03/18/10 11:03 PM
03/18/10 11:03 PM
Columbia, Maryland
G
GTSGTXCUDA2 Offline
GTSGTXCUDA2  Offline
G

Columbia, Maryland
I think the guy in Kentucky just enjoys trying to get a rise out of you Dave, and is really not talking about restoration. When I first saw your Challenger in a magazine article it looked great, but I really did not understand the depth of the restoration until I read the thread here on Moparts. Your effort on that car not only set a high bar, but gave others ideas for their own projects. Good luck on the Trans Am, I'm only hoping that I will find a interesting post on another forum describing your efforts.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: moparmojo] #639725
03/18/10 11:31 PM
03/18/10 11:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Jeff, you are right about everything! Sleep well tonight.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: GTSGTXCUDA2] #639726
03/18/10 11:32 PM
03/18/10 11:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Don! I have fun here. It gets silly sometimes but I don't let it get a "rise" out of me. I always thought that this part of the forum WAS actually related to Restoration and associated concepts/techniques?! Silly me...

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639727
03/19/10 04:46 AM
03/19/10 04:46 AM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Advice that someone gave me years ago was
Quote:

The best thing you can do is build the cars to a level that makes "You" happy.
If you build it as perfect and correct as you can, if you decide to sell it there will always be a buyer.

It still stands true today.

If you're a perfectionist (like Dave Walden ) that helps and is good thing.

Although I think Dave is going out of his way to keep raising the bar on what classifies as an O.E. restoration is to make it tougher on everyone else when your car is being judged.

If you build them right, there will always be a buyer, it's just a matter of getting the money you want out of it then.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639728
03/19/10 10:16 PM
03/19/10 10:16 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

Twisting? Dave, you always are changing the subject in order to get away from yourself being wrong.

You are absolutely right! That must be what I am doing to hide my obvious pitfalls as they relate to the World of Restorations. Rather than just keep going back and forth here SomecArGuy, why not share with us the vehicles that you have in your portfolio!?! This is a Mopar Automobile Restoration forum right? I for one choose to "see" a Sermon rather than "hear" one any day of the week. You DO have a car or something associated with these opinions that you constantly argue about....right? Why not compare and show the results that have factored into your "correct" efforts versus mine? You can display how it should be done and I can show myself being "wrong" as usual! Are you Game SomeCarGuy or will you spin the challenge and come back with your usual irresolute rhetoric? This is your chance to really put me in my place and expose my true ignorance! A simple YES or NO will suffice. I'm ready when you are. Lets Go Big shooter!

A simple yes or no? From Dave Walden this comes?

I drive my cars Dave, you can't compete with me. You are the guy that had to have little baggies on your cars tires so they wouldn't get dirty, right? White '70 Challenger that isn't driven correct?

I modify, restore, rebuild, use, abuse, and generally enjoy my cars. If you think that anything you have done or will do with a car even remotely matters to me, you would be sadly mistaken. You know, just like always.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639729
03/19/10 10:20 PM
03/19/10 10:20 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Thanks Don! I have fun here. It gets silly sometimes but I don't let it get a "rise" out of me. I always thought that this part of the forum WAS actually related to Restoration and associated concepts/techniques?! Silly me...

Says the guy that proceeded to chastise others over definitions and other pointless stuff.

Does that mean that you are fed up again and are going to start your own board...again?

Thanks for the free entertainment Dave. I'm glad you are back. Really I am.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: SomeCarGuy] #639730
03/19/10 10:41 PM
03/19/10 10:41 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Twisting? Dave, you always are changing the subject in order to get away from yourself being wrong.

You are absolutely right! That must be what I am doing to hide my obvious pitfalls as they relate to the World of Restorations. Rather than just keep going back and forth here SomecArGuy, why not share with us the vehicles that you have in your portfolio!?! This is a Mopar Automobile Restoration forum right? I for one choose to "see" a Sermon rather than "hear" one any day of the week. You DO have a car or something associated with these opinions that you constantly argue about....right? Why not compare and show the results that have factored into your "correct" efforts versus mine? You can display how it should be done and I can show myself being "wrong" as usual! Are you Game SomeCarGuy or will you spin the challenge and come back with your usual irresolute rhetoric? This is your chance to really put me in my place and expose my true ignorance! A simple YES or NO will suffice. I'm ready when you are. Lets Go Big shooter!

A simple yes or no? From Dave Walden this comes?

I drive my cars Dave, you can't compete with me. You are the guy that had to have little baggies on your cars tires so they wouldn't get dirty, right? White '70 Challenger that isn't driven correct?

I modify, restore, rebuild, use, abuse, and generally enjoy my cars. If you think that anything you have done or will do with a car even remotely matters to me, you would be sadly mistaken. You know, just like always.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: SomeCarGuy] #639731
03/19/10 11:44 PM
03/19/10 11:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Why not compare and show the results that have factored into your "correct" efforts versus mine?

I didn't think so little InsignificantCarGuy.....I didn't think so!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639732
03/19/10 11:55 PM
03/19/10 11:55 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Cool, I own Dave Walden.

He feels the need to compete with me.

I'm somebody.

Till next time Dave. Think of me next time you are worrying about a carpet or duplicating rust in a door.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: SomeCarGuy] #639733
03/20/10 12:25 AM
03/20/10 12:25 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Think of me next time......

You are absolutely the Best....my Hero! I only wish I was worthy to look upon the shadow that you cast as you drive your Ford Pinto down the street!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639734
03/23/10 05:47 PM
03/23/10 05:47 PM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
It had been a week or so since I last read this post. Goodness it did go downhill. It seems it has fallen far off the original question of the OP. Alot of interesting posts and points of view. I have done my share of OE restorations in the past. By and large I found out the money spent didnt value up to the money secured from the sale. In short "by and large" the OE restorations dont return the money on investment. I was in the world of Concours Corvette restorations, then Chevelle restorations, and now back home to my roots in Mopars. That crowd was much like this in the bickering about whats correct, which research is most accurate, which application is "currently" accepted as accurate and correct.

As to the point of the OP which is has higher resale value. Its some of both. The public will pay a premium for a car that is correct appearing in terms of originality, however in simple terms FIT and FINISH has always, still is, and will always be the final judgement of the buyer in terms of what he considers value. Its true whether your buying a muscle car, used car, new car or any car. I dont know anyone who has deducted dollar value for something that has been improved upon while keeping the car OE in terms of "general" yes I said general appearance. In the world of OE restorations correct finish and finsh is synonomous with the term over restoration.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6