Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

What were talking about again??

"OVER"
Restored! You see Paul when you place, hold or position the word "OVER" above something or "others", you can then consider it as being "OVER" Restored. When you move or store something from one location to another, that ALSO can be classified as being "Re-Stored"!
Brother Paul.....will you please be so kind as to lead us in a verse of Kumbayah?!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: M_code_Coop] #639705
03/17/10 10:32 PM
03/17/10 10:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Great thread with good insight from all sides.

I have the deepest respect for Dave Walden and others who go the extra several miles to bring a car to the closest version of perfection. Say what you want, their efforts help us all in more ways than one.

Along those lines I'd have to say what everyone already understands... serious multi car collectors, who make the 'high end' market, will almost always prefer OE standards. I'm guessing the occasional O.R. car that makes it into a collection is bought as a daily driver or some sort of sacrificial toy.

I'd add that below that upper end market 'factory appearing' 'FAST' cars have had an impact on the everyday enthusiast considering a resto. To ratchet on the initial question... what level of performance, if any, increases resale value? Do buyers prefer bone stock specs, high compression whiplash, or somewhere in the middle?

If you lean towards higher performance in your resto effort you're generally leaning away from OE.

I would think that any gearhead looking to buy a car that had a ride in 11-10 second F.A.S.T. car would be sold instantaniously. A show car that runs like a Super Stocker would be hard to turn down, at least for me.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639706
03/17/10 10:46 PM
03/17/10 10:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All silliness aside, the red car like Paul Jacobs posted are the finest engineering, works of art on wheels. You can always find a buyer for either side of the equation but the better value is probably with a vehicle that has been built to perfection. Nine out of 10 people probably look at the cars "my" group of guys work on and think we are crazy. They exhibit all the signs of shoddy work and most think it is ridiculous to put it back that way. I think it is MUCH more difficult to put it back with those horrific traits but CERTAINLY not as appealing to the eye.
I just started another vehicle (a 1969 Ram Air IV Pontiac Trans Am) and it will be restored to factory appearance and specs but will definitely be "Over-Restored" when completed.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: moparmojo] #639707
03/17/10 11:27 PM
03/17/10 11:27 PM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline
master
moparmojo  Offline
master

missouri, USA
First off let me start by saying, you single handedly brought us to this definition discussion. Secondly, I am well aware of what the definitions are but wanted to point out that their usage varies.

So using your definitions:

(Definition of Restore: return to its original or usable and functioning condition.)
So what did you restore. Restore the finish of the car, restore the shine to the paint, restore working power and function to non functioning parts, restore the appearance, etc etc.

(Definition of Modification: alteration - the act of making something different.)
So what does modified refer to? Modified using parts that did not come on the car?? For instance, in discussing the flat unfolded carpet you replied "They are accurate reproductions but we never say they are original. They are original IN APPEARANCE."- So technically since this was not an original part of the car you did not restor it, but rather replaced it. Is it now modified according to your very strict definition?
Or can we imply that the understanding of the words "to restore a car" is generally meant to bring back in appearance what was originally there. I think the honest intent is in general appearance. Otherwise buying a replacement carpet instead of restoring the original (to the car) carpet would be considered modified.

This was my point earily. The definitions are understood but how they are applied is still up to opinion. So when you blasted someone for saying something was "over-restored" and got on your soap box to educate us all you opened the conversation up for debate, thus taking all of us off course. And for the record I believe 99% of us here understand what someone means when they say over-restored. In most cases they are saying to bring back to an original look in appearance with some deviations for personal preference to improve the car. Maybe a better quality paint job, maybe a nicer carpet that doesnt fade with UV rays, or a dash pad that doesn't crack after a year in the sun. It is personal taste on what the perceived improvement is. However, the OP was not saying I want to over restore the car with glass packs, shag carpet, and fuzzy dice. Im sure that was not his intent. I think he just wanted to say, will I get the most resale by sticking 100% to what the factory did in appearance (paint dabs, decals, drips, overspray etc) or can I do things like spray color on the underside, use stainless steel brake lines and go base coat clear coat and what kind of money can I expect?

