05/23/08 09:42 AM
05/23/08 09:42 AM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
OK in keeping with an idea that I may go with a 360 for my new ride for drivability, I cant stand the normal black mopar performance valve covers or the chrome ones. Its like looking at a small block chevy.

This is one of the reasons and wanted to go with a 5.7. because its different. So if I go with a small block motor, 360/340, ect, how can a guy make it look more street rod looking if that makes sense? Cooler in appearance. maybe old school.

I would be open to a 6 pack set up as I am getting ready to put my 340 in my dart, which has a six pack set up. How is the mileage on these for the most part until you get on them? maybe a six pack, nice custom air cleaner and some cool valve covers would do the trick?

I am just tossing ideas around. I could even plasma cut a set of standard orange valve covers, and add in the 'CHRUSLER FIRE POWER" logo out of some damaged 392 HEMI valve covers, do the body work on them, ect for something different?

My whole idea of a street rod is to be different but as stated in another post, I may need to stick with my skill level and I dont know squat about efi.

Dave

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: RUMBLON] #61959
05/23/08 11:21 PM
05/23/08 11:21 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I've seen the cast aluminum covers painted engine color then have the raised part polished or painted a different color, those were both "different". Gene

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: RUMBLON] #61960
05/24/08 08:06 AM
05/24/08 08:06 AM
Montana
F
FuryUs Offline
master
FuryUs  Offline
master
F

Montana
Cal custom or M/T? How about the early 273 covers with the fins applied or just stockers painted in wrinkle black?

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: poorboy] #61961
05/24/08 08:10 AM
05/24/08 08:10 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
well, this is slightly [sorta] off topic, but i "disguized" my cousin charlie's motor for his 29A roadster pickup. the idea of using up a pair of mashed valve covers is a good idea. i wanted to go with a set of "internationals" , but charlie didn't like that. so i did this....
look real close at the one on the right.....these fit up really good, with the mounting studs the only work involved. and the welding of the pvc & the breather holes too.....i will add those in an inconspicuous place on the intake.

Last edited by moparx; 05/24/08 08:14 AM.
Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: moparx] #61962
05/25/08 02:34 AM
05/25/08 02:34 AM
levittown pa
fstfish66 Offline
top fuel
fstfish66  Offline
top fuel

levittown pa
i have a vintage set of cal custom valve covers,for a small block,,and a set fo a big block,,i too didnt want the usuall mopar performance valve covers,, if you would like pics of mine e mail me i wil e mail you pics,, they are in perfect conddition,,all fins are very nice,, they just need cleaning,,they are the perfect look for a vintage hot rod/street rod..
fstfish66@aol.com

1966 barracuda prostreeter super charged 340(SOLD)
1940 dodge coupe 241 hemi street rod
2014 ram express hemi 4x4 dailey driver
2015 cherokee
2013 R/T classic
Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: moparx] #61963
05/26/08 02:15 PM
05/26/08 02:15 PM
Montana
F
FuryUs Offline
master
FuryUs  Offline
master
F

Montana
Quote:

look real close at the one on the right...

OK, I don't see anything different from left to right except the lettering is not done. What's the secret?

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: FuryUs] #61964
05/27/08 07:55 AM
05/27/08 07:55 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Quote:

Quote:

look real close at the one on the right...

OK, I don't see anything different from left to right except the lettering is not done. What's the secret?

you can just barely see "chevy orange"[sorry about the "swear word".. ] under the one corner..........we will hide that with an olds gasket. also, i'm fabbing up an oil fill tube that doesn't look like the common chrome pipe deal. it and the thermostat housing will be olds green. i think it will look good. charlie is also going to get those polished stainless "ram horn" exhaust manifolds from speedway motors.

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: moparx] #61965
05/27/08 06:48 PM
05/27/08 06:48 PM
Montana
F
FuryUs Offline
master
FuryUs  Offline
master
F

Montana
Ah... I actually saw that and thought it was just a gasket under there peeking out. Neat.

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: poorboy] #61966
06/02/08 08:05 PM
06/02/08 08:05 PM
Conklin, N.Y.
goldchargerdan Offline
enthusiast
goldchargerdan  Offline
enthusiast

Conklin, N.Y.
Quote:

I've seen the cast aluminum covers painted engine color then have the raised part polished or painted a different color, those were both "different". Gene

I think this is what Gene was talking about. These are Edelbrock finned aluminum that I've had since I was about 15-can't even remeber where they came from. I Masked off the top half and squirted them the same turquoise as the block and hit the top with a Scotch pad to polish the tops of the fins.

