Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Starting to second guess my future..................... [Re: Quicktree] #630064
03/04/10 06:34 PM
03/04/10 06:34 PM
USA
S
SSAAHemiFan Offline
top fuel
SSAAHemiFan  Offline
top fuel
S

USA
Man good luck to you.... Played music virtually everyday until 2 years ago. Conviced since grade school that I was going to make it.

2 years ago I was 37 and totally burned out on the music business entirely. I just walked away and haven't played a single note since!

I'm a drummer also and the big hangup is you have to find other bandmates that are as serious as you. I've never been able to do that.

I have had many professionals hear me play and most have said I definately have what it takes to play pro..

My epiphany ..I had a old boss who was played in all the local bands in the 70's and was well known, his wife was a bigshot at a local radio station so I have been able to meet and talk to alot of act's and most admit there is a good deal of LUCK involved.!!

I have given up on the big dream... In my "time off" I have been able to enjoy the local scene and constantly run into some amazing people who are still looking for a break themselves.

Pretty Humbling.. And a tough way to make a living!

I wish all the time and money I spent playing music I would have taken school and education a little more seriously.

See the movie Anvil if you can...

Re: Starting to second guess my future..................... [Re: Thumperdart] #630065
03/04/10 06:45 PM
03/04/10 06:45 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

WOW, I really appreciate your responses. I am very serious about my drumming but sometimes I think at 48 years old that it`s a pipe dream even though I`ve had songs on the radio and filled rooms all over the place. I`m really interested in joining a TEAM and doing the car thing and making drumming second for now as much as I hate to. I hear ya blue stocker and beleive me it`s tough to think that the reality is that music may be more of a hobby than a career but I`m at a crossroads and the time has come to make a serious decision about my future. Time will tell..........thankxx again......Da thump...

Your frustration spurs from trying to make it a career when it's something you just love to do.
Dont confuse the two. When it becomes work, it adds all kinds of unnecessary pressures on top of it that make it hell, and in the end unenjoyable.

I went through it all. Went to music school, spent tens of thousands on equipment etc...and then realized there was nothing wrong with continuing to do it myself, but to instead not try making it a career. Besides, I hate people, so I cannot work with a band. I did a few things in restaurants and clubs solo and liked that, but it wasnt for the money. It was for me.

I now come home from work, and I play guitar by myself and enjoy it. Then I go back to work the next day, at a day job.

I've been enjoying guitar like this now for 25 years and with no pressures, not having to work with other people, and not having to get payed doing it, I find I like it a lot better.

I think your idea of just getting another job is a good one. being good, great, or even a master doesnt guarantee and income from it. Some of the best musicians merely post their music on youtube and that's the full extent of it. I like that much better!

Re: Starting to second guess my future..................... [Re: SSAAHemiFan] #630066
03/04/10 06:54 PM
03/04/10 06:54 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Dom,maybe you can relocate to Fl and go to work for Elvis(Eddie).You can start the day with a drumroll when Elvis wakes up and be his body guard and track down "Keyboard Commandos" on YB that go after him.Maybe even hire yourself out as a hired gun even on Moparts. Just kidding But seriously,do what you love to do.My mom told me,"find a job you love and you will never work a day in your life"She was absolutely right,for over 45 years in racing and the heavy construction industry I have been having a great time.

Re: Starting to second guess my future..................... [Re: B G Racing] #630067
03/04/10 07:19 PM
03/04/10 07:19 PM
Ohio
Chad Bittle Offline
mopar
Chad Bittle  Offline
mopar

Ohio
first thing I was gonna recommend is relocating. Cali is way way way too overpriced.

And like everyone else said, life is too short to not do what you want. The only thing your promised is to die, so enjoy the ride.

Re: Starting to second guess my future..................... [Re: Chad Bittle] #630068
03/04/10 07:43 PM
03/04/10 07:43 PM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
I believe in the "do what you love" philosophy,(but) it works for some and others it does'nt. Music is different from other professions in that it is also a show business. Musicians tend to be introverted(even some drummers..lol)so performing on a regular basis can be really stressful. That said, there are some that thrive on it! But even those guys dont always "make it." As mentioned, being in the right place/right time can be equally important. Luck. I've been playing many years but could never convince myself i was good enuff to go professional..maybe i'm just lazy..lol..but it is alotta work. I've had several bands and have done the occasional gig..and some even paid..haha guess i dont have any advice that you have'nt already been given. Just know that you are not alone and keep jammin when you can.