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: moparmojo] #639708
03/18/10 12:13 AM
03/18/10 12:13 AM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

First off let me start by saying, you single handedly brought us to this definition discussion. Secondly, I am well aware of what the definitions are but wanted to point out that their usage varies.

(Definition of Restore: return to its original or usable and functioning condition.)
So what did you restore. Restore the finish of the car, restore the shine to the paint, restore working power and function to non functioning parts, restore the appearance, etc etc.

(Definition of Modification: alteration - the act of making something different.)
So what does modified refer to? Modified using parts that did not come on the car?? For instance, in discussing the flat unfolded carpet you replied "They are accurate reproductions but we never say they are original. They are original IN APPEARANCE."- So technically since this was not an original part of the car you did not restor it, but rather replaced it. Is it now modified according to your very strict definition?
Or can we imply that the understanding of the words "to restore a car" is generally meant to bring back in appearance what was originally there. I think the honest intent is in general appearance. Otherwise buying a replacement carpet instead of restoring the original (to the car) carpet would be considered modified.

This was my point earily. The definitions are understood but how they are applied is still up to opinion. So when you blasted someone for saying something was "over-restored" and got on your soap box to educate us all you opened the conversation up for debate, thus taking all of us off course. And for the record I believe 99% of us here understand what someone means when they say over-restored. In most cases they are saying to bring back to an original look in appearance with some deviations for personal preference to improve the car. Maybe a better quality paint job, maybe a nicer carpet that doesnt fade with UV rays, or a dash pad that doesn't crack after a year in the sun. It is personal taste on what the perceived improvement is. However, the OP was not saying I want to over restore the car with glass packs, shag carpet, and fuzzy dice. Im sure that was not his intent. I think he just wanted to say, will I get the most resale by sticking 100% to what the factory did in appearance (paint dabs, decals, drips, overspray etc) or can I do things like spray color on the underside, use stainless steel brake lines and go base coat clear coat and what kind of money can I expect?

Thats the whole point of this post.

After reading all the responses, I suppose it doesnt matter much really.

I guess the potential market for an over restored car is bigger than for an OEM concourse resto.

However, when we are talking about RARE & EXPENSIVE cars...do the people that want those cars are always more inclined towards OEM correctness or not necessarily???

I know that for a clone car or a specially optrioned car but not necessarily mega rare or expensive over restoreing is the way to go.

But what about when you are talking about cars that surpass the 100k mark in value? Im taking about the 71 4406 shaker 4 speed bb go wing cuda, or the 69 HEMI charger, or lets say a cuda vert or something like a HEMI Daytona???? Should it be any different or not??? Will over restoring actually HURT cars like these???

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: moparmojo] #639709
03/18/10 02:01 AM
03/18/10 02:01 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

First of all, they were never "MY" definitions. They were taken straight from Websters Dictionary. Second, you have (once again) twisted the definition of "Restore" to accommodate YOUR particular agenda. Why did you decide to ONLY grasp the "original" part of the definition? Didn't you notice that it ALSO referenced "usable" and "functioning condition" in CONJUNCTION with with the word "original". If anyone used your twisted rationale, the word "Restore" contradicts it's own definition and meaning! Maybe the expanded definition will make it a little easier to understand.

Main Entry: re·store
Pronunciation: \ri-ˈstȯr\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): re·stored; re·stor·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French restorer, from Latin restaurare to renew, rebuild, alteration of instaurare to renew
Date: 14th century

1 : to return (something, esp a work of art or building) to an original or former condition.
2 : to bring back to or put back into a former or original state.
3 : return to its original or usable and functioning condition.
4 : to put someone or something back in a former position.