4465010-vcov.jpg (133 downloads)
Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: goldchargerdan] #61967
06/04/08 09:31 AM
06/04/08 09:31 AM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
Lawfish, you came over to rods so you don't have to play by the rules. Now, you ask what you should run. Make up your mind!

If you run a 6 pack, I'd try to find some vintage Edelbrocks.
Figure out what theme you are going for and scour swap meets and ebay. The new fabbed covers can be welded up and detail painted too....

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve cov [Re: RodStRace] #61968
06/05/08 12:06 AM
06/05/08 12:06 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'd just throw a slant 6 in there. Too bad you didn't keep the one from the dart.

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: RodStRace] #61969
06/05/08 12:26 AM
06/05/08 12:26 AM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Quote:

Lawfish, you came over to rods so you don't have to play by the rules. Now, you ask what you should run. Make up your mind!

If you run a 6 pack, I'd try to find some vintage Edelbrocks.
Figure out what theme you are going for and scour swap meets and ebay. The new fabbed covers can be welded up and detail painted too....

I have news for you a couple of years back I asked n the main /general section about a rod site because I had a 32 plymouth rumble seat couple. During the time I asked. Tom asked if we would like a rod page on here!!!! This is the result from those posts. I have been on this page far longer than you know. I simply dont know what works well because its totally different and am now learnng as I have been for some time.

I know what I wnat body, trim, ect. its the dependable mill I am worried about.

DB

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: RUMBLON] #61970
06/05/08 02:15 PM
06/05/08 02:15 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
I know you've been here a long time (although I didn't know you were a driving force for this section); I was teasing!!!
There have been a number of SB covers.
Edelbrock curved script (pretty rare)
late model Edelbrock (the blocky ones)
the new Edelbrocks
The stock style chrome
The flat chrome
The Gold and Blue DC style
Morosos
M/T
late model MP
new fabbed aluminum
Cal Custom (?)
Holley (Like the M/T)
Most have been shown here and elsewhere.
I haven't seen any others I can remember.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch....k=KeywordSearch

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: RodStRace] #61971
06/05/08 04:24 PM
06/05/08 04:24 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
I think what I am going to end up doing now is doing the body/ paint and frame, suspension and plan on doing a 5.7 EFI HEMI.

I have zero experience but am now working with another officer who is a U.T.I. graduate and a CHEBBIE buy who has a lot of EFI experience

I am going to help him out with a plAce to shoot his (DONT TELL ANYONE) CHEVELLE- and give him some help and hes going to help me do the Fatman conversion, 4 link or something better than the springs out back, something with some adjustability and he will help do the EFI and conversion. Being he has an EFI chevelle that runs, I will give it a chance.

Hes a nice guy and mopar guys around here and few and far between. Hes just happy to have a buddy with a decent shop and some energy.

I will take all the help I can get.

Oh and I was no driving force in this page just looking for something similar and brought it up when Tom/ moparts suggested it. I was on here hot and heavy for a while when I had the 32 (RUMBLON) PLYMOUTH, bought a 392 HEMI adjustable valve motor, was getting ready to start it when I changed gears and was preparing to move to Idaho. I sat in it with my son and had little room to sit and decided I wanted something else a bit bigger and needed cash- like always and sold it.

I guess my down fall is that I like them all and I go back and forth in entusiasm and have the attention span of a Ferret on a double espresso !

Dave

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve cov #61972
06/05/08 04:57 PM
06/05/08 04:57 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Quote:

I'd just throw a slant 6 in there. Too bad you didn't keep the one from the dart.

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve cov [Re: RUMBLON] #61973
06/05/08 11:15 PM
06/05/08 11:15 PM
N.Wilkesboro,NC
D
DusterKrazy Offline
master
DusterKrazy  Offline
master
D

N.Wilkesboro,NC
Quote:

Quote:

Nothing wrong with a slant especially with gas being over $4 a gallon. You'd have reliability and with the addition of a header and small 4bbl it'would still be good on gas. I think it would be cool and different

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: RodStRace] #61974
06/06/08 01:22 PM
06/06/08 01:22 PM
Escondido, CA
kick_the_reverb Offline
mopar
kick_the_reverb  Offline
mopar

Escondido, CA
Quote:

I know you've been here a long time (although I didn't know you were a driving force for this section); I was teasing!!!
the new Edelbrocks
The stock style chrome
The flat chrome
Morosos
M/T
late model MP
new fabbed aluminum
Cal Custom (?)
Holley (Like the M/T)

OK, I know this is thread is drifting all over the place, but to add to the above info, there are also:
CP products cast aluminum ribbed covers in Black wrinkle or polished. They look sorta like the M/T but they have a blank rectangle in the middle (for putting a name plate, I guess). They're less boxy, maybe they're more like the MP covers.

