Moparts

NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers?

Posted By: RUMBLON

NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 05/23/08 01:42 PM

OK in keeping with an idea that I may go with a 360 for my new ride for drivability, I cant stand the normal black mopar performance valve covers or the chrome ones. Its like looking at a small block chevy.

This is one of the reasons and wanted to go with a 5.7. because its different. So if I go with a small block motor, 360/340, ect, how can a guy make it look more street rod looking if that makes sense? Cooler in appearance. maybe old school.

I would be open to a 6 pack set up as I am getting ready to put my 340 in my dart, which has a six pack set up. How is the mileage on these for the most part until you get on them? maybe a six pack, nice custom air cleaner and some cool valve covers would do the trick?

I am just tossing ideas around. I could even plasma cut a set of standard orange valve covers, and add in the 'CHRUSLER FIRE POWER" logo out of some damaged 392 HEMI valve covers, do the body work on them, ect for something different?

My whole idea of a street rod is to be different but as stated in another post, I may need to stick with my skill level and I dont know squat about efi.

Dave
Posted By: poorboy

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 05/24/08 03:21 AM

I've seen the cast aluminum covers painted engine color then have the raised part polished or painted a different color, those were both "different". Gene
Posted By: FuryUs

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 05/24/08 12:06 PM

Cal custom or M/T? How about the early 273 covers with the fins applied or just stockers painted in wrinkle black?
Posted By: moparx

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 05/24/08 12:10 PM

well, this is slightly [sorta] off topic, but i "disguized" my cousin charlie's motor for his 29A roadster pickup. the idea of using up a pair of mashed valve covers is a good idea. i wanted to go with a set of "internationals" , but charlie didn't like that. so i did this....
look real close at the one on the right.....these fit up really good, with the mounting studs the only work involved. and the welding of the pvc & the breather holes too.....i will add those in an inconspicuous place on the intake.

Attached picture 4448178-IM002189(Small).JPG
Posted By: fstfish66

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 05/25/08 06:34 AM

i have a vintage set of cal custom valve covers,for a small block,,and a set fo a big block,,i too didnt want the usuall mopar performance valve covers,, if you would like pics of mine e mail me i wil e mail you pics,, they are in perfect conddition,,all fins are very nice,, they just need cleaning,,they are the perfect look for a vintage hot rod/street rod..
fstfish66@aol.com

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 05/26/08 06:15 PM

Quote:

look real close at the one on the right...

OK, I don't see anything different from left to right except the lettering is not done. What's the secret?

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 05/27/08 11:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

look real close at the one on the right...

OK, I don't see anything different from left to right except the lettering is not done. What's the secret?

you can just barely see "chevy orange"[sorry about the "swear word".. ] under the one corner..........we will hide that with an olds gasket. also, i'm fabbing up an oil fill tube that doesn't look like the common chrome pipe deal. it and the thermostat housing will be olds green. i think it will look good. charlie is also going to get those polished stainless "ram horn" exhaust manifolds from speedway motors.

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 05/27/08 10:48 PM

Ah... I actually saw that and thought it was just a gasket under there peeking out. Neat.
Posted By: goldchargerdan

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 06/03/08 12:05 AM

Quote:

I've seen the cast aluminum covers painted engine color then have the raised part polished or painted a different color, those were both "different". Gene

I think this is what Gene was talking about. These are Edelbrock finned aluminum that I've had since I was about 15-can't even remeber where they came from. I Masked off the top half and squirted them the same turquoise as the block and hit the top with a Scotch pad to polish the tops of the fins.

Attached picture 4465010-vcov.jpg
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 06/04/08 01:31 PM

Lawfish, you came over to rods so you don't have to play by the rules. Now, you ask what you should run. Make up your mind!

If you run a 6 pack, I'd try to find some vintage Edelbrocks.
Figure out what theme you are going for and scour swap meets and ebay. The new fabbed covers can be welded up and detail painted too....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve cov - 06/05/08 04:06 AM

I'd just throw a slant 6 in there. Too bad you didn't keep the one from the dart.

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 06/05/08 04:26 AM

Quote:

Lawfish, you came over to rods so you don't have to play by the rules. Now, you ask what you should run. Make up your mind!

If you run a 6 pack, I'd try to find some vintage Edelbrocks.
Figure out what theme you are going for and scour swap meets and ebay. The new fabbed covers can be welded up and detail painted too....

I have news for you a couple of years back I asked n the main /general section about a rod site because I had a 32 plymouth rumble seat couple. During the time I asked. Tom asked if we would like a rod page on here!!!! This is the result from those posts. I have been on this page far longer than you know. I simply dont know what works well because its totally different and am now learnng as I have been for some time.