Now is that simple enough? Is a different color or slick paint job the "former condition/original state" of an OE car? Is painting or powder coating bare metal components considered the "former condition/original state" of an OE car? Is a different tire size than the factory size considered the "former condition/original state" for an OE car? Do you understand the concept of "former condition/original state" as it is used in the definition "Restore" or do you want to play semantics, parse and twist those particular meanings too? Like I stated earlier, under your logic the word "Restore" is an illogical moot point and should be completely removed from the English language. Your logic would make it impossible to "restore" anything! "Restore" has nothing to do with something maintaining or keeping it's "originality". You might want to consider going back in history to argue and change those definitions. I can assure you they were established in the English language LONG before I was born. I had absolutely nothing to do with their inception!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639710
03/18/10 02:30 AM
03/18/10 02:30 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I apologize if I sent your thread in a different direction Domingo. In some aspects it was only a matter of time before it splintered off into specifics that were related to your original inquiry. No "restored" car can ever be original again or even perfectly emulated to represent what it "originally" was. (I do like to try and get as close as humanly possible though!) You most likely know which direction you will proceed and hopefully it will offer you the best opportunities. Good Luck and take care!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639711
03/18/10 10:39 AM
03/18/10 10:39 AM
minnesota
Kirby Offline
pro stock
Kirby  Offline
pro stock

minnesota
Dom- your never gonna sell any of your cars anyhow- so? And we'd have to pay all the import costs too- to get them back in the states where they belong!

And to Dave- You have to be a little "special" to do what you do. I could never possess the amount of patience that you have to have to do what you have done-

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: Kirby] #639712
03/18/10 11:01 AM
03/18/10 11:01 AM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

Dom- your never gonna sell any of your cars anyhow- so? And we'd have to pay all the import costs too- to get them back in the states where they belong!

And to Dave- You have to be a little "special" to do what you do. I could never possess the amount of patience that you have to have to do what you have done-

Hi Kirby!

I cant really keep em all!!!

And going back to the states its not that hard...since they were US manufactured, there are no import fees to pay because they are going back to origin. Its just freight and related shipping costs.

Yes, OEM takes lots of time in execution (maybe the same as a totally custom off the wall show car), research, and $$$$ in getting the mega rare and expensive NOS & date coded muffler bearings.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639713
03/18/10 02:55 PM
03/18/10 02:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Thats the whole point of this post.

After reading all the responses, I suppose it doesnt matter much really.

I guess the potential market for an over restored car is bigger than for an OEM concourse resto.

However, when we are talking about RARE & EXPENSIVE cars...do the people that want those cars are always more inclined towards OEM correctness or not necessarily???

I know that for a clone car or a specially optrioned car but not necessarily mega rare or expensive over restoreing is the way to go.

But what about when you are talking about cars that surpass the 100k mark in value? Im taking about the 71 4406 shaker 4 speed bb go wing cuda, or the 69 HEMI charger, or lets say a cuda vert or something like a HEMI Daytona???? Should it be any different or not??? Will over restoring actually HURT cars like these???

Dom,
It will always be a personal choice as to what one guy will pay vs. another for the same car.

A few good examples are a couple of B-J cars that sold several years ago.

1. 1969 A12 SB that sold for $216K including the buyers fee that was a resurrected, totaled, burned car with NOM and disc brakes upgrade. It set a record for money paid for an A12 that still stands.

2. A Black 1970 Hemi Cuda that was disclosed on national TV as a rebody PRIOR to bidding that sold for $648K including buyers fee. It too had been a burned car.

So, as you can see at any given time when two buyers are on the same car they will pay for what they WANT regardless if it is "correct" or not. I think that more attention is paid to the quality of the restoration more so than if it is the original engine etc. The current trend of what resto mods are bring today bear this out. It may be a fad that will fade but I doubt it, as many want the convenience and saftey items that are being added to these old cars as long as they LOOK original driving down the street.

Regardless of what everyone else's OPINION is, these are hard sales facts that can't be argued with.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639714
03/18/10 04:09 PM
03/18/10 04:09 PM
Harleysville PA
M_code_Coop Offline
master
M_code_Coop  Offline
master

Harleysville PA
I'm curious to see if anyone has ever restored an OEM winner with a stealth 'over performance' drivetrain. I'm thinking no, but curious.

As I said, FAST has impacted restoration preferences. Yes PSMCR has been around longer but FAST, due to smart promotion, friendly media coverage, and incredible ETs, benefits considerably at internet car forums... where restoration plans are hatched.

FAST show cars have now branded the thought of 'over performance' on the mind. Those who plan on restoring beyond trailer ramp capabilities see 'over performance' as something to marry with 'over restored'.

