that much in the overall scheme of things. Heck....they only sold 689 Hardtops and 8 Convertibles the very first year! By 1979 the amount paid from Pontiac to the SCCA organization was quite LARGE and numerous to say the least!
I thought you might want to know that little snippet of information Sir Scott!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644070
03/29/10 10:10 PM
03/29/10 10:10 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Ohhhhhh! THOSE Pontiacs! Now I remember, I see those out on the Indian reservation all the time, most don't run

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #644071
03/29/10 10:15 PM
03/29/10 10:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Trust me Scott.....a Ram Air IV will run with anything of it's time. Guaranteed!!!!!!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644072
03/29/10 10:19 PM
03/29/10 10:19 PM
Candler,NC / Myrtle Beach, SC
J
JDMopar Offline
master
JDMopar  Offline
master
J

Quote:

Quote:

That would be the ORIGINAL holder for the name T/A brother Scott! It stood for "TRANS AM". Pontiac had to pay the SCCA $5 for every "Trans Am" that was was sold to the public for using that name. (At that time, "Trans Am" was owned/trademarked by the SCCA racing series organization.) Pontiac did not think that it would amount to being a very big deal. Heck....they only sold 689 Hardtops and 8 Convertibles the very first year! By 1979 the amount paid from Pontiac to the SCCA organization was quite LARGE and numerous to say the least!
I thought you might want to know that little snippet of information Sir Scott!

Great info That means that the 3 diamonds in the rough that I have are worth at least $15! Counting the 69 Trans Am I had as a kid....Pontiac spent $20 on me over the years. I traded my 69 away when I was 19 years old. That thing ran like a gut shot cat! I was dating a girl that had horses and did the barrel racing thing.....and I just HAD to have a pickup to pull a horse trailer Some things ya just gotta learn the hard way! Good luck and have fun with it.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: JDMopar] #644073
03/29/10 10:39 PM
03/29/10 10:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I traded my 69 away when I was 19 years old.

ARE YOU SERIOUS? Did you really have one of these when you were 19? You are the second person I have heard that owned one when they were a teen. That is just awesome! They are one of the most up and coming valuable collector cars on the market. While everything else has been declining, they have continued to rise in value. How did you like it? What power train set up did you have? Thanks for sharing that info.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644074
03/29/10 10:58 PM
03/29/10 10:58 PM
J
JDMopar Offline
master
JDMopar  Offline
master
J

The one I had was a 400 Ram Air III with a 4 spd. Sometime in 1976, I traded a 70 Duster 340 4 spd in on it. Traded dead even. At some point in time before I got it, it had been in a fender bender, or someone just swapped hoods. It had the spoiler,fender scoops and you could see the stripes on the top and decklid under the repaint. It was a nice car for a kid bagging groceries, and I didn't even know it was a T/A. I just thought it was a Firebird. After I traded it in on the truck, some dude called me to ask me about it because he was going to buy it off the car lot I traded it in to. He's the one that told me it was a T/A with the wrong hood on it. Of all the cars I've owned over the years, that one haunts me the most. The horse girl was some good stuff.....but I have better memories of the T/A that got away!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: JDMopar] #644075
03/29/10 11:25 PM
03/29/10 11:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WOW! Not to make the memory any worse, that car the way you described it would still bring between $50K to $60K in today's market. At least you owned one to tell about! Thank you very much for sharing the story.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644076
03/29/10 11:31 PM
03/29/10 11:31 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Buddy of mine owned one back in the late 80's, nice original paint RA-IV.. He stripped all the T/A parts off & bolted them to a 69 Firebird convertible.. I thought it was a shame but at the time figured as long as he hangs onto the real T/A whats it hurt... Then he scrapped the real T/A... Whatta Moron... Then again most Morons are smarter than that...

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644077
03/29/10 11:46 PM
03/29/10 11:46 PM
J
JDMopar Offline
master
JDMopar  Offline
master
J

You're welcome Dave. I just chalk that one up to a lesson learned the hard way. The aftermath of that deal was when I learned to think with the big brain rather than the little one! On another note....thanks for all your efforts to better our hobby. I'm more or less a lurker in these OE resto type of threads, and learn a lot by reading the thoughts and ideas of people like you,Paul Jacobs,and many others. I've done several cars over the years,and won a lot of trophies,but have never done the type of REAL restoration that I plan on doing to my 70 A66 Challenger. Things I have learned here from folks like yourself will aid me greatly.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #644078
03/29/10 11:58 PM
03/29/10 11:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Buddy of mine owned one back in the late 80's, nice original paint RA-IV.. He stripped all the T/A parts off & bolted them to a 69 Firebird convertible.. I thought it was a shame but at the time figured as long as he hangs onto the real T/A whats it hurt... Then he scrapped the real T/A... Whatta Moron... Then again most Morons are smarter than that...

You are killing me Randy! After reading your story all I can do is wonder why someone would do that to an original T/A!? Unreal!!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644079
03/30/10 12:08 AM
03/30/10 12:08 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

You are killing me Randy! After reading your story all I can do is wonder why someone would do that to an original T/A!? Unreal!!

I never said there was any reason you or I would understand.. He still owns the vert.. It now has a blown small block chevy in it..

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: JDMopar] #644080
03/30/10 12:11 AM
03/30/10 12:11 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

.....learn a lot by reading the thoughts and ideas of people like you,Paul Jacobs,and many others.

With honest and humble sincerity, if our efforts inspire or help ANYONE, then all of the work is certainly worth it. The good Lord put us here for a short time and what we contribute and give to others is what defines our character. I have fun ribbing and bickering back and forth here with a few who want to argue and but I would give the shirt off my back to help anyone that I could. Your kind sentiment has made my week! I cannot thank you enough for your post!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644081
06/11/12 01:13 PM
06/11/12 01:13 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Maybe it's just 'cause I'm a little slow on a Monday morning, but why is this dead thread coming up at the top...it's not stickied?

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6