North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Wheel speed is what gets a car down the track quick, not rpm. Now I am generally talking about cars with pretty big power. Properly geared and with the right converter, most cars I have ever switched from 3 speed to powerglide, just became animals on the starting line, because of the wheel speed and it takes serious work to get it under control, but when you do, it will work. Everyone pays way too much attention to 60 foot times anyway. 330 times are what is important and a quick 60, does not always equate to quick 330. Got to have wheel speed to be fast. A ton of gear in the rear, low trans ratio and super loose converter, may scream the engine and sound tough, but most are not going anywhere, just making noise...
Ask Andy Mayes about his car becoming an instant tire smoker with the glide and see if he thinks it calmed his down.. This is not the case for every car, but I can't stand to see those vague generalities about different things just thrown out here, every time a discussion comes up. Every time this comes up, we hear "calms the car, slows it down, kills 60ft, etc, etc" and I know for a fact, that is not always the case, or even the majority of the cases.

Monte

Re: Why not use 727 like a glide [Re: Monte_Smith] #624138
03/02/10 12:22 PM
03/02/10 12:22 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
Isn't the MAIN benefit of the PG the fact that with only a LOW and HIGH there is much less rotating mass (and frictional losses) within the tranny so that even though you have a higher (lower numerical) first gear you have proportionally MORE available engine power getting to the tires all the way down the track, this offsets the lack of the deeper first gear in a light high powered car.

By using only 2 gears of a 3 speed trans you are still carrying all the drag of the heavier 3 speed internals....so even if you mathematically work the gearing out the same, it won't perform the same.

I would imagine these 2 speed 727's will incorporate the (similar) mechanics of a glide or else.

I agree that there are way too many generalizations tossed around, but if this discussion is about simply using the 1-2 (or 2-3 for that matter) of a 727, it's not an accurate comparison to a glide in my opinion.

Last edited by Streetwize; 03/02/10 12:26 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: Why not use 727 like a glide [Re: Monte_Smith] #624139
03/02/10 02:24 PM
03/02/10 02:24 PM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
Quote:

Wheel speed is what gets a car down the track quick, not rpm. Now I am generally talking about cars with pretty big power.

Monte

Thats what I'm talking about too. i dont see how a moderately powered car (500 to 700 hp)will benefit from a switch to only 2 speeds. Its easy too see the problem with wheel speed in your scenario...but first you have to have the power to overcome the chassis. I would guess that any car with a 1000+ hp (like Andys) will have the power/wheel speed to overcome a chassis on launch. on calming down the launch, that has always been the conventional wisdom..i dont see the error in pointing that out.

Re: Why not use 727 like a glide [Re: Dart451] #624140
03/09/10 03:30 PM
03/09/10 03:30 PM
Camanche IA
J
jakesz28 Offline
jakesz28  Offline
J

Camanche IA

Quote:

the only problem i see with this scenario, is most cars running PG are light and over powered. That acomplishes two things, it calms down the launch making the car more consistant and applies the torque more evenly thru-out the 1/4. In your case, you do not have too much TQ/HP to begin with plus your car may not be very light(requiring more TQ multiplication to get it moving). IMHO, you will simply have a slower car, this is a case where the numbers..altho acurate..dont add up in the real world of drag racing.

Quote:

I got more hp then my friend that runs a glide and he 60' in the low 1.3 area with more tuning needed. So not worried about being under powered.

It's funny I didn't see the op saying any thing about the power his car makes.

But I do know about his friend thats running a glide.

Re: Why not use 727 like a glide [Re: Monte_Smith] #624141
03/09/10 03:36 PM
03/09/10 03:36 PM
Camanche IA
J
jakesz28 Offline
jakesz28  Offline
J

Camanche IA
Quote:

Wheel speed is what gets a car down the track quick, not rpm. Now I am generally talking about cars with pretty big power. Properly geared and with the right converter, most cars I have ever switched from 3 speed to powerglide, just became animals on the starting line, because of the wheel speed and it takes serious work to get it under control, but when you do, it will work. Everyone pays way too much attention to 60 foot times anyway. 330 times are what is important and a quick 60, does not always equate to quick 330. Got to have wheel speed to be fast. A ton of gear in the rear, low trans ratio and super loose converter, may scream the engine and sound tough, but most are not going anywhere, just making noise...
Ask Andy Mayes about his car becoming an instant tire smoker with the glide and see if he thinks it calmed his down.. This is not the case for every car, but I can't stand to see those vague generalities about different things just thrown out here, every time a discussion comes up. Every time this comes up, we hear "calms the car, slows it down, kills 60ft, etc, etc" and I know for a fact, that is not always the case, or even the majority of the cases.

Monte

Monte, when I switched converters my car slowed down in the 60' area and picked up at the 330'. I would have to agree the 60' time isn't the best area to look on the slip.

Re: Why not use 727 like a glide [Re: jakesz28] #624142
03/09/10 05:41 PM
03/09/10 05:41 PM
IL
D
Dart451 Offline OP
mopar
Dart451  Offline OP
mopar
D

IL
Quote:

Quote:

the only problem i see with this scenario, is most cars running PG are light and over powered. That acomplishes two things, it calms down the launch making the car more consistant and applies the torque more evenly thru-out the 1/4. In your case, you do not have too much TQ/HP to begin with plus your car may not be very light(requiring more TQ multiplication to get it moving). IMHO, you will simply have a slower car, this is a case where the numbers..altho acurate..dont add up in the real world of drag racing.

Quote:

I got more hp then my friend that runs a glide and he 60' in the low 1.3 area with more tuning needed. So not worried about being under powered.

It's funny I didn't see the op saying any thing about the power his car makes.

But I do know about his friend thats running a glide.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3