H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Absolutely Beautiful work Mike. It looks Fantastic!

Thanks Dave

When considering value, all I can add is that I did another R4 red A12 car that was a 4 speed some time back for the same guy. This car was modified and had headers and frame connectors, among other things but was a very nicely done car that also ran pretty hard, but not quite as hard as the black car runs. Like the black car, it had some very nice paint and body work.

That car wound up in the hands of Colin Comer, who sold it a few years back for 150K at the BJ circus. The motor and trans were not #'s matching. And he didn't do anything to it from when I had it in my shop. i thought that was pretty steep for a non #'s car that was modified, but it looked, ran, and sounded good.

Who knows what the future holds, but perhaps the correctly restored OEM cars will be the heavies, now that the uneducated buyers with the loose wallets have faded into the background.

MB

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: MOPARMIKE69] #639665
03/15/10 05:20 PM
03/15/10 05:20 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

"I dont think yu will be able to find the correct laquer paint anywhere nowadays."
None of the car you listed came from the factory with laquer painted exteriors. Specific parts maybe but not the exterior paint.

OK whatever the original paint was called, you cant get it nowadays. Thats what I was trying to convey.

Paul Jacobs, since you are reading this.... Wasn't it single stage enamel?
Can't you still get it from PPG?
What do you use on your OE restorations?

Yes it was single stage enamel, and yes, that is what we use in our OE restorations.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: Paul Jacobs] #639666
03/15/10 06:33 PM
03/15/10 06:33 PM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
All these posts defining, refining, and offering underlying definitions of over restored vs. OE concours hasnt answered the mans initial OPs requestion on resale. The man asked about resale.

Paul Jacobs reply on pg 1 noted that "the prettier would appeal to more people." I agree with this. Todays Concours restored car isnt driven, albeit a few will chime in and say "Mine is, mine is." Believe me, few are ever driven more than on and off their enclosed trailers.

I have restored Chevelles and Corvettes and too many times I avoided driving my car 50 to 100 miles to a car show we wanted to go to but feared rain, or the potential for rain so we didnt go. Alot here can relate to this. We have missed out on alot of fun with the line of thinking. Plus todays OE restoration is year of nexts tired looking restoration. Despite being garage kept, nuts, bolts, and any bare metal starts rusting, it mushrooms even more, and then still more, then 3 years from now your OE looked very very tired.

In restoring my Mopar, Im going to paint my entire undercarriage, my paint isnt going to have drips or runs, my fenders and door are going to have nice body lines, not sag or be poorly aligned then tell everyone "hey thats the way the factory did it." Only 1 in 200 people will know and/or appreciate your poor body alignment, your unpainted parts, your poor paint techniques, whereas the majority of people will ask, why did you go so far and do it so poorly. Even today, I had to answer the question a 1000 times "why did you have overspray on your exhaust manifolds?" on my Chevelle, geez man that looks tacky....duh well "they came that way from the factory" was my standard lame reply.

Resale: The primary buyer who will pay $30,000 or more for a car wants a done car with fine lines, nice paint, fully detailed, clean looking car. He wants a nicely done car with FIT AND FINISH! Some call it the "over restored" car. There is a cottage industry for the OE restoration cars, and the expensive parts that are hoarded up by cottage vendors who sell parts that were originally $200 now for $2000. Because a small amount of people will spend far more money on a car than its worth for that coveted recognition and $9.00plastic crystal looking trophy or cheap ppewter pie plate. Finally I have an issue with the description of modified. I have participate in the judging and being judged end of car shows. Many shows allow up to 3 modifications before you were put into the modified class. For example headers, mag wheels etc.

In the end, I prefer an over restored car because its indeed more appealing to more people including myself. Its more durable, easier on the eyes, and much less maintenance.......much less. In the end "Fit and Finish" sells cars, always has always will.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: gomangoRTSE] #639667
03/15/10 06:46 PM
03/15/10 06:46 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
You guys are funny. You might be surprised to see what I prefer. This is my build-for me. I would never actually OWN an OE car. Let the games begin...