Re: Starting to second guess my future..................... [Re: B1Fish540] #630069
03/04/10 09:19 PM
03/04/10 09:19 PM
Cambridge Vt.
mark_gates Offline
master
mark_gates  Offline
master

Cambridge Vt.
Dominic! I never would have guessed you for a musician! I've filled quite a few clubs back in the day myself, and since I've been laid up, have dabbled in it some more. I say go for it! Yer never too old!

5845802-MVC-491F.JPG (25 downloads)
Last edited by mark_gates; 03/04/10 09:21 PM.
Re: Starting to second guess my future..................... [Re: mark_gates] #630070
03/04/10 09:40 PM
03/04/10 09:40 PM
Central Valley, CA.
Quicksilver440 Offline
I Live Here
Quicksilver440  Offline
I Live Here

Central Valley, CA.
Quote:

Dominic! I never would have guessed you for a musician! I've filled quite a few clubs back in the day myself, and since I've been laid up, have dabbled in it some more. I say go for it! Yer never too old!

Mark....your back!

Re: Starting to second guess my future..................... [Re: Chad Bittle] #630071
03/04/10 09:59 PM
03/04/10 09:59 PM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Quote:

first thing I was gonna recommend is relocating. Cali is way way way too overpriced.

I have visited many parts of CA, including Victorville. It isn't the highest $$$ part of CA, but I would move out of the state... now (for many reasons).

My real job pays too well for me to "do what I want for a living". But it pays the bills to allow me to "do what I want". Some weeks I put more time into my hobby (no pay, actually cost money) than I put in my job (40 hours).

I believe in finances. If you like what you do and can live on $25000/yr, go for it. If you want to live a different (more expensive) standard of living... well... that is why work is a four letter word.

I hope that didn't come out all wrong. I do all sorts of things I don't like, and just do it. I spent lots of money on education and low paying jobs to learn things. I worked my way up to better paying jobs. Paid the price of years and years of work to finally get to a comfortable position. I hope after 30 years of work it starts to pay off in my old age.

Re: Starting to second guess my future..................... [Re: maximum entropy] #630072
03/05/10 12:08 AM
03/05/10 12:08 AM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline OP
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Wow, thankxx guys...lots of inspiration goin on here! A local machine shop is going to give me a shot here soon on a part time basis so I can still play at night and keep the dream alive. I`m a fighter and never say die so I`m not giving up I just need something to do in the mean time and will give Vegas another shot next month after I take care of some legal bs. BG, I actually talked to Eddie a couple years ago about working for him but I think we may of ended up boxing and that would not be good for eighter of us. It`s crazy to think how time flys as fast as it does and how stupid some of the decisions I made were. The age thing only applies in that phony Vegas town.....no one around here cares especially when they hear me play. I`ve turned down some serious opportunities music wise that I regret but I can`t go back so foreward it is and something good will come from it I`m sure. Thankxx again guy`s, you really made my day!

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Starting to second guess my future..................... [Re: Thumperdart] #630073
03/05/10 12:43 AM
03/05/10 12:43 AM
LOWELL IN
Q
QWK_ENUF Offline
top fuel
QWK_ENUF  Offline
top fuel
Q

LOWELL IN
hey dom , i've been in the auto industry for 34 years and it has taken care of me but i'll never be rich but at least i'm happy but man i wish i had some of your talent

good luck in what ever you decide

WAXER
Re: Starting to second guess my future..................... [Re: Kindafast] #630074
03/05/10 12:56 AM
03/05/10 12:56 AM
Arizona
Chucklehead Offline
super stock
Chucklehead  Offline
super stock

Arizona
Quote:

Quote:

i wanna get a fake ID that says i'm 27

Not me I want one that says I am 70 that way everyone would say you look pretty good for your age. I am 53

That made me laugh.

That is a great Idea. Plus you can save a some $$ using the senior discount.

Still Broke
Re: Starting to second guess my future..................... [Re: QWK_ENUF] #630075
03/05/10 12:59 AM
03/05/10 12:59 AM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline OP
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Thankxxx..........I`m not that great BUT, I`m definately entertaining.

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Page 2 of 2 1 2