It seems unless you're starting out definitively targeting high end collectors for unloading.... you'll likely end up over restoring.

Yes? No?

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: M_code_Coop] #639715
03/18/10 05:12 PM
03/18/10 05:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I'm curious to see if anyone has ever restored an OEM winner with a stealth 'over performance' drivetrain. I'm thinking no, but curious.

As I said, FAST has impacted restoration preferences. Yes PSMCR has been around longer but FAST, due to smart promotion, friendly media coverage, and incredible ETs, benefits considerably at internet car forums... where restoration plans are hatched.

FAST show cars have now branded the thought of 'over performance' on the mind. Those who plan on restoring beyond trailer ramp capabilities see 'over performance' as something to marry with 'over restored'.

It seems unless you're starting out definitively targeting high end collectors for unloading.... you'll likely end up over restoring.

Yes? No?

As I stated in my post above, it all depends on who is buying on any given day and if there is competition for the car for sale.

As far as over performance drivetrains, I think that for most people they love it as long as it has the factory "look." That is what has made the F.A.S.T. cars so popular. When you think about it, most of us buy these cars out of a love for nostalgia. When we knew of or owned them new we typically wanted them to perform at there modified best but still wanted them to look stock. That was the street racers thing, let everybody you were racing think they were out of the box stock until the competition got the surprise in the 1/4 mile. I don't think that has really changed for the collector/buyer today. This is also why day 2 wheels, tachs, and a few other items are perfectly acceptable to most buyers. After all, they just bolt on anyway.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639716
03/18/10 07:12 PM
03/18/10 07:12 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

quote]

You might want to consider going back in history to argue and change those definitions. I can assure you they were established in the English language LONG before I was born. I had absolutely nothing to do with their inception!

Actually Dave, there is no "governing body" for the English language. Language is what we as a society make it. That is why you see new words added to dictionaries. For instance, you can look at old laws and see that "idiots" was a term for the mentally challenged. Today we use the new terminology and idiots applies to who people feel the term fits. it is no longer the "legal" term.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: SomeCarGuy] #639717
03/18/10 07:24 PM
03/18/10 07:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

"idiots" was a term for the mentally challenged.

You certainly don't have a problem relating to or translating that particular definition do you? Keep on spinning and twisting!!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639718
03/18/10 08:18 PM
03/18/10 08:18 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

Quote:

Yes? No?

As I stated in my post above, it all depends on who is buying on any given day and if there is competition for the car for sale.

As far as over performance drivetrains, I think that for most people they love it as long as it has the factory "look." That is what has made the F.A.S.T. cars so popular. When you think about it, most of us buy these cars out of a love for nostalgia. When we knew of or owned them new we typically wanted them to perform at there modified best but still wanted them to look stock. That was the street racers thing, let everybody you were racing think they were out of the box stock until the competition got the surprise in the 1/4 mile. I don't think that has really changed for the collector/buyer today. This is also why day 2 wheels, tachs, and a few other items are perfectly acceptable to most buyers. After all, they just bolt on anyway.

I really like that approach. In fact, with the rare cars I plan on putting the original engine blocks aside for safekeeping, and I will build the engines using a brand new block with stroker cranks and some ooomph to them. Im also steering towards over restoring them a little. Thats my personal taste on these cars.

I like to drive them without regrets, show them, and keep them looking nice and FRESH for as long as possible. I also want em to be realiable.

I hope that people find that appealing if it ever comes a time to sell.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639719
03/18/10 08:53 PM
03/18/10 08:53 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

"idiots" was a term for the mentally challenged.

You certainly don't have a problem relating to or translating that particular definition do you? Keep on spinning and twisting!!

Twisting? Dave, you always are changing the subject in order to get away from yourself being wrong.

Are you really trying to say that definitions are static and that there is some sort of group that regulates them?

Let's see if you can stick with this or skirt the subject again.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: domingo] #639720
03/18/10 09:40 PM
03/18/10 09:40 PM
N.E.Ohio
P
pacifica Offline
mopar
pacifica  Offline
mopar
P

N.E.Ohio

I really like that approach. In fact, with the rare cars I plan on putting the original engine blocks aside for safekeeping, and I will build the engines using a brand new block with stroker cranks and some ooomph to them.