Last edited by Paul Jacobs; 03/15/10 06:47 PM.
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: gomangoRTSE] #639668
03/15/10 06:50 PM
03/15/10 06:50 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
An 'over restored' car will have a larger target audience and chances are will sell faster and maybe even for similar amounts. Thus creating a better chance to recoupe the investement verses and OE level done car

case in point - my former car. It is not, was not, nor was it ever intended to be an OE level car in any way shape or form from the very beginning.
This has to be a record for a single 4 barrel 340 challenger hardtop
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicati...;pop=0&it=1

to the OP, do what makes you and/or your intended client market happy and run with it

ps
PJ, I call shotgun

Last edited by gtx6970; 03/15/10 06:52 PM.
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: gomangoRTSE] #639669
03/15/10 07:04 PM
03/15/10 07:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

All these posts defining, refining, and offering underlying definitions of over restored vs. OE concours hasnt answered the mans initial OPs requestion on resale. The man asked about resale.....
In the end, I prefer an over restored car because.....

His question WAS answered quite a few times within this thread! Ignoring the responses because they do not correlate with your particular view does not qualify the oversight. There is no defining line within this subject matter. I commented in an earlier post: "Do what you want and hopefully it will appeal to a buyer that has similar taste. As soon as you make a move either way, someone will always take the other side and come back with the typical, "Yeah but what about..... ".

There are pros and cons for each side. The subject matter is completely pursuant to a person's likes or dislikes. I doubt anyone will find a book or manual that provides that proverbial "line in the sand" as to what is better or which style brings more $$$.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: Paul Jacobs] #639670
03/15/10 07:34 PM
03/15/10 07:34 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

I would never actually OWN an OE car. Let the games begin...

Me neither.

MB

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: gomangoRTSE] #639671
03/15/10 07:35 PM
03/15/10 07:35 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

The man asked about resale.

I gave my opinion at least twice in this thread

I know, I am irrelevant

MB

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: gtx6970] #639672
03/15/10 07:38 PM
03/15/10 07:38 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

An 'over restored' car will have a larger target audience and chances are will sell faster and maybe even for similar amounts. Thus creating a better chance to recoupe the investement verses and OE level done car

case in point - my former car. It is not, was not, nor was it ever intended to be an OE level car in any way shape or form from the very beginning.
This has to be a record for a single 4 barrel 340 challenger hardtop
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicati...;pop=0&it=1

to the OP, do what makes you and/or your intended client market happy and run with it

ps
PJ, I call shotgun

Bill

That car looks awesome! I would have passed on it because of the master cylinder. J/K, of course.

MB

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: HPMike] #639673
03/15/10 08:01 PM
03/15/10 08:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I know, I am irrelevant MB

You are being much to modest Mike! I know that some consider these posts to be but the concepts and opinions are what provides substance to the original question. There will always be small subdivides that constitute a general theme. I find it comical that some STILL continue to ignore reality and fight the obvious truth. For instance consider the comment, " I have an issue with the description of modified...... Many shows allow up to 3 modifications before you were put into the modified class."

If you repeat that over and over, it's contradictory content becomes clearer and clearer. For the purpose of illustration lets rephrase that concept in a different manner. Suppose a teacher tells her students that they can miss up to 3 days of school and STILL be awarded a "Perfect" attendance award! Or can you imagine asking an old girlfriend/boyfriend if they are still a Virgin and they reply, "Why of course!!! I have only had Sex three times in my life!"
It is a riot the acceptable contradictions that have made their way into this Hobby. We continue to lower the bar to make others feel comfortable or justified for their incorrect deviations. Does anyone else ever wonder why so many areas of our Hobby seem to digress?!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: HPMike] #639674
03/15/10 10:04 PM
03/15/10 10:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here is something else for the original poster to consider. This is a condition guideline for a collector car value guide note what they have to say about originality and modified cars. The tide is changing. Often times resto mods are selling for more money than original example cars

Last edited by 696pack; 03/15/10 10:05 PM.
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: Paul Jacobs] #639675
03/15/10 10:23 PM
03/15/10 10:23 PM
Tenn.
jrwoodjoe Offline
master
jrwoodjoe  Offline
master

Tenn.
Quote:

You guys are funny. You might be surprised to see what I prefer. This is my build-for me. I would never actually OWN an OE car. Let the games begin...

Bill, you can have shotgun if I can ride in the back. Heck, I'll take the trunk. Very cool.