I know what I wnat body, trim, ect. its the dependable mill I am worried about.

DB

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 06/05/08 06:15 PM

I know you've been here a long time (although I didn't know you were a driving force for this section); I was teasing!!!
There have been a number of SB covers.
Edelbrock curved script (pretty rare)
late model Edelbrock (the blocky ones)
the new Edelbrocks
The stock style chrome
The flat chrome
The Gold and Blue DC style
Morosos
M/T
late model MP
new fabbed aluminum
Cal Custom (?)
Holley (Like the M/T)
Most have been shown here and elsewhere.
I haven't seen any others I can remember.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch....k=KeywordSearch

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 06/05/08 08:24 PM

I think what I am going to end up doing now is doing the body/ paint and frame, suspension and plan on doing a 5.7 EFI HEMI.

I have zero experience but am now working with another officer who is a U.T.I. graduate and a CHEBBIE buy who has a lot of EFI experience

I am going to help him out with a plAce to shoot his (DONT TELL ANYONE) CHEVELLE- and give him some help and hes going to help me do the Fatman conversion, 4 link or something better than the springs out back, something with some adjustability and he will help do the EFI and conversion. Being he has an EFI chevelle that runs, I will give it a chance.

Hes a nice guy and mopar guys around here and few and far between. Hes just happy to have a buddy with a decent shop and some energy.

I will take all the help I can get.

Oh and I was no driving force in this page just looking for something similar and brought it up when Tom/ moparts suggested it. I was on here hot and heavy for a while when I had the 32 (RUMBLON) PLYMOUTH, bought a 392 HEMI adjustable valve motor, was getting ready to start it when I changed gears and was preparing to move to Idaho. I sat in it with my son and had little room to sit and decided I wanted something else a bit bigger and needed cash- like always and sold it.

I guess my down fall is that I like them all and I go back and forth in entusiasm and have the attention span of a Ferret on a double espresso !

Dave

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve cov - 06/05/08 08:57 PM

Quote:

I'd just throw a slant 6 in there. Too bad you didn't keep the one from the dart.

Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve cov - 06/06/08 03:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nothing wrong with a slant especially with gas being over $4 a gallon. You'd have reliability and with the addition of a header and small 4bbl it'would still be good on gas. I think it would be cool and different
Posted By: kick_the_reverb

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 06/06/08 05:22 PM

Quote:

I know you've been here a long time (although I didn't know you were a driving force for this section); I was teasing!!!
the new Edelbrocks
The stock style chrome
The flat chrome
Morosos
M/T
late model MP
new fabbed aluminum
Cal Custom (?)
Holley (Like the M/T)

OK, I know this is thread is drifting all over the place, but to add to the above info, there are also:
CP products cast aluminum ribbed covers in Black wrinkle or polished. They look sorta like the M/T but they have a blank rectangle in the middle (for putting a name plate, I guess). They're less boxy, maybe they're more like the MP covers.

Here's the story - the World Wide Autoparts store I go to had a Chevy SB display motor that had alumimum covers on it. Recently the store was taken over by Carquest. I looked at the cool valve covers and saw that they were made by Ansen. I had a feeling these have been there for a LOOOOOOOONG time and they're not available. I asked if they had something like this for a SB Mopar. They mentioned they might have something from CP Products. I told them - that's probably chrome, I don't want chrome. They suggested the Edelebrock, I said no thank$$$. Then they opened the CP products catalog and - what do you know, they do have cast aluminum covers, he looked up the part number and was surprised to see that he had a set of black wrinkle ones in stock. So I took a look at them, asked the price - $60 (including tax, I think). I said, for this cheap, I'll grab them. All the stock covers I had were crap. So they're waiting until I get my Edelbrock heads.
CP products also has a polished model.
I wish Edelbrock issues their old style ribbed ones for SBM (they have them for everything else!)

Ran

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 06/06/08 07:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the new Edelbrocks
The stock style chrome
The flat chrome
Morosos
M/T
late model MP
new fabbed aluminum
Cal Custom (?)
Holley (Like the M/T)

OK, I know this is thread is drifting all over the place, but to add to the above info, there are also:
CP products cast aluminum ribbed covers in Black wrinkle or polished. They look sorta like the M/T but they have a blank rectangle in the middle (for putting a name plate, I guess). They're less boxy, maybe they're more like the MP covers.