I don't get it You're gonna spend all this time and money on OEM/RESTORE/OVER RESTORE [whatever you do] and you're gonna give the numbers match block/engine to the buyer so they can pay some more to make it right? Why bother???? Don't tell me your afraid to blow up the original block!

Im also steering towards over restoring them a little. Thats my personal taste on these cars.

Sounds like your mind is made up

I like to drive them without regrets, show them, and keep them looking nice and FRESH for as long as possible. I also want em to be realiable.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: pacifica] #639721
03/18/10 10:22 PM
03/18/10 10:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I really like that approach. In fact, with the rare cars I plan on putting the original engine blocks aside for safekeeping, and I will build the engines using a brand new block with stroker cranks and some ooomph to them.

I don't get it You're gonna spend all this time and money on OEM/RESTORE/OVER RESTORE [whatever you do] and you're gonna give the numbers match block/engine to the buyer so they can pay some more to make it right? Why bother???? Don't tell me your afraid to blow up the original block!

Im also steering towards over restoring them a little. Thats my personal taste on these cars.

Sounds like your mind is made up

I would do the same thing with the original engine because I would drive the snot out of it. I think that most buyers that plan to drive the car would also appreciate that. With the value of an original engine it is taking a big change of throwing a rod through the side of the block and ruining it. I have found that a lot of people would like to have the original engine but a different ORIGINAL appearing engine in the car to drive with.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: SomeCarGuy] #639722
03/18/10 10:42 PM
03/18/10 10:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Twisting? Dave, you always are changing the subject in order to get away from yourself being wrong.

You are absolutely right! That must be what I am doing to hide my obvious pitfalls as they relate to the World of Restorations. Rather than just keep going back and forth here SomecArGuy, why not share with us the vehicles that you have in your portfolio!?! This is a Mopar Automobile Restoration forum right? I for one choose to "see" a Sermon rather than "hear" one any day of the week. You DO have a car or something associated with these opinions that you constantly argue about....right? Why not compare and show the results that have factored into your "correct" efforts versus mine? You can display how it should be done and I can show myself being "wrong" as usual! Are you Game SomeCarGuy or will you spin the challenge and come back with your usual irresolute rhetoric? This is your chance to really put me in my place and expose my true ignorance! A simple YES or NO will suffice. I'm ready when you are. Lets Go Big shooter!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639723
03/18/10 10:52 PM
03/18/10 10:52 PM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline
master
moparmojo  Offline
master

missouri, USA
Dave, what's funny is out of the blue you dug up these definitions to educate us all on the proper usage of the words. No one asked you to and to me is shows just a bit of arrogance on your part for you to sit and judge everyone for how they decide to apply terms as they find fit. Now Im certain this must be due to the circles you run in but we really dont need your smug soap boxing here. I think you wanted to make your point and blast the previous poster to get YOUR agenda out. As I said no one here turned this post south until you did. Take a little ownership and stop trying to pretend your any smarter than anyone else here.
I appreciate you again reaching into the dictionary and providing me the definition of those terms but I guess you just will not get it. (Notice I said will not instead of don't) This is where I reference the intellectually dishonest people out there that stick by their opinion even when proven wrong. You made a point to say how I misused or twisted the definition to fit my agenda, please do tell. Give me one example of how I miss used the word. Please do. The word can be used exactly how I descibed. You may not appreciate my usage but that does necessarily mean they are wrong. You can quote from the dictionary all day long and you wont sound any smarter. Matter of fact, I feel dumber for actually having read your reply. And then to top it off after trying to give everyone a verbal smackdown, you claimed to just be the common everyday guy...lol. You might need to hop off that horse a bit and stop looking down your nose at us. Now sure, you certainly arent going to like my response, and rightfully so, but in the spirit of Moparts instead of trading verbal jabs back and forth, I would rather drink beer and trade good car stories. You trade in your Zima and I'll trade in my Stag and we will meet in the middle aroud some Bud Light.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6