Joe

65 Barracuda
70 Challenger
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: jrwoodjoe] #639676
03/16/10 01:50 AM
03/16/10 01:50 AM
San Antonio, TX
CurYellowBird Offline
mopar
CurYellowBird  Offline
mopar

San Antonio, TX
I'm am in the same boat with my 71' Roadrunner. Problem is NO TWO cars were ever alike out of the factory. You have to think in the mind of a factory worker of that era. They did not give a sh** and wanted to just get the job done with a minimal amount of effort.

Therefore, there is no specific undercoating or spray pattern to follow, nor chalk lines. I've looked over my car that is a survivor and it has no chalk marks at all. The whole underbody is undercoated, not bare metal.

With that being said, make it to what you want it to be. Our cars are NOT OE anymore, that time has past. Sure I've spent plenty of time going over part numbers on my car to verify what it is, but I am not going to stress my life away over a part number or a chalk mark. Sorry but these cars are a waste of money if you go for that gold OE resto crap instead of driving like it was built for.

Project War Bird: 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4 speed with air conditioning GY3 Curious yellow All original
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: CurYellowBird] #639677
03/16/10 02:29 AM
03/16/10 02:29 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

You have to think in the mind of a factory worker of that era. They did not give a sh** and wanted to just get the job done with a minimal amount of effort......Our cars are NOT OE anymore, that time has past. ....Sorry but these cars are a waste of money if you go for that gold OE resto crap instead of driving like it was built for.

Hi Pat,
It is really neat that you have an older car for being a relatively young man. I am sure that you are just as sincere as the next guy but where did you come up with your information? Do you really think that NONE of the employees had a positive work ethic or that EVERY person working for Chrysler was determined to do the worst job they possibly could? You obviously have your opinion regarding these cars being "driven" but what about the guy who isn't worried about the monetary aspect? What about those who document and research them so the history and heritage of these cars are not forgotten? We don't live in the 1700's but I would guarantee that those who attended school HAD to take History courses which referenced that particular century. For what purpose? We no longer live in the 1700's! Why does it have to be one way or the highway in this Hobby?

Isn't the diversity the primary aspect that makes this Hobby interesting? I would think that this World would be a horribly boring place if everyone thought and acted exactly like I did. Going on Vacation (to a new Country for instance) is exciting because it gives one the opportunity to experience things beyond our normal everyday lives. You might believe that driving these old dinosaurs is the next best thing since sliced bread! I would MUCH rather climb behind the wheel of a new Viper, Z06 Corvette, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.... but would never tell you that you are wrong for the way you feel! I appreciate the old cars because they WERE the preclude to the Super-cars that we drive today. Differing views should not make us enemies within the same automotive fraternity. While I don't necessarily like every vehicle on an equal basis, I have a respect and admiration for the entire automotive industry. Some people "hate" certain makes and models of cars. The fact is, that without the introduction of some of those "hated" cars, YOUR favorite model might never have come to fruition! Don't be too dismissive of the views and opinions of others. You will become a grouchy old man way before your time!

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639678
03/16/10 03:00 AM
03/16/10 03:00 AM
San Antonio, TX
CurYellowBird Offline
mopar
CurYellowBird  Offline
mopar

San Antonio, TX
My thoughts on the factory line worker is that of any person who is earning a basic minimum wage working in an industrial type environment. That being said, it was very hard to find people that were positive about their work.

If they were so positive about their work, then why would their be dripping spots of primer underneath the body of our cars, build sheets put wherever they wanted, or paint jobs that fall short of current standards of today? My point being is that they did not care. Just wanted to get the job done and earn their wage to support their families just like any person today wants to do.

My issue with the hobby are the types where they have a heart attack over a starter relay not having the right part number on it. Or I'll drive my 80' malibu and older guys are like " Why did you stick with iron heads, for an extra 200$ you could have had aluminums". The problem that makes me stay away from car shows so much is that the "older crowd" critiques and bashes on the younger guys so much that the hobby no longer becomes fun. It makes us think that no matter what we do, we will never gain respect from the past generation. Can't blame some of the other kids my age for driving ricers, cause all it does is piss the last generation off.

Project War Bird: 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4 speed with air conditioning GY3 Curious yellow All original
Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: CurYellowBird] #639679
03/16/10 03:25 AM
03/16/10 03:25 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

If they were so positive about their work, then why would their be dripping spots of primer underneath the body of our cars, build sheets put wherever they wanted, or paint jobs that fall short of current standards of today? My point being is that they did not care. Just wanted to get the job done and earn their wage to support their families just like any person today wants to do.....Can't blame some of the other kids my age for driving ricers, cause all it does is piss the last generation off.