Here's the story - the World Wide Autoparts store I go to had a Chevy SB display motor that had alumimum covers on it. Recently the store was taken over by Carquest. I looked at the cool valve covers and saw that they were made by Ansen. I had a feeling these have been there for a LOOOOOOOONG time and they're not available. I asked if they had something like this for a SB Mopar. They mentioned they might have something from CP Products. I told them - that's probably chrome, I don't want chrome. They suggested the Edelebrock, I said no thank$$$. Then they opened the CP products catalog and - what do you know, they do have cast aluminum covers, he looked up the part number and was surprised to see that he had a set of black wrinkle ones in stock. So I took a look at them, asked the price - $60 (including tax, I think). I said, for this cheap, I'll grab them. All the stock covers I had were crap. So they're waiting until I get my Edelbrock heads.
CP products also has a polished model.
I wish Edelbrock issues their old style ribbed ones for SBM (they have them for everything else!)

Ran

"Hey mister, something's wrong with your car, it idles roughly" - number one comment I got in Israel when daily driving a 70 Barracuda with a lopey cam.

Currently working on - 1966 Dodge A100 van 318/auto
Finally - disc brakes on the front.
In the plans - rear disc brakes, B&M 250 blower
Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: kick_the_reverb] #61975
06/06/08 03:35 PM
06/06/08 03:35 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Quote:

Quote:

the new Edelbrocks
The stock style chrome
The flat chrome
Morosos
M/T
late model MP
new fabbed aluminum
Cal Custom (?)
Holley (Like the M/T)

OK, I know this is thread is drifting all over the place, but to add to the above info, there are also:
CP products cast aluminum ribbed covers in Black wrinkle or polished. They look sorta like the M/T but they have a blank rectangle in the middle (for putting a name plate, I guess). They're less boxy, maybe they're more like the MP covers.

Here's the story - the World Wide Autoparts store I go to had a Chevy SB display motor that had alumimum covers on it. Recently the store was taken over by Carquest. I looked at the cool valve covers and saw that they were made by Ansen. I had a feeling these have been there for a LOOOOOOOONG time and they're not available. I asked if they had something like this for a SB Mopar. They mentioned they might have something from CP Products. I told them - that's probably chrome, I don't want chrome. They suggested the Edelebrock, I said no thank$$$. Then they opened the CP products catalog and - what do you know, they do have cast aluminum covers, he looked up the part number and was surprised to see that he had a set of black wrinkle ones in stock. So I took a look at them, asked the price - $60 (including tax, I think). I said, for this cheap, I'll grab them. All the stock covers I had were crap. So they're waiting until I get my Edelbrock heads.
CP products also has a polished model.
I wish Edelbrock issues their old style ribbed ones for SBM (they have them for everything else!)

Ran

so- have any pics of them?

Dave

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: RUMBLON] #61976
06/06/08 06:12 PM
06/06/08 06:12 PM
Escondido, CA
kick_the_reverb Offline
mopar
kick_the_reverb  Offline
mopar

Escondido, CA
Quote:

Dave

Since you asked so nicely, I went down to the garage, brought them up and took pics for you:

And, I just remembered I saw a pic of Weiand valve covers a while ago, here it is, from user Jacksdad on moparchat.com:

Hope this helps,
Ran

"Hey mister, something's wrong with your car, it idles roughly" - number one comment I got in Israel when daily driving a 70 Barracuda with a lopey cam.

Currently working on - 1966 Dodge A100 van 318/auto
Finally - disc brakes on the front.
In the plans - rear disc brakes, B&M 250 blower
Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? [Re: kick_the_reverb] #61977
06/06/08 07:23 PM
06/06/08 07:23 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Since you asked so nicely, I went down to the garage, brought them up and took pics for you:

And, I just remembered I saw a pic of Weiand valve covers a while ago, here it is, from user Jacksdad on moparchat.com:

Hope this helps,
Ran

Ran, thanks for the pics. Those are pretty nice for $60-75 range. I didnt know they made those.

I think I may have to grab a couple of sets before they dont make them any more. How do you think the bkack would take a different color paint, think it would take OK? I dont have anything in mine, but for the price a few sets in the shed would be cool for various projects down the road.

LAWFISH

Page 1 of 2 1 2