Here's the story - the World Wide Autoparts store I go to had a Chevy SB display motor that had alumimum covers on it. Recently the store was taken over by Carquest. I looked at the cool valve covers and saw that they were made by Ansen. I had a feeling these have been there for a LOOOOOOOONG time and they're not available. I asked if they had something like this for a SB Mopar. They mentioned they might have something from CP Products. I told them - that's probably chrome, I don't want chrome. They suggested the Edelebrock, I said no thank$$$. Then they opened the CP products catalog and - what do you know, they do have cast aluminum covers, he looked up the part number and was surprised to see that he had a set of black wrinkle ones in stock. So I took a look at them, asked the price - $60 (including tax, I think). I said, for this cheap, I'll grab them. All the stock covers I had were crap. So they're waiting until I get my Edelbrock heads.
CP products also has a polished model.
I wish Edelbrock issues their old style ribbed ones for SBM (they have them for everything else!)

Ran

so- have any pics of them?

Dave

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 06/06/08 10:12 PM

Quote:

Dave

Since you asked so nicely, I went down to the garage, brought them up and took pics for you:

And, I just remembered I saw a pic of Weiand valve covers a while ago, here it is, from user Jacksdad on moparchat.com:

Hope this helps,
Ran

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 06/06/08 11:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Since you asked so nicely, I went down to the garage, brought them up and took pics for you:

And, I just remembered I saw a pic of Weiand valve covers a while ago, here it is, from user Jacksdad on moparchat.com:

Hope this helps,
Ran

Ran, thanks for the pics. Those are pretty nice for $60-75 range. I didnt know they made those.

I think I may have to grab a couple of sets before they dont make them any more. How do you think the bkack would take a different color paint, think it would take OK? I dont have anything in mine, but for the price a few sets in the shed would be cool for various projects down the road.

LAWFISH

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 06/07/08 12:31 AM

I would say if you want to paint them, get the polished model, the black wrinkle paint would probably be a hassle to strip. It would be more expensive, but cheaper than the MP ones (which I doubt are of higher quality).

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 06/07/08 12:58 AM

if you look closely, it appears the weiand script "box" is the same as the cp blank "box". the ribs look identical. i wonder if these are somehow cast by the same foundry and there are different "core box blanks" used for different manufactures ?

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 06/07/08 01:07 AM

Here's what I wrote in this thread about those Weiand covers:
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post4472331

"These look to be the same ones but without the top of the fins machined, with the Weiand logo put in the empty rectangle and of course with some creative painting. I suspect you can do the same with the polished model of the CP Proucts valve covers (a little more expensive than the black wrinkle that I have).
If I'm not mistaken, PAW also sells these, but they are more expensive there."

So, yes, I think they are the same.
Ran

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 06/07/08 02:14 AM

Quote:

Here's what I wrote in this thread about those Weiand covers:
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post4472331

"These look to be the same ones but without the top of the fins machined, with the Weiand logo put in the empty rectangle and of course with some creative painting. I suspect you can do the same with the polished model of the CP Proucts valve covers (a little more expensive than the black wrinkle that I have).
If I'm not mistaken, PAW also sells these, but they are more expensive there."

So, yes, I think they are the same.
Ran

VERRRRRRRRY INTERESSSSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: BSharp

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 08/14/08 12:42 PM

I just finished these and posted pics on the weekend, so you may have missed them.

I almost went with these because that blank box is like it was made for those fish emblems, but I decided I wanted something a little smoother looking.
Quote:

Attached picture 4618106-coverssmall.jpg
Posted By: moprod

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 08/15/08 02:13 AM

Speaking of finned covers, how do you powdercoat finned covers and keep fins shiney?

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 08/15/08 02:51 AM

Quote:

Speaking of finned covers, how do you powdercoat finned covers and keep fins shiney?

I'd guess you would powdercoat the color, polish the ribs, then powdercoat the clear...

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 08/15/08 04:38 AM

Quote:

I just finished these and posted pics on the weekend, so you may have missed them.

I almost went with these because that blank box is like it was made for those fish emblems, but I decided I wanted something a little smoother looking.
Quote:

Thats a nice touch, did you stick painted emblems on them? and if yes, how so?

Dave
Posted By: BSharp

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 08/15/08 11:25 AM

I had some old fender emblems that for some reason had the original studs cut off the back. I ran some small machine screws up from inside the cover, leaving a bit of thread on top. I sealed the heads with JB, and JB'd the fish to the stubs. There's enough of a cavity to hold the epoxy.
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 03/21/12 10:47 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...c#ht_1038wt_825 I have a set of these on my car. I also have a spare set. I like that there's just fins and no logo or square etc.
Posted By: cuhemida

Re: NE1 make a set of really cool small block valve covers? - 03/21/12 10:46 PM

no biggy get a cope and a drag some casting sand and a good hot fire and cast your own
© 2024 Moparts Forums