Hold your horses there Pat! No one has blamed you or anyone else posting here. First of all the underside primer drips were due to the vehicles coming out of a Dip Tank, not sloppy employees. This process is STILL being done the exact same way today! Many of the broadcast sheets were left in an inconspicuous, out of the way place....not out in the open! You have to disassemble certain parts of a car just to find them. As far as the paint jobs "that fall short of current standards of today" you have to remember that they are no longer painted by factory employees. They are painted by computerized robotics that are consistent to the exact millimeter. Technology and time has allowed for the improvements. Would you criticize the advancement of modern day surgeries because 30 years ago they were archaic in comparison with today's technology? Gall bladder surgery used to lay you up for DAYS now it can be performed as an out patient procedure. The "old" procedures were NECESSARY for these advancements to take place.
Don't listen to anyone who gives you grief about your opinions as they relate to your era or interests. If you look at my original post, I commended you on your interest regarding these old cars! Enjoy this Hobby for what it means to you and have fun.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639680
03/16/10 04:01 AM
03/16/10 04:01 AM
San Antonio, TX
CurYellowBird Offline
mopar
CurYellowBird  Offline
mopar

San Antonio, TX
Let me retract my previous statement. I had totally forgotten that they dipped our cars in primer. Doesn't make sense to me but its what they did. I just got caught in a rant.

There is a show down here next sunday and they had over 20 classes. Well guess what wasn't there...mopar. Their excuse was that the camaro, corvette, and mustang guys wanted all there genI, genII, and whatever gen classes for their cars. Then they proceeded to make the comment that I was just some kid who knew nothing about organizing a car show or cars. So I got the mopar club that I'm affiliated with down here involved and turns out they "somehow" have extra trophies and are going to have a mopar class.

BTW I thank you for your compliment. I was just off the deep end and thought you were being sarcastic. Kind of hard to tell now a days when a guy gives a compliment and is being sarcastic.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: CurYellowBird] #639681
03/16/10 03:24 PM
03/16/10 03:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Doing an OEM restoration can be far more discouraging than rewarding. First of all unless you win 1st place in your class and sell it before the next years winner there is no chance that you will ever get your investment back if that is important to you. It is a labor of love for most people.

The problem is that if you follow and reproduce all the things that are original to your car, such as the undercoating mentioned above, the judge may not think it is right based on others he has seen, even though it is right for your car.

Many don't know that there was a hugh migration of iliterate people from the south back in the 60s seeking the better paying union jobs in the auto plants. This along with people that just didn't care and the lack of factory QC, there are a lot of differences in these old cars when they were new. Sure, there were exceptions with people that did care but all of them had time limitations on an assembly line that did not stop.

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. #639682
03/16/10 04:37 PM
03/16/10 04:37 PM
KY USA
mopargem Offline
master
mopargem  Offline
master

KY USA
Quote:

Many don't know that there was a hugh migration of iliterate people from the south back in the 60s seeking the better paying union jobs in the auto plants. This along with people that just didn't care and the lack of factory QC, there are a lot of differences in these old cars when they were new. Sure, there were exceptions with people that did care but all of them had time limitations on an assembly line that did not stop.

Hmmm

68 Polara 500...LL1 Y7 M6X
69 Hemi road runner...X9 X9 M6X
69 A12 road runner....R4 R4 M6X
69 ModTop FLORAL Super Bee...F6 M6W
70 AAR 'cuda...EW1 EW1 H4X9
71 Duster 340...FJ6 V24 L6X9
71 road runner FC7 V1X M6X9

72 Rallye Charger B5 V1W

74 'cuda 360...KB5 V1X A6X9
08 SRT Challenger #234

Re: Over restoring vs.OEM restoration. Resale value. [Re: mopargem] #639683
03/16/10 04:43 PM
03/16/10 04:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm

Sorry if I offended you but it is a fact.

No slight on those people just a fact that the uneducated were looking to better themselves. Many of those assembly line jobs did not require the ability to read or write and were very repetitive simple jobs. Unfortunately, sometimes a supervisor would switch them to a job that did require it without knowing they couldn't and it caused problems until straighted